AeroStars

Chapter I: The Wesdon Turns 

December 10th, 1917

It was the lowest day in the life of an adult still in its infancy. The tragic news spread throughout Wesdon and at every seaport and town still standing from the Great War very quickly like a diease that seemed to be untreatable and more and more unstoppable than ever before. It makes even the strongest people in the world feel humbled; helpless and sometimes even to the point of being gravely ill. The death of Gregory's father Maxim seemed to be the final dagger in the heart of the young eighteen year old future ace pilot. They promised that Maxim would return from the war safely because he was serectly delivering cargo and wouldn't be attacked. Then again; they said that they would win the Great War much sooner than they claim. In the days that followed the last breath of the super-pilot; the AeroStar family which was already suffering due to an earlier death of Maxim's wife Claris now had to come to terms of another death basically being shoved down the young 18 year old's Adam's Apple. It's amazing; bordering on frightening that Gregory hasn't completely broken down to the point beyond repair. However; he was getting dangerously close. He didn't know who to blame.... the airplane which many say was the cause; the general idea of war itself which has done nothing but give people even more grief; or even heaven forbid; himself for allowing his father to on the spot change his beliefs.......But right now; it doesn't even matter anymore...Gregory knew of one thing: Honor thy father and thy mother regardless of who bares responability.

There stood a rocky; unforgiving cliff just a walking distance away from the Wesdon Chruch of the White Phoenix. It was almost noon with the sun spread high up in the sky. But the cheery sun couldn't wash away the ocean of sadness that was displayed all around near that faithful cliff. On top of that cliff were many furries: Gregory AeroStar; 18 years young; along with his younger brother Phillip and his sister Sally AeroStar. Also on the cliff were their closest neigbours: Salah Karnage; the wife of Ramon Karnage who was currently fighting in the war; their oldest son Farris Karnage; their oldest daughter Tanya Karnage; and their other sons Don Karnage and Lucas Karnage. Gregory also reserved presence for Durin Percy and Pledge Mason [mainly because they worked for Maxim and were dismissed from the Great War earlier.] who were drafted into the war along with Karneaux Pierre-Bossuard, Ian Wiser, Eric Mann, Mercer Mann, Dalton Pauldine and Patty Pauldine. Also the entire chruch choir was there as they were singing the musical hymns that they had known over the years

"Ashes to Ashes.......Dust to Dust......Amen." Paul said quietly, seriously as he holds the metal urn up in the usual way. He was a brown lion wearing the religious white robes with a silver outline of a dove which symbolized peace. Paul had seen other furries past on way too soon; ".....Members of the holy faith of the White Phoenix; we are gathered here today to pay our final respects and to grant a tribute by premission from the faith; to Wesdon's most respected aviator: Maxim AeroStar- The Navigator of Life. Even though his life was acutely cut short by the terrible turn of events, his soul was never empty....Neither was his life for that matter....Maxim was a person of courage and heart. He was a regular among the faith here at Wesdon. He has forever changed the lives of every person who has met him. A masterful pilot; he was a lover of aircraft since it was invented in 1903. However; he was able to exhibit self-control in his love for planes and never forgotten what was more important in life....."

"[Gregory? I wonder where Joe Macgee is?]" Farris asked quietly. Quiet enough that Paul didn't hear it. Farris Karnage is a grey fox/wolf hybrid [read: Don Karnage] who is wearing a golden edged black dress suit; dress black pants and dress black boots. There was also on the front of his suit he was wearing a poppy on the right side of his coat. He had known Gregory ever since he was a young lad of ten years old. They were considered best buddies and has been a shoulder for Gregory to cry on since losing his mother more than a year ago. Farris was holding a white rose; a sign of purity.

"[You know that Joe has an injured leg and couldn't make it due to the war effort. It's the same reason why Ramon and Garland aren't here....]" Gregory wispered back to Farris feeling in sorrow as he started to look teary-eyed; "[I don't think we should talk about at this time...]"

Now Gregory AeroStar was a medium brown sinea-colored bear who was wearing a green sweater; a large white scarf and green pants and is wearing a poppy on the left side of his sweater. He is also holding the pure symbolic white rose. According to the will that Maxim wrote: should he ever pass away; the oldest child of the family [read: Gregory AeroStar] would wear his father daily outfit: a green sweater; green pants and a white scarf (No; he doesn't have to wear the clothes that the deceased wore at the time.). Also written in the will is a provision that should he pass on that he would be cremated and his ashes would be spread across the ocean off the cliff of the Wesdon Chruch by the oldest son in the family.[read: Gregory AeroStar] Gregory would make a speech beforehand and then after the routine is completed; he and his closest friend [read: Farris Karnage] would throw their white rose into the sea. Gregory AeroStar was not going to dishonor his father for any reason now; however uncanny this memorial service was turning out to be. The good news about this if any was that the national press is staying away from this mainly because the war has taken up so much of their time. Regardless who was here; Gregory looked somewhat unstable and that instability was starting to increase.

"[I see.]" Farris wispered on no one while letting out a short sigh.

~ He is very close.~ he thought sadly.

While the two buddies were wispering themselves and reflecting on the past; the preacher continued;".....the power of empathy, compassion and love for each living being on this great design that our faithful creator has laid out onto us all. Amen." Paul then turned to the members of the faith to continue the memorial service. Farris caught a quick look at his buddy as Gregory sadness continue to build and build. He looked ever more unstable than normal.

~ I'm thankful that my family for helping Gregory get through this time. I've never seem Gregory like this. Maxim always had good taste. I didn't think Gregory could ever cope with this.~ he thought sadly; shaking his head. He couldn't shudder the thought of Gregory being in this poisition without the Karnage family there to help him with the legal and moral issues that would come his way in the many years to come. After all; Gregory was in techinal terms, the father and mother of this family and basically put into a role in which he has almost no experience in. All this shoved down his Adam's Apple; something he clearly wasn't ready for and Farris shuddered to think how his buddy could ever overcome this peace-breaking hardship

"I now turn to Gregory AeroStar who has been called to honor this wonderful pilot for whom we cherist...." Paul said seriously as he looked kindly at the fallen AeroStar. Gregory looked partly ashamed; however, he wasn't about to disobey his father and dishonor his mother for the sake of ending these unfortunate turn of events.

~ We tried the best we could however by the time we found him, he had drowned beyond saving. I'm sorry Gregory.~ was the thought that continues to haunt him to this day. Hearing those words directly from Durin and Pledge; as much as they were friends of _his_ father made him rethink about his father's role in the war. His role in trying to find the truths behind the tension in a world gone insane. Gregory gives Paul the symbolic white rose gently while Paul kindly give Gregory the metal urn containing what was basically Maxim's soul. (Don't ask what it's made of because that's a secret.) Gregory then advances past Paul and hugs the urn close to his heart. He had never given a speech before and yet he seemly knew exactly what to say without any practice. The last thought he had was the fact his father died while driving an airplane- a cold, faceless machine. He [read: Gregory] had a huge obsession with it and that may have cost his father's life in the process. This guilt was clearly shown as a tear streams down his cheekbone.

" Daddy?! You were and still are a wonder in the lives of people." Gregory said kindly as he points the urn across his body and looks up into the sky; "I know that you are up there and I know that you love me....and everyone who has been touched by your kindness." tears began to stream down while he smirks as the memories started to come to him almost without warning. " Joe Macgee was very proud of your skills of being a pilot. You still are the ace of the skies. I remember the many seeds of compassion that you sowed throughout your life: You brought Cape Suzette (Read: Usland) and Thembria relationships together. I remember the days when you would shriek everytime we slid down the stair railing in the old farmhouse when I was just a boy. I remember the number of times that Oniz flirted with you when she was your mechanic....."

Everyone was stunned at that comment for a moment considering that Oniz was single and this was a private matter that had no business in the church; "[She flirted? That explains the pink flowers....]" Durin wispered to Pledge feeling that he solved an important mystery.

"[When will you stop thinking about inaminate objects. Do you care about Maxim AeroStar....the pilot.....the man?]" Pledge wispered back; however the talking was too loud for Farris and Paul to listen too as both turn around and Farris looked annoyed. Annoyed that they would disturpt an important event for a young man still trying to cope with the second loss in his life over the last two years.

"Excuse me....please. It is rude to talk in the presence of the lord...." said Paul and for one moment in life there are complete slience; "Okay; Gregory.... continue." Paul then gives a motion to Farris to turn around and Farris obeys without question and also stops being annoyed.

"Let's keep this under wraps. Okay?" Gregory said as he nodded and then started to sob quietly getting to a part of the unpracticed speech that he may turely regret;"....... I remember it all and I know that you had a wonderful life. But; I'll never forget the day that you refuse to fight in a worthless war where nothing was gained and respect for life was completely lost. I sometimes wonder if the dream was worth persuing? But I know that you loved people and we must indeed go on in life. I know that you would have wanted it that way. I hope that you would understand; because quite frankly, I wonder if Garland wasn't joking when he stated that flying was `The next step in the ultimate evil.' "

That line was a complete shock to everyone; particually to Salah Karnage. Her grandfather Garland Karnage who was also fighting in the war had stated many times in the past that the airplane was considered a tool of the devil; but for years said that he was joking about it considered that he does accept sailing ships after all. For someone who was obsessed with planes over the years; she felt that Garland's jokes would starting to affect the young adult bear. Salah Karnage is an orange fox with peach circles surrounding her eyes. Her hair is a combination of brown and red pigments (mostly brown) and is somewhat curly. She is wearing a blue dress with a white sash coming down from the left shoulder in a slant to the right. Her oldest daughter Tanya who was 18 years old had light brown hair and is wearing a silk black dress. She was also wearing a red poppy similar to Farris'. Lucas and Don Karnage 13 and 17 respectly; were both wearing a black suit and black boots. Lucas is a brown wolf who has thick golden hair slightly over his green clear eyes. Don Karnage was an orange/brown fox/wolf hybrid who had a piece of ear chewed off by a gator on a wild hunt more than three years ago with his father Ramon Karnage. His teeth always seem to creep Gregory out somewhat and was very good in Shakepere acting.

"Gregory....I....Paul?" Farris yelled out almost in fear. He couldn't believe that Gregory would go againest his father's beliefs and also somehow let his grandfather's joke get the best of him. He also looks at Paul almost like he was actually looking for a sign; who in turn gives a motion to tell Farris to let Gregory continue. Farris obeys again without question as he begins to step forward and stand right beside Gregory as Gregory continued with the final part of his speech.

"Maybe he was right......" Gregory said almost in a counter-point fashion as he with great diffculty opens the metal urn and gently dumps out the ashes [read: Maxim's soul] of his father over the salt-water ocean; "Rest in peace Dad. Sleep well." Gregory's tears are starting to get bigger as he give Paul the metal urn once again and Paul hands him the white rose; " I shall see you again soon. I hope that mother will keep you company.......I'll.....never......forget you...." He and Farris then proceeded to throw their white roses into the ocean blue... Gregory trys takes a deep breath as tears continued to stream down his face getting bigger and bigger. Gregory then turns on his heel and looks at everyone who are completely stunned at the comments he had made towards his father. Feeling the shame and guilt completely overwhelm him; we fell to his knees and started to sob louder and louder; holding his hands over his face crying almost in complete shame. Farris apporches him and kneels right beside him.

"Here Gregory. Let me help you." Farris said compassionly as he embraced the sobbing young bear; like any buddy would.

"Thank you Farris." Gregory said sobbing loudly thinking the same way Farris was thinking: best friends until death do us part. In one perfect motion Gregory gets up onto his feet and both he and Farris walk away from the cliff and head towards the chruch of Wesdon slowly.

"Continue to pay your last respects. I'll see how Gregory is doing." Paul stated in his usual chruch-tone matter as he also walks away from the cliff along with the chruch choir.

Continuing on with the method contained in Maxim's will: After that; the most dear of neighbours (read: The Karnage Family) would throw something material or otherwise that would symbolize what Maxim AeroStar stood for. It was quite interesting considering that most would only allow family members to actually do this part of the process. Maxim believed that a loss of a family member affects everyone in the world and the closest neighbours who are considered to be the most affected when it comes to losing a fragile life and it must be honored accordly. Salah, Lucas and Tanya step forward and pay their last respects according to the will that Maxim put out. Salah throws one of Maxim's favorite mementos; a bronze-plated compass (read: featuring the AeroStar family crest; a large star with wings protecting it and a purple heart painted on the wings) that was actually found near the plane that crashed into the ocean. The compass symbolizes the need for direction to their destinies as proclaimed by the almighty. Salah steps back to allow Lucas Karnage to throw one of Maxim's famous cotton vanilla-colored scarfs into the salty ocean. The vanilla scarf symbolized purity and openness to the faith. Finally; Tanya Karnage steps forward.

"Rest in peace my friend. Sleep well." Tanya said weakly as she finally throws her lock of hair into the ocean symbolizing the tenderness of family and neighbout alike ;however she was still in shock over the comments Gregory had made. ~Gregory? It's only our father's beliefs; not your father's. Please pray that Gregory will continue on the path to his destiny my lord.~ Tanya, Lucas, Salah and Don Karnage turned around and all four members of the Karnage family exited the area. It was too overwhelming for Salah who felt that Gregory would've taken Garland's charges as a joke. Obviously; he didn't find them too funny.

The attention was finally turned towards the AeroStar family itself; or at least Gregory AeroStar's two children (read: Now he's the parents; after both of his parents passed on unexpectly and most people believed that Gregory could handle the job.). Sally AeroStar; the only daughter in the family, is a light brown bearcub who is currently wearing a white bow on the top of her head and a black dress with white lace. She also had light brown hair that looked quite a bit rough. Phillip AeroStar was a dark brown bearcub and the youngest of the three children of AeroStar. He is currently wearing a black suit and black pants. He had blue eyes just like his oldest brother and his biological father and a messy-brown hair that went over the left eye. Both were still grieving; more so over the death of their father then being in shock over Gregory's comments about flying. After all; flying wasn't really in their blood like it was with Gregory.

"Gregory never forgets mother..." Phillip says sadly remembering the speech that Gregory gave. Claris Tyen-AeroStar died earlier this year from a tragic event that could've been easily prevented.

"Not since the heart attack when she passed a year ago." Sally said with a sad sense of approval; "He always sounded like he caused her to pass on."

"Well; she used to work at a smoked meat plant and she used to bring meat which has a lot of fat on it." Phillip nodded sadly in approval seeing what damage products can do to irresponable furries; both who create them and who actually use them; "Meat isn't excatly healthy; isn't it?"

"I know." Sally said with the words that they were speaking only making them even sadder than before; "Gregory gave up on any meat products and he's a little relucant to eat fat-souble vegatables."

"Dad was devasted when she died....." Phillip said coming very come to actually sobbing out loud; "since then he and Gregory stopped eating meat altogether."

"Gregory was crying so loudly since that night...." Sally said continuing to feel that their lives were continuing to spiral out of control as a result of this war.

Overhearing the sadness was the AeroStars' next door neighbour Mr. Ian Wiser; a newspaper reporter and editorialist. He was a light brown rabbit was unusally small fuzzy ears and had a fairly small build. He was currently wearing a brown tenchcoat and brown pants along with a brown newsreporter's hat. At the front of his hat was a pink rose. Despite being a news reporter; he was not interested in covering the memorial service but to pay his last respects to a great hero in the minds of many from a personal point of view. As Mr. Wiser walked towards the grieving family; Karneaux Pierre-Bossuard; a brown frog wearing a black suit with black pants and black boots decided to take his leave and makes his exit from the cliff; going the same route that Gregory and Farris went.

"I'm sorry for your loss; Miss AeroStar." Mr. Wiser feeling geninuly upset for not supporting Maxim's cause as he also called Maxim a traitor; "You too Phillip."

"It's not your fault, Mr. Wiser." Sally said in response. ~ You have a right to an opinion and Gregory felt like he was betrayed by his father too.~ she thought sadly.

"I know Miss AeroStar;" Mr. Wiser said feeling that he should apolgize; for pratically doing nothing to help Maxim expect for his own self-interests as a reporter for the Wesdon Gazette; "but everyone feels very upset over this...."

"I realize how this war is negatively impacting people of this faith." Phillip said feeling sad for everything that has happened so far in a souless war which was spinning out of control; "People fighting againest each other. It's not normal......"

"But we cannot turn back now. This war has gotten too big and has gone too far." Mr. Wiser points out; "The evil isn't going away anytime soon and if it's not stopped now..."

Sally decided to finish the line Mr. Wiser had started agreeing with him on the issue of war; ".....everything that Maxim and people of Maxim had work so hard for will be completely washed away. We are going to have to fight now; to protect the fragile bond; not to mention to protect the world from its own destruction."

"Even if it was againest Maxim's word." Phillip said with a sigh and he added with Maxim's pride aside him; "Which it is...."

"How are you doing in Flight School Phillip?" Mr. Wiser asked attempting to change to subject to something that the AeroStar family could handle much better; "Mr. Skywinds training ya hard?"

"Not very well, I'm afraid." Phillip said feeling very embrassed about his preformance with Wilson; "Gregory has tried to help me get my pilot licence; however, I'm barely passin. Wilson's tests are tough; aren't they?"

"Well; it doesn't help with Gregory having no choice but to fulfill his obligations with delivery of cargo to the allied forces." Sally points out to prove how much the war has impacted people. Gregory cannot even take the time to give her and Phillip the proper support in their training of pilots because he has to fly shipments to the reserve forces who are currently on alert to join in the war if neccesary.

"Yeah; Gregory sez that we are suffering....." Phillip said as he started to look at the bright sky; still not believing that this was a very sunny day in the mist of all this sorrow; "This is only making it worse. Do you think so too; Mr. Wiser?"

"Nonsense! If anything; it should bring us together...." Mr. Wiser said trying hard to bring cheer to a very unstable situation with little sucess; "After all this town has been drifting away since the Great War has started....." Then Mr. Wiser decided to change the subject and try to get the death off their minds; "Miss AeroStar?"

"Yes; Mr. Wiser?" Sally asked looking a bit puzzled that Mr. Wiser would look like he wanted to change the subject. ~Mr. Wiser? I don't think this is such a good idea at this time.~ she thought thinking this would only be a distraction.

"How are you doing at school recently?" Mr. Wiser said without hiding any convictions of changing the subject. ~Oh! In that case; I'll talk about it....a little bit anyway.~ she thought relieved.

"Very well Mr. Wiser." Sally said sheeply; feeling a little embrassed at the about face of Mr. Wiser's line of questioning; " Straight A's so far."

"Do you have a career in mind?" Mr. Wiser asked in a nice tone.

"Well; I am trying to become an accountant...." Sally said was a relucent tone thinking about Gregory stern convictions for Sally and Phillip to learn how to fly; "However; Gregory would like me to become a navigator or even a pilot. He wants to expand the business further."

"Well; then he should let you be an accountant." Mr. Wiser said without even a second thought. As he was talking to the AeroStars. Dalton Pauldine, Patty Pauldine (both are bears), Eric Mann and Mercer Mann (both are chipmunks) all payed their last respects and exited the cliff in the same manner as all the others. That left Durin Percy and Pledge Mason left to last their last respects.

"Really? An accountant." Sally said surprised that Ian would side with her on this issue; "Would Gregory approve of it?"

"I'm sure that he would approve of it once he knows the importance of a bookkeeper; how they...." Ian Wiser said as he turns around to see Durin and Pledge finish paying their last respects and were starting to exit when Mr. Wiser called to Pledge; "Umm; excuse me Pledge?"

"Yes; Mr. Wiser?" Pledge responds as he and Durin both come to a stop. They approch Mr. Wiser looking a little puzzled that a newsreporter was asking for a request for two pilots. ~He proably wants to do an interview~ Durin thought. ~Not interested!~

"Could you deliver this for me?" Mr. Wiser said as he takes a letter-sized vanilla envelope out of his brown tenchcoat which has two opposite pockets; "Is Commander Wesdon planning to call up Gregory AeroStar into this war?"

"I don't know right now." Durin said proably the most intellgent thing he has said in this entire war so far, at least this revlation was more honest than his bone-headed opinions that he has spewed so far;"The Commander hasn't made a ruling yet at this time...."

"Durin?" Pledge said firmly and seemly upset at the cockyness of Durin's intellgence; "You are so self-full of it!"

"How can that be Pledge?" Durin asked feeling that he was very honest with his story about Commander Wesdon. If there was one flaw with Pledge; it was something like mono-paranoia. It basically makes someone believe that somebody is always something even when it's clear that they are not.

"Pledge? Durin answered my question already. You do not need to form an opinion about someone's conduct on a day like this...." Mr. Wiser said with a firm tone; having enough of Pledge's paranoia. He then turns to Durin as Pledge acts very surprised; "Thank you Durin. I just want to say that I hope that Commander Wesdon doesn't call him up to aid in the fight. Psychologically; Gregory is a total wreck right now. You saw him sobbing back there...."

"I know. It's going to take a long time;" Phillip state with a concerned tone ;"before Gregory ever regains his life fully."

"And that's why you and Sally must be even closer to Gregory than ever before. He needs you both right now...." Mr. Wiser stated as he thought of the friends that were helping him through this time and yet his family wasn't quite behind him; "Farris an Oniz can only do so much. They have their lives to live. They cannot do it alone. Gregory is this close to snapping...." Mr. Wiser showed a pincher-like claw that was only about an inch apart; showing the closeness of the end of Gregory himself. Sally saw the writing on the wall; it was time to act and act quickly and correctly.

"Let's go Phillip. I saw Farris and Gregory going to the chruch on the hill. Paul was following them." Sally said as she waved to Mr. Wiser as a symbol of a goodbye as she exits from the cliff much like everyone else has previously. Phillip checks his bearings and decides it time to visit Gregory once again. Prehaps he's finally come to his senses; and hopefully long enough to finally resume life once again.

"I'm on my way. Mr. Wiser thank you for the advice." Phillip said as he waves goodbye and exits behind Sally; running faster. Like it was some kind of race. A race that seemed too trivial over the importance of Maxim's pass-away. Mr. Wiser waves back and for the first time he actually started to reflect.

"You're welcome Aerostar. I hope this is the first step for healing." Mr. Wiser said as he turns around and gives his letter to Durin Percy; "Here's the letter Durin. I would like you to send this to my wife in Parris. She works as a nurse for the war effort. She'll proably think that I'm ignoring her and if I don't write to her she proably leave me. Thank you very much. Now please excuse me; I have some business to attend." Mr. Wiser waves goodbye to Durin and Pledge and exits from the cliff as Sally and Phillip exited just a few moments ago. Durin Percy was gloating.

"I'll do my very best." Durin saluted as Mr. Wiser left. Pledge was very cross now.

"Oh Durin!" Pledge said really disliking the way Ian defending the furries somewhat upsetting behaviour; "Now you are full of yourself again."

"Well; Pledge!" Durin said laughing at the sight of his friends' face. It was about time Pledge answer for the comments he has made to Durin over this war; "It seems that I'm not the only one who should be careful when they expressed thy opinion."

"You love to exploit that don't you." Pledge said then just realizing something; Parris was over Airbus' control; "Well; you have a very big problem to solve here."

"What do you mean problem?" Durin asked confused at the tone that Pledge was speaking. He seemed to be....laughing.

"Well; didn't you read the paper? Paris was recently taken over by the Airabus government." Pledge said as he exited the cliff area laughing like a little laughing hyena; "However; since you turely believe that you are all-high and mighty; then you don't seem to need my help at all." Durin suddenly realized it; he spoke of one opinion too many and he got caught with the goods and the dangerous task of flying into the dangerous area of Parris. Durin had been had: foot was neatly inserted into mouth.

"Hey come back here; you little joker you!" Durin yelled out as he ran after Pledge exiting the cliff; as Durin was about to catch him Pledge Mason runs faster. It was embrassing considering that Pledge was chewed off by Ian Wiser and then get caught by his own cocky tone of voice. However; the real concern was about come......Gregory AeroStar!....

*** 

..... and the walk towards the Wesdon Memorial Chruch. The Wesdon Memorial Chruch is one of the oldest insitutions in all of Wesdon. It was founded in 1435; two years after the settlement of Wesdon in 1433. It was a wooden chruch which has withstood the test of time and anger; as the religion that it preaches has long before it's existance. The wooden framed white painted chruch is raised on a hill that looks out towards the sea on top of the steps and was a short distance from the cliff where the memorial service for Maxim AeroStar was helded. The church seats about one thousand people and features sixteen windows with multi-color stained glass of familiar designs of the symbolic faith. The sturcture is edged on the top edges by four white doves (read: symbolizes the peace on four corners of the world) each encrusted with a piece of colored orb made of glass; each color represents an element of Earthia (read: blue=water/ice, yellow= thunder/wind, red= Fire/Heart and green= earth/soul). It has a rather large bell tower featuring four large bells, one was gold plated, one is silver plated, one is pure bronze and one is pure copper. The four bells are rung every hour on the hour by four mechinized statues; each representing the "Four Elemental Avias Spirits" of the White Phoenix faith (read: Firebird the spirit of fire and magma, FrostAvis the spirit of the water, ocean and the ice regions, ThunderJay the spirit of lightning, wind and weather, and Ravendorf the spirit of the earth and is the guard of the gate leading to Sprititual Disconnectness.) They are encased by four clock face covered in opaque white glass. On top of the bell tower features an iron satute of the White Phoenix; the leader of the faith holding a white dove from his outstreched hands; symbolizing the love and peace from the creator and a future that all furry being must share. It was a sacred beauty that would be a disgrace to destory. Next to the church is a stairway which leads to a memorial gardens; where more than five hundred people are buried there. There are flowers scattered randomly about; defending the deceased from harm. Standing near the front of the gate leading into the memorial gardens; there was a grantie stone with the engraving: HERE LIES CLARIS (1875-1917) to the left front side; MAXIM AEROSTAR (1878- ) to the right front side. The stone had a onyx cross on top of it. Sally and Phillip AeroStar have just entered to a light gust of wind and sunny skies. Phillip and Sally were both running; huffing and puffing like little windbags.

"Come on Sally! Gregory must be in the church hall with Farris!" Phillip huffs and puffs as he goes up the staircase and walks into the chruch. Sally tries to catch up; but she wasn't able to.... Let just say the exercise room below the basement of the AeroStar's home has never actually agreed with her.

"I'm coming Phillip....." said Sally as she comes to a stop panting as she is now completely short of breath ;"I need to get into shape soon. I cannot even catch up to that barely-passin pilot." She decides to walk past the gate and walks more slowly towards Claris' grave site. She apporches the front of the tombstone and kneels down crying.

"Mother; we have failed you. Failed Maxim......" Sally says as tears comes down her cheeks; "Not since that day...." Sally looks directly at Claris' tombstone. The cold slab of grantie guarding of the soul of her mother that is currently sleeping within makes Sally think of all of those horrible memories and rekindles the pain that is still uncontrolled deep within the AeroStar family. The memories; too painful to swallow. The darkness was about to rekindle that painful memory that happened nearly eighteen months before this death occured..... Will the adults ever learn?

~June 17th, 1916

It took place in the same office that Durin Percy, Pledge Mason and Colonel Willy were in to inform Commander Wesdon of the death of Maxim AeroStar. The difference here was that it was eighteen month earlier and instead of Durin Percy and Pledge Mason; it was Maxim and Gregory AeroStar along with Colonel Willy standing between them both in a triangle formation as Commander Wesdon sat in his hard chair looking sharply at both Gregory and Maxim AeroStar. To him; they were clearly not going to like what he had to say......Commander Wesdon stands up and walks towards to the sun window and look out of it; obviously not in the mood to tell Maxim face to face.

 "Maxim; I have some very bad news..." Commander Wesdon says firmly but with a touch of humanity ;"..for both you and your family...." Maxim gulped in fear. It was very clear that he was dreading that this day would come. Commander Wesdon hands Maxim a document to read. Maxim AeroStar is a medium brown bear wearing a green sweater, green cotton pants and a vanilla scarf. He has a medium build and is in his mid 30's. Although his boyish looks make him look almost like a teenager.

"Daddy? Is something wrong?" Gregory asked scared to death as Maxim's gulp could only mean that something was wrong. Maxim reads the letter carefully (as he always does with all sensitive information) and then suddenly his arms drop, his face looked like it was in complete pain. With only his right hand; he crumpled up the paper in digust. Gregory was in shock because he had never seen Maxim in this much pain ever.

"Maxim; the Great War has gone on for too long." Commander Wesdon stated without much emotion; "Our forces have been depleted serverly and the government met a week ago to discuss the matter. And regrettfully..."

"....They have decided to draft innocent citizens in all of Usland and Wesdon to fight in this war." Maxim said sounding tense; for the first time since finding out that Archduke Fortis was behind the strain between Usland and Thembria; "Garland, Ramon, Oniz, Durin, Pledge & I have been selected to be involved in this!" Gregory soon realized it and was completly outraged at Commander Wesdon. Commander Wesdon was indirectly saying to Maxim that he failed to keep Airabus from possabilliy convicting itself to war.

"Has this world gone insane?!" Gregory screamed out; surprising both his father and Commander Wesdon; he trying to defend his father's work ;"Do you realize that this is an abuse of power?!"

"Tell that to both the Wesdon government and the Usland House of Commons." Commander Wesdon nodded in agreement with Gregory in both that this world had gone insane and that this was an abuse of power and his lobby group tried to get the act reserved with zero sucess; "Did you read the newspaper on August 1st,1914?"

"No? Why?" Gregory said sounding almost like he was completely out of control.

"Both Wesdon and Usland approved the War Measures Act." Commander Wesdon said feeling even more firm than usual; this was something he never wanted to happen and yet since it was the law; he had no choice but to obey the order; "The act was to give governments the right to draft civilians into the war. The government was hoping that our forces alone could hold up againest Airabus and Animea. However; our forces are now so low and Jepang has joined with the Airabus government has left the alliance no choice but to use the War Measures Act and...."

"It selected Maxim, Garland and Ramon!" Gregory yelled now completely out of control; "This is an outrage! Maxim will never part in these barbaric practices! It is completely againest the beliefs of this family!"

"Gregory...." Colonel Willy said placing his body in between him and the far reaching Commander Wesdon; believing that Gregory wanted to take a shot at him; "Please calm down!"

"THIS IS A MOCKERY!!" Gregory screamed at the top of his lungs like a rebel protestor. Commander Wesdon was in shock hearing this and shakes his head; almost sounding like this was a mockery that was taking place. The Great War was showing its signs of real impact on the people who were no fighting the battles in Lyndon, Airabus, Animea and Thembria. The desturction of the furry race had begun and one bill may have destoryed any hope of turning back.

"Gregory!" Maxim said something and in a bossy mood; still showing a lot of pain on his own face; "Settle down! Yelling isn't going to help!"

"Sadly; it gets worse." Commander Wesdon firmly and coldy stated ready to enforce the rule of law on both of them; "Shall Maxim refuse to join the alliance; then it is taken as treason: HIGH TREASON to the country and you will be hung without a trial. I'm sorry Maxim." To Gregory; the 'I'm sorry' line was the final insult to his family. If he was turely sorry; then he would have been successful at overturning the War Measures Act. Commander Wesdon had to do something; this whole situation was shattering before his very eyes and the most famous diplomatic family was about to become anicent history. The last thing that Commander Wesdon wanted was to have Maxim AeroStar or Gregory (who was looking even more unstable as this conversation continues) AeroStar directly fight.

"Daddy?......" Gregory screamed again only this even louder as he saw Maxim AeroStar in even more real pain and was this close to being ready to explode; "COMMANDER WESDON!!" Then Commander Wesdon had an idea; he remember that there was a slight loophole in the bill that might save Maxim from going away from his beliefs.

"However;" Commander Wesdon pointed out turning around to see Maxim AeroStar still in complete pain; "there is a loop hole in the measures act that the government fails to tell anyone....."

"DOES IT REALLY MATTER?" Gregory screamed out continued to act like a rebel and not about to calm down.

"Gregory; why don't you let your poor father decide on this matter." Commander Wesdon asked becoming very annoyed at Gregory AeroStar's unstable conduct (as much as he was correct on everything that he said thus far.) as Colonel Willy continued to block him from getting to Wesdon; "Besides; the act didn't say that you could.....directly fight...."

"Is that so?" Maxim asked as his face started to relieve itself of the pain.

"Daddy; I......" Gregory said starting to calm down and turning a step backwards. ~Daddy? He's trying to trick you into believing that this is the right way.....Please don't believe it!~ he thought bitterly.

"Well; you always loved to help people right?" Commander Wesdon asked as Maxim's face continues to be in pain although it was much less now over time "So; you can help win this war without even throwing a single punch. How about you deliver aid and supplies to our armies and innocent civilians?"

"It still means that this family will still be seperated from you due to the impact of this war." Gregory protested sounding very unconvinced; "Don't you think this is aiding a barbaric pratice?" Commander Wesdon decided to play his trump card: convince Maxim that his word was _his_ soul.

"Maxim?" Commander Wesdon said ignoring the protests of his son would looked completely unstable and looks directly into Maxim AeroStar's kisser; "You said a long time ago that you were a selfless man. Well; Maxim, here is your chance to prove that those words actually mean something. Well; Maxim are those just mere words?" The moment Commander Wesdon said that; Maxim's face quickly started to cure the pain. He seemed completely relaxed and completely calm now.

"Daddy?" Gregory asked to see if he was all right. Something was not right as Maxim looked perfectly calm after being in pain for the last seven minutes. Maxim put his head up and looked straight up at Commander Wesdon's firm face.

"I'll do it." Maxim said unemotionally and without as much as a second thought. He realized it: this was the right thing to do!

"What?" Gregory asked in absolute shock. Everything seemed to crumble down from his support after that statement by his _own_ father no less. He basically betrayed the very belief system that both he and his faith had actually agreed with. Now Maxim's decision sounded more like he will not only allow this war; but actually condone it. He took a step back looking completely helpless; "But Daddy?" he shouted out weakly. He never questioned his father's decision's before; however, to Gregory; Maxim never had to make such a decision in his own life.

"Son; I made a vow." Maxim said feeling very emotional and looking at Commander Wesdon firmly that he was meaning every single word that he was about to say; "I stated years ago that would always help those who are in need. The innocence; the sick; the weak; the less fortunate. Gregory; I cannot go back on my word. That would be wrong beyond the dreams of all."

"Good; then it is settled. Colonel Willy? Take Maxim downstairs." Commander Wesdon ordered firmly; "Durin Percy, Pledge Mason, Fuzi Nakasaki, Zinna and Oniz Mecha are waiting for you."

"They are?" Maxim asked looking surprised that his best mechanic; a female was also drafted into the war. To Gregory; it was going to get worse and nothing was going to heal this relationship.

"You're not the only one who doesn't likes this war measures act." Commander Wesdon trying to convince Maxim that he wasn't alone in his concerns; "Besides; you're at your best with the best mechanic in the world. Colonel Willy? You know what to do.."

"As you command; Commander." Colonel Willy stated as he finally stepped out of the way of the out-of-control Gregory AeroStar who was still in complete shock over his father's reserval of beliefs; "Maxim? This way please."

" Good Luck Aviator........" Commander Wesdon stated as Colonel Willy escorts Maxim AeroStar out of Commander Wesdon's office; "I'm already regretting this. This world's stooping to a new low and there's nothing I can do about it." Once Colonel Willy and Maxim AeroStar were gone (read: and in Gregory's case proably for the last time) Commander Wesdon looked directly at a stunned Gregory who was just looking the door feeling completely defeated. Wesdon felt sorry for the poor young bearcub. He agreed completely on everything Gregory AeroStar said and yet he felt that now that the war had gone completely out-of control and that the government's refusal to control left him with no choice. He decided to give Gregory something to remember him by and hopefully make him understand that his father is actually doing the right thing; regardless of the consqeuences that might bestow on the diplomat.

"Why?" Gregory asked almost in a defeated state. He felt lost; now that his very own father is now involved in the very thing that he protested so long ago. He didn't even bother to look at Commander Wesdon.

"Gregory?" Commander Wesdon started firmly but with humanity for he also felt gulity of having to destory a perfectly functional family with a heinous war; "I know that peace is the most important thing that we need. However, I've been thinking about this for a long time and I sometimes wonder if to get peace it would mean having to fight for it all the time where you do whatever it takes to make sure that is successful. Does it really becomes peace? Or is it just another war just waiting to happen?"

Gregory could only sigh. He couldn't even muster a response.....Commander Wesdon walked around; knelt down in front of looked directly into his eyes. Gregory did absolutely nothing. Commander Wesdon could only wonder if he would be next to be drafted; and how unstable he actually looked.

"What I am trying to say son is that you need a lot more than justice alone to create peace." Commander Wesdon continued; " When Maxim's investigation exposed the plan that the Airabus government was hatching on us; instead of trying to help the government reform itself, the government abandoned them and Airabus responded with violence. Justice is not the only right in this world; you need compassion; empathy; equality; truth and love including justice all together will bring ture peace to this world. Someday you will see........someday." Commander Wesdon stood up as Gregory just stood there. He couldn't cry and being mad was simply a waste of time. For all he knew; he might never see daddy again. As Colonel Willy re-entered Commander Wesdon's office; he approches him to fly him back to his family in Wesdon; the darkness consumed the sence; the day of present was about to come back. ~

 

Present Day

"They all said that we would see our family again once this war is over." Sally said still kneeling down looking at Claris' tombstone in the memorial gardens with tears still coming down her cheeks; "They were wrong on both counts. And you paid the price for it...." The darkness of those painful memories would resonate once again as another tragic event would take place in the life of the AeroStar family. Something much more recent; and equally deadly......

 

~January 12th,1917

Inside a house near Wesdon. The door open and enter Gregory AeroStar; a seemly happier Gregory AeroStar on the outside; although his heart was broken.... He had just come home after talking to Farris about Miniversal most recent expansion and asked Claris to be a supervisor and accountant for the Wesdon Naval Force shipment. Gregory at the time considered that an excellent way to get ahead in the times that this disgraceful war have created. 

"Mother?! I'm home! I would like to talk about that deal made with Miniversal....." Gregory yells out to his famed mother however; he get no response; "Mother? Where are you? Mother?"

Still no response; and Gregory was starting to be worried. He knew that Claris had been off a couple of days due to a strange illness. Gregory AeroStar walks into the family room near the middle of the house; which featured a large oak radio stand and a crimson red sofa. Gregory AeroStar walks forward and finds Claris AeroStar lying down on her side on the floor with her eyes only partially shut (read: a sign that she was seriously hurt. Some call it 'sleeping with your eyes open.'). She was wearing a red shirt, red pants and a blue hair braid. Gregory kneels quickly beside her in a clutch of panic. ~What on earth happened here?!~ he thought looking like he was out of control once again.

"Mother? Are you playing a joke on me? Mother?!" Gregory asks with a clutch of panic as he nudges Claris; but still no response; "Mother, wake up!" Gregory checks the pluse on Claris' neck. There was no pulse and she wasn't even breathing.

"Oh my gosh!" Gregory screamed with tears starting to fall and there was this strange smell; a smell of death something unfamiliar to him; "Stay right there....I'll get help." Gregory AeroStar goes into the kitchen to phone the hospital; hoping and praying that Claris would be okay and that they could all come back and she and Gregory, Maxim, Sally and Phillip can be one happy family. However; it was not to be at all; the words he heard would shake his innocence forever...... as the entire world around him started to become pitch black with darkness starting to consume him even further.

* We tried everything to save the life of your mother; son. However; she had passed away due to the failure of heart hours before you came home. I'm sorry Gregory.....* the words shouted out...

"Noooooooo!......" Gregory screamed feeling helpless and was crying his eyes out. Now his heart was shattered.....

*Gregory, snap out of it!* a familiar voice shouts out; feeling a bit muffled. The darkness resonated again as the voice starts to repeat the same exact line before Gregory's eyes turned wide open. ~

***

"Gregory? Please snap out of it!" the voice yelled out at Gregory again...... It was Farris who was currently sitting beside him as Gregory snaps out of his spaced out state. Gregory looked around teary-eyed and finally realizes that it was just another dream; another nightmare that has haunted him. His mother was gone due to a deadly product and now his father was also gone proably due to a deadly product. The inside of the Wesdon Chruch was just as stunning as it was outside; with one thousand natural wooden seats and to the left side of the pulpit was a very large brass organ donated by a music company in Parris which sadly was taken over by the Airabus government. Gregory was sitting down on the steps leading to the pulpit with Farris sitting right next to him. Paul was sitting down on one of the front wooden seats. For Gregory it was a painful experience. He wondered as his eyes glared at the stained window above the entrance of the Wesdon chruch. He looked at then center of the White Phoenix imprint and wondered to himself...~What have I done wrong my lord? I've been loyal to you...why is this happening to me? Why?~ Farris came over and put his paw on his shoulder to comfront him and Gregory finally stopped spacing out. He looked at Farris; feeling shaken be the last four days where he cried out for his father and even for his mother. Now he was without a family and needed help really fast.......

"Farris?" Gregory said looking at Farris with very sad eyes; "I don't know what came over me. I felt that my life was flashing before my eyes."

"Buddy?" Farris started calmly reassuring him that he was still his buddy for it was time to talk to him and regain his life back as he would need to in a situation where nothing has gone right; "I know that my grandfather has been behind the times and he's not a big fan of new inventions; but that's my grandfather. You shouldn't let my grandfather's lust for airplanes influnce you. You need to make your own decisions. You don't realize what it means if you decide not to fly anymore." Farris then puts a strong tone on his remaining words; dealing with the consequences should Gregory give up the role of flying; "Everything that Maxim did revolved around using flying as a tool. Would stopping the business over this fear be better off for you?"

"But; Farris? Garland was seriously angry about the airplane..." Gregory said feeling shameful; "He called it an obession....." Farris felt offended by the comments.... Garland didn't like flying and yet he wasn't a believer in forcing his beliefs on others. Farris looked pretty angry now over this idea that Gregory was not even thinking straight.

"Well; so is being a sailor on a sailing ship." Farris said angerly and very strong toned; having enough of Gregory's obession with feeling sorry for himself over a product that wasn't intended to kill people; "So is my father's love of hunting. So is my grandmother's sewing.... So is my grandfather's love for cooking....Some are obessed with religion...." Farris soon realized that he might be getting on Paul's bad side (read: the pitfall of using context with faith) with that comment and decides to repent that sin; ".....I mean no offense Paul."

"That's just fine Farris. The White Phoenix is open to all opinions....including the crazy ones." Rev. Paul exclaimed as a show of forgiveness to Farris. Paul wasn't crazy about airplanes or meat either."I don't need to defend the chruch on that."

"Farris?" Gregory said feeling that Paul should be defending the church on this one; "Paul's a wonderful man and is a fine wiseman who cannot be underestimated. Speaking on behalf of our lord...."

"Aw; thank you for trying to make me something more than I really am Gregory...."Paul laughed out loud; which was a rarety considering the events that have happened since the Great War had begun; "but that's not neccessary. Your father wasn't obessive. He loved life and his own people. I know that you do to........." As Paul was saying this; the natural wooden double-doors opened to allow Sally and Phillip AeroStar to enter the holy chruch; "Gregory; it is up to you weither or not not you want to continue flying; not someone else's own opinions." Gregory finally realized and most importantly knew that Paul was right on the money (read: button, talent). He couldn't simply let someone who might be just as obessive with his (Garland) hatered of something make decision on his (Gregory) own behalf. Maxim was independent and never let anyone; not even Gregory himself make decisions for him nor try to change thee. Maxim's crusade to end the tension between Usland and Thembria had impacted the young bearcub to the point where he realized that had Maxim not tried the uncover the truth; no one would be been prepared for the possible war that would've have followed in the end.

"Your right Paul." Gregory said strong toned and without a second thought running in his body; "I've been acting like a jerk out of self-pity. I cannot let Maxim think that I lost his advice...."

"Now that's a turnaround." Farris said surprised that Gregory was able to turn around his life so quickly and easily. Hopefully; for Gregory this was his ture colors..... Don't count on it just yet!

"Just like his father....." Paul laughed as he had seen this kind of event happen before; "Sort of...."

"I cannot let these influences run my life." Gregory continued with the strong, preachy voice; " Even if Garland is right; I must follow my own path. I'm 18 years old now. If I make a mistake then it is my mistake and no one else's. I'll just have to deal with them on my own."

"He's got the motivation now doesn't he Sally.." Phillip said as he nudged Sally gently with his elbow.

"Hush Phillip." Sally wispered with a hint of annoyance towards Phillip's charges; "Let him speak his mind."

" Besides; I have obligations." Gregory said as his tone of prechiness got even stronger; "We have a war to stop; lives to save; people to serve and protect....." Farris finally stood up and faced Gregory's front side and grabbed him by the shoulders holding him tightly.

"Okay; Okay Gregory." Farris said holding Gregory tightly and looking directly at his face; "Calm down before you fall down flat on your compass."

"I think that you should take his advice for a change." Paul said giggling pointing out that Gregory's leadership had gone too far and he should calm down before Farris gives him the lecture about how you shouldn't get cocky.

"Oh; Sally, Phillip." Gregory said as he calms down and Farris formally lets go of him; "I didn't you enter the chruch."

"Now you've got spirit; Greg!" Sally stated as she hugged the young bearcub tightly.

"You know what that means Sally?" Gregory asked as he looked directly into Sally's eyes. Sally suddenly lets go to let Gregory explain himself.

"What would that be?" Sally said before Gregory pulls out an old wooden abacus. Sally's face simply lit up with amazement; for the fact that for years Gregory was trying to push her to be a pilot instead ; "You mean I can be an accountant?"

"Of course Sally." Gregory said without even giving it a second thought. ~I never intended to squish your dream sister.~ he thought smiling.

"You really mean it?" Sally said not convinced that he was giving actual facts; but Gregory's face told the tale that he was giving actual facts; "I....I...mean; you have been trying to model me into a pilot so much since the Great War...."

"Sally...." Gregory started to justify his reasoning for her becoming a pilot in the first place; "The reason why I was training you and Phillip to become pilots was to be prepared for the future. Just in case...." Gregory then turns to Phillip who looks unconvinced; after all he _did_ rebel againest Gregory because he wanted to become a baseball player; "Phillip; did you realize that the Cape Suzette Sox give sucessful players airplanes as incentives to continue playing in the city...."

"Ummm.....Gregory......" Phillip said trying to remind him that he was barely passing his course in flight training; "I haven't done very well on the tests....."

"Aww....don't worry about it." Gregory said seemly unconcerned; "I'll help you at home. Besides; I'm not in a rush anyway."

"Thanks Gregory....." Phillip said thinking that it was a good idea; "I think..."

"Maxim used to train me in the past before the Great War began. Maxim was trained by Joe Mcgee; who also trained Wilson Skywinds, your current teacher. I've learned quite a bit since then......" Gregory then felt it was time to say I'm sorry for everthing that has happened since the rift between the two appeared over the last couple of years; "however; I'd like to say that I'm sorry for trying to hold back your dreams, Phillip......"

"Two surprises in one day!" Farris said cheerfully sitting right next to Paul in the wooden seats.

"Hush; Farris." Rev. Paul said pointing to the imprint of the White Phoenix on top of the double-doors; "The White Phoenix can sense it. The rift is almost gone."

"Well; I'm sorry for misunderstanding you." Phillip said as he hugs Gregory tightly just as Farris did only this was a good hug; "I let my dream get into the way of my obligations."

"That's the first time I've seen something that went againest the impact of war." Farris said feeling the faith of his creator shining through his body.

"Farris?" Rev. Paul asked seeing the moment just continue to shine more brightly; "Do you remember that years ago that we could never say something without feeling gloom?"

"Yeah;" Farris said agreeing with the preacher; "I felt the dark cloud would always stand still."

"Well; ever so slightly that gloom cloud is inching away." Rev. Paul said with the thought of knowledge that only the creator can bring; "There is ture hope left for healing now."

"That's okay Phillip." Gregory said accepting the apology; "I understand now. You too Sally."

"Gregory? Before you go; remember to honor thy father and thy mother." Rev. Paul said firmly; "Forgive me if I sound like I'm nagging."

"That's not nagging.....that's sound advice." Farris stated remembering that people of faith do not and should not have to say I'm sorry for their faith in the lord; "Please don't put more pressure on yourself Paul."

"Thank you for being concerned Farris;" Rev. Paul said sweating a little bit; "but I must admit that I'm getting a little old for this."

"That is nonsense. " Gregory said feeling a little bit offended; sure Paul was old but again was never in poor health, " I shall not forget to honor my mother; my father; thy brothers, thy spirit. Paul you're only as old as you feel and you've always said that you always felt 20 years younger than your age."

"Maxim's blood is running through your body." Rev. Paul laughed out loud as Durin Percy rushed into the church huffing and puffing much like Weagle was just a couple of days ago. Gregory was surprised that Durin would return to the church. ~I thought that Durin was returning to Commander Wesdon today once the memorial service?~ he thought.

"Gregory?" Durin said as he continued to wheeze from a lack of breath; "The Air Taxi's waiting for you outside. Whenever you're ready to go."

"Thank you Durin. One question....." Gregory asked as Durin attempts to turn around and leave; " Why are you huffing around and about?"

"Excuse me please." Durin said as he turns around and begins running towards the road passing the yellow Air Taxi along the way; "I'm trying to convince Pledge to help me deliver a letter to Parris for Mr. Wiser. But he won't help me. I'll see you both later." Gregory figured; ~I guess Durin got his foot neatly inserted in his mouth for expressing one opinion too many. Will he ever learn?~

"Thank you Farris; Rev. Paul." Gregory said kindly as he walked towarded the double-doors ready to leave.

"Your welcome Gregory." Rev. Paul said forcing Gregory to turn around since it was considered rude to turn your back on a precher of the lord; "Anyway; the truth behind your father will come when you search. No pressure; you'll know when the time is right."

"I'll remember that!" Gregory said as he turns around and exits the church; "Thank you Paul." Gregory then gets into the Air Taxi; and it finally backs up and exits the chruch area. Farris turns to Paul.

"Well; I guess that's that." Farris said with bravado. Rev. Paul certainly didn't think so as he was taught (or influenced) by the teaching of the holy ghost and believes that there would be more to come soon after this and everyone shouldn't rest on their laurels for anyone.

"Not really Farris." Paul said putting the strong tone behind the point; almost as strong as Farris' "I sense that all the answers will be coming sooner than even Gregory realizes. And then......" Paul stops to wait for Farris' reaction to ask him the very question he must ask.

"Yes, Paul?" Farris asked quite confused at the thought that the problems with AeroStar might not actually be solved.

Paul finishes the statement with power; "Gregory will have to make a decision that will have an earth-shattering impact on the world we live in today."

"Oh boy!" Farris said with his somewhat pop-culturist position of shock; "Now that means I'll have to be more connected than ever before."

"Also you may have to make a decision that will not only impact your friendship but also will change everything. One wrong choice could end what made your friendship so important; not withstanding the continued dispair of the furry race......" Rev. Paul stated as he see the front doors open and Salah Karnage is waiting patiently for Farris to leave with her outside;" Um; Farris? I think you better leave now; your mother's waiting for you."

"Thank you and take care Paul." Farris said kindly as he exits the church. However; Paul was not feeling very cheerly as he returns to the pulpits and once again looks up at the mural of the White Phoenix behind it. Paul could see the truth behind the pure white of the lord's feathers. It was going to be here; much sooner than even Paul could ever imagine. "It has now begun...." as he would say; the real trouble was only starting to come full circle. And one mistake could be the planet's last........

***

Gregory AeroStar sat in the middle of the comfrontable air taxi; feeling considerably better. The Air Taxi was a special kind of airplane like car; painted yellow and brown and featuring two metal yellow wings with the number 38 painted in red which is the taxi's lot number and flies on a small sac of air. Inside the air taxi has brown bucket seat which under normal action would be considered somewhat of a pain to sit. However; Phillip who was sitting to the right of Gregory while Sally was sitting to his right and both were giggling like they couldn't even keep a bad serect.

"Guess where we are headed?" Sally said giggling softly.

"Where?" Gregory asked looking like he knew of the surprise.

"The place where great food is served...." Phillip started sound like the beginning of an advertisement on radio.

".....by a real person who believes that you should do the best you can with what you got....." Sally chimed in to the ad fashion.

".... and it is Garland's favorite friend and idol....." Phillip states in a give-away as Gregory finally gets it.

".... Marion's Diner Island and Grill Restaraunt. On Loaf Island." Gregory shouts in a blaze of glory as the Air Taxi is about to arrive at it's focal point....The island where a professonal cook lives and loves life......

 

**

Welcome to the Loaf Island....... where good food is Garr food..... (read: Very bad joke present!) The island of Loaf; a semi-forest island 25 km north of the port district of Wesdon. It was founded by Sir Delif Loaf in 1509 and was used as a small seasonal home until his death in 1519. It was later restored by Marion Garr as a resturant in 1891. It is 2.6 km long and 2.1 km wide and is only acessable via a seaplane (commerical purposes only) or an Air Taxi (public only). It is known very well not for the obvious shape of a loaf of bread (at least that's what Marion Garr would say) but for its Star Fruit. According to legend; Star Fruits were typically used for their seeds believed to be the infamous StarAnies which are used for medical purposes and can also be used as a spice in several dishes. Besides the resturant which is on the lower half of the island and is very huge; there is also a small Star Fruit farm (started in 1895 when Marion Garr approved the project- he doesn't mind some company) and a medium grocery store called Trevor Good's Market Valuestore (which started in 1903). Marion Garr's Diner Island & Grill (read: Very Different from Louie's Place in TaleSpin; Trust Me!) is contained within a large wooden frame which is mostly white with scribbling of crude characters in brown paint. They seemly looked very random; just as if nature intended it to be. At the enterance of the restuarant; enter Gregory, Phillip and Sally AeroStar. There were only around 12-15 people present sitting down inside. It usually seats close to three hundred people and usually Marion Garr employs 25 people at a time as waiters. He also employs at least ten cooks; mostly ones who have since graduated from his cooking school in Parris; sadly overtaken due to the Great War. A waiter beckons forward; the only waiter seen in the resturant at the moment. He is a black otter with blue eyes; a medium build and wearing a black suit; white shirt underneath and a black tie. He basically looked like someone out of a formal dance or social gathering. He is also holding a large earthern-wear plastic tray. The inside of the resturant looked beautiful with blue title; and red/gold/green marble-like wood panels and columns very similar look to a kind of wood stain that actually bleeds into the wood which gives an excellent effect. Every table was wooden with a glass-like plastic top (one of Oniz Mecha's bright ideas gone good) had a lighted candle each a slightly different color or shade and was completely unsented; oak salt/pepper shakers and the chairs were made of natural unfinished maple wood. It was just about empty; but still wonderful.

"Do you have a reservation? Because you three look familiar.." Waiter#1 says and in one quick motion Sally hands the waiter a paper. Waiter#1 reads and finally understands why they are here;" Oh; you must be Sally, Phillip and Gregory Aerostar. Marion Garr is expecting you. Follow me......I'll show you to the special suite."

"Thank you very much. I'm sure Marion Garr will be pleased to see us." Sally said cheerfully as Waiter#1 places the paper into his coat pocket and walks forward turns to the eastern side of the resturant and up the wooden spiral stairs which led upstairs to a glass filled dome room (his favorite touch of the resturant) about 12 feet in height and was 12 feet square on all sides. The glass table is covered with a white table cloth and the three chairs are made of varnished solid oak wood. Marion Garr clearly loves contrast and unique texture as you could clearly see in the differences between the first and second floors.

"Please be seated. Marion Garr will be with you shortly." Waiter#1 exclaims with a show of thanks as he turns on his heel and exits downstairs from the suite. All three bear furries sit down in triangle formation and pick up the menu in perfect sucession. It was a nice bright day and for once the mood inside the hearts was actually much closer to the brightness of the sunny day outside.

"Marion Garr's resturant has been quiet these days." Sally says after seeing the emptiness of Marion Garr's resturant. It used to be the mecha nearly seven years ago. But then again; fewer people were in town because of what the Great War has brought. Luckly Marion Garr's age played a role of him being exempt from the War Measures Act. Still that didn't stop Gregory AeroStar from having quite a bit of envy (Read: Which is one of Gregory's most favorite sins.) for the elder furry; despite the fact that Marion used to work for the Wesdon Army and the Lyndon Army earlier in his life.

"Well; Marion never cared about about making money from the resturant business." Phillip says with a smile as he sits down and reads the menu; "It was his cooking schools on Loaf Island where most of his money comes from anyway. Say; Marion's added sixteen new dishes to the menu compared to last month."

"Well; you know Marion Garr: Always trying something new each time." Sally says as she also sits down and reads the menu carefully.

"There are at least ten new full vegetable dishes in this menu in fact Sally. I guess even he's more concerned about the fat in red meats." Gregory said figuring that even his friends' 'icon' was also starting to get the message concerning meat products; "He's also added a number of fish dishes to his menu. Maybe this time; I'll have a fish dish for a change."

"Are you sure?" Sally said very surprised considering that he hasn't eaten anything animal since his mother's death; "You've never ate fish before. Fish has fat too."

"I know. I know. But once won't hurt me." Gregory said with a hint of power feeling more and more towards a speedy recovery from dispair; "Besides; fish has less fat than red meat. I'll still going for mostly vegetables however."

"Aren't we going to discuss business now?" Phillip asks impatiently.

"Please be patient Phillip." Gregory said trying to keep Phillip's spark from becoming a flame; "We'll talk about the future after we order."

"Besides; Marion Garr is being considered as a client. Gregory; you know that Marion Garr is a wonderful man." Sally responded as she puts the menu down for a second to make her point; "He has stated in the years before the Great War that he needed a cargo shipping company to help in his shipment of cookbooks. He hasn't found one that would suit him yet and I felt that this would be a wonderful time to strike a deal between Marion Garr and the AeroAvis."

"I know that you're doing this for the business Sally. But; that's not what I'm here for." Gregory said this time with even more push than before; "I'm here to talk to a friend; and to help my friend. Business means nothing to me. Being friends is."

"That's pretty strong." Sally said worried that Gregory's bravado would promote his first failure of smart business practices; "Do you really think that Marion Garr will accept your offer?"

"I'm sure that I can work something out." Gregory said blushing with self-esteem; "I always do."

"Who will be flying the planes for the shipment?" Sally asked worried this time about the pilots that work for the AeroAvis. ~ What if some of those pilots perish?~ she thought with fear. The Great War has already taken Maxim's life; Gregory is an excellent pilot in his own right but Sally and Phillip were average at best. Phillip needed instant improvement since he was below average.... and Fuzi, Durin, Pledge and the remaining eight pilots may not be able to return home. Where do you find such talent to replace if one or all shall face death due them part....... ~ I must remain strong!~ she thought feeling that she was thinking way too far ahead of the future and turns her head towards Gregory who was reading the menu happily again.

"I don't know yet." Gregory answered without looking at Sally's expression; "Let's wait until Marion Garr tells us how he would like his shipping arrangments to be."

"Marion should be ready now." Phillip said in a good bout of perfect timing....and it was perfect.

"Bonjour mon amine! Hello my friends...." an old voice bekon as an aged grey otter walks slowly up the stairs. However; despite his age he looked very phyiscally fit. He is wearing a blue one-pocketed shirt, brown leather pants and yellow sandals. He is known as Marion Garr; a tall cook and food teacher here on Loaf Island. He is considered by many who listen to his cooking shows on radio (one of the few programs that Gregory AeroStar actually listens to considering how the news was covering the war) as an unconventional cook mainly because he doesn't like being labelled as a chef. To Marion; being a chef meant falsely stereotyping people as wearing white aprons; white chef hats and has fancy degrees in Lyndon, Parris and other countries. He had a medium-large build and is not considered a snob despite the fact that he is rich. Marion walked up the stairs slowly and towards the table. Gregory pulled the chair from the table. Marion Garr walks towards the chair and sits down into the stair that Gregory pulled out. Gregory goes back to his own seat.

"It is a pleasure to see you again." Sally said in tribute to the elder furry.

"Master of the art of cooking!" Gregory said in unison which Phillip had to comment since he felt that someone has to deflate Gregory's ego; which was considerly high, although that in itself wasn't saying very much.

"Gregory loves to kiss up to people." Phillip said with a sharp look at his oldest brother. Gregory started to blush in embrassment that his younger brother was upstaging him on a compliment.

"Oh; Phillip!" laughed Gregory as he realized that he couldn't get away with such verbal chivialy as Phillip smiled in unison.

"Well; once I see what the AeroAvis has to offer; then we shall see if you're 'kissing up to people' has substance." Marion Garr said firmly as Gregory stared right into Marion's eyes. To him; Gregory had _heard_ that statement structure before. Almost too many times indeed.

"Gregory?" Phillip said as he looks at Gregory's face. It looked very dazed and confused; almost a distrubing silence. This had being happening ever since Maxim AeroStar death; and it always seem to happen when someone directly or indirectly mentioned his father or even in this case his father's relationship with Commander Wesdon.

"I've been spacing out again." Gregory said sheepishly as he sucessfully snaps out of his spacing. Sally felt a slight hint of panic: ~This isn't getting off to a good start..... Let's order now and give Gregory more time to prepare.~ she thought. Time to say it!

"Maybe we should order our food." Sally said in a defensive tone causing Gregory to be a little puzzled; "Prehaps feeding our minds will help us concerate on this business deal."

"I agree. What would like to eat?" Marion Garr said as he stands up knowing that Gregory's age was playing a factor in his inexperience as a business person; "My cooks can whip up anything...."

Phillip reads through the menu carefully; "I think I'll have the peppery prawns, hot & sour soup, banana salad and cranberry juice." Marion Garr writes it down on a sheet of white paper.

"I'll have the tropical sunrise fish, salad nicoise, onion soup and orange juice." Sally said as she skims through the menu and Marion Garr responds by writing down the order on the paper.

"Okay; I'll have the seafood and asparagus risotto, zucchini latkes with tomato paste sauce, pepper stew and apple juice." Gregory said. He had his menu closed up completely during the entire ordering process. He knew exactly what he wanted; a sign of directness for this business deal. Marion Garr makes a mental note of this as he skims through the menu to the desserts section and writes down the order that Gregory wants to eat.

"Anyone would like dessert?" Marion Garr asked knowing the answer almost right away.

"Cherries jubilee!" all three partons respond in unison. Cherries jubilee was a very popular dessert; mainly because of the excitement that comes with setting fruit on fire. It was also a very sweet dessert.

"Because you are so sweet Marion!" Gregory laughs with bravado to get an extra line. Marion Garr makes a mental note of this.

"Thank you Mr. Sweetness." Sally laughs and lightly pokes Gregory on the shoulder in which Gregory shrugs it off. ~These people are like me in many ways..... This could be an easy choice after all.~ Marion thought lightly as he observes the conduct of the partons; particually Gregory AeroStar.

"Okay; I'll be back in a flash." Marion exclaims in a nice tone as he hands out a newspaper; "Like reading the newspaper?"

"I do now since the Wesdon government stopped censorship of the press including the editorials." Gregory responds in unison. It was nice to see the Wesdon government lift the veil of secrey from its public; although Gregory still felt that some material was not worth mentioning such as his father's death spread through pages and pages of every able-selling newspaper in the world. It was too much for a young nineteen year old to bare.

"I know. I can now write articles on cooking without fear now. My latest article and recipe is on page A-13 of the Wesdon Gazette." Marion stated as he stands up and hands Gregory AeroStar the ear-marked section of the newspaper; "I'll get you some ice water."

"Thank you" Gregory said nicely as Marion Garr walks away from the table and exits downstairs. Phillip turns to Gregory feeling very excited about Marion Garr's writing. There has been a spark in Phillip to also become a writer; proably after his career as a baseball player is over. Assuming that Gregory allows that of course.

"Well; Gregory, what did he write today?" Phillip said in an exciting voice despite the fact that Gregory had yet to even open the newspaper. Sometimes Gregory wondered why Phillip was always excited about doing things that were not seen upon as helpful to furry beings.

"Phillip; you are so impatient. Let me find the article first....." Gregory said as he calmly burries himself into the newspaper and skims through the paper until he reachs page A-13. He then looked very surprised;"I didn't know Marion wrote reviews on the Cultural Arts. This is interesting...." Gregory starts reading the article out loud; word for word......


The article was as follows: 

 

Wesdon Gazette: Cultural Arts December 10th, 1917 Page A-13

 

Puppet Show Considered Great Entertainment Value For This Year And Many Years To Come.

Marion Garr, Cultural Critic

I always love it when someone focuses on detail and recently; I went to the Burimanger Complex in South Wesdon to see a special puppet show called the Life-Night Puppet Hour. The show was created by Databyle Puppet; who has a large number of years of being a puppet master and mime under his belt: 25 years to be exact. Every night is a new theme. I had a chance to watch "The Frog Dance"; a symbolic tribute to a novel written by Steven Bernet which is of the same name published in 1867. He did get written premission to use the piece by the way. Databyle has demonstrated to me at least that he can create something very light-hearted and peaceful in a time when we only hear and see the impact of darkness and despair found in this Great War. It is also a very simple and very basic puppet show where is depends on the little elements in order to gain entertainment value. Databyle has done that very well and shows a huge amount of love and care within the piece. However; to me the real draw were the puppets themselves. They were large and life-like. Sometimes I think they are real people who think they are puppets. Their movements are wonderful for a very simple dance sequence. There are six parts to the dance with the execption of the part which last fiftteen minutes. There is also a fifteen minute intermission between sequence five and the long fifteen minute final sequence. The puppets really show their life-likeness during the final sequence. You have to see it for youself in order to believe that something this simple could be so light-hearted and so fun to watch. I certainly recommend this wonderful display of class and power. Databyle has a total of 12 different themes besides the one that I have mentioned and I will be following up this article with additional reviews at a later date.

Final Note: I write this in tribute to the late Maxim AeroStar and the entire AeroStar family. As you know by now; Maxim AeroStar passed away a couple of days ago via a plane crash off the coast of Jepang. I give full condoleses to Gregory, Sally and Phillip who I'm sure are going through a very diffcult time. I would like to say thank you to Maxim AeroStar; who had the courage to challenge the status quo and made us rethink our role as members of a very tight and very important social fabric. Thank you Maxim! You will never be forgotten.


 

To Gregory; this article had vidicated him...... It was a sign that there were people out there who still believe that Maxim AeroStar was not a traitor after all and was attempting to do what's right. Another thing also struck him: he has simply let this Great War get to him. He should be enjoying the celebrating the joy of furry kind; not attempting to defend the debasement of furry kind through war or malice acts. Gregory sat down with tears of refreshment in his eyes thanking the almighty under his breath; assuming that thee heard him anyway. Sally looked at him concerned....

"Thank you Marion. You know something Sally;" Gregory said sheding a tear from his eyes; "This form of entertainment sounds very interesting. We should attend one of these shows someday."

"Yeah; maybe you will finally get what you need." the first voice shouts out rendering Gregory AeroStar to be puzzled. ~I've heard that voice before....Is it...~ he thought.

"A social life!" a second voice beckons as voice; not radically different from the first voice. ~Must I turn around?~ he thought.

Gregory turns around and sees two red/brown colored chipmunks wearing leather flight jackets and was almost ready to grumble. He knew them all too well: The Gemini Pilots. They were a pair of smart-somewhat straight talking stunt pilots who loved to rub it in to Gregory AeroStar for everything. While Gregory considered them as verbal bullies; Eric and Mercer Mann believe that they need to do this because of the recent events dealing with Maxim. They want to send a message to the old son to give up the life of trying to save everyone from themselves and turely live the life that the almighty intended. In other words; have a much closer relationship to the lord. While the Gemini Pilots are techinally twins; there _are_ subtle differences between the two. While they are at the same height (read: 6' 10"); their weights are different by one pound. Eric has two white/shiny buck teeth while Mercer only has one and is slightly yellow in color. The biggest difference is how they dress; Eric wears a black/red/brown leather flight jacket and green goggles (the glass inside is clear) while Mercer wore just a brown leather flight jacket and red goggles. They were a couple of years older than Gregory; but their reputation as being branstormers and stunt pilots (read: taking too many risks for their health and well-being) suggests that they were much younger than 21. Their criticalness towards Mr. AeroStar however; suggest they they _were_ wise beyond their years much like Maxim was and Gregory basically had to be. Eric and Mercer were standing in the front of the exit from downstairs effectively blocking it and they approch Gregory who was seemly cringling at the thought and sight of meeting these two again at a time of painful suffering. He simply didn't like these two messing with his life and his family. He had never been the same since they moved from Winger City almost six years ago.

"Oh; great. The Gemini Pilots again!" Gregory lets out with a sigh.

"Why are you here?" Sally asked looking very annoyed.

"Well; we were on the island neighborhood" Eric said in a smirkering tone that would just about annoy anyone; particually very moral furries; "so we thought that we would drop on by and see how you were doing."

"That's when I found out how sappy you have turned out to be Gregory." Mercer laughed as he referred to the response of Gregory's reading of the Wesdon Gazette.

"Mann's please leave us in peace?" Phillip said quietly; feeling almost defeated.

"Oh; come Phillip." Eric said shaking his head at what he thought was a sick joke; "Don't tell me that a tasteless joke is all you have to muster now?"

"Mercer; what we are doing is none of...." Sally was about to stand up when Gregory stops her.

"Sally....Phillip... Let me handle the pilots; please....." Gregory said holding out his hands to say _stop_. Sally and Phillip decide to let Gregory handle these furries. Gregory wanted to prove that he wasn't unstable and that this grief is very normal since he _was_ mourning the death of his father. He now understood why these pilots were never hired as part of the AeroAvis group; Eric and Mercer took far too many risks both in piloting and in social behaviour.

"Eric.... Mercer....." Gregory said turning to the pilots and in a very serious tone and showing considerable restraint showing signs that he was not interested in fighting around with these two barnstormers; "unless you are part of this business deal; I suggest that you leave before Marion catches you loitering in his resturant."

"We do have a table downstairs." Eric said proudly giving him a _valid_ excuse to continue the rubbing in process of his collegue Gregory AeroStar; "We'll be having lunch in a few minutes. Still trying to be like your father aren't ya?"

"Yeah......" Gregory said with faux bravado as he calmly burries himself into the Wesdon Gazette Newspaper once again; hoping to deflect criticism from these furries; "and you know what? If brains were donimoes; both of you would be double-blank; apiece."

"Pretty good yuck Mr. AeroStar;" Mercer said with a jokeful smile and starting to giggle at the thought; "I guess that means you would be quardurple-blank!"

"Mercer!" Phillip yells out as he begins to disobey Gregory's offer by standing up.

"Phillip; I told you that I can handle this myself; so please simmer down!" Gregory yells starting to sound like he is frustrated. To these barnstormers; Gregory was pretty much put into the compromising position that they wanted originally. For them it was time to really drive the message home. Phillip sits right back down in his seat in disgust.

"Gregory; are you still trying to become a diplomat?" Eric said with a cocky tone putting the pressure to Gregory even more.

"And there's something wrong with that?" Gregory asked with a slightly icy-tone trying to at least stay calm. That was a losing cause yet again for two pilots who had his number already dailed up repeatly.

"Not really." Mercer said with a ego-like case of bravado; "Your father's a wonderful man; but why are trying to help people when no one's backing you up?"

"What are you talking about?" Gregory hissed at asking the question; the first rude thing Gregory has said in this conversation; " People are backing me up on this one..." Naturally; the Gemini Pilots knew something...and Gregory still wasn't getting it. They've played this act before and now for them; it was time to get really serious.

"Well; for starters your father wrote editorials for a government-owned newspaper in Wesdon and the government rejected them. Your father investigated the problems ocurring in Thembria. Where was the government's support there? When the ArchDuke Fortis was found gulity of abuses of power; did the government ever sit down to negoitate to help reform the Airabus government?" Eric said thrusting every single point to show every malice act that the government of Usland and to a lesser extent Thembria; like he was stabbing Gregory's heart with a dagger from the heavens; "No; they did nothing at all. The 'Great War' broke out and Maxim died because of it. Gregory, I know that you're againest war so why are you helping it get worse?"

"Because I don't have a choice!" Gregory screamed out in a tone that simply said: I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! And Mercer was about to strech the sentivities of the young bear way too far...

"Gregory; Maxim's death is a blessing...." Mercer started as Phillip stands up on reaction; completely fed up with the pilots' attempt to belittle the late father's name.

"How dare you?!" Phillip yells in digust stopping Mercer in the middle of his point. He have had enough of the Gemini Pilots backlash at a very; very unstable furry. Gregory tries to stand up to stop Phillip; but Sally also stands up and she has had enough as well.

"I'm sorry Gregory; but you two have gone too far!" Sally yells getting the attention of Marion Garr who appears upstairs hearing an arguement between the furries. This had the makings of an ugly situation unless Marion cleared this up for good. After all; this was _his_ resturant and he was responsiable for everything that goes there. Ethics were also important to the elder furry.

"Calm down everyone! Now; Eric and Mercer Mann; you two are inticing my guests. Now either you go back to your table; or leave my resturant." Marion Garr said firmly.

While Marion was a passionate person who loved life; he did know that there are limits to compassion and this was without a doubt an experience while someone crossed the limits of this line. Eric and Mercer were annoyed; but they weren't about to call Marion's bluff. While Marion Garr is speaking; three waiters set all the food that was ordered clearly showing that there were more people hired than the AeroStar family had expected. Considering that this is a time of misguided justice and greedy, petty war. The first waiter was in fact the original waiter who asked for Sally's reservation. He places Phillip's meal on the side table facing the stairs. The second waiter is about six feet tall; brown cat with red eyes and is wearing the same suit as the first waiter. He places Sally's meal on the side table right next to Phillip's. The final waiter is a white lamb with blue eyes and wears the same suit as well. She places Gregory's meal on the side table in the middle. All three in ordered sequence turned on their heels and walk back downstairs finally giving Eric and Mercer Mann a chance to exit downstairs as well.

"Come one Eric; let's go back to the table. Our food's proably cold right now." Mercer said feeling that their purpose was done.

"We better......but remember this this Mr. AeroStar: Only the government can reform itself...." Eric said with a powerful-like tone; almost trying to sound like a moral, authortive king before finally both he and Mercer Mann walk downstairs back to their table.

"They're really nice people actually." Marion joked trying to revive the long face of Gregory; he didn't deserve that kind of conduct, but to Marion they were more of a threat to themselves than to his future business partner; "Although they can get carried away a number of times with their barnstorming...." Gregory nodded his head agreeing with Marion.

"...and their big mouths to boot." Phillip added as Gregory AeroStar started to sniffle again. And it wasn't due to a cold either.

"They are right about one thing though; prehaps my father's death was a blessing...." Gregory said in complete agreement. Even though Eric and Mercer were not in the room; their presence of words still struck Gregory's mind like a knife cutting through soft butter. Gregory held back in slience as Sally stands up to proably ask his partner if he wants to postpone the signing of the deal.

"Gregory...I don't think we should...." Sally said worried once again. ~Those twins have now completely destoryed his mind with that kind of talk~ she thought.

"Before you stood up Sally; I could hear the Mann's saying it:" Gregory responded finally starting to get what Eric and Mercer were trying to rub it into him in the first place; " That it shoulders the responability back onto the governments that didn't try to solve the hostile nature of the Airabus government in the first place."

"Gregory; there's no point in crying over spilled milk." Marion said in a seriously nice tone indicting that Gregory put all of this trash from the Gemini Pilots behind him for now; "Let's discuss business now."

"Okay." Gregory said as he sits down and begins to stare at the new recipe that Marion wrote in the latest edition of the Wesdon Gazette. Marion Garr sits back down in the same seat provided by Gregory earlier in the session. Gregory then puts down the newspaper and proceeds to hand Marion the materials for the AeroAvis cargo shipping venture that he had in a bag that he brought in as well. The material contained everything from the location; to phone number; to the profiles of staff members working for the AeroAvis and of course the official frieght rates for shipping products. Marion Garr was trying to find someone who could ship his latest written cookbooks: "The Faux Chef" and also to become a long-term shipping partner once the Great War ends. Marion Garr reads the materials very carefully as Gregory resumed reading the recipe in the Wesdon Gazette. This went on for about two or three minutes before Marion finally responded.

"You aren't worried?" Marion asked testing him to see if he was nervous. People like that may in fact have something to hide and might be shady. Although Gregory's age might make his seem more naive than just be shady and ripping him off so Marion was expecting to be very nervous. ~I'll go easy on him for now.~ he thought as he looked up at the seller.

"Nope...." Gregory said intentionally trying to see if Marion can spot his lie; "Not a bit!"

"I see...." Marion said looking judgemental. ~He not nearly as nervous as I thought. Then again; Maxim _is_ his father after all.~ he thought. This was a sign that Gregory did have some substance behind that young style of his; "This looks really interesting Gregory. The taxes are in fact included; as I see here."

"Yes." Gregory points out; "It's a way to stop confusion with all the recent tax hikes we've recently had." ~Good for the customers. But there may be a risk of losing money by the business itself. Maybe he does care about the people who ship our goods after all.~ he thought. However; the number of rates presented in the material presented a problem. Which one should be choose?

"I pray do tell...." Marion Garr agreed looking at the materials once again; "There are a lot of different rate on the materials that you have provided. I was wondering which one was the best for me?" ~Now let's see if he gets more nervous now that I have him trapped in the hot seat.~ he thought patiently.

"Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions?" Gregory asked unemotionally; surprising the elder cook quite a bit. ~He didn't look nervous at all despite his age. He obviously knows what he his doing. I thought that his youth might be a problem. But again; his father....~ he thought. Time to answer.

"No problem. Ask away...." Marion said feeling now a bit trapped himself. ~Now I'm show him how to get out of a trap.~ he thought smiling at Gregory.

"How many books do you plan to ship per month?" Gregory asked first and then decided to follow up to see if Marion could answer; "or is it per week?"

"About 200,000 per month." Marion responded without as much as a second thought. ~He's pretty good as a business man.~ he thought.

"Okay; in that case there are two choices here." Gregory said as he points out the section where the rates are for his customization; "One which is the least expensive at $12.00 per one hundred pounds. However; there is a maximum of six planes per week and I understand that you have many markets in which you would like to sell the books at?"

"That's right." Marion Garr responded without delay; "I have 12 markets currently and I hope to have up to 16 markets by the end of 1918. If the Great War ends of course." That got Sally a little bit upset; meaning that Gregory might have to expand the business and......Sally and Phillip might have to deliver the cargo; and they were unprepared as pilots at this time. ~Gregory; I think this is getting too big for us.~ Sally thought. Marion ignored Sally completely and focused on Gregory.

"Of course:" Gregory chuckled with a bit of pain behind it considering that he really dislikes war particaully this one; "Well; the second choice would be $18.00 per one hundred pounds and this one would allow access to all 12 planes per week. That would be quicker; although actual times do depend on the markets which you want to sell."

"Yes;" Marion said handing a list Gregory a prepared list of major cities; "I have markets in Wesdon, Pazuza, Cape Suzette, Windia, Saint Peterdora, Spango-Pango, New Fedora, Farm Town, Lyndon, Klopstokia, Walla-Walla Bing-Bang, and Ghafia. I'm hoping that the diplomatic efforts of Maxim will open markets in Thembria, Airabus, Animea and Jepang."

"I see. If those governments can reform themselves then there's a chance for real peace......" Gregory said as he wondered about the two governments: Airabus and Animea. ~Will they ever reform?~ he thought showing signs of actual cracking; " So the second choice seems to work well with you." ~I guess age has finally caught up to him~ Marion thought. However; for him he was convinced enough to strike the deal without further delay.

"So it is settled. I'll go at $18.00/one hundred pounds since I think its a better buy for my money over the long run." Marion said proudly surprising Gregory; "The contract will run for ten years starting after the Great War officially ends." Gregory thought that one little slip up would end the deal with no deal right there. However; it was unimportant now...... the deal was struck. So Gregory finally hands out the contract to Marion for his signature.

"Right." Gregory said as Marion grabs the contract forms; "Here's the contract paper to sign and Sally, Phillip and I will get the food now." As Marion Garr read the contracts and officially signs the deal 'in stone' as a famous proverb would say if there ever was one; Gregory, Phillip and Sally AeroStar stand up and go to the side table and get their meals that they just ordered. The meal were still pipping hot; surprisely that deal only took about five minutes. The three bear furries took their meals to the main table and sat right back down to their original positions. Expect for Gregory who are waiting for Marion Garr to finish

"Okay it is signed." Marion said as he shakes Gregory's hand and hands him the contract. Gregory nods his head to say thank for your partonage. ~This is his first business deal and he only cracks a smile. I guess he feels that pride might be sinful at this time. Good call AeroStar~ he thought. Phillip decided to interject himself into the food part of the business. He needed something to eat.....But of course; you do have to say grace:

"Who's going to say grace this time?" Phillip wondered realizing that it was always Sally who did the grace part.

"Usually; the youngest member of the AeroStar family does grace." Sally said realizing that it was a rare moment for her to do grace in a public; Marion Garr nods his approval as to say that no one will tell the difference;"Maxim said its tradition." Suddenely; Gregory has an idea: Let's make a new tradition; as in saying grace together. It is more inclusive; just the way Maxim would have wanted it anyway.

"I got an idea." Gregory said with bravado; "Let's all say grace together; it'll make us all feel better."

"Good call brother." Phillip said but with a notion that some of Maxim's tradition should still be kept; "Sally; you can start since you're the youngest AeroStar."

"My lord; we would like to thank you for this food...." Sally begins as she; Phillip and Gregory sit down and clapse their hands together in one solid family foundation.

Phillip continues with the dialogue; "....for the success of the business of the AeroAvis...."

".... and to give us the strength of compassion to continue on with our lives and find it within ourselves to live the best lives that we possiablity live......" Gregory finishs with a strong forte voice and sounds a message to his father; "Amen!.....Let's eat."

"Okay. Enjoy your meal." Mario Garr said as he stands up and walks downstairs and exit. Over the next half hour all those bears ate their food slowly. This was the most blissful thing that has happened to the AeroStar family since before the Great War started; it was quite a while since the siblings were able to eat a meal together anywhere let alone at their very own dinner table. As for the meal itself; it tasted wonderful and it was fairly heathly despite the fact that Gregory chose to eat fish; something he hasn't ate since his mother's death.

"That was a wonderful meal." Phillip said wiping his lower face with a napkin. Boy was that ever ture or what?

"Yeah; Marion's chefs were brilliant with the meal." Sally said in tribute to the handiwork of Marion Garr's well-skilled cooks and Marion Garr's brainchild; "Don't you think so Gregory?" Sally turns around to notice that Gregory didn't instantly respond like most furry beings would. He looked very numb.

"Daddy?" Gregory said numbly and looking completely spaced out again. Sally has noticed this everytime some great moment like eating supper together; and it has been always been about his own father. It started just after Maxim was drafted into the war; and it usually follows when his father is mentioned or when a good event occurs. Sally looks directly at Gregory.

"Umm...." Sally asks nicely; "Gregory; you're spacing out again."

"I'm sorry Sally." Gregory said as he quickly snaps out of it; one the few good things about being in that trance;"I guess that I was thinking about my father again."

"Gregory honestly!" Sally said feeling annoyed over Gregory's giving-in to a bunch of immoral rebels; "You shouldn't let those silly Gemini Pilots get to you."

"Sally; the Gemini Pilots are really an organization which hire pilots who are twins." Gregory said feeling offended; "I don't think that it is right to pre-judge an organization on the basis of just one set of twins."

"I'm sorry.... " Sally said honestly to make sure that Gregory understands that guilt spewed by others is not a vitrue; "It's just that Eric and Mercer simply drive you crazy."

"Sally;" Phillip points out angerly; " Their barnstorming is the stuff that is crazy; not just their attitudes..." Gregory felt that the insults must stop; it was time to stop insulting people who you don't know; particually if you've been guilty of the offense many times before.

"Okay; calm down both of you. I'm sure that Eric and Mercer are really nice people...." Gregory said as he sees that Waiter#1 ; one of the waiter who handled the meal and asked for the reservation from Sally had returned upstairs unexpectly and was waiting for attention; "Oh.....Hello...."

"Mr. AeroStar?...." Waiter#1 asked feeling a little embrassed that he just addressed Gregory (who doesn't respond to Waiter#1 instantly) as if he was really Maxim AeroStar; "Mr. Gregory AeroStar?"

"Yes; that's me." Gregory responded kindly; a sign of forgivness for not addressing him properly.

"There's someone on the telephone for you." Waiter#1 responds unemotionally as he was trained to say; "He says its very important." Gregory looked a bit puzzled. ~Who would be calling at this hour. And how did whoever was making the call know that I was here. I didn't give any phone numbers to where I was going....Never mind; I better answer the phone.~ he thought.

"Thank you." Gregory said with a faux politeness; he was in fact a little bit upset over his invasion of privacy;"I'll answer it right away." Gregory stands up; turns on his heel and walks towards the flight of stairs which in the end would lead to the telephone room.

"I wonder who it could be?" Phillip asks wondering. He looked a little excited; or maybe it was the sweetness coming out of the food he just ate moments ago.

"Proably another client." Sally said feeling proud since the AeroAvis was becoming a better cargo shipping organzation in recent years despite the problems of war; "The AeroAvis has become an up and coming business."

"I highly doubt it. Most clients do not know these type of things." Gregory said with a high white cloud of doubt; believing that it was his buddy Farris calling. He did talk to Farris about making this business deal before Maxim's death after all; "Maybe it's Farris calling me. I'll take the call; maybe he'll thank me for being such a good business man."

"This way please." Waiter#1 said as he leads Gregory AeroStar to exit downstairs; "I'll show you where the phones are." Phillip then thought of the only person who really knew the phone number and was trying to do something to him.

"I know who it is. It's proably Oniz Mecha again. She's proably trying to flirt him....." Just as Phillip was about to finish his really bad statement or really bad theory he looks and sees that Sally was looking very angry with her hands around her hips with that cross look. Phillip had better correct himself; "Okay! Okay!.... It's not Oniz. It's someone else."

"Phillip....." Sally said looking defeated; "you need to get some real help......" ~Before I give you that help myself and you don't want to see the kind of help I can bring.~ she thought with a sigh. Something was afoul in the air now.....

**

Waiter #1 leads Gregory AeroStar downstairs from the solar-glass roof lookout and opens a wooden door in the south end of the Marion Garr Resturant and Grill towards a small plain vanilla-like room with coffee-colored wooden floor. There was practically nothing on the walls and the ceiling was pretty much flat and didn't have the solar panels that the top floor had. It was a functional room and had no reason to be exciting; just as Marion Garr intended it to be. Waiter #1 walks towards the coffee table.

"Here is the telephone Mr. AeroStar." Waiter #1 said pointing directly at the small wooden brown table featuring an old-style telephone on top of the coffee-sized and shaped table.

"Thank you very much. Would you like a tip sir?" Gregory chimed kindly as Waiter#1 shook his head to say no.

"No thank you Mr. AeroStar. That won't be neccesary." Waiter #1 said kindly as he turns around and exits the room.

"Okay; if that's how you feel..." Gregory said wishing that he would get his chance at being a good deed. However; he knew that it would also be rude to force someone to get a tip that he doesn't want. ~I guess Marion is againest tips; I'll ask him later; gotta answer the phone.~he thought. Gregory walks towards the coffee and picks up the handle of the phone.

"Hello?" Gregory asked through the phone.

"Gregory; it is me...." the voice beckoned on the telephone. The voice sounded all too familiar; just like.....

"COMMANDER WESDON!!: Gregory yelled out by accident and in one instant had to stop fearing that people eating outside might have heard him;" Ooops.... [sorry] .... [How did you know where I was?]"

"Easy!" Commander Wesdon shouted with firm bravdo; considered a rarely by his own lofty standards; "I called the Gemini Pilots Organization and they informed me that Eric and Mercer Mann knew you quite well."

"Almost too well in fact....." Gregory sighed. Eric and Mercer had found their subtle way to get his goat. It was starting to become more and more apparent that his insecureness with starting to cause an acute case of madness for the young pilot in training. Still the problem remains: ~Why is Commander Wesdon even calling me at this hour?~ he thought. This didn't look good at all.

"Very funny Mr. AeroStar." Commander Wesdon called firmly; "Anyway; I told them to follow you until your business deal was done and then they contacted me...."

"That's why they were here....." Gregory said almost feeling the painful reality of two barnstormers dancing all over his head; "I should've guessed.....What is it this time?"

"Do you have any plans for tommorrow?" Commander Wesdon asked firmly but sounding a little upset over the young pilot's somewhat rude comment about his current state of business.

"Well; I was planning to watch Databyle's puppet show...." Gregory began but Commander Wesdon started to rudely chime in.

"Well; cancel those plans aviator." Commander Wesdon said in an assertive voice; the same one he gave to Maxim years ago;" I'm ordering you to come to the Battle Carrier Wesdon tommorrow at 2:00 pm on the dot. I have some very important news.... That is all. Goodbye!"

"Commander!" Gregory pleaded but to no avial. Commander Wesdon had put the phone back into the holder thus ending the telephone call;" He hung up! Typical!"

"Gregory; are you all right? I heard you yelling at someone." Sally said as she and Phillip entered the small room.

"Sally? That was Commander Wesdon." Gregory said almost feeling that the writing was on the wall; he had been drafted into the Great War with treason charges hanging above his head. He could just feel it;" He's ordering me to be there at the Battle Carrier Wesdon by 2 pm on the dot tommorrow."

"Those Liberals!!" Sally said in absolute digust. It was only the afternoon; only hours after Gregory was able to smile for the first time since the crash and now Commander Wesdon has shattered it with one phone call and two overzealous barnstormers claiming to be good twins. To Sally; it was official.... The government hates her family and it was them who prevented Maxim in helping the government of Airabus from reforming themselves. Claris is gone; Maxim is gone and now Gregory could be 'gone'.

The Wesdon had finally turned for the worse......Just a matter of time!

++++ End of Chapter I ++++