Return to 50 Webs.
Too Far To See
Written By: Nina Adams


Disclaimer: All characters are copyright 1990/1991 Walt Disney
Company and are being used without premission. The writer of this fanfic has made 
sure that no money was made in the creation of this fanfic and that all material
is used with the upmost affection and respect to the Walt Disney Company and the
Tale Spin Team.


The  news  of  Karnage's  death  was  one  thing,  but  the  news  of him  being  alive  throw  Molly  in  a  til-ta-weer.  ~ What  if  he  goes back  to  his  old  ways?  Maybe  he  won't.  O,  who  am  I  kidding. It's  all  my  fault.  Me  and  my  conciling  may  of  caused  a  big problem.  I  should  of  listened  to  mom  when  she  said  I  was  only a  child  still… ~  A  baby  crying  stopped  her  from  anymore  thoughts. She  walked  into  Kit  and  Guinna's  room.  The  baby  nursery  was still  under  construction.  Molly  saw  Kit  up  rocking  Miranda  back to  sleep.

    "Is  everything  okay?"  she  asked  peeking  in  the  doorway.

    "Yeah.  Come  in.  Miranda  woke  up.  She  must  be  hungry  or something.  I  still  haven't  gotten  the  baby  thing  down  yet"  he said  rocking  back  and  forth  patting  his  daughter  on  the  back gently.  Molly  walked  over  to  the  crib  and  smiled  at  the  sight of  Antony  sleeping.

    "He's  so  innocent"  she  all  the  sudden  said.  "Unlike  me."

    "What  do  you  mean  by  that?"  Kit  said  placing  Miranda  back  in the  crib.

    "O,  nothing.  It's  just…I've  done  a  lotta  bad  things.  I'm  not innocent  anymore."

    "Is  there  something  you're  not  telling  me?"

    "No.  Just  forget  all  that  I  said.  I'm  just  rambling."

    "Upset  about  Karnage,  huh?"

    Molly  shroked  Antony's  back  and  looked  on. Her  heart  sank  from Kit's  question.  She  wanted  to  tell  him  so  bad,  but  she  didn't want  to  get  anyone  else  involved. 

    "Yeah,  a  little.  It's  strange  how  you  hate  a  certain  someone for  so  long.  But  you  cry  when  they  die.  I  don't  get  it."

    "Well,  Karnage  shared  a  lotta  of  his  personal  life  with  you. You  kinda  got  to  know  him.  I  guess.  I  can't  believe  I'm  saying this,  but  you  two  kinda  probably  became  friends."

    "Friends?  Ha!  Okay.  Okay.  Maybe  without  me  realizing  it.  But he  has  a  obsessive  crush  on  me.  I  don't  know  where  that  would of  lead.  He  never  showed  any  signs  of  affection  for  Guinna.  But he  said  he  loved  her."

    "He  didn't  love  her,  though."

    "In  his  frame  of  mind,  obsession  was  love.  Just  like  he loved  gold  and  stuff.  He'd  latch  on  to  anything  that  showed sympathy  for  him."

    "Well,  I'm  thankful  he's  gone  forever  and  he  can  never  hurt us  anymore."

    "Yeah,  right."

    Kit  walked  back  to  the  rocking  chair  and  sat  down.

    "How've  you  been  coping  with  your  break  up  with  Shawn?"

    "I'm  all  right  with  it.  I  thought  we  were  going  to  be together  forever.  I  thought  he  was  my  soul  mate.  We  were together  for  two  years.  I  thought  I  knew  him,  inside  and  out. But  it  turned  out  he  was  a  jerk.  Too  impatience  to  wait  till we  finished  college.  The  hardest  part  was  was  when  I  said  if you  truly  love  me,  you'll  wait.  And  I  didn't  hear  a  sound.  He walked  off  and  left  me  there.  I  felt  like  a  fiddle  that  had been  played  for  fun  and  not  taken  seriously."

    "That  guy  was  a  huge  jerk.  Molly,  he  doesn't  deserve  you."

    "That's  what  mom  said.  I  wanted  so  much  to  have  a relationship  like  your  and  Guinna.  I  wanted  to  have  kids  like yours.  I  wanted  it  all."

    "Someday  you'll  get  married  to  the  person  you're  suppose  to be  with.  And  someday  you'll  have  kids  that  you'll  love  as  much as  mind."

    "When?  Or  how  will  I  know  that  that  guy  is  the  guy  who  is right  for  me?"

    "You'll  know."

    "But  when?"

    "You're  seventeen.  You  have  you're  whole  life  to  find  that person."

    "I  guess  you're  right,  Kit.  I  just  got  to  be  patianct. Unlike  Shawn."

    "That's  my  girl"  Kit  said  wrapping  his  arm  around  her  waist.

 

*                    *                       *

 

    Molly's  mind  was  racked  after  trying  to  come  up  with  a  plan to  go  find  Karnage.  She  came  downstairs  with  bags  under  her eyes.  Everyone  else , even  Baloo,  had  gotten  up  before  her.  She walked  in  the  kitchen.  Everyone  was  sitting  around  the  new eight-seater  table.  Molly  poured  her  milk  into  her  cereal  and  sat down  across  from  her  mom.  She  tried  gaining  courage. 

    "Mom,  there  is  this  psychology  retreat  kinda  thing  going  on in  Winger  City.  I  was  wondering  if  I  could  go."

    "How  much  does  it  cost?"

    "O,  not  much  at  all.  U'n'U  pays  for  it  if  you  pre-register and  I  pre-registered.  So,  all  you  have  to  pay  for  is  my  food and  stuff."

    "How  long  is  it  for?"

    "I  think  two  weeks  or  so.  It  starts  in  two  days."

    "That's  soon,  Molly.  Would  you  be  able  to  make  it?"

    "Of  course,  I  would.  I  really  want  to  go."

    "I  guess  we  can  afford  it."

    "Baloo,  has  a  shipment  to  Winger  City  tomorrow"  Guinna  said holding  one  of  the  babies.  Kit  was  feeding  the  other.

    "That  works  out  perfect.  I'll  get  packing."

    Molly  throw  her  bowl  in  the  sink  and  ran  upstairs  to  pack. She  didn't  know  what  she  would  do  when  she  got  there.  Karnage couldn't  be  too  far  away  from  there.

 

*                          *                      *

 

    Baloo  dropped  her  off  at  the  Winger  City  airfield.  He  offered to  escort  her  to  the  retreat,  but  Molly  declined  knowing  go  and well  that  there  was  no  retreat.  She  walked  around  the  city  with her  backpack  on  her  back  and  a  newspaper  clipping  of  Karnage  in her  hand.  She  showed  the  clipping  to  people  asking  if  they  had seen  him,  but  no  one  had.  The  day  was  wearing  down  and  she  was getting  tired.  Finally  she  had  some  success.  An  old  man  pointed her  in  the  direction  of  a  clinic.  She  headed  over  to  the clinic.

    ~ I  better  find  him  her  or  I'm  gonna  be  angry.  Wait.  I'm already  angry. ~

    Molly  walked  up  to  the  back  street  clinic.  She  turned  in  a 360%  circle  to  watch  her  back.  But  as  she  was  turning  a  second time,  she  ran  into  something.  She  fell  and  the  person  had dropped  their  books  on  the  ground.

    "O,  my  goodness.  I'm  sorry"  she  said  not  looking  up  at  the person.  She  picked  up  the  books. 

    "Here  let  me  help  you  up"  the  person  said.

    Molly  lifted  her  head  to  see  a  younger  looking  Karnage , minus the  accent,  holding  his  hand  out  for  her.  She  reluctantly  took it  and  he  lifted  her  to  her  feet.

    "Thank  you.  Here…here's  your  books."

    "Thanks.  You  okay?  I  didn't  get  hurt  or  anything?  Any  cuts or  bruises?"

    "No,  I'm  not  hurt."

    She  stared  at  him.  Stunned  at  what  she  saw.  The  wolf  noticed she  was  staring  and  got  tired  of  it  knowing  the  routine introduction  he  always  has  to  give.

    "Yes.  Yes.  I  am  Delancy  Karnage.  The  son  of  the  feared pirate  Don  Karnage."

    "You're  his  son!  He  never  told  me  he  had  a  son."

    "Wait.  You  know  him?"

    "On  good  and  bad  terms,  yes."

    "This  is  so  weird.  What's  your  name?"

    "Molly  Cunningham."

    "Good  to  meet  you  Molly"  he  said  shaking  her  hand.   "To  be honest  with  you,  my  real  last  name  is  Lancastor.  I  just  like the  sound  of  Del  Karnage  instead  of  Del  Lancastor."

    "So,  how  is  Karnage  your  father?"

    "Before  I  get  into  detail.  You  hungry?"

    "I'm  starving."

    "Come  on."

    He  lead  her  to  the  street  and  they  started  walking  to  a small  restaurant  nearby. 

    "So,  how  do  you  know  him?"

    "Me  and  Karnage  have  a  long  history  together.  First,  he kidnapped  me  when  I  was  five.  Then,  he  made  me  think  my  mother was  dead.  He  kidnapped  my  sister.  He  helded  me  hostage  for  a second.  I  became  his  councilor  in  jail.  I  got  to  know  him. Blah,  blah,  blah.  Now,  I'm  that  he's  escaped  from  prison,  I  have to  find  him.  I  can't  let  him  go  back  to  his  old  ways  and  get killed  in  the  process."

    "Whoa!  Talk  about  history.  I  feel  sorry  'cause  I  don't  have much  to  say.  Only,  he's  my  biological  father  and  that's  all.  I never  met  him  before."

    "Do  you  get  a  lot  of  people  who  mistake  you  for  him?"

    "O,  ya.  Too  many.  Tourist  think  I'm  gonna  hurt  them  and stuff.  The  police  here  know  me  so  I've  never  been  arrested.  I just  hate  having  to  explain  everytime."

    "Hey,  Del,  I  know  we  just  met,  but  would  you  help  me  find Karnage?  I  know  it's  a  lot  to  ask,  but…"

    "I'd  love  to  help  you.  I  always  wanted  to  meet  him.  And  I have  nothing  to  do  till  September."

    "What's  in  September?"

    "College.  I  start  my  second  year  of  medical  school."

    "Wow.  I  start  college  in  September  too.  I'm  majoring  in psychopathology."

    "That  is  so  cool."

    "Yeah.  So,  how'd  you  get  into  medicine?"

    "My  mom  is  a  nurse  and  my  dad…step-dad  is  a  doctor."

    "Was  that  their  clinic?"

    "Yes.  My  dad  wanted  to  treat  people  who  couldn't  afford treatment."

    "Your  parents  must  be  very  giving."

    "They  are.  You  would  of  assumed  I'd  grow  up  a  spoiled  brat. But  I  didn't.  I  want  to  help  people  as  much  as  my  parents  do."

    "Are  you  sure  Karnage  is  your  biological  father?"

    "Yes.  My  mom  says  that  he  is  and  don't  you  see  the resemblance?"

    "Yeah.  You  look  exactly  like  him."

    "What  about  your  family?"

    "My  family.  Ya  possessive  you  want  me  to  tell  you  about them?  No,  just  kidding."  Molly  pulled  out  an  envelope  from  her backpack  pocket  and  took  out  the  pictures  inside.  "This  is  me and  my  mom.  She  use  to  be  a  high  class  business  woman,  but  my sister  took  her  job.  And  that's  my  mom's  boyfriend,  O'Mally.  That is  my  sister,  Guinna,  and  my  brother,  Kit,  and  my  two  new niece  and  nephew,  Miranda   and  Antony.  Guinna  runs  Higher  for Hire.  That's  our  business.  And  Kit  is  the  cargo  pilot."

    "Wow!  You've  got  a  lot  of  family."

    "I'm  not  done  yet.  This  is  Baloo,  Kit's  father  and  kind  of my  surrogate  dad.  He  been  a  cargo  pilot  for  a  very  long  time. And  this  is  Wildcat,  our  mechanic.  He's  been  a  really  good friend  to  me  eventhough  he's  lost  a  few  of  his  marbles.  That's just  the  way  he  is."

    "Who's  this?"  Del  asked  seeing  there  was  one  more  picture  in the  envelope.

    "O,  him.  That's  my  ex-boyfriend,  Shawn.  He  dumped  me  a  few weeks  ago  on  graduate  night  because  he  wanted  to  get  married right  away.  I  told  him  to  wait,  but  he  didn't  want  to.  So,  the creep  he  was  and  is,  dumped  me.  And  I  thought  he  really  loved me."

    "That's  hard  to  get  dumped  by  someone.  I've  experienced  that a  couple  times."

    "How  many  times?"

    "One.  Well,  that's  the  girlfriend  I  ever  had."

    "She  dumped  you?"

    "Yeah."

    "Why?"

    "She  liked  bad  guys  better.  She  said  I  was  too  genteel  for her  liking."

    "Genteel?  Did  she  say  it  like  that?"

    "Yeah  kind  of.  She  tried  letting  me  down  easy.  But  I  got over  it.  I  mostly  pay  attention  to  my  studying,  but  now  that I'm  twenty,  I'm  ready  to  take  a  break  for  the  summer."

    "Me  too."  It  was  getting  dark  outside.  Molly  checked  her watch.  "Dang.  It's  getting  late.  I  don't  got  much  time  to  try and  find  Karnage.  Do  you  think  we  can  leave  tonight?"

    "Where  do  you  think  he  could  be?"

    "I  know  he's  probably  not  in  Usland.  He  said  he  wanted  to change  his  life.  Too  many  people  would  know  he  was  in  Usland."

    "Tell  me  how  he  escaped  from  prison?"

    "He  faked  his  death."

    "He  must  be  pretty  good  at  scaming."

    "Pretty  good.  He's  a  genius  at  it."

    "I  know  a  way  we  can  get  out  of  Usland  territory."

    "How?"

    "Hitch  a  ride  on  a  plane  that's  heading  out."

    "That's  what  I  was  thinking."

   

*                          *                          *

 

    The  two  went  to  Del's  apartment  a  few  blokes  away. 

    "Where  do  you  get  the  money  to  pay  for  this  apartment  and your  college  fee?"  Molly  asked  walking  into  the  small  area  which was  Del's  house.  It  was  a  pretty  fancy  place  with  embellished decor.  "O,  I  see.  Your  parents  must  be  rich."

    "I  wouldn't  say  rich.  I'd  say  well  off."  Del  walked  into  his room  leaving  Molly  gazing  at  the  living  room. 

    "Well  off!  Geez!  My  family  must  be  poor  then."  Del  laughed. She  picked  up  a  frame  with  a  photo  of  his  parents.  His  mother looked  very  sophisticated.  "How  in  the  world  did  someone  like your  mom  meet  Karnage?"

    "He  was  robbing  my  grandparent's  mansion  and  she  fell  in  love with  him.  My  mom  stayed  with  his  gang  till  she  had  me.  That's when  he  kicked  her  out  of  the  pirates.  I  guess  he  didn't  want me  around."

    "Did  he  love  your  mom?"

    "No.  She  hardly  saw  him  when  she  was  living  with  him.  I guess  when  I  was  born,  the  pleasures  of  the  flesh  ended  and  he got  tired  of  her.  Dang!  Talk  about  a  creep.  I'm  glad  I  wasn't raised  around  all  that  pirate  stuff."

    "Good  thing  you  weren't.  You  might  of  turned  out  like  him."

~ Either  Karnage  didn't  want  him  around  or  he  didn't  want  to wreck  Del's  life. ~

    "That  reminds  me." Del  picked  up  his  phone  and  dialed  a number.  "Hello.  James.  This  is  Delancy.  Is  one  of  my  parents there?…They're  not.  Where'd  they  go?…Dexter's.  They  didn't  tell  me that…Well,  I  don't  have  time  to  wait  for  them.  Could  you  give them  a  message?…Thanks.  It  is  I'm  going  out  of  town  for  a  week or  so.  I'll  be  fine.  Thanks  again,  James.  Tell  them  I  love them.  Bye."  Del  hung  up  the  phone.

    "Who's  James?" 

    "Their  butler."

    "O.  A  butler.  Wow!  Your  parents  must  really  be  well  off.  Are ya  sure  you'll  be  able  to  handle  this  search?  We  might  get  in some  rough  situations.  I  can't  be  responsible  for  your  well being."

    "Nonsense,  Molly.  I  always  wanted  to  do  something  daring."

    "Daring  wouldn't  be  the  word  for  this.  More  like  survival."

    "Why  are  you  doing  this  if  it  puts  your  life  in  danger?"

    "I  have  a  responsibility  in  keeping  Karnage  out  of  trouble. I'm  the  only  one  who  can  get  through  to  him.  I'm  the  only  one he'll  listen  to."

    "I'd  feel  responsible  too.  But  is  it  worth  it?"

    "What  do  you  think?  You're  going  with  me."

 

*                     *                    *

 

    Rebecca  and  O'Mally  walked  along  the  winding  streets  of  Cape Suzette. O'Mally  had  promised  to  stick  around  instead  of  touring with  Scatcat  and  the  band.  He  loved  his  job,  but  he  loved something  even  more. Like  always  they  went  out  for  dinner  and maybe  a  movie.  They  called  it  their  usual  routine.

    "So,  now  where  are  we  going?"  Rebecca  asked.

    "I  told  you'll  see  when  we  get  there,  Reebecca."

    They  walked  up  to  an  old  brick  building  that  had  a  blinking sign. 

    "Thomas,  this  is  the  place  you're  bring  me?"  Rebecca  said putting  her  hand  on  her  hip.

    "Yeah,  baby.  This  is  it.  But  the  better  parts  inside."

    O'Mally  opened  the  door  for  Rebecca  and  they  walked  in. 

    "Wait  here."

    "Why?"

    "Just  wait."

    O'Mally  ran  off  down  the  hall  and  into  another  room.  He  was gone  for  a  minute  then  reappeared.

    "You  can  come  in,  Reebecca."

    "Thomas,  what  in  the  world  is  going  on"  she  said  walking into  the  room.  It  was  dark  and  only  one  spotlight  was  shining on  the  entrance.  A  light  all  the  sudden  came  on.  O'Mally  was standing  with  microphone  in  hand  and  Scatcat's  band  was  behind him.

    "What  is  this?"  Rebecca  asked,  alittle  shocked,  with  a  jolted smile.

    "This,  Ms.  Reebecca  Cunningham,  is…"  He  signed  to  band  and they  started  playing.  Rebecca  watched  in  awe  as  O'Mally  sang  a love  song  to  her.  After  they  finished,  Rebecca  ran  up  to  O'Mally and  embraced  him.

    "Thomas,  that  was  beautiful."

    "Thanks,  Beck,  but  it's  not  over."  He  reached  in  his  pocket and  pulled  out  a  ring.  "Reebecca,  I've  known  you  for  sometime now.  And  I  was  stupid  when  I  chose  my  career  over  you.  And when  I  lost  ya,  I  felt  like  I'd  lost  a  part  of  me.  Now,  I'm not  making  the  mistake  a  second  time.  So,  Reebecca,  will  ya please  be  my  wife."

    Rebecca  didn't  know  what  to  say.  She  stood  there  with  tears flowing  and  mind  racing  for  a  decision.  Only  once  before  had  shefelt  this  way  about  someone.  She  didn't  want  to  loose  that  feeling  again.

    "Yes,  Thomas,  I  want  to  be  your  wife."

    "Ya  mean  it?"

    "Yes."

    O'Mally  jumped  up  and  picked  up  Rebecca.

    "Baby,  your  never  gonna  regret  this."

    He  slipped  the  ring  on  her  finger.

 

*                     *                     *    

 

     They  went  to  the  airfield  at  midnight.  They  found  a  plane heading  for  Barlow.  They  hide  in  the  cargo  hold.   When  ever  theyhad  to  get  off  one  plane,  they'd  ask  anyone  around  if  they have  saw  Karnage.  One  freelancer  told  them  he  saw  him  in Bago-Shiloh.    They  transferred  from  plane  to  plane  till  they finally  came  up  to  someone  who  would  take  them  straight  to  their destination.

    Molly  was  asleep  in  the  seat  behind  the  pilot  who  had offered.  Del  was  staring  out  of  the  window  at  the  sea  till  he saw  land.

    "Is  that  the  place?"  he  asked  the  scruffy  old  dog  flying.

    "Sure  is.  I  was  born  there  but  don't  like  to  go  back  much anymore."

    "Why?"

    "Don't  like  the  way  things  are  going.  The  way  the  government is  handling  things.  Why  are  you  two  want  to  go  there  so  bad?"

    "We're  searching  for  my  father.  He  disappeared  a  few  days ago."

    "You  think  he  went  there?"

    "That's  what  Molly  thinks."

    The  pilot  was  coming  in  for  a  landing  right  about  then.  Del turned  and  taped  Molly's  shoulder.

    "Hey,  Molly.  We're  here."

    "Huh,  we  are"  she  said  sleepily.

 

*                        *                     *               

 

    It  was  raining  in  New  Fedora  has  Kit  unloaded  the  cargo.  He was  already  soaked    and  getting  wetter  when  he  finished unloading.  He  ran  into  a  pilot's  bar  near  the  airfield.  He  took off  his  drenched  coat  and  sat  down  at  the  bar.

    "What  will  it  be,  mac?"  the  bartender  asked.

    "Do  you  have  a  soda?"

    "I  only  serve  beer."

    "Well,  I  don't  drink."

    "What  would  you  expect  from  a  bar?  I  got  coffee  in  the back."

    "That'll  be  fine."

    A  man  wearing  a  brown  trenchcoat  sipping  a  glass glanced  over at  Kit.  He  keep  looking  in  Kit's  way  till  Kit  noticed.

    "Do  you  have  a  problem,  sir?"

    "No,  no.  I  don't.  I  was  just  wondering.  Are  you  Kit Cloudkicker?"

    "Yeah,  why?  Do  you  know  me?"

    "Actually,  I  do."  The  leopard  skutted  next  to  Kit.  "Colin Norris."  He  put  out  his  paw  to  shake.  Kit  stared  at  him  strange then  shock  his  hand. 

    "How  do  you  know  me?"

    "Well,  I  never  met  you  before,  but  I  knew  Sabrina."

    "My  mom.  How?"

    "We  worked  together  for  the  Usland  Intelligence  Agency."

    "My  mom  never  worked  at  no  intelligence  agency.  She  was  like a  freelancer.   An  accivice."

    "Who  do  you  think  employed  her.  In  that  girl's  short  three years  she  worked  for  it,  she  uncovered  twenty  conspiracies."

    "I  don't  get  it."

    Ya  see,  we  paid  her  to  find  conspiracies.  I  want  to  offer you  the  same  job  ya  mom  had."

    "Look,  I'm  still   don't  understand.  I  was  told  my  mom  was  a free  activice."

    "She  wasn't.  Kit,  I  gotta  go.  Here's  my  card.  Call  me  if your  interested."

    The  leopard  gave  Kit  a  business  card.  He  looked  at  it  then looked  up  to  see  that  the  man  was  gone.

 

*                      *                  *

       

      Molly  and  Del  started  their  search  for  Karnage.  The  city was  huge  and  they  scawlered  ever  section.  They  got  a  lead  from a  homeless  man  that  saw  Karnage  always  going  in  and  out  of  a bar  on  the  corner. 

    "Is  this  it?"  Molly  asked  grimacing  at  the  sight  of  the  run down  area.

    "That  old  guy  said  the  Corner  bar  and  that's  what  the  sign says."

    "Well,  go  in."  Molly  was getting  nervous.  A  bull  dog  with  a vulgar  expression  stomped  out  the  bar.

    "Molly  stay  close  to  me."

    "Don't  worry,  I'm  not  leaving  your  side.  Especially  in  this place."

    Del  walked  in  with  Molly  right  behind  him  holding  on  to  his shoulder.  The  crowd  inside  didn't  look  too  friendly  with  mostly big  overpowering  men  sitting  at  the  tables  drinking.  Some  glanced up  at  the  two  kids  as  they  walked  up  to  the  bar.

    "Whatcha  want?"  the  bartender  asked  them. 

    "Uh…we  need  your  help  sir."

    "I  don't  help  no  one  but  myself.  So,  you  either  buy  a  drink kid  or  you  and  ya  girlfriend  get  out."

    "Sir,  please"  Molly  said.  "Have  you  ever  seen  this  man?"  She showed  him  the  picture.

    "Yeah.  That's  my  new  renter.  He  rents  the  room  above  this bar."

    "Can  we  go  up  and  talk  to him?"

    "His  business  isn't  mine.  Go  up."

    "Thank  you,  sir."

    The  two  went  up  the  stairs.  At  the  end,  was  a  door.  Molly knocked.  Karnage  opened  the  door  with  an  astonished  expression.

    "Molly,  how  did  you  find  me?"

    "Karnage,  your  too  easy  to  track.  May  we  come  in?"

    "Come."  Karnage  finally  saw  Del.  They  stared  each  other  down for  a  moment.  "Molly,  who  is  your  young  who  looks  like  amazing me?"

    "It's  like  looking  into  a  mirror"  Del  said.  "Man,  I  do  look like  you."

    "Who  are  you?  Molly,  what  is  going  on?"

    "You  don't  recognize  me.  You  don't  remember  kicking  my  mom out  when  she  had  me.  You  don't  remember  that.  I'm  Delancy Karnage,  your  son."

   

      "My  son.  I"  Finally  Karnage  remembered.  It  all  came  back  to him.  "Would  someone  explain  this  little  reunion  to  me."

    "Karnage,  you  know  I  wouldn't  let  you  off  the  hook.  I've been  searching  for  you  and  I  accidentally  met  up  with  Del.  He wanted  to  meet  you  so  he  came  along  with  me.  And  his  real  last name  isn't  Karnage.  It's  Lancastor."

    "Are  you  really  my  son?"

    "Yes,  sir.  I  am.  Do  you  remember  my  mom?"

    "Yees.  She  was  Ursula."

    "Yeah.  I'm  surprised  you  remembered."

    Molly  turned  to  Del.  "Del,  don't  cause  any  trouble.  We  didn't come  here  for  that."

    "And  what  did  you  kids  come  here  for?  I  told  you  not  to come  after  me,  Molly."

    "I  know  I  wasn't  suppose  to  come  after  you,  but  I  was afraid  you  might  have  a  relapse."

    "Molly,  my  dear,  I  am  doing  fine."

    "You're  only  been  out  of  jail  for  a  few  days.  How  can  you get  your  life  on  track  in  a  few  days?"

    "I  got  a  job  and  a  place  to  live."

    "Where  are  you  working?"

    "I  work  as  the  night  bartender."

    "You're  working  as  the  bartender!  Do  you  drink  too?"

    "No  of  course  not.  I  make  de  drink.  I  do  not  drink  them."

    "How  'bout  after  your  shift  is  up?"

    "No."

    "Okay.  Just  checking.  Maybe  you  are  doing  good."

    "Put  down  your  bags  and  sit."

    Molly  and  Del  set  down  their  backpacks  and  sat  on  the  couch that  wasn't  in  good  shape.  It  was  torn  and  faded  with  springs hanging  out  the  bottom. 

    "Sorry  for  the  mess.  I  usually  like  my  quarters  clean,  but  I have  only  been  here  a  few  days."

   

*                          *                        *

 

    Rebecca  and  O'Mally  agreed  to  not  tell  anyone  about  their engagement  till  Molly  came  back,  but  Rebecca  couldn't  hold  it  in for  long.  Baloo  had  noticed  a  big  difference  in  her  that  night when  she  came  home.  He  wondered  what  happen  to  make  her  so  up beat.  He  found  her  feeding  the  babies  that  morning.

    "Where'd  Kit  and  Guinna  go  to?"  he  said  picking  up  one  of the  babies.

    "They  left  early  on  a  delivery.  We  get  the  twins  for  the day."       

    "Say,  Becky,  what  made  you  so  happy  last  night?  You  haven't acted  like  that in  a  long  time?"

    "What  do  you  mean?"

    "Well,  you  came  in  late  and  you  were  just…I  can't  explain it."

    Baloo  picked  up  a  bottle  of  the  nightstand.

    "Has  Miranda  been  feed  yet?"

    "No,  you  can  feed  her."  Rebecca  set  the  bottle  she  was holding  down  and  burped  Antony  on  her  shoulder.  "So,  you  want  to know  why  I  was  so  happy  last  night?"

    "Yeah."

    "I'll  tell  you,  but  promise  to  keep  it  a  secret  till  Molly gets  back."

    "Sure.  Whatever.  I  will."

    Rebecca  held  up  her  hand.  A  small  diamond  ring  was  on  her finger.

    "Is  that  what  I  think  it  is?"

    "Yes.  An  engagement  ring."

    "O'Mally  asked  you  to…"

    "Yes.  To  marry  him"  she  said  enthusiastically.

    "That's  great,  Becky.  Let  me  be  the  first  to  congratulate  you and  O'Mally"  he  said  giving  her  a  loose  hug.  Antony  started crying.

    "O,  Antony,  what's  wrong  baby?"  Rebecca  held  the  baby  up. 

    "He  probably  misses  his  mommy."

    "No.  It's  something  else."

 

*                      *                   *

 

    Molly  watched  as  the  united  father  and  son  sat  across  from each  other  timidly.  No  one  was  speaking  and  Molly  was  getting fed  up  with  the  situation.

    "So,  Karnage,  can  we  stay  for  a  few  days?"

    "If  you  want  to.  How  long  can  you  two  stay?"

    "Only  a  few  days.  My  mom  thinks  I'm  at  a  retreat."

    "Molly,  you  lied  to  your  mom?"

    "Yeah.  If  I  told  her  I  was  going  to  search  for  you,  she wouldn't  of  let  me  out  the  house  for  a  year."

    "What  are  you  going  to  do  here?"

    "Observe  you.  See  if  you  can  handle  the  real  world  without having  a  relapse."  Molly  turned  to  Del  who  was  sitting  next  to her.  "Del,  you  can  leave  if  you  want.  You  don't  have  to  stay."

    "No,  Molly,  I  want  to  stay.  You  might  not  be  safe  with him."

    "Excuse  you,  boy.  Molly  is  perfecatly  fine  with  me."

    "Mr.  Karnage,  I  am  not  a  boy.  I'm  twenty  year  old  man.  And I  have  a  name  and  that's  Del  or  Delancy.  So,  please,  don't  call me  boy  again."

    "I  can  see  yawl  two  are  going  to  get  along  swell"  Molly said  cynically  sitting  back  on  the  couch  and  crossing  her  arms.

 

*                    *                  *

 

    The  confrontation  with  the  man  in  the  bar  ate  at  Kit's  mind. It  had  only  been  two  days.  Kit  sat  in  the  cockpit  of  his plane,  Blue  Heaven,  staring  at  the  business  card.  Guinna  walked in  with  a  wry  face. 

    "Hey,  Kicker.  I  saw  you  land,  but  you  didn't  come  inside.  I was  getting  a  little  worried"  she  said  sitting  down  on  the  arm rest  next  to  him.

    "I  was  thinking  about  that  job  offer  I  got  the  other  day  in New  Fedora.  That  guy  didn't…he  knew  who  I  was.  He  knew  my  mom.How  did  he  know  me  if  he  last  saw  me  when  I  was  only  two. Are  those  people  watching  me  without  me  knowing?"

    "I  have  no  clue."

    "And  what  about  the  job  offer.  Exposing  government conspiracies.  I  thought  my  mom  was  like  a  hero,  y'know.  She  was an  activist  that  wanted  to  help  people.  But  now  I  find  out  she was  hired  to  do  that  and  she  was  paid  to  do  that.  Now,  that guy  wants  me  to  do  that  job."

    "Do  you  want  that  job?"

    "No,  of  course,  not.  That  job  put  my  mom's  life  in  a  lot of  danger.  And  y'know  that  invisible  plane  was  apart  of  a conspiracy.  And  they  killed  her  and  my  father  for  that.  And  your parents  were  put  in  a  dangerous  situation  too."

    "It's  your  decision.  If  you  want  to  be  a  cargo  pilot  for the  rest  of  your  life."

    "What  about  you?  Do  you  want  to  be  a  secretary  for  the  rest of  your  life?"

    "Kit,  I'm  not  a  secretary.  I'm  a  boss  of  a  cargo  business. And  a  wife,  a  mother,  a  full  time  everything.  I  don't  need anymore  to  do."

 

*                    *                *

 

    So  far,  so  good.  Molly  wrote  in  her  observation  notebook. Karnage  was  doing  good  at  his  normal  life.  She  was  surprised  he was  doing  so  well.  Him  and  Del  were  getting  along  alittle  at  a time.  As  for  his  apartment,  it  needed  work.  Molly  and  Del   went out  to  buy  groceries  at  the  marketplace. 

    The  marketplace  was  very  busy  with  Bago  people  speaking  in their  native  language  running  around  like  chickens  with  their heads  cut  off. 

    "I  wonder  what  these  people  are  saying?"  Molly  asked  placing a  bag  of  carrots  in  her  basket.

    "I  know  what  they're  saying.  I  speak  Bago."

    "Really!  You  know  Bago."

    "Yeah.  My  mom  made  me  take  lessons  to  learn  it.  I  hated learning  it.  It's a  really  hard  language."

    "I  always  wanted  to  learn  another  language."

    "No  you  don't.  Trust  me  on  that  on."

    They  walked  around  to  the  bread  table. 

    "Tell  me  more  about  your  family."

    "You  want  to  know  more  about  my  family.  Why?"

    "Just  curiosity."

    "Where  the  heck  do  I  start?  There's  so  much  to  say  about them."

    "How  did  that  big  bear  in  the  picture  become  your  surrogate dad?"

    "Ya  see,  I  was  five  when  my  mom  bought  Higher  for  Hire,  our cargo  business,  and  Baloo  was  the  previous  owner.  But  he  was the,  I  think,  owner  of  the  Sea  Duck.  That's  his  plane…"

    As  Molly  rambled  on  about  the  large  bear,  a  white  cat  down the  aisle  overheard  her  talking.  She  knew  the  name  Baloo  and  thecargo  business  idea  sounded  familiar.  She  hurried  out  the  store.

    Molly  and  Del  walked  out  the  marketplace  with  only  a  bag  of groceries  in  hand.  They  walked  down  the  sidewalk  when  a  white limo  pulled  up  beside  them.   A  short  raccoon  stepped  out  the drivers  seat  and  opened  the  passenger  door.

    "Madame,  will  you  and  your  gentleman  friend  come  with  me please."

    "Why?  What  did  we  do?"

    "Nothing.  I  a sure  you  this  is  strictly  business."

    Molly  looked  at  Del.  He  struggled. 

    "Think  we  should  get  in?"

    "He  said  it's  strictly  business.  So…"

    "You're  no  help"  Molly  said  climbing  into  the  limo. 

    "I'm  take  your  bag , sir"  the  raccoon  said.

    "Okay.  Here."  Del  handed  him  the  groceries.  The  raccoon  walked back  to  the  drivers  side  and  drove  off. 

    "So,  uh…what's  your  name?"  Molly  asked  leaning  against  the first  front  seat.

    "My  name  is  Frederick."

    "Mines  Molly  and  this  is  my  friend  Del.  Where  are  you  taking us?"

    "I  cannot  tell  you."

    "Why  are  you  taking  us  to  this  place  you  can't  tell  us about?"

    "You  will  be  informed  about  everything  when  you  arrive."

    Molly  grimaced  and  sat  back  on  the  seat.  Del  looked  over  at her.

    "Is  this  your  first  time  in  a  limo?"

    "I  bet  it's  not  your  first  time."

    "Sad  to  say  it's  not.  But  I've  never  been  in  one  this small."

    Molly  laughed.  "Never  been  in  one  this  small"  she  mocked. 

    Molly's  jaw  dropped  as  they  pulled  up  to  a  gigantic  white mansion  with  a  beautiful  staircase  leading  up  to  cathedral  size wooden  doors.  The  limo  stopped  and  Fredrick  stepped  out  and opened  the  door  for  them.  Del  hopped  out  then  stuck  out  his hand  for  Molly.  She  willing  excepted  it  and  Del  pulled  her  out the  limo.

    "I  will  make  sure  your  groceries  will  not  spoil"  Fredrick said  closing  the  door.  "Follow  me."

He  led  them  up  the  stairs.  Molly  stared  around  with  amazement.  She  held  on  to  Del  when  the  stairs  got  steep  so  she  could  look around  at  the  gardens  hanging  from  the  window  planters.  Fredrick led  them  into  the  spectacular  parlor. 

    "Wait  here."

    Fredrick  walked  off  into  another  room.  Molly  stepped  up  a little  looking  around  at  the  colorful  tile  floor  and  the  marble tables  with  one  sculpture  sitting  on  each  table. 

    "Have  you  ever  seen  such  a  more  beautiful  place?"  Molly  asked turning  to  Del,  mouth  agape.  "Well,  isn't  this  a  beautiful place?"

    "Yes.  Very.  Reminds  me  of  my  grandfather's  mansion"  he  replied hands  in  his  pocket.

     "Del  stop  mocking  me."  She  pushed  him  on  the  shoulder.

    "I'm  not  mocking  you.  This  looks  like  my  grandfather's mansion.  What  about  you?  You  mocking  me  in  the  limo."

    "I  thought  it  was  funny.  You  never  been  in  one  that  small."

    Fredrick  came  back  in. 

    "Madame,  follow  me,  please." 

    Molly  walked  behind  him.  Del  behind  her.  Frederick  stopped. 

    "Madame  Plano  only  wants  to  speak  with  the  lady.  Please  wait outside."

    "Sure.  No  problem"  Del  said  walking  back  out  to  the  front.

    Molly  walked  into  a  study  with  book  shelves  as  tall  as  the eye  could  see.  Fredrick  close  the  french  doors.  Molly  stood  there watching  a  white  cat  in  green  silk  suit  smoking  a  cigarette. The  lady  puffed  a  few  more  smokes  then  turned  to  face  Molly. She  put  out  the  cigarette  on  the  sea  coral  desk.  She  pulled  out the  large  chair  behind  the  desk.

    "Sit"  the  lady  gestured.

    Molly  sat  in  the  small  airchair  across  from  her. 

    "Let  me  introduce  myself.  I  am  Madame  Plano  or  what  I  like to  be  called , my  original  name,  Arianna  Tybalt.  Who  are  you?"

    "I'm  Molly  Cunningham.  Can  I  ask  why  I'm  here?"

    "Sorry.  I  was  hoping  Fredrick  would  of  explained.  But A  source heard  you  speak  of  a  Baloo  in  the  grocery  store.  Please  detail this  Baloo  to  me  please."

    "Would  it  help  if  I  just  showed  you  a  picture  of  him?"

    "You  have  a  photograph?  Yes,  yes.  Show  me."

    Molly  pulled  out  the  envelope  then  the   picture  of  Baloo  and handed  it  to  the  white  cat.  Arianna  Tybalt  sat  back  with  a stunned  expression.  She  touch  her  upper  lip  then  put  down  the picture.

    "It's  him"  she  whispered.  "It's  him.  Molly,  how  are  you related  to  Baloo?"

    "He's  my  friend  and  kind  a  my  surrogate  father.  I've  knew him  since  I  was  five.  He  took  to  me  right  away  and  me  the same  with  him."

    "Please,  tell  me  more  about  him."

    Molly  sat  there  talking  about  Baloo  for  over  an  hour.  She had  Arianna's  attention  the  whole  time.  Arianna  soaked  in  every detail  Molly  told  her.  She  told  her  that  Baloo  was  a  father  and grandpa  and  his  death  and  coming  _back_  to  life. 

    "I  wish  I  could  see  him.  Only  for  a  moment."

    "You  can.  Come  back  with  me  to  Cape  Suzette.  He'd  be  very surprised  to  see  you."

    "No.  I  cannot.  So,  he  never  married?"

    "Nope.  Sometimes  I  kind  a  hoped  him  and  my  mom  would  get together,  because  I  wanted  him  to  be  my  dad  so  much  and  Kit  my brother.  But  nothing  every  happened.  That's  all  right.  My  mom's boyfriend,  O'Mally  is  a  good  guy.  Why  can't  you  come  with  me?"

    "I  can't  leave  Bago-Shiloh."

    "Why?"

    "The  contract  I  signed  when  I  married  my  husband  says  I can't  leave  my  country."

    "But  you  said  he's  been  dead  for  three  years.  He'll  never know  you  left."

    "Eventhough  he's  dead,  he  still  watches  me  beyond  the  grave."

    "I  have  no  idea  what  your  talking  about."

    "Berg  was  so  controlling  over  me,  he  hired  spies  to  watch  my every  move.  Even  after  he  died.  No  matter  what,  he'll  always  be in  control  of  me."

    "You  can't  ditch  the  spies?  Y'know,  try  to  escape."

    "Tried  and  failed."  

    "What  would  they  do  to  you  if  you  did  really  escape?"

    "By  strict  orders  from  Berg,  they  have  the  right  to  kill me."

    "That  is  definitely  unfair.  This  guy  must  of  been  obsessed over  you  if  he  was  so  controlling  and  didn't  want  anyone  else to  have  you."

    "He  was.  He  was.  I  knew  if  I  would  marry  Baloo,  Berg  would kill  him.  I  couldn't  let  that  happen.  I'm  a  worthless  spark  of life.  I  do  not  know  why  I  still  live.  I  should  die."

    "Hey,  Mrs.  Tybalt,  don't  say  that"  Molly  said  comforting Arianna.

    Just  then,  the  doors  burst  open.  The  two  women  suddenly turned  to  see  Del.  Fredrick  ran  in  behind  him  out  of  breath.

    "Molly,  are  you  okay?"

    "Yes,  I  was  just  talking  to  Mrs.  Tybalt."

    "See!  I  told  you!"  Fredrick  snarled.

        

*               *             *

 

    Molly  and  Del  left  Arianna  Tybalt's  mansion  after  a  few  hours of  conversation  and  dinner.  Frederick  drove  them  back  to Karnage's  apartment  over  the  Corner  bar.  With  groceries  in  hand, they  walked  into  the  apartment  to  find  Karnage  sitting  on  his couch  tensely  shaking. 

    "Karnage,  what  happen?"  Molly  said  sitting  down  next  to  him. 

    He  rotated  to  face  Molly  with  a  blank  expression  on  his face.

    "This  now  ruins  my  plan  to  live  the  boring  normal  life  of everyday  people.  I  cannot  believe  this  happened."

    "What?  What  happened?"  Del  asked  anxiously.

    "Bago-Nova  has  invaded  Bago-Shiloh.  Another  war  has  started right  here.  Right  now."

 

   Midnight  was  rolling  around.  Molly  couldn't  sleep.  She  paced around  the  small  living  room  in  her  night  shirt  and  pants murmuring  to  herself.  Del  heard  her  up  and  got  up  to  see  what she  was  doing.  He  walked  in  to  see  her  distraught.  She  looked up  at  him  and  grimaced.  Del  walked  over  to  the  couch  and  sat down  to  watch  Molly  begin  pacing  again.

    "Molly,  you're  gonna  walk  yourself  straight  into  the  ground" he  remarked  getting  her  attention.

    "I  can't  stop.  I'm  on  the  edge  of  my  nerve  right  now,  Del." She  stopped  pacing.  "What…what  if  we  can't  get  out  of  this country?  What  happens  to  us  then?"  

    "We'll  be  fine.  We're  not  going  to  get  stuck  in  this country.  Not  if  my  parents  can  help  it."

    "How  am  I  going  to  tell  my  mom?"

    "Easy!  Call  her  up  and  say  'mom,  I'm  sorry,  but  I  lied  you and  now  I'm  in  a  war  zone'."

    "Del,  you're  not  helping!"  She  throw  a  pillow  at  him.

    "Sorry!  Just  trying  to  lighten  the  situation  up  a  bit."

    "Please,  don't  make  jokes  right  now."  Molly  started  pacing again.  She  all  the  sudden  stopped  and  turned  to  Del  with  a  tear forming  in  her  eye.  "I'm  scared,  Del."

    "Come  here."  He  gestured  her  to  sit  beside  him.  She  curled up  beside  Del  and  closed  her  eyes.  "It's  going  to  be  okay. You'll  see.  I  will  protect  you."  He  put  his  arms  around  her  and held  her  till  she  fell  asleep. 

 

*                *                  *

 

    Kit  had  flown  to  New  Fedora  still  curious  about  the  job  the strange  man  had  offered  him  in  the  bar  a  couple  of  days  ago. He  walked  up  to  the  office  building  near  the  coast.  It  didn't look  like  your  normal  place  of  work.  The  building  wasn't  fancy and  inside  people  were  in  tiny  cubicles  cramped  up.  People  were scurrying  through  files  and  talking  on  the  phone.  Some  were shouting  at  each  other  and  others  were  slumped  quietly  over  their desk.   Kit  walked  to  the  last  office  down  the  hall  where  he met  up  with  Colin  Norris. 

    "Hello,  Kit.  Or  do  you  like  to  be  called  Krisopher  or  maybe Mr.  Cloudkicker"  Norris  said.

    "No,  Everyone  calls  me  Kit.  That's  the  only  name  I  go  by."

    "Good.  Why  don't  we  step  into  my  office."

    Kit  followed  Norris  into  the  some  what  bigger  office.  He gestured  for  Kit  to  sit  in  the  chair  in  front  of  his  desk.  Kit got  a  strange  feeling  about  the  guy.  He  didn't  trust  him  for some  reason.  Norris  was  jittery  like  he  was  nervous  about  talking to  him.  Maybe  because  he  was  sober  now.  He  was  totally different  in  the  bar.  Norris  went  behind  his  desk  and  sat  in his  chair.

    "So,  did  you  come  for  the  job?"  he  asked  putting  his  elbows on  the  desk.

    "No,  actually,  I  came  to  find  out  a  little  bit  more  about this  job  and  how  in  the  world  did  my  mom  get  this  job."

    "You  want  to  know?"

    "Yes.  Right  now."

    "Her  father,  Beau  Golden,  was  the  famous  thief  of  those  days. Sabrina  would  assist  him  sometimes  and  learn  his  ways.  But good-hearted  Sabrina  turned  Beau  Golden  in  when  she  realized  her father  was  doing  wrong.  When  she  turned  twenty-one,  we  recruited her.  Since  she  was  such  a  good  sneak,  she  didn't  even  have  to go  through  training."

    "But  she  wanted  to  do  this  job,  right?"

    "Of  course."

    "Okay,  so,  tell  me  about  this  job."      

    "There's  not  much  to  say  about  this  job.  Everybody  here  keeps to  themselves.  We're  always  working  hard  on  a  conspiracy  that needs  to  be  exposed."

    "How  does  this  work?"

    "The  job?" 

    Kit  nodded.

    "Well,  since  we  work  for  a  certain  government  group,  we  get full  access  to  the  secret  files.  When  we  find  a  wrong  that  the government  did,  we  bring  it  to the  publics  attention.  Like  we publish  it  in  the  newspaper  or  we  confront  the  government officials  by  starting  a  riot  like  Sabrina  was  so  good  at."

    "I  don't  get  it.  If  you  work  for  the  government  then  why  do you  bring  out  these  things  the  government  has  done  wrong?"

    "It's  simple.  We  are  hired  by  a  certain  area  of  the officials.  They  get  us  to  rat  the  other  officials  out."

    "All  this  is  like  one  big  tattle  tell  game."

    "That's  correct.  We  tattle  and  tell.  But  I  won't  lie  to  you Kit.  This  job  is  dangerous.  We're  not  safe  anywhere.  That's  why we  have  to  be  trained  to  face  anything  that's  thrown  at  us.  We do  have  agents  that  are  hunted  and  killed.  Sabrina  was  one  of the  unfortunte  ones."

    "But,  my  parents  were  killed  over  blueprints  of  an  invisible plane  my  father  invited."

    "You  don't  even  know  the  half  of  it.  A  certain  group  of officials  were going  to  sell  the  blueprints  to  Francisco  Torra  so he  could  use  the  plane  for  defense  in  the  second  great  war  that he  know  was  about  to  happen  soon. With  unfortunate  consequences, Sabrina  exposed  the  whole  thing.  That's  when  your  parents  stole the  blueprints  and  ran."

    "That's  the  truth?"

    "All  of  it. So,  do  you  want  the  job?"

    "After  telling  me  that,  you  think  I  want  to  put  me  and  my wife  and  kids'  lives   in  danger."

    "If  anything  happens  to  you,  your  family   will  be  insured. They  will  inherit  two  million  dollars  if  you  have  a  sudden dimize."

    "Has  it  always  been  like  that?"

    "Yes.  Ever  since  this  group  was  started  at  the  beginning  of the  century."

    "Why  didn't  I  receive  any  money  when  my  mom  died?"

    "Well,  since  both  of  your  parents  were  killed  and  you  do  not any  living  relatives  we  know  of,  the  government  inherited  the money."

    "And  I  was  sent  to  an  orphanage  and  lived  my  first  eleven years  in  heck.  This  job  is  a  curse.  I'm  not  about  to  let  my kids'  lives  turn  out  like  mine."  Kit  stood  up  and  grabbed  his jacket  off  the  back  of  the  chair.  "You  can  keep  the  job.  Good day,  Mr.  Norris."

    Kit  walked  out  of  the  office  irritated. 

    "You'll  regret  refusing  this  job,  Kit.  You'll  never  amount  to anything  being  a  lowly  cargo  pilot  for  the  rest  of  your  life!" Norris  shouted  as  Kit  left.                       

 

*                        *                      *

 

    The  phone  of  Higher  for  Hire  was  set  back  on  it's  receiver. Guinna  raised  her  head  to  see  Kit  landing  his  plane,  Blue Heaven.  He  stormed  in  and  slammed  the  door  behind. 

    "How'd  it  go?"

    Kit  glanced  at  her  and  grimaced.

    "That  good,  huh?"  she  said  sarcastically. 

    Kit's  frown  didn't  change.  He  trekked  up  the  stairs  with Guinna  behind  him.  He  removed  his  jacket  and  throw  it  on  their bed.  Frustrated,  he  plopped  down. 

    "What  happen?"  No  answer.  "I'm  gonna  get  it  out  of  you sometime  or  another."

    "The  never  ending  tragedy  of  my  parents  came  back  to  haunt me  today.  Again!"

    "Uh-oh,  what  did  you  find  out  this  time?"

    Guinna  sat  behind  Kit  and  lovingly  placed  her  arms  around  his neck.

    "Well,  I  found  out  everyone  who  works  at  that  place  has  a price  on  their  head.  If  I  were  to  take  that  job,  I'd  possibly would  get  killed  for  exposing  the  government's  mistakes."

    "What  did  you  find  out  about  your  parents?"

    "I  found  out  my  mom  was  the  one  who  exposed  that  the government  was  going  to  sell  the  blueprints  to  Torra.  That's  one reason  why  they  wanted  her  died."

    "Whoa.  More  and  more  information  on  your  parents  just  keeps rolling  in."

    "And  everyone  has  a  different  story."  Kit  looked  over  at  the crib  realizing  the  babies  weren't  there.  "Where's the  twins?"

    "Our  parents  took  the  them  to  the  park.  _Again_!"

    "Geez…Baloo  and  Rebecca  are  spending  more  time  with  our  kids then  we  are."

    "Well,  they  won't  be  back  for  a  while  and  you  don't  have  to leave  for  another  delivery  till  five.  That  means  we got  time  to ourselves."

    "All  right.  Sounds  good  to  me."

    Kit  turned  to  Guinna  and  they  embraced  passionately , touching lips.  They  started  to  lay  on  their  bed  when  they  heard  the phone  ring.  Guinna  backed  off  discouraged.

    "O,  man!  Business  calls"  she  said  getting  up.

    "Literally"  Kit  remarked  rolling  on  his  stomach.

    "Kicker,  you  stay  right  there  and  don't  go  anywhere.  I'll  be one  second." 

    He  watched  his  wife  run  down  the  stairs  shouting  'I'm coming!'  to  the  phone.

    ~ Of  course,  anything  to  make  my  day  worst .  What  next? ~

    "We're  home!" he  heard  Rebecca  shout  from  the  office.

    "Spoke  too  late."  Kit  dug  his  face  into  his  pillow  and started  thinking  again  of  the  conversation  he  had  with  Colin Norris.           

        

*                          *                         *

 

    "Molly,  you  have  to  call  your  mom."

    "I  can't.  It's  too  hard."

    "Molly!  Call  her!"  Del  said  picking  up  the  pay  phone.  Molly took  it  from  him unwillingly and  put  a  dime  in  the  machine.  She dialed  the  number  and  waited.

    "Higher  for  Hire,  how  may  we  help  you?"  Rebecca  answered.

    "Mom,  it's  me."

    "Molly,  how's  the  retreat?"

    "Well,  I  have  to  tell  you  something  and  you're  not  gonna  be too  happy  about  it."

    "I'm  listening."

    Molly  paused. 

    "Mom,  there  was  no  retreat.  I'm  in  Bago-Shiloh."

    "Molly  Elizabeth  Cunningham!  You  better  have  a  good  explanation for  this.  Don't  you  know  there  is  a  war  starting  there?"

    "Yes,  I  know.  But  I  didn't  when  I  got  here.  Ya  see,  Karnage isn't  dead.  He  faked  his  death  and  wrote  me  a  letter  telling me  he  did."

    "He's  alive!"

    "Yeah.  I  had  to  find  him  and  I  did."

    "Your  with  that…that.  Are  you  all  right?  He  hasn't  hurt  you or  anything?"

    "No,  mom.  I'm  okay."

    "Give  me  the  phone"  Del  said  taking  the  phone  from  Molly. "Ms.  Cunningham."

    "Who  is  this?"

    "My  name  is  Del  Lancastor.  I've  accompanied  your  daughter through  out  this  whole  search.  I  a  sure  you  that  Molly  is  safe with  me.  Karnage  hasn't  done  anything  to  her."

    "You  sound  like  an  honest  man.  Please  get  my  daughter  back to  me."

    "Yes,  ma'am.  I  will.  We're  trying  to  find  a  way  out  of  the country  and  get  back  into  Usland  territory."

    Molly  grabbed  the  phone  again.  "Mom,  please  don't  tell  the police  about  Karnage.  He's  been  on  good  behavior  so  far."

    "I  won't  make  any  promises.  No  telling  what  Kit  will  do  when he  hears  about  this."

    "Mom,  please  don't  tell  Kit  or  anyone  else.  I  don't  want them  to  worry."

    "You  should  of  thought  about  that  before  you  went  off  on your  little  quest."

    A  twinge  came  over  Molly  from  her  mother's  commit.  Now,  she felt  really  bad.  "Mom,  we  gotta  go.  I  love  you."

    "I  love  you  too.  Be  careful."

    "I  will."

    Molly  hung  up  the  phone.  She  had  hurt  her  mom  big  time  and guilt  was  setting  in.  She  let  out  a  small  sob.  Del  put  his arms  around  her. 

    "It's  okay,  Molly."

    "I  hurt  her,  Del.  How  could  I  do  that?  What  was  I  thinking? How  _selfish_  can  I  get?"

    "Molly,  look  at  me"  Del  said  pulling  her  away.  He  wiped  a tear  off  her  cheek  with  his  sleeve.  "Molly  Cunningham,  you're  a caring,  wonderful  person  who'll  do   anything  for  a  friend.  You're not  selfish.  How  can  you  be  when  you  want  to  help  hardened criminals  who  most  people  would  want  to  lock  away  forever  and throw  away  the  key."

    "What  kind  of  councilor  am  I  when  I  can't  even  help  myself make  decisions?"

    "You  don't  know  everything.  You  need  to  realize  you  can  make mistakes.  You're  not  perfect."

    "I  know  that,  it's  just…I  put  your  life  in  danger  too."

    "Hey,  I  chose  to  come.  Don't  blame  yourself  for  my  actions."

    "How  the  heck  are  you  such  a  noble  person?"

    "I  don't  think  of  myself  as  noble,  but  for  some  reason everyone  says  those  things  about  me."

    "And  they  all  tell  the  truth."  

       

*                *                   *

 

    That  afternoon,  the  two  sat  around  Karnage's  apartment  playing cards.  Molly  looked  over  the  cards  she  was  holding.  Del's  blank expression  didn't  help  her  with  the  decision  to  make  her  move  or not.   She  opened  her  mouth,  but  paused  deciding  what  to  do.

    "Ya  got  any  sevens?"

    "No.  Go  fish."

    Molly  picked  a  single  card  off  the  stack  frustrated.  This  was their  eighth  game  and  she  hadn't  won  one  yet.  Del  gazed  at  her with  a  telltale  grin  that  meant  he  was  about  to  win  another game.

    "Got  any  queens?"

    A  disappointed  sigh  come  from  Molly  as  she  handed  over  her card.  Del  took  it  then  laid  down  both  his  cards  on  the  floor.

    "I  win."

    "No  kidding.  That's  the  eighth  time  you've  got  to  say  that."

    "Wanna  play  again?  I'll  let  you  win this  time."

    "No  thanks."

    Molly  try  to  stand,  but  fell  back  to  the  floor.

    "My  foot's  asleep."

    "Wake  it  up"  Del  said  standing  up  himself.

    "How  do  you  wake  up  a  foot?"

    "Here."  He  offered  his  hands  and  pulled  her  up  to  her  feet. Molly  wobbled  a  little,  but  Del  helped  her  keep  her  balance.       

    "Thank  you."

    "I'm  always  here  to  help."

    Molly  and  Del  heard  shouting  coming  from  the  bar  downstairs. They  walked  over  to  the  stairs  and  looked  down. 

    "Unhanded  me,  you  hoodlums!"  a  familiar  voice  shouted  from  the bar.

    "That  sounds  like  Frederick"  Molly  said  looking  up  at  Del. She  ran  down  to  the  bar  with  Del  behind.  They  saw  the  little raccoon  struggling  to  hold  his  own  with  two  big  dogs  trying  to throw  him  out  the  bar. 

    "Hey!  What  are  you  doing  to  him?"  Molly  yelled  walking  up  to them.       

    "We  are  throwing  this  bumbling  idiot  out  of  my  bar"  Karnage said  coming  up  next  to  Molly.

    "I  told  these  blockheads  that  I  have  come  here  to  give  you a  message."   Frederick  jerked  his  arm  out  of  the  gripe  of  one of  the  dogs.

    "And  I  told  you,  you  annoying  little  flea,  that  you  cannot see  Molly."

    "All  right!  That's  enough  name  calling!  How  immature  can  you two  get?  Karnage  don't  decide  who  can  see  me  or  not.  That's your  controlling  behavior  coming  out  again.  Now,  go  back  to serving  and  Frederick,  follow  me."

    "But  Molly…"

    "Go."

    Molly  walked  to  the  stairs  with  Frederick  sticking  out  his tongue  at  Karnage  as  they  pasted  him.  Even  though  Frederick seemed  proper,  he  was  very  much  immature  and  childlike.  He couldn't  of  been  much  older  then  Del  and  had  only  been  Madame Tybalt's  servant  for  a  couple  of  years.  Karnage  stared  up  at them  more  irritated  than  ever  has  they  went  to  his  home.  Del was  leaning  against  the  railing  laughing  at  the  scene  that  had unfolded.  He  followed  Frederick  into  the  house  as  they  close  the door.

 

*                     *                    *

 

    Rebecca  called  everyone  to  the  kitchen  for  a  family  meeting. She  was  the  only  one  who  knew  Molly  was  in  the  middle  of  a war  zone.  One  at  a  time,  they  showed  up  and  sat  at  the  table.

    "Rebecca,  what'd  you  have  to  talk  about  to  us?"  Kit  asked holding  Miranda. 

    "What  I  have  to  say  will  make  all  of  you  angry.  Especially you,  Kit.  So,  no  one  start  shouting  or  anything,  because  I've already  done  enough  of  that  and  it  wouldn't  help  the  situation."

    "Go  head  and  tell  us  already,  Becky"  Baloo  asked  eating  a bag  of  chips.

    "Okay."  She  slowly  stood  up.  "As  all  of  you  have  heard,  a war  has  broken  out  in  the  Bago  countries.  Well,  I  received  a call  from  Molly  yesterday.  She  told  me  she  was  in  Bago-Shiloh."

    "What  is  she  doing  there?!"  Baloo  yelled  dropping  his  bag.

    "It  seems  she  lied  to  me.  There  was  no  retreat.  She  received a  letter  from  the  thought  to  be  dead  Don  Karnage."

    "Karnage  isn't  dead!"  Kit  hollered  almost  dropping  his daughter.  "How the  heck  can  that  be!!"

    "Kit  calm  down  before  Miranda  gets  hurt.  Now,  yes,  Karnage faked  his  death  and  escaped.  He  wrote  a  letter  to  Molly  telling her  what  he  did  and  she  went  on  a  weird  goose  chase  to  find him.  She  ended  up  in  Bago-Shiloh."

    "Why  was  she  looking  for  that  thing  anyway?"  Guinna  exclaimed.

    "I  don't  know.  She  didn't  tell  me  over  the  phone."

    "I  have  to  go  get  her"  Kit  said  handing  the  baby  over  to Rebecca.

    "Kit,  you  can't  go  there.  You'd  be  shot  down  the  moment  your plane  enters  their  airspace."

    "How  is  she  going  to  get  out  of  there,  then?"

    "I  don't  know  anything  right  now."

    "Is  she  with  Karnage?"

    "Yes  and  she's  accompanied  by  a  young  man  named  Del something.  I  can't  remember  his  last  name.  But  I  talked  to  him on  the  phone  too.  He  promised  me  he'd  keep  Molly  safe."

    "Let's  just  pray  she  is."        

 

*                    *                  *

 

    Molly  sat  on  the  couch  while  Frederick  hesitated  to  sit  in the  old  dusty  armchair.  He  looked  at  it  in  disgusted,  but  sat anyway.  Being  a  butler,  he  was  use  to  everything  being  clean.

    "Want  anything  to  drink?"  Molly  asked  Frederick. 

    "No  thank  you.  I  am  only  here  to  give  you  the  message Madame  sent  me  here  to  give  you."

    "Hey,  Freddy.  How  you  and  Mrs.  Tybalt  been?"  Del  asked sitting  beside  Molly  on  the  couch.

    "Not  good,  sir.  Madame  has  been  inform  by  her  source  that Bago-Nova  troops  will  be  invading  the  city  in  the  next  twenty four.  She  has  sent  me  to  gather  as  many  unfortunate  people  as  I could  to  go  to  the  train  station  to  be  transported  to  her country  mansion.  She  especially  wanted  me  to  tell  you  this because  of  your  connection  with  her."

    "The  troops  will  be  invading  that  soon?"

    "I'm  afraid  so.  I  don't  want  to  be  around  when  they  do.  All these   poor  people  being  captured  or  shot  or  even  killed.  No telling  how  many  lives  will  be  lost."

    "They'd  shot  innocent  people?"  Del  asked  in  shock.

    "Yes,  sir.  This  is  a  war  not  a  game.  Innocent  people  will be  killed  for  no  reason.  Bago-Shiloh  does  not  have  a  big  army to  protect  the  people.  They  have  to  fend  for  themselves  and hopefully  they  will  flee  to  the  Usland  embassy.  Madame's  mansion isn't  too  far  away  from  the  embassy.  She  wants  you  to  go  there so  you  can  go  back  to  your  home."

    "Thanks  for  informing  us,  Freddy"  Del  said.

    "When  does  the  train  to  Mrs.  Tybalt's  mansion  leave?"

    "Midnight.  You  have  to  be  there  or  be  stuck  in  this  city. I'd  suggest  you  get  there  early."

   

*                      *                   *

    It  had  turned  dark  over  the  city.  The  argument  from  the small  apartment  over  the  Corner  Bar  could  be  heard  a  mile  away.

    "You're  coming  with  us  no  matter  what!"  Molly  shouted  at Karnage  throwing  her  night  shirt  into  her  backpack. 

    "I  am  not  leaving  to  go  back  the  place  that  put  me  in  the jail.  I  cannot  go  back  to  that"  Karnage  protested  folding  his arms.

    "If  you  don't  came  with  us,  you'll  be  imprisoned  or  killed by  the  Nova  troops.  I  worked  too  hard  to  help  you!  I'm  not letting  my  _somewhat_  first  success  story  go  down  in  flames. You're  coming  with  us  even  if  I  have  to  drag  you  there!"

    "I  can't  go  with  you."

    Molly  turned  to  Del  who  was  being  entertained  by  the  two's argument. 

    "Del,  help  me"  she  begged.

    He  walked  over  to  them.  Karnage  turned  away  arms  still folded.

    "You  know  you  can't  stay  here.  You'll  be  killed  and  then what…" 

    "Then  what,  what?"

    "Then  I  won't  get  to  know  you  better,  dad."

    Karnage's  pout  turned  into  astonishment.  Hearing  someone  call him  dad  sounded  very  strange  to  him,  but  it  was  the  greatest sound  he  had  every  heard.  He  turned  to  them.

    "What  did  you  call  me?"  he  asked  wanting  to  hear  the  word again.

    "Dad.  I  just  called  you  dad.  Why?  You are  my  father,  right? Me  resembling  you  is  not  a  weird  consequent."

    "You  already  have  a  father."

    "Yes,  I  do,  but  you're  my  father  too.  There's  nothing  written that  says  I  can't  have  too  father.  I  mean,  when  I  was  a  kid, I  always  thought  you  were  a   legend  my  mom  made  up,  because  I keep  asking  why  don't  I  look  like  my  dad.  You  were  never  real to  until  I  saw  an  old  photograph   of  you  my  mom  had.  But  if you  don't  want  me  to  call  you  that,  I  won't."

    "No!  I  don't  mind.  Not  a  bit."

    "It's  great  that  you  two  are  getting  along  now.  But  guys , we  gotta  leave  like  soon  or  we'll  miss   our  ticket  outta  this sitting  duck  town"  Molly  said  happy  to  know  the  father  and  son didn't  hate  each  other  like  when  they  first  met.

 

*                          *                      *

 

    The train  station  was  only  five  blocks  from  bar.  It  was  ten o'clock  when  the  trio  left  for  the  station.  The  streets  were filled  with  utter  chaos.  People  were  scurrying  around  like hyperactive  mice  with  personal  possessions  in  hand.  Most were leaving  the  city  after  hearing  the  rumor  of  an  invasion.  The people  who  had  been  informed  of   Madame  Tybalt's  invitation  to hide  out  in  her  country  mansion  on  seven  hundred   acres,  were heading  toward  the  train  station  or  were  already  there. The  three  were  only  one  block  from  the  station  when  the roaring  of  a  strange  sounding  engine  caught  Karnage's  ear.  He stopped  then  peered  up  to  the  black  sky. 

    "Karnage,  what's  wrong?"  Molly  said  stopping. 

    "Shhh"  he  said  discreetly.

    Molly  and  Del  looked  up  to  the  sky  to  see  what  Karnage  was staring  at,  but  all  they  saw  was  darkness.  All  the  sudden,  the roaring  became  louder  and  closer. 

    "What  is  that  noise?"

    "I  think  it's  our  cue  to  run  to  the  train  station  as  fast as  we  can."

    That's  when  something  fell  from  the  sky  three  hundred  feet away  from  them.   It  was  a  bomb. 

    "The  troops  are  already  here"  Del  shouted.

    "Get  down!"   Karnage  knocked  the  two  kids  to  the  ground.  The bomb  exploded.  Horror  broke  out.   When  they  looked  up,  a  brick building  had  been  destroyed  and  debris  was  falling  from  the  sky. People  screaming.  The  invasion  had  begun.

    "We  have  to  get  to  the  station  now  or  else  we'll  never make"  Molly  shouted  jumping  up.

    "If  the  station  is  still  there."

    They  started  running  to  the  station  when  another  bomb  dropped close  to  them.  The  blast  knocked  them  off  their  feet.  They  all went  flying  to  the  ground.  Molly  raised  her  head  a  minute  after the  blast.  What  she  saw  was  a  horrid  scene.  Del  had  been  hit by  shrapnel  in  the  arm.  He  was  sitting  up  holding  his  arm scooting  next  to  a  car  and  was  loosing  blood  quick.  Molly  ran to  him. 

    "Omygosh,  Del,  what…how  can…"  Molly  tried  getting  words  out, but  she  was  too  overwhelmed  by  seeing  his  blood  flowing  out. 

    "Molly,  get  my  bag.  It's  over  there"  he  said  so  composed. 

    She  grabbed  his  bag  that  had  been  thrown  a  couple  of  feet away.  She  ran  back  to  Del's  side  and  slid  down  next  to  him. 

    "Get  out  my  iodine  and  bandages!  I'll  have  to  get  the shrapnel  out  later."                 

    Molly  dug  frantically  in  his  bag  for  the  iodine  and  bandages. She  found  iodine  and  handed  it  to  him.  He  opened  it  and cleaned  the  wound.  Bombs  were  still  dropping  around  them.  Luckily, the  bombers  were  heading  away  from  them.  

    "What  else  can  I  do?"  she  asked  finally  getting  words  out. 

    "Give  me  the  bandage."

    She  gave  him  the  bandage  and  his  rolled  it  around  his  wound then  tore  it.

    "Get  the  tape  out  the  pocket  in  the  front."

    Molly  got  the  tape  out  the  pocket. And  gave  it  to  him.

    "Hold  this."

    She  held  the  bandage  in  place  while  Del  rapped  the  tape around  it.  He  finished  and  tore  it  with  his  teeth.  They  sat  for a  second  in  silence,  but  Karnage  broke  the  silence. 

    "My  son,  are  you  hurt?"  he  said  running  up  to  Del.

    "I'm  okay.  It's  only  a  flesh  wound."

    "How  can  you  say  it  was  a  flesh  wound?"  Molly  shouted hysterical.  "There  was  blood  everywhere."

    "I'm  okay"  Del  said  standing.  "Now,  let's  get  to  the  station. I  can  from  here  that  it's  still  standing."

    They  began  running  again  to  the  station.  They  had  almost reached  the  depoe  when  Del  saw  a  cheetah  crying  over  her husband's  body.  Del  ran  over  to  her  and  kneeled  down  beside  the body.  He  stared  at  the  mangled  body  wide  eyed  and  frightened  of what  he  saw.

    "Please,  help  my  husband.  Please!"  the  woman  cried. 

    Del  looked  up  at  her  seeing  the  tears  and  sadness  on  her face.  He  composed  himself  then  checked  the  man's  pulse.  Nothing. 

    "Mam,  I'm  sorry,  but  he's  died.  Half  his  chest  is  gone  and there's  no  pulse."

    The  bombers  were  coming  back  around.  Molly  ran  up  to  Del. 

    "We have  to  get  on  that  train  now."

    "Mam,  were  you  and  your  husband  getting  on  the  12:00  train?"

    "Yes."

    "You  better  come  with  me.  It's  leaving  soon."

    "No!  I  do  not  want  to  leave  Ben."

    "You  have  to  or  you'll  die too."

    "I  don't  care!"

    "Del,  come  on!"  he  heard  from  a  distance.

    He  couldn't  save  the  died  man,  but  he  could  save  his  wife. The  only  way  was  by  force  though.  Del  stood  up  grabbing  the crying  woman  by  the  waist. 

    "No!"  she  screamed  as  he  dragged  her  to  the  train.  The whistle  had  just  blown  and  the  train  was  starting  to  move.  Molly was  in  the  doorway  of  one  of  the  passenger  cars.  He  ran  to  it and  placed  the  woman  on  board  then  he  jumped  on  board  himself closing  the  door  behind  him.  Del  fell  to  the  ground  in exhaustion. 

    A  hour  later,  he  found  himself  lying  on  a  bed  in  a passenger  room.  Molly  was  sitting  on  the  floor  next  to  the  bed. Del  turned  his  head  to  see her  staring  at  him.

    "Hi.  Your  awake.  I  didn't  know  what  to  do  after  collapsed.  I got  scared  for  a  while"  she  told  him.

    "Where  am  we?"  he  said  sitting  up  at  the  sight  of  an unfamiliar  surroundings. 

    "We're  on  the  train  that's  taking  us  to  Mrs.  Tybalt's mansion.  Don't  you  remember  you  saving  that  lady's  life  but  you couldn't  save  her  husband's."

    Del's  memory  came  back  to  him.  The  memory  he  wanted  to forget.  He  wondered  why  he  black  out  after  getting  onto  the train.  He  came  to  a  conclusion  that  he  may  of  lost  too  much blood  from  his  arm  being  hit.  He  sat  there  for  minutes  lost  in deep  thought  about  what  had  happen  a  short  while  ago. 

    "Del…Del,  are  you  all  right?  If  you're  not  I'll  go  find  a doctor  on  board  to  help  you"  she  said  fixing  to  leave.  He grabbed  her  arm  suddenly. 

    "Molly,  don't  go.  I'm  fine.  I  probably  just  couldn't  handle all  that  stuff  that  went  on  in  the  street."

    She  sat  down  next  to  him  looking  at  her  friend  with  concern.

    "Are  you  positive  that's  why  you  collapsed?"

    "Yes.  I'm  fine."  He  felt  a  twist  in  his  stomach.  He  knew  he wasn't  telling  the  truth.  Maybe  psychically  he  was  okay,  but mental  stress  was  getting  to  him.  Del  let  out  a  big  sigh.  "I just…I  just…couldn't  do  it.  I  couldn't  save  him."  A  tear  fell from  his  eye.  "I  wanted  to  help  that  poor  man,  but  he  was already  died.  I  couldn't  do  anything,  but  watch  his  wife  scream for  someone  to  save  him.  I  almost  lost  it  out  there.  I  almost broke  down.  For  a  moment  I  didn't  feel  anything.  I  finally composed  myself  to  tell  that  lady  her  husband  was  died.  I  mean she  should  of  know.  Half  his  chest  was  gone  for  goodness  sakes! I  never  in  my  whole  life  of  being  around  emergency  rooms  and  my parent's  clinic  seen  such  an  awful  sight.  You  probably  think  I'm being  foolish?"

    "Don't  say  that,  Del.  Let  it  out.  You  need  to.  Cry  as  much as  you  want.  I'm  here  for  you"  she  said  handing  him  a  tissue.

    "Thank  you."  He  wiped  his  eyes.  "Thank  you  for  understanding."

    "That's  why  I'm  here."

    Molly  embraced  Del  who  was  still  crying  a  little.  Molly  had been  the  best  friend  he  had  ever  had  in  his  entire  life.  She didn't  care  how  rich  he  was  or  who  he  looked  like.  He  didn't want  to  tell  her  the  truth  about  his  first  and  only  girlfriend. It  was  hard  enough  telling  a  lie  about  her  much  less  the  truth. Even though  they  had  only  talked  about  their  past  loves  the first  day  they  met,  he  wasn't  about  to  tell  the  embarrassing  truth  about  what  _happened_.

    "How  is  that  lady  doing?" 

    "She's  okay  for  now.  After  you  got  her  on  the  train,  she cried  hysterically  for  the  next  hour.  Karnage  stayed  with  her  to comfort  her  and  stuff.  Gee,  that  sounds  weird.  Karnage  comforting someone.  But  it's  good  he's  doing  that  and  nothing  immoral."

    "Yeah,  that  is  good." 

    Del  felt  blood  from  his  wound  seeping  out.  That  bandage  was bloody  and  needed  to  be  changed.

    "Molly,  could  you  give  me  a  hand  with  my  dressings.  It definitely  needs  a  changing."

    "Sure  I'll  help.  There's  nothing  else  to  do  around  here.  I have  to  admit  for  the  past  two  and  half  weeks,  you've  been  my favorite  person  to  be  around."

    *And  you  mine*  he  thought  glancing  up  at  Molly  while  she  got out  a  new  dressings  from  his  bag.               

     

           The  train  traveled  over  rivers  and  around  mountains  which  took a  long  time  to  travel  on.  It  had  been  three  days  since  the three  had  literally  jumped  onto  the  train.  People  especially  with children  were  going  stir  crazy  in  the  cramped  space  of  the train.  Most  of  the  people  had  living  compartments  that had  bunk beds with  a  small  couch  across  from  them.  The  three  shared  the small  compartment.  Del  had  moved  from  the  bottom  to  the  top  bunk where  he  spent  most  of  his  time  resting  from  his  injury  after removing  the  shrapnel. 

    "Hey.  How  are  you  feeling?"  Molly  asked  walking  into  the compartment.  Del  was  sitting  on  the  couch,  his  chin  resting  on his  hand, staring  out  the  window  at  all  the  exotic  scenery. 

    "I'm  okay.  Just  been  bored  out  of  my  mind.  And  what  have you  been  doing?"

    "I've  been  just  talking  with  people.  Trying  to  comfort  them and  stuff  like  that.  Y'know,  the  usual"  she  said  plopping  next to  him.

    "And  what's  my  estranged  father  doing?"

    "He's  teaching  some  little  kids  how  to  gambling."

    Del  laughed.  "O,  yeah.  That'll  really  do  them  a lot  of  good right  now."

    "Well,  if  you  think  of  it  in  a  different  way,  it  gives  the kids  a  chance  to  do  something  and  not  bother  their  parents."

    "True."  Del  moved  his  view  from  the  window  to  Molly  noticing something  around  her  neck  that  he'd  never  seen  before.  "Hey. What's  this?" It  was  a  golden  chain  with  blue  crystal  pendent hanging  off  of  it.   He  picked  it  up  and  twisted  it  round  his fingers. 

    "Stop!"  she  said  pushing  him  away.  "You'll  break  the  chain."

    "Where'd  this  come  from?"

    "This"  she  pointed  to  it  sharply.  "use  to  be  my  dad's necklace.  Before  he  left  on  another  one  of  his  perfect  picture jobs  in  a  warring  country,  he  left  this  to  me.  I  hardly  ever wear  it  outside  of  my  shirt.  I  don't  want  anyone  to  steal  it or  anything.  It  musta  slipped  out  today."  She  stuck  the  necklace back  in  her  shirt.

    "Where'd  your  dad  get  it?  It  looks  kinda  expensive  and  old."

    "He  found  it  Egyptiana.  He  said  it  may  of  belonged  to  a pharaoh  or  just  a  regular  person  who  lost  it.  Either  way,  he said,  it  was  special.  Must  of  been  special  to  the  person  who lost  it,  because  they  chose  it.  So,  it  had  to  be  something special  to  them.  Or  it  could  of  belonged  to  a  pharaoh  who  had to  many  jewels  and  didn't  care  if  he  lost  it  or  not.  My  dad always  thought  forward  like  that.  Thinking  of  every  scenario  that it  could  of  came  from.  That  was  basically  the  only  thing  I remember  about  him.  But  it's  one  of  my  most  treasured  memories."

 

    "How  old  were  you  when  your  dad  died?"

    "Four.  Can  you  imagine  losing  your  father  at  four  years  old?"

    "No  I  can't.  I  never  lost  a  parent  before.  I  actually  have more  then  two  parents  now."

    "You  were  lucky,  Del.  But  I  was  lucky  too.  I  had  my  mom and  Baloo.  But  when  they  were  gone,  I  had  O'Mally  who  use  to keep  me  for  a  couple  of  weeks  during  the  summer  and  visit  a lot.  My  sister  was  a  blessing  at  that  time,  but  she  didn't really  do  the  parenting  at  that  time.  It  was  my  brother,  Kit, who  did  all the  punishing,  and  talking  and  he  was  the  parent those  years.  They  were  good  years  though."

    "Geez…you  have  so  much  history  and  I  have  hardly  any?  I makes  me  feel  like  I've  done  nothing  with  my  life.  But  so  much has  happen  to  you  in  your  seventeen  years.  This  excursion  we're on  here  is  the  first  real  thing  that  has  happen  to  me  in  my twenty  years  of  life."

    "What  are  you  talking  about  Del?  You  said  you've  been  in emergency  rooms  and  you've  watched  surgeries  and  stuff.  You've been  through  a  lot  too."

    "That  stuff  is  nothing.  I'm  surprised  I've  gotten  this  far with  the  sheltered  life  I  had."

*                    *                    *

Everyone  was  asleep  when  nighttime  came  around.  Even though  there were  lights  in  the  train,  they  were  dim  and  hurt  peoples  eyes. It  had  been  a  few  hours  after  the  sun  went  down  that  Molly  was awaken  by  a  sound  near  her  ear.  She  sat  up  suddenly  looking around  in  the  dark.

    "Del.  Wake  up.  I  think  someone's  in  here"  Molly  said  quietly knocking  on  the  bottom  of  the  top  bunk.  Del  stirred  a  little, but  didn't  wake  up.

    In  the  dark,  Molly  saw  a  short  figure  hurrying  to  the  door. That's  when she  felt  something  missing. 

    "Del!  Someone  has  my  necklace!"  she  shouted  waking  him  and Karnage,  who  was  sleeping  soundly  on  the  couch.  The  figure  slam the  door  open,  and  in  an  instant  the  two  men  were  up  chasing the  figure  down  the  narrow  hallway.  They  cornered  the  figure  in an  empty  then  turned  on  the  light  to  see  it  was  a  young  boy cat  about  twelve.  He  had  Molly's  necklace  clinched  in  his  palm. Karnage  advanced  fixing  to  tear  into  the  boy  when  Del  stopped him.

    "I'll  handle  this"  he  said  in  his  serious  voice  closing  the door  with  a  few  complains  from  Karnage  that  he  ignored.  Del walked  up  to  him.  The  boy  was  hovering  near  the  window  looking around  for  an  escape.               

    "Don't  worry  kid.  I'm  not  gonna  do  anything  to  you  unlike  my father  out  there.  My  name's  Del.  What's  yours?"

    "Jake"  the  boy  replied  hesitantly.

    "Well,  Jake,  could  you  answer  a  question  for  me?"  The  boy nodded.  "Why did   you  steal  my  friend's  necklace?"

    "I  need  it  to  get  food  when  I  get  to  Plano  Valley.  I  need money  to  get  the  food  and  this  looked  like  it  was  worth something"  he  said  holding  up  the  necklace.

    "I  tell  you  what.  I'll  make  a  deal  with  you.  I'll  trade  you my  ring  for  my  friend's  necklace.  My  ring  is  worth  a  bundle. The  bad  thing  that'll  come  from  you  not  taking  my  deal  is  that my  friend  will  have  a  lot  of  heartache.  Now,  what  do  you  say?"

    The  boy  thought  for  a  moment  without  saying  a  word.  Then finally  he  handed  over  the  necklace  and  Del  handed   him  his ring.

    "Thank  you"  Jake  said  enthusatly.

    "No,  thank  you,  kid.  Now,  remember  not to  go  showing  that ring  off  to  anyone  before  you  pawn  it.  It's  worth  a  bunch  and lots  of  people  would  want  to  steal  it."

    "I'll  do  that."

    Del  left  the  kid  in  the   compartment  alone.  Molly  and  Karnage was  waiting  outside  with  a  small  crowd  of  people  who  had  been disturbed  by  the  ruckus. 

    "Don't  bother  that kid"  Del  told  his  father  as  he  walked  past him.  "And  Dad"  he  said  turning  back  to  Karnage. "Could  you  stay out  here  for  a  few  minutes"  Without  any  reply  from  Karnage, Del grasped  Molly's  wrist and  went  back  to  their  compartment.  He closed  the  door  behind  them.

    "Del,  did  you  get  my  necklace?"

    "Yes,  I  did."

    He  unfolded  his  hand  to  reveal  the  blue  pendent.  She  looked up  into  his  eyes  with  a  smile. 

    "Thank  you."

    "Anything  for  you."

    He  tenderly  placed  it  back  around  her  neck. 

    "So,  did  the  kid  give  a  fight?"

    "No,  actually  I  made  a  deal  with  him.  He  said  he  stole  your necklace  for  money  to  get  food.  I  felt  sorry  for  the  kid  so  I  traded  my  ring  for  your  necklace."

    "You  what?  You  gave  that  boy  your  graduation  ring!  You  didn't have  to  do  that!"

    "It's  okay.  He  needs  it  more  than  me.  Besides,  it  doesn't matter  if  I  loose  my  ring.  I  have  plenty  of  rings.  But  you're dad's  necklace  is   irreplaceable."

    Molly  touched  Del's  cheek  lightly.  "Del,  you  are  true gentlemen.  Thank  you."  She  kissed  him  on  his  other  cheek.  He became  paralyzed  and  stood  motionless  until  Molly  told  him  to  let Karnage  back  in.

*                      *                     *

    The  train  pulled  up  to  the  station  in  Plano  Valley  after days  of  traveling  along  the  mountain  sides  of  Bago-Shiloh. Everyone piled  out  and  went  their  separete  ways.  Some  going  to  shelters, others  to  relitives , and  some  going  to  Madame  Tybalt's  mansion. Molly,  Del,  and  Karnage  found  themselves  at  her  doorstep  of Madame  Tybalt's  mansion  a  few  hours  later.  Frederick  was  overjoyed to  see  them  except  for  Karnage,  who  he  still  had  a  quarrel with.  They  had  heard  of  the  bombing  of  the  capital  city  and were  worried  about  all  the  civilians  of  the  city.  Madame  Tybalt came  down  the  long  spiral  staircase  to  greeted  them. It  didn't  take  long  to  settle  down  in  the  gigantic  mansion. Many  different  people  were  there,  but  that  didn't  stop  Molly  and Del  from  exploring  the  grounds.  It  was  a  beautiful  setting  with gardens  everywhere  and  many  varitity  of  fountains.  One  tall,  lofty fountain  caught  Molly's  eye  and  she had  to  go  and  walk  on  it.

    "You  watch  out.  You  might  fall  in"  Del  warned.

    Molly  just  continued  to  prance  around  on  it  like  she  was five  again.

    "I'm  not  going  to  fall  in,  Del.  Why   don't  you  come  up  here with  me."

    "No"  he  said  folding  his  arms  leaning  against  the  side  of the  fountain.

    "Why  not?"

    "Because."

    Molly  walked  over  to  him  and  grabbed  his  arm.

    "Come  on,  Del.  Don't  be  such  a  baby."

    Del  let  himself  be  pulled  up  onto  the  fountain  edge  by  her. He  climbed  up  with  Molly  and  stood  up  trying  to  hold  his balance.  It  wasn't  a  thin  edge,  but  he  didn't  feel  like  falling into  the  water.  They'd  have  to  go  all  the  way  back  to  the mansion  which  was  a  long  distance  away.

    "See,  it's  better  up  here.  You  can  see  a  lot  more  up  here anyway."

    Del  wasn't  very  interested  in  looking  at  the  elegant  gardens that  surrounded  them.  He  just  wanted  to  glanced  at  Molly  who  was taking  in  every  bit  of  the  area.

    "I  love  this  place.  I  wish  we  could  stay  here  forever."

    She  wedgled  past  Del,  but  lost  her  balance.  Del  caught  her by  the  hand  pulling  her  back  up  to  him  as  she  held  on to  his shoulder.

    "That  why  I  didn't  want  to  get  on."

    "Okay,  I  see  your  point,  but  I  almost  fell  in  not  you.  It's good  thing  you  did  get  on.  I'd  be  soaked  right  now."

    Del  didn't  hear  her.  He  was  caught  in  the  moment.  She  had her  hands  on  his  shoulders.  He  could  feel  a  shudder  go  down  his spine.  It  was  now  or  never.  He  placed  his  hand  on  her  cheek, bent  down,  and  kissed  her.   He  pulled  away  after  a  few  moments to  see  a  shocked  expression  on  Molly's  face.  A  scary  thought raced  through  his  mind.  Had  he  made  a  mistake? 

    "Del!"  Molly  finally  said.  "What  was  that  for?"

    "I  was  thanking  you"  he  said  knowing  that  he  was  half  lying.

    "Thanking  me  for  what?"

    "For  making  this  the  best  three  weeks  even  though  we  had  a lot  of  bad  things  happen  to  us."

    "Well,  your  welcome"  she  said  jumping  off  the  fountain. 

    "Where  are  you  going?"

    "Back  to  the  house  or  should  I  say  mansion.  Are  you  coming?"

    "Yeah.  I'm  coming."

 

*                 *             *

 

    It  was  past  nine  o'clock  when  Del  walked  into  the  bedroom  he was  sharing  with  his  father.  After  he  caught  up  with  Molly, they  hiked  around  for  a  while  without  speaking  to  each  other then  parted  ways  at  the  entrance  of  the  back  yard.  He  sat  on the  bed  in  the  left  corner  of  the  room,  because  Karnage  had claimed  the  one  next  to  the  window.  Del  jerked  off  his  button down  grayish-brown  shirt,  and  throw  it  onto  a  their  in  the corner. 

    "What  did  that  shirt  do  to  you?"  he  heard  Karnage's  voice  in back  of  him  _trying_  to  made  a  quirk.  Del  turned  his  face  to see  Karnage  sitting  on  the  other  bed. 

    "How  long  have  you  been  there?"

    "Long  enough  to  see  your  irate  entrance.  Then  throwing  your clothes  very  hard  over  there.  Is  something  troubling  you,  son?"

    "Yes,  there  is.  I  was  so  stupid  tonight."

    "Does  this  story  involve  a  certain  bearess?"

    "Yes,  it  does."

    "I  knew  this  was  coming  so.  What  happen?"  he  said  walking toward  Del.

    "Well,  I  kissed  her  and  I  think  I  scared  her  off.  I  mean what  was  I  thinking  kissing  her  when  we've  only  known  each  other for  three  weeks.  I'm  such  an  idiot."  He  buried  his  face  in  his hands.

    "I  do  not  think  one  kiss  is  going  to  ruin  what  you  have  as friends.  But you  have  eyes  for  Molly?"

    "If  your  meaning  I  like  her,  yes.  But  that's  the  problem.  I don't  just  like  her."

    "What?  Did  you  have  a  first  sight  at  love  thing?"

    "Love  at  first  sight,  and…well…I'm  not  sure.  It  just  sorta happened,  but  I  know  I  have  more  then  just  like  feelings  for her."

    "Son,  I  say,  do  what  you  think  is  best.  You  want  her.  Go after  her.  If  you're  not  sure  then…do  what  you  want.  Molly  has a  mind  of  her  own.  No  telling  what she  is  thinking  at  this moment."

 

*                *                  *           

               

    The  week  at  Madame  Tybalt's  mansion  went  by  quickly.  It  was time  to  for  the  trio  to  head  to  the  Usland  embacy  near  by after  they  knew  for  sure  that  it  had  been  captured  yet.  They  once  again  resumbed  their  journey  following  close  to  the  main road. 

    They  had  stopped  to  rest  when  they  knew  they  were  only  a several  yards  from  the  embacy.  Karnage  went  over  to  the  river while  Molly  and  Del  sat  on  the  side  of  the  road  throwing  rocks.

 

    Just  then,  they  heard  a  gun  cock. 

    "Stand"  demanded  a  harsh  voice. 

    Without  looking  back,  Molly  and  Del  stood  slowly. 

    "Turn"  the  voice  demanded  again.

    The  two  turned  slowly  to  face  the  voice. It  was  a  Bago-Nova soldier  with  a  gun  pointed  at  them.  A  rustle  in  the  bushes  made the  soldier  look  away  for  a  second.  Del  took  the  opertunity  to pull  a  pistol  that  Karnage  gave  him  after  the  bomber  out  of  his belt  side.  But  the  soldier  saw  his  action,  and  fired  his  gun. Molly  saw  that  the  soldier  pull  the  triger  and  pushed  Del  out the  way  of  the  incoming  bullet.  The  incident  was  over  in  a matter  of  seconds.  Del  scrambled  to  her  side. 

    The  soldier  was  fixing  to  fire  at  Del,  but  fell  to  the ground  from  a  bullet  to  the  back.  Karnage  had  shot  him  too late.  He  ran  pasted  the  soldier  who  was  bleeding  all  over  the dirt  road,  but  Molly  was  worse  off.  Del  already  begun  to  examine the  wound.      

    "What  happen?"

    Del  didn't  answer.  He  was  franticly  tried  to  stop  the bleeding  from  Molly's  chest. 

    "We   need  to  get  her  to  a  hospital  now!  She's  been  shot near  the  heart.  I  think  a   vein  near  her  heart  has  been  hit. That's  why  she  bleeding  so  heavily.  Where's  my  bag?"

    He  glanced  around  to  see  it  next  to  him. 

    "Here.  Hold  this  on  her  wound."

    Karnage  bent  down  to  hold  the  cloth  on  the  wound.  Del searched  through  his  bag  and  found  what  he  was  looking  for.  A surgical  needle  and  thread. 

    "Take  it  off."

    With  the  removel  of  the  cloth  that  was  now  soaked  with blood,  Del  began  meatball  surgery   sewing  the  vein  that  was  hit closed.  After  he  was  done,  they  carried  her  gently  to  the embacy.    

*                  *                    *

    Del  and  Karnage  got  Molly  to  the  closest  hospital  in  Est Salvora  out  of  the  war  zone.  They  waited  in silence  in  the waiting  room  near  the  surgical  wing.  They  had  tried  to  hijack  a plane,  but  the  pilot  politely  offered  to  fly  them  to  Est Salvora.  Karnage  was  still  embarrassed  about  trying  to  hijack  the plane.  But  he  was  starting  to  shake  the  embarrassment  and  began thinking  of  Del.  For  some  reason,  the  gold  and  treasure  didn't matter  now.  Was  he  changing?  He  didn't  know  himself  anymore.  Then he  thought  of  Molly  and  what  she  had  told  him  in  prison.  You become  your  father  keep  echoing  in  his  mind.  Atleast  Del  wasn't like  his  father,  Karnage  had  thought.   All  Del  could  think  about was  Molly.  He  know  how  serious  her  injury  was. He  wanted  to  help her  more  then  ever,  but  he  couldn't  do  anything.  It  was  too hard  for  him.  The  knots  in  his  stomach  tightened  when  he  thought he  might  loose  her. They  both  looked  up  at  the  same  time  when they  heard  the  door  of  the  surgical  wing  open.  The  doctor  was walking  toward  them.  Del  stood  up  and  walked  up  to  him.

    "How's  she  doing,  doctor?"  he  asked  anxiously.

    "Ms.  Cunningham's  surgery  was  a  success,  Mr…"

    "Lancastor.  The  surgery  went  good?"

    "Are  you  the  one  who  sewed  up  her  artery?"

    "Yes,  sir."

    "You  did  a  good  job.  It  saved  her  life.  I  repaired  her artery  and  she  is  doing  fine."

    "Can  I  go  see  her?  I'm  the  closest  thing  to  a  relative right  now."

    "Yes,  you  can  see  her.  Ms.  Cunningham  is  in  room  212  on  the fourth  floor."

    "Could  you  tell  my  father  the  good  news?  He's  sitting  right down  there."

    "Of  course,  Mr.  Lancastor."

    "Thank  you."  Del  started  walking  to  the  elevator.

    "O,  Mr.  Lancastor,  how  did  you  know  how  to  do  repair  the vein?"

    "Pure  luck."

 

*                   *                       *

 

    Karnage  was  able  to  go  into  Molly's  room.  He  peeked  into  her room.  Molly  was  still  unconscience  and  Del  had  fallen  asleep  in the  chair  next  to  her  bed.  His  son  had  become  someone  he  always wanted  to  be.  He  was  proud  of  Del,  but  he  was  ashamed  of himself.  He  just  couldn't  shake  that  feeling  that  he  could  of done  better,  but  greed  got  in  the  way.  Del  had  become  the person  he  wanted  to  be  deep  inside.  Karnage  couldn't  admit  that though.  Maybe  Del  would  be  better  off  away  from  him.    He glanced  at  his  son  and  the  girl  he  now  cared  for  one  last time.  Then  left.

 

*                   *                  *

 

    Molly  opened  her  eyes.  She  was  disoriented  and  looked  around. She  saw  Del  asleep  in  the  chair  by  her  bed.

    "Del"  she  said  in  a  faint  voice.  She  tried  sitting  up,  but couldn't  move.  "Del."

    Del  raised  his  head  to  see  Molly's  flushed  eyes  staring  back at  him.  "Molly,  your  awake." He  gave  her  a  loose  hug.  "How  do  you  feel?"

    "Awful.   Where  are  we?"

    "We're  at  West  Wing  Medical  Center  in  Est  Salvora.  You  made it  through  five  hours  of  surgery.  The  doctor  had  to  repair  a leaking  artery."

    "How'd  we  make  it  past  the  border?"

    "That's  a  funny  story.  Karnage  tried  to  hijack  a  military plane,  but  they  said  they'd  fly  us  back  into  Usland  territory, because  we  were  Usland  citizens."

    "He  tried  hijack  a  plane?"  Molly  gave  out  a  weak  laugh. "Did you  call  my  mom?"

    "Yes.  She  is  on  her  way  with  your  surrogate  dad."

    "Can't  wait  till  she  gets  here"  Molly  said  sarcastically.   She noticed  Del  was  looking  at  her  in  a  different  way.  "Why  are you  looking  at  me  like  that?"

    "What  way?"

    "The  goofy  way  you're  looking  at  me.  Do  I  look  that  bad?"

    "You  don't  look  bad.  You  look  great.  I  was  just  wondering  if you're  up  for  a  small  conversation.  I  should  of  asked  you  this the  night  we  stayed  at  Mrs.  Tybalt's  mansion.  But  I  was  too scared.  Ya  see,  I  have  a  problem."

    "What's  your  problem?"

    "I  have  a  problem  with  what  happen  on  the  fountain.  That wasn't  only  a  thank  you  kiss.  It  really  meant  something  else. But…I  think  you  took  it  the  wrong  way."

    "Del,  that  kiss  freaked  me  out."

    "Why?  How?"  Del  was  getting  confused  now.  Maybe  it  was  a  bad idea  for  him  to  bring  that  subject  up. 

    "I  didn't  know  what  to  make  of  it.  I  just  got  circled  out of  a  relationship.  I  wasn't  expecting  anyone  as  great  as  you  to like  me."

    "Molly,  I   don't  just  like  you.  When  I  thought  I  was  going to  loose  you,  I  was  panicked.  I  couldn't  loose  you.  To  admit the  truth,  I  love  you."

    "You're  kidding,  right?"

    "No,  I'm  not.  I  want  to  prove  to  you  that  I  do.  I'm  not in  love  with  you  or  I  think  I  love  you  or  I've  fallen  in  love with  you.  Those  words  _in_  and  _think_  and  _fallen_  don't  mean anything.  Their  not  real.  I  _love_  you,  Molly  Cunningham.  And I'll  wait  for  you.  As  long  as  it  takes.  I'd  wait  forever  for you."

    "You're  telling  the  truth.  'Cause… because  you  don't  lie.  I'm dreaming,  right?"

    "Nope.  You  want  me  to  pinch  you  to  make  sure?"

    "No.  I'll  take  your  word  for  it."

    The  room  went  silent  for  a  minute.  Molly  glanced  down.  Del's words  repeated  in  her  mind.   She  didn't  know  what  to  do  now. She  wanted  to  admit  that  she  loved  him.  She  didn't  want  to loose  Del  either.  But,  he  said  he'd  wait  forever  for  her.  And Del  Lancastor  was  a  man  of  his  word  unlike  his  father. 

    "Where's  Karnage?"

    "He  disappeared  after  you  came  out  of  surgery.  He's  been  gone for  two  days  now."

    "I've  been  unconscience  for  two  days  and  mom  hasn't  made  it here  yet?!"

    "Please  forgive  me,  but  I  didn't  call  her  till  this  morning. I  didn't  want  her  to  worry  anymore  then  she  is."

    "Del,  if  you  knew  my  mom,  you'd  know  she  worries  her  head off  over  the  smallest  thing."

    "Sorry.  I'm  so  sorry."

    "It's  okay.  Without  me  around,  she  probably  would  of  jumped down  your  throat  blaming  you  for  everything.  So,  maybe,  it's better  that  I'm  awake."

    "I  hate  to  ask  this,  but  where  does  this  leave  us?"

    "You  want  the  truth?"

    "Of  course."

    "I  love  having  you  has  a  friend.  I'm  afraid  if  we're anything  more,  I'll  loose  your  friendship."

    "How  are  you  going  to  loose  my  friendship?  Just  because  I kiss  you  sometimes  or  hold  your  hand  doesn't  mean  we're  not friends.  The  best  relationships  are  the  ones  with  friendship.  To me,  that's  the  only  one  that  last."

    "I  hate  you,  because  you're  always  right.  But,  I  love  you too."

    Molly  gave  him  a  groggy  grin  and  cupped  Del's  cheek.  He pressed  her  hand  closer  to  his  cheek  then   kissed  it. 

    "Mom's  gonna  freak  when  she  hears  about  us."

 

*                        *                    *

 

    Molly  had  fallen  asleep  and  Del  went  out  in  the  waiting  room to  wait  for  Rebecca  and  Baloo  to  arrive.  He  still  wondered where  his  father  went,  but  he  couldn't  go  after  him  again.  Molly was  more  important.  He  sat  in  the  hard  wooden  chair  in  a  deep thought  of  everything  that  had  happen  in  the  last  three  weeks. Just  then,  he  heard  shouted  from  down  the  hall.  He  looked  up  to see  a  small,  petite  bear  and  a  tall,  large   bear  coming  down toward  him. 

    ~ That  must  be  Molly's  mom.  She  doesn't  look  too  happy. ~

    Del  stood  up  when  they  got  closer.

    "Ms.  Cunningham.  I'm  Del  Lancastor,  Molly's  friend"  he  said putting  his  hand  out  to  shake.  Rebecca  stared  at  him.  Frightened in  a  way. 

    "You're  the  boy  who  was  accompanying  my  daughter?"

    "Yes,  ma'am.  Please  don't  be  intimidated  by  my  appearance.  I know  what  you're  thinking.  But  please  don't  be  frightened.  I'll explain  everything  later.  Molly  is  the  most  important  thing  right now.  She's  in  that  room.  212." 

    Del  pointed  down  a  few  doors. 

    "You're  right.  Molly  is  the  most  important  thing  right  now, but  I  can't  wait  to  hear  her  explanation  for  this."

    Rebecca  walked  off  to  her  daughter's  room.  Baloo  stayed  behind to  let  Rebecca  have  some  alone  time  with  Molly.

    "So,  you  must  be  Baloo?  Molly  told  me  a  whole  lot  about  you and  the  entire  Higher  for  Hire  family."

    "I  know  this  is  probably  not  my  business.  But,  are  you related  to  Don  Karnage  in  anyway?"

    "For  one  thing,  it  is  your  business,  because  you're  apart  of Molly's  family.  And  yes.  Don  Karnage  is  my  biological  father.  But I  never  met  him  till  three  weeks  ago.  I  was  raised  by  my  mom and  step-dad,  Howard  and  Ursula  Lancastor.  I  was  raised  to have the  utmost  respect  for  everyone.  So,  if  you're  thinking  that  I'm like  Karnage,  please  don't.  I'm  not  like  him  at  all."

    "You  sound  honest,  kid.  So,  I  believe  you,  but  I  don't  know if  Becky  would."

    "Well,  Ms.  Cunningham  is  entitled  to  her  opinion,  sir."

    "Whoa,  kid.  Just  call  me  Baloo."

    "Sorry.  We  didn't  have  a  proper  introduction  her.  I'm  Del Lancastor.  It's  short  for  Delancy."

    "I'm  Baloo."  They  shock  hands.  "How's  Molly?"

    "She's  all  right.  She  finally  woke  up.  A  little  while  ago, me  and  her  had  a  lengthy  conversation.  Her  voice  was  low,  but she  wasn't  all  that  sluggish.  She  wasn't  out  of  it  either."

    "What  happened?  You  didn't  go  in  ta  detail  over  the  phone."

    "Me  and  Molly  encountered  a  Bago-Nova  soldier.  I  was  pulling out  my  gun  and  the  soldier  saw  me  doing  that  and  he shot  at me.  Molly  pushed  me  out  the  way  and  she  was  struck  in  the chest.  The  bullet  nicked  a  vein  and  I  had  to  do  meatball surgery  on  her."

    "Meatball  surgery?"

    "Yeah.  It's  when  you  don't  have  any  of  the  right  equipment and…  it's  a  patchup  surgery  before  the  real  surgery.  I  sewed  up the  leaking  vein  and  we  got  her  here.  Where  she  went  through five  hours  of  surgery."

    "How'd  ya  know  how  to  sew  up  a  vein?"

    "My  dad  is  a  doctor  and  I'm  studying  to  be  one  myself."

    "That's  a  good  profession.  How  old  are  ya?"

    "Twenty."

    Baloo  stood  there  looking  down  nervously.

    "Am  I  making  you  nervous,  sir?"

    "No,  kid.  And  I  told  ya  you  don't  have  to  call  me  sir."

    "Sorry  I  do  make  you  nervous.  I  can't  help  who  I  look  like. But  I  have  a  lot  of  people  who  mistake  me  for  him."

    "Where  is  o'Karnie  anyway?"

    "He  stayed  till  after Molly  got  out  of  surgery.  While  I  was sleeping  in  the  chair  next  to  Molly's  bed  waiting  for  her  to wake  up,  he  left  and  I  haven't  seen  him  since."

    "No  tellin'  where  he's  at  now.  Was  he  beenin'  his  old obnoxious  self?"

    "Actually,  he  was  sort  a  agreeable.  I  can't  see  him  killing people  or  anything  like  that,  but  I  know  he's  changed  since Molly  helped  him.  But  what  do  I  know.  I've  only  known  him  for three  weeks.  You've  known  him  a  lot longer."

    "Yep,  no  tellin'  where  he's  at  now."

 

*                        *                        *

 

    Night  crepe  over  the  Lancastor  mansion.  Ursula  Lancastor  sat patiently  in  her  elegant  deep  red  armchair  waiting  for  the  phone to  ring.  Del  hadn't  called  in  two  days.    She  was  angry  at  his actions  for  wanting  to  meet  his  real  father.  She  prayed  he  never would,  but  she  couldn't  keep  her  son  away  from  his  real  father forever.  Footsteps  caught  Ursula's  ear.  She  slowly  turned  to  see a  silulette  by  the  window.

    "Hello,  Ursula"  she  heard  a  familiar  voice  say.

    She  was  fixing  to  scream  when  Karnage  flung  his  hand  over her  mouth.

    "Please  Ursula,  do  not  attempt  to  scream.  There  is  no  reason to  act  like  damsel  in  distress.  You  didn't  the  first  time  we met.  In  a  fact,  you  were  the  one  all  over  me,  yes-no?"

    He  let  go  of  her  and  backed  away  in  terror.

    "What  do  you  want  with  me,   Don?"

    "You  know"  Karnage  said  walking  around  the  elaborate  chamber fiddling  with  the  books  on  the  shelves.  "You  are  very  lucky. You're  the  only  one  I  let  call  me  by  my  first  name."

    "Don't  trail  off  the  question,  Don.  What  do  you  want?  Did you  do  something  with  my  son?"

    "Our  son.  Remember?  I  had  a  little  something  to  do  with  his coming  in  to  the  world."

    "Like  I'd  forget.  Now,  what  do  you  want?"  She  withdrew  behind her  armchair.  Karnage  walked  to  up  her  in  front  of  the  chair.

    "If  you  think  I  am  here  for  your  purposes,  you  are  wrong.  I am  here  to  talk  about  our  son"

    "Is  he  safe?"

    "He  is  very  safe.  Did  he  not  call?"

    "Yes,  he  called  me  from  a  hospital.  He  said  he  couldn't  come home  right  now.  His  friend  was  hurt  badly.  He  said  he  needed to  be  with  her.  That's  my  Del.  Always  trying  to  help."

    "That  is  why  I  have  paid  you  this  visit.  You  did  a  good thing  leaving  me  when  Del  was  born."

    "Like  I  had  a  chose.  You  had  totally  forgotten  about  me  and members  of  your  crew  were  threatening  to  hurt  Del  because  he never  stopped  crying.  I  could  see  why.  I  didn't  want  to  be stuck  on  that  over  sized  bird  too."

    "I  want  to  thank  you  for  raising  him  so  well.  He's  turned out  to  be  a  good  man."

    "Unlike  you.  Jealous?"

    "No.  Just  grateful."

    "That's  a  change.  Where  the  obnoxious,  stubborn,  wanting  to take  over  the  world,  I'm  so  great  Don  Karnage  I  thought  I  once loved?"

    "I  have  changed  in  the  past  year.  When  I  was  captured  and sent  to  the  jail,  one  of  my  enemies  helped  me  figure  out myself.  In  the  process,  I  become  different  person."

    "We'll  see  how  different  you  are"  came  a  voice  from  the door.  A  towering  lion  with  a  fanciful  gray  suit  stood  at  the door. 

    "Howard"  Ursula  said  running  to  her  husband. 

    "Is  this  the  deranged  air  pirate  captain  that  gave  me  my son?" 

    "Yes,  Howard."

    "I  am  the  great,  not  deranged,  air  pirate  captain,  Don Karnage."  Karnage  walked  up  to  Howard  Lancastor.  "Pleasure  to  meet you,  Mr.  Lancastor."

    "I'm  not  pleased  to  met  you.  I  want  you  to  leave  this instant."

    "I  will  not  leave  till  I  say  what  I  came  here  to  say."

    "We  don't  want  to  hear  what  you  have  to  say.  Please,  leave."

    Karnage  griped  his  fist  tight  as  Howard  keep  shooting  him down.

    "Del  has  told  me  so  much  about  you.  He  says  you  were  a great  father.  And  I  trust  my  son.  But  I  would  believe  that  you were  more  civil  then  this."

    "I  don't  take  kindly  to  criminals  that  take  away  my  son."  

    "I'm  taking  Del  away  from  you  and  Ursula.  He  chose  to  meet me.  And  I've  grown  attached  to  my  son.  As  he  has  me."

    "How  do  you  know  he's  become  attached  to  you?"

    "He's  coatzed  me  out  of  Bago-Shiloh.  He  saved  my  life.  He saved  my  friend's  life  when  she  was  shot.  And  I  am  grateful  to him  for  that."

    "That's  our  Del"  Ursula  said.  "He's  always  wanted  to  help everyone  and  anything."

    "I  thank  you  two  for  raising  him  so  well.  I  don't  want  you to  feel  threatened  by  me."

    "Well,  Mr.  Karnage,  we  are  threatened  by  you"  Howard  said pulling  out  a  check  book  and  started  to  write  in  it  "That's  whyI  offer  you  this." 

    He  handed  Karnage  a  check.  His  eyes  all  the  sudden  became huge  at  the  sight  of  the  amount  on  the  check.

    "One  million  dollars!!!!"

    "That  is  yours.  Call  it  a  bribe  to  stay  away  from  our  son _ forever_.  I  know  you'll  take  it  being  the  thieve  you  are."

    Karnage  stood  staring  at  the  check.  His  mind  was  racing  as the  thought  of  having  all  that  money  but  having  a  son.  He didn't  want  to  give  Del  up.  A  twinge  ran  through  his  body  as he  made  his  decision. 

    "I  cannot  take  this.  I  cannot  stay  away  from  Del  forever."

    "Well,  then,  we  have  no  choice,  but  to  call  the  state marshal  and   have  you  hailed  off  to  the  jail  you  were  in."

*               *               *

 

    Molly  woke  to  see  her  mom's  face  staring  at  her. 

    "Mom."

    "Shhh,  honey,  you  need  your  rest."

    "Mom,  I'm  okay."

    "Your  okay!  I  don't  think  so  young  lady.  You  were  almost killed.  And  you  were   with  Don Karnage  and  his  so-called  son.  How could  you  be  with  those  two?  I  can't  believe  that  thing  has  a son!"

    "That  things  son  saved  my  life!  We  owe  him.  Besides,  Del isn't  anything  like  Karnage.  He's  a  good  man.  He  wants  to  help people.  You  can't  see  that.  You  just  met  him.  I've  spent  a month  with  him."

    "That's  what  worried  me  while  you  were  gone.  You  were  with them.  That  boy  could  of…"

    "Mom!  I  don't  need  your  critizme  of  Del  right  now.  You  want me  to  rest  so  give  me  a  rest  from  you  critizing  me.  So, please,  stop."

    Rebecca  sat  back  in  the  chair  she  was  sitting  in.  She  didn't realize  what  she  was  saying  till  Molly  pointed  it  out. 

    "I'm  sorry. Your  right.  I  don't  know  this  Del  whatever  you've been  with  non-stop  for  a  whole  month."

    "He's  a  great  guy,  mom.  I  met  him  less  than  an  hour  after Baloo  dropped  me  off.  We  were  together  almost  every  waking moment.  I  loved  being  with  him  even  through  the  bad  times  of our  _adventure_."

    "What  else?"

    "What  else  what?"

    "You  can't  tell  me  you  spent  a  month  with  this  young  man and  nothing  happened."

    "Through  out  the  whole  thing  Del  was  a  perfect  gentleman  like he  always  is.  He  did  surprise  me  with  a  kiss."

    "I  know  you  can't  tell  me  you  didn't  like  it.  And  that  you two  aren't a…"

    "Okay,  so,  maybe  you  do  know  some  things.  This  morning,  Del told  me  he  loved  me."

    "And  what  did  you  say?"

    "That  I  love  him  too.  I  know  in  a  million  years  I  could never  find  such  a  guy  who  would  be  honest  with  me  and  love me."

    "How  do  you  know  that  Del  won't  do  the same  thing  that  Shawn did  to  you?"

    "Because  I  can  feel  it.  Del  doesn't  lie,  cheat  or  anything. Lets  just  say  that  he's  the  complete  opposite  of  Karnage." 

    Molly  started  to  tell  her  mom  all  that  happened  in  the  month that  she  was  gone.  Rebecca  was  pretty  shocked  at  the  story  of all  that  her  daughter  went  through.

    "I  didn't  realize  how  bad  off  you  were  over  there.  I  wish  I could  of  been  there  to  protect  you  or  something."

    "Mom,  you  couldn't  of  done  anything  for  me  while  I  was there.  You  couldn't  protected  me  from  a  bombing."

    "That  boy,  Del,  really  did  get  your  father's  necklace  back?"

    "Yes,  I  told  you  that.  Do  you  believe  that  he  saved  my life?"

    "Yes,  I  do."

    "Good.  Mom,  Del  went  through  a  lot  too.  I  mean,  his  arm  was wounded  bad  too.  He'd  never  been  through  anything  like  this before.  He's  always  had  a  sheltered  life.  I'm  surprised  he  even made  it.  But  maybe  that's  because  he's  Karnage's  son."

    "So,  you  really  love  him?"

    Molly  looked  her  mom  straight  in the  eye  and  said    bluntly "Yes."  

   

       

*                *                *

 

    Hours  had  gone  by  since  Baloo  and  Rebecca  had  shown  up.  They were  in  Molly's   room.  Del  had  stayed  outside  the  room.  He  knew Molly  needed  to  catch  up  with  her mom  and  surrogate  dad.  He knew  it  would  be  awkward  for  him  to  be  in  there  with  them.  So, he  sat  in the  wooden  chair  alone.  It  was  quiet  in  that  hospital wing.  He  sat there  with  his  elbows  leaning  on  his  legs,  his head  bowed  to  the  floor.  He  was  deep  in  though  when  he  heard footsteps  coming  toward  him.  He  didn't  look  up  thinking  it  was only  a  nurse.  But  the  steps  stopped  in  front  of  him.

    "Are  you  Del?"  he  heard.

    Del  gazed  up. 

    "You  must  be  Kit."

    "Molly  must  of  told  you  about  me  then?"

    "Yes,  she  told  me  a  whole  bunch  about  her  family"  Del  said standing  up.  Kit  had  heard  over  the  phone that  Del  was  Karnage's son.  He  didn't  know  how  he  was  going  to  react  to  this.  But  he was  calm  when  he  saw  Del  and  didn't  feel  a  grug  against  him.   "Del  Lancastor."  Del  held  out  his  hand.  Kit  took  it,  and  the two  men  with  only  five  year  age  different  shock  hands "Kit  Cloudkicker."

    "It's  good  to  meet  you.  I  thought  you  would  of  just  pasted me  up  like  Molly's  mother  did.  Or  you  would  accuse  me  of something  being  the  son  of  your  most  hated  enemy."

    "Sorry  to  disappoint  you,  Del,  but  it's  not  you  fault  that Karnage  is  your  father.  I  don't  hold  anything  against  you.   You saved  Molly's  life,  and  that's  all  that  matters  to  me.  I  thank you  for  that."

    "Your  welcome."  Del  casted  his  eyes  onto  the  floor  for  a moment. 

    "So,  how's  she  doing?"

    "She  doing  all  right.  Her  wound  was  severe,  but  the  doctor said  she'll  be  able  to  leave  in  a  couple  more  days."

    "That's  great."

    "Where's  Molly's  sister  at?"

    "Guinna  will  be  here  soon.  I  was  on  a  cargo  run  in  Barlow when  I  received  the  call  from  Baloo  telling  me  she  was  in  Est Salvora.  I  flow  over  her  as  fast  as  I  could.  Guinna  will  be here  soon.  She  probably  had  to go  rustle  up  Wildcat  and  Thomas O'Mally  to  help  her  with  our  twins."

    "I  can't  wait  to  meet  the  rest  of  her  family.  She  loved talking  about  all  of  you."

    "Well,  that's  Molly  for  ya."

*                  *                 *

    Del  opened  the  heavy  wooden  door  of  Molly's  hospital  room. She  glanced  up  to  see  who  it  was.  A  smile  flashed  across  her face.

    "Hey  you."     

    "Hey  back  at  ya.  How  are  you  feeling?"  Del  asked  walking  in.

    "I'm  feeling  nothing  right  now.  The  doctor  has  me  on  some kind  of  pain  drug  or  whatever."

    "Probably  morphine."  He  sat  down  in  the  chair  next  to  her bed  grabbing  her  hand.  "I  finally  get  you  alone."

    "Finally.  I've  been  overwhelmed  with  my  family.  It  feels strange  to  be  around  of  them  again.  I  never  thought  I'd  forget how  it  felt  to  be  around  them."

    "Yeah,  I  still  haven't  seen  my  parents  yet.  But  I  did however  see  my  astranged  father."

    "Karnage  came  back.  When?"

    "A  couple  hours  ago.  He  went  to  go  see  my  parents.  And you'll  never  guess  what  happen?"

    "What?"

    "My  dad  offered  him  a  million  dollars  to  stay  away  from  me forever."

    "No!  He  did!  Let  me  guess,  Karnage  took  it  and  just  came  to say  bye."

    "Nope.  He  refused  the  money  saying  he  couldn't  stay  away  from me.  I  was  totally  stunned  and  didn't  really  believe  him  until  I call  my  mom.  She  said  it  did  happen."

    "O  my  gosh!  I  can't  imagine  Karnage   doing  that.  Where  is  he right  now?"

    "He's  outside  where  your  family  can't  see  them,  but  I  have some  bad  news  from  my  home  front."

    "What  is  it?"

    "My  parents  are  mad  at  me.  My  dad  almost  made  me  deaf  from shouting  over  the  phone.  He's  not  too  happy  with  me  right  now. After  you  get  out  of  here,  I'm  headin'  back  home  to  settle things  with  them."

    "O,  man,  that  means  we're  going  to  have  to  separate."

    "What  do  you  mean?"

    "That  will  be  the  first time  in  over  a  month  that  we  haven't been  together.  I  don't  know  if  I  could  handle  that."

    "We're  not  going  to  be  away  from  each  other  that  long, Molly.  I'm  coming  to  Cape  Suzette  right  after  the  issue  with  my parents  is  finished.  Like  I'd  want  to  be  away  from  you  for  more then  a  day.  I  promise  I  won't  be  gone  long."

    "It's  okay.  I  understand  that  you  have  to  get  things  straight with  your  parents."

    "I'm  so   glad  your  safe."

    "Without  you,  I  wouldn't  be  here"  Molly  said  leaning  over  to Del  and  kissing  him  for  the  first  time  since  the  night  on  the fountain.

 

*                   *                  *

 

    

    Molly  was  released  from  the  hospital.  It  was  time  to  go home.  Rebecca  had  called  a  cab  while  Del  and  Baloo  helped  her down  to  the  first  floor.  The  cab  was  waiting  for  them. 

    "Bye,  Del.  I  love  you"  a  tearful  Molly  said.

    "I  love  you  too."  Del  gently  embraced  her.  "I'll  call  you when  I  get  back  to  Winger  City."  He  wiped  a  tear  from  her cheek. 

    "You   better"  she  said  with  a  kiss.

    He  helped  her  into  the  cab,  closed  the  door,  and  waved good-bye.  From  the  shadows  of  the  hospital  build,  Karnage  appeared and  stepped  up  to  his  son. 

    "Come,  son,  let's  go  get  your  parents  back"  he  said  putting his  hand  on  Del's  shoulder.              

    

                                          

To  be  continued  on  next  fanfic.....


Return to Kit Cloudkicker Fanfics Page

Return to the Unofficial Kit Cloudkicker Homepage


Special Thanks to 50 Webs for providing space for this webpage. Click here to find out how you can get your free homepage and 60 Megabytes of webspace.