Return to 50 Webs.

Ordinary Life

                by Nina  Adams

Disclaimer: Baloo, Rebecca Cunningham, Don Karnage, Kit Cloudkicker, Molly Cunningham and WildCat are (c)1990/1991 Walt Disney Company and are being used without premission. The writer has made sure that all material represented here is not used for profit and is used with the upmost respect to Disney and the Tale Spin team. All other characters are the property of the writer.

Disclaimer#2: The  characters  of  Scatcat  and  Thomas  O'Mally  are creations  of  the  very  talented  Larry  Clemmons,  Vance  Gerry,  Frank Thomas,  Julias  Svendsen,  Ken  Anderson,  Eric  Cleworth,  Ralph  Wright and  author  of the  book  "Albert  and  Victoria",  David  Duff.  Don't Worry! I  did  not  make  any  money  from  the  use  of  these characters.


Is  ordinary  life  a  joke?
No  one  on  this  blessed  earth  
has  an  ordinary   life
Not  by  the  rules  in  the  sky
Everyone  has  a  right  to  life
But  not  ordinary
Ask  any  person  in  this  world
if  they  had  had  an  ordinary  life
They  will  respond  with  a  yes
But  in  fact  they're  eyes  lie
And  than  you  understand  that  their  ordinary  life
was  all  in  their  mind
 
******

     The  ordinary  life  was  a  joke  for  a  young  bear  cub  named Kit  Cloudkicker.  Eversince  he  was  born,  his  life  was  a  hectic battle  of  secrets  and  lies  and  tragedy.  He  could  write  a  whole tragedy  on  his  life.  A  regular  Bill  Shakespeare  Baloo  said.  But the  trunk  that  was  filled  with  his  parents  most  precious belonging  stared  him  down  everytime  he  passed  it.  It  was  too hard  for  him  to  open  it.  He  was  afraid  of  what  he  might  find, but  was  anxious  at  the  same  time. 

     "Kit,  why  don't  ya  open  the  trunk .  You  could  find  a  whole bunch  a  things  that  could  connect  you  with  your  parents"  Baloo told  Kit.

     Kit  replied  with  a  grim  expression.

     "Come  on  it  won't  hurt."

     "I  just  can't  do  it,  Baloo.  I  might  be  setting  myself  up for  a  disappointment.  No  telling  whats  in  that  trunk."

     "Well,  it's  just  gonna  bother  ya  till  ya  open  it"  Baloo said  walking  out  of  their  room.

     Kit  sat  on  his  bed  for  a  moment  staring  at  the  small  trunk sitting  in  the  corner.  He  didn't  want  to,  but  he  was  finally tempted  to  take  a  peek  inside.  He  closed  the  door  and  walked over  to  the  trunk .  He  placed  it  his  lap  and  carefully  tore  off the  tape  that  was  keeping  it  shut . 

     The  first  item  he  saw  was  a  birth  certificate.  His  birth certificate.

It  read:

 

Kristopher  Payton  Cloudkicker
Son  of   Vincent  and  Sabrina  Cloudkicker
Born  on  March    16,  1925
Weight:  5ibs.  10oz.
Length:  18ins.  
Time:  2:40a.m.

 

"I  know  my  birthday  now  and  it's  coming  up  soon"  he  said  out loud  setting  the  certificate  on  the  floor.  He  pulled  out  the next  item  in  the  box.  It  was  a  fancy  book  with  a  painting  of a  beach  on  the  cover.  Kit  opened  the  book  to  find  it  was  his mother's  diary.  He  flipped  to  the  first  page.

*****

March  16,  1925

 

     This  was  my  present  for  giving  life  today.  What  I  mean  is. I  gave  birth  to  my  first  child.  My  son .  I  named  him  after  my father-  Kristopher  Payton.  He  is  so  beautiful  and  perfect.  I  know he  is  bound  for  greatness  one  day.  With  his  father's intelligence  and  my  creativeness,  he  will  be  someone  special  one day.

 

December  25,  1925

 

     Kit  gave  me  the  best  Christmas  gift.  He  said  his  first word-  Moma.

 

July  4,  1927

 

     We  were  caught.  The  rats  took  Vincent  and  I  haven't  seen him  since.  I  don't  even  know  if  he  is  still  alive.  I  doubt  it though.  The  thought  makes  me  quiver.  Kit  wouldn't  stop  crying last  night.  The  guards  were  angry.  I  didn't  know  what  to  do. 

 

July  9,  1925

 

     They  took  my  precious  baby  away  from  me.  First  Vincent,  now Kit.  I  can't  live  anymore.  Not  without  my  family.  I'll  never  see them  again.  But  I  only  shed  two  tears.  It  is  useless  to  tear anymore.  It  will  not  bring  them  back.  Their  coming  to  take  me next.  I  can  feel  it.  Now,  I  know,  my  life  ends  today.

 

****

     That  was  it.  The  entrees  stopped.  Kit  closed  the  diary.  He couldn't  help  but  shed  tears  for  his  parents.  His  mother's  words were  so  sad.  He  tried  not  to  imagine  him  being  taken  from  his mother's  arms.  He  saw  her  pleading  to  not  to  take  him  away  from her.  He  put  the  diary  down.  A  photo  fell  out.  Kit  picked  it up.  The  old  black  and  white  photo's  edges  were  worn.  The  photo had  a  baby  and  two  adult  bears.  He  turned  it  over.  The  back read:

 

The  Cloudkickers           1927

 

     "This  must  of  been  taken  right  before  they  were  caught"  Kit murmured  to  himself.  "She's  gorgeous.  I  never  imagined  my  mom being  so  pretty."

     Kit  thought  of  the  orphanage.  All  the  kids  there.  There  was so  many  kids.  He  was  only  a  face  in  a  crowd  there.  Tiny  beds as  far  as  the  eye  could  see.  He  didn't  want  to  remember  that. No  telling  where  all  those  kids  were  now.  He  never  made  friends with  any  of  them.  The  care  taker  never  really  learned  their names.  He  was  just  bed  number  27.  Just  another  face  in  a  sea of  misery.

     Kit  crawled  over  to  the  nightstand  that  was  between  his  and Baloo's  beds  and  set  the  picture  up  on  it.  Going  back  to rummaging  though  his  parents  things,  he  picked  up  another  book . It  was  entitled   "Etiology: the  Cause". 

      "Etiology.  Isn't  that  the  study  of  causes?"  Kit  asked himself  placing  the  book  down  on  top  of  his  mother's  diary.  The next  item  was  a  white  baby  romper  with  the  name  Kristopher  "Kit" Cloudkicker  on  the  bid.  Kit  smiled  at  the  thought  of  him running  around  as  a  baby  in  the  little  romper  he  held  in  his paws. 

     The  blueprint  of  Kit's  airfoil  was  the  following  thing  in the  box.  It  was  just  like  Kit  had  pictured  it  in  his  head. That's  how  he  had  made  him  a  new.

     He  pulled  out  an  old  worn  notebook  out  of  the  bow.  It  was tattered  with  the  initials  SGC  in  big  gold  letters.  ~Sabrina Golden  Cloudkicker~  Kit  murmured  in  his  head.  He  opened  the notebook.  Poetry.  Everywhere.  It  was  his  mother's  poetry  book  that she  use  to express  herself  in.

 

The  Gift  of  Life

  Something  happened  today
  It  was  real
  I  felt  it
  It  was  the  gift  of  life  
  that  I  gave
  I  couldn't  explain  the  feeling
  for  it  is  too  great
  The  wonder  of  life  itself  comes  to  mind
  Then  a  river  full  of  feelings
  floods  your  every  being
  That's  when  you  first  see  him
  and  know  that  it  was  worth  it

  

   Kit's  Song

   I  can't  imagine  any  feeling
   Waking  up  without  you  here
   Although  the  sun
   Will  still  shine
   My  whole  world
   Would  be  lost
   But  not  for  long
   If  I  had  to  run
   If  I  had  to  crawl
   If  I  had  to  swim  a  hundred  rivers
   Or  to  climb  a  thousand  walls
   Always  know  that  I  would  find  a  way
   To  get  to  where  you  are
   There's  no  place  that  far

 

  A  Short  Story

  A  short  story
  I  fall  upon  you
  For  you  to  read
  Now  my  gift  is  through

 

 

  The  Last  Day  of  Cessation

  Two
  Four
  Their  at  my  door
  Five
  Six
  They  brought  their  sticks
  Seven  
  Eight
  They  know  my  fate
  Ten
  Eleven
  I'm  off  to  heaven

 

 

     With  that,  Kit  stopped.  His  stomach  felt  sick  and  he  felt like  losing  his  breakfast,  but  tried  keeping  it  in.  He  put  down the  notebook  and  laid  on  his  bed.  He  couldn't  get  the  imagine the  poem  described  out  of  his  head.  He  couldn't  look in  the trunk  anymore.  The  hardship  was  overbearing.  So,  he  locked  the door  and  deplored.

    

     "Has  anyone  seen,  Kit?"  Baloo  asked  a  couple  hours  later.

     "I  haven't  seen  him  today"  Rebecca  replied  taking  off  her glasses  and  setting  them  on  the  desk.

     "I  haven't  seen  him  since  I  woke  up  this  mornin'."

     "Maybe  he's  with  Guinna  and  Molly  outside?"

     "I'll  go  see."

     The  big  bear  went  outside  and  saw  the  two  girls  sitting  on the  dock  giggling,  but  Kit  wasn't  there.

     "Hey,  girls.  Have  ya'll  seen  Kit-boy?"

     "Sorry,  Baloo.  We  haven't  seen  him  all  day.  I  thought  he was  just  running  an  earnin  for  Rebecca."

     "Okay.  Thanks  anyway."

     "Do  you  have  any  idea  where  he  could  be?"

     "No.  I'm  gonna  go  check  the  bedroom.  That's  the  last  place I  saw  em'."

     Baloo  left  the  girls  and  went  to  the  bedroom  upstairs.  He grabbed  for  the  door  knob.

     "Locked.  We  never  lock  our  door.  Kit  has  to  be  in  there. Kit!  Are  you  there?"

     No  answer.

     "Kit  if  your  in  there,  open  up.  It  just  ya  o'buddy  Baloo."

     As  the  big  bear  was  fixing  to  give  up,  he  heard  a  voice come  from  inside.

     "Go  away  please.  I  want  to  be  alone"  Kit  yelled  clinching his  pillow.  Baloo  noticed  a  hint  of  upset  in  his  voice  and realized  Kit  had  opened  the  trunk.

     "Kit,  what's  wrong?  Are  you  all  right?  Open  the  door.  I want  to  come  in."

     "Leave  me  alone!"

     "Kit,  what's  wrong?  Did  you  open  that  trunk?"

     The  door  opened.  Kit's  face  was  tear  soaked.

     "Yeah,  I  did."

     "What'd  ya  find?  It  musta  been  something  pretty  upsetin'  to make  you  cry  like  that."

     "I  read  something  my  mom  wrote  in  her  poetry  book  and  it made  me  sick."

     "Well,  what  was  it,  Lil'  Britches?"  the  large  bear  asked walking  in  the  room.

     "It  was  this"  Kit  said  handing  Baloo  the  notebook  with turning  to  the  last  page.

     Baloo  looked  at  it  then  began  to  read  it.  "The  Last  Day  of Cessation.  Two,  four,  they  at  my  door,  five,  six,  they  brought they  sticks,  seven  eight,  They  know  my  fate,  ten,  eleven,  I'm off  to  heaven."  Baloo  paused.  "I'm  sorry,  Kid.  But  I   really don't  get  this  poetry  thing."

     "Don't  you  see! The  last  day  of  cessation  means  the  last  day of  death!  That  was  the  day  my  mom  was  murdered.  Something  that shouldn't  of  happen.  Why  did  they  kill  my  mom?  Why  did  they kill  my  dad?"  Kit  sobbed  putting  his  face  in  his  paws.

     "I'm  sorry,  Kit."  The  big  bear  put  his  arm  around  the  young cub.  "I  wish  there  was  somethin'  I  could  do,  but  I  can't.  Your parents  have  been  gone  for  eleven  years."

     "I  know,  Baloo.  I  wish  it  wouldn't  of  happen."

     Guinna  and  Becky  walked  in.  They  heard  the  shouting  all  the way  from  downstairs.

     "Kit,  are  you  okay?"  Becky  said  walking  up  to  him.

     "He's  all  right,  Becky.  Just  got  a  little  emotional  from readin'  his  mother's  poetry."

     "O,  Kit.  I'm  sorry.  Is  there  anything  I  could  do?"  Rebecca said.

     "No,  thanks,  Miz  Cunningham."

     "Mommy!  I  got  the  mail!  Looks  like  a  big  box  came."  Molly shouted  from  downstairs.

     "That's  probably  my  new  seat  cushion  for  the  Duck."

     "Let  me  go  check  the  mail.  Baloo  why  don't  you  come  with me."

     "But  Becky."

     "Don't  you  want  to  open  your  package  before  Molly  digs  into it?"

     "Go  on,  Baloo.  I'm  here  for  Kit"  Guinna  said  sitting  down by  him.

     Baloo  and  Becky  went  back  down  stairs.  Baloo's  package  was sitting  on  the  old  chair.  He  walked  over  to  it  and  tore  it open  taking  out  a  red  puffy  seat  cushion.  Becky  went  back  to her  desk  where  Molly  had  set  the  mail  down.  She  flipped  though the  mail  to  a  letter  from  her  parents.

     "O,  look,  my  parents  wrote  me  a  letter.  What  a  surprise" Becky  said  tearing  it  open.  She  read  a  short  letter  from  her mom  then  took  out  another  letter.  It  was  old  and  venerable letter.  She  unfolded  it  and  got  the  shock  of  her  life.

     "What  is  it  Becky?"

     "It's  a  letter  from  my  husband."

     "Your  husband?!  Where  is  the  o'ball'n'chain?"

     "Dead."

     "O,  I'm  sorry,  Becky.  I  didn't  know."

     "That's  all  right.  I  wonder  what  this  is  about."

     She  started  to  read  out  loud.

 

To  my  dearest  Rebecca,

 

     By  the  time  you  read  this,  I  will  be  gone.  The  soldier would  have  caught  me  and  I  would  not  be  able  to  escape.  I  want you  to  know  I  will  always  love  you  and  Molly. 

    I  don't  want  you  to  live  your  life  without  love,  so,  I'm telling  you  now  and  meaning  it,  I  want  you  to  find  someone else.  Don't  mourn  me  for  the  rest  of  your  life  and  die  a lonely  woman . Move  on.

     Tell  my  butterfly  when  she's  old  enough  that  I  apologize  for not  being  there  for  her.  I  hope  she  understands.  I  know  you can  make  it  without  me.  Your  a  strong  woman.

     Good-bye.

                                                                   Always love  you,

 

                                                                          

                      Lucas

 

     "O,  my  goodness.  I  can't  believe.  After  all  these  years, this  comes  now"  Rebecca  gasped  placing  her  fingers  over  her mouth.

     "Two  many  tragedies  happenin'  at  once.  So  how  long  has  it been?"

     Rebecca  let  out  a  sob.

     ~ Baloo, stop  bein'  a  jerk~  "Ah,  you  don't  have  ta  answer that.  Sorry.  I'm  gonna  go  check  on  Kit."

     "Four  years.  Lucas  has  been  dead  for  four  years."

     Baloo  stepped  down  from  the  first  stair  and  sat  back  down in  the  old  red  chair.

     "I  remember  the  day  I  got  the  call.  He's  missing  they  said. Well,  I  didn't  believe  them.  I  knew  Lucas  could  get  out  of anything.  Atleast,  that's  what  I  told  myself.  But  I  know  I  was lying  to  myself.  I  didn't  want  to  admit  it.  I  never  mourned. Not  in  public.  Only  in  my  room.  I  lie  on  my  bed  and  cried  all night."

     Baloo  went  over  to  the  sobbing  woman  and  put  his  arm  around her.

     "It's  okay,  Becky.  Let  all  out."

 

 

     The  next  morning,  everyone  was  slumping.  Kit  had  cry  a  lot that  night  haunted  by  the  imagines  of  his  parents  and  the  photo he  slipped  back  in  his  mother's  diary.  Baloo  had  bags  in  his eyes  from  not  getting  much  sleep.  He  had  tried  all  night  to comfort  Kit. 

     On  the  other  hand,  Becky  skipped  in  cheerful  swinging  her briefcase  and  had  a  big  grin  on  her  lips. 

     "Good  morning,  everyone.  How's  my  favorite  pilot  and  navigator doing  today?"  she  said  setting  her  briefcase  on  her  desk  and walking  into  the  kitchen  with  Guinna  behind  her.

     "Someone's  feelin'  better  today."

     "All  right,  I  guess"  Kit  replied  flipped  his  eggs  with  his fork.

     "Lil'  Britches  was  upset  for  a  while  last  night."

     "Do  you  feel  up  for  school  today,  Kit?"

     "I'm  fine.  Really.  I  just  got  a  little  upset  from  reading my  mom's  poetry  yesterday.  I'm  okay.  I  can  handle  school"  Kit said  standing  up  with  false  confidence.  He  was  having  a  hard time  with  his  recent  discovers  of  who  his  parents  were  and  what their  fate  had  been.  But  he  was  trying  not  to  show  it  today. Most  of  it  had  come  out  the  night  before.  He  looked  at  his watch.  "It's  time  to  get  going.  Guinna."

     "I'm  coming"  the  girl   said  following  Kit  out  the  kitchen.

     "Guinna"  Rebecca  called.

     "Ya  Miss  Cunningham."

     "I  told  you  to  call  me  Rebecca.  Now,  watch  Kit  for  me.  If he  has  any  trouble  in  school  today,  I  want  you  to  call  me  and I'll  came  pick  him  up.  Got  that?"

     "Roger  Rebecca."

     "Thank  you.  Have  a  good  day  at  school  kids."

     "Bye,  Kit.  Bye,  girlie."

     "Bye,  Baloo"  the  kids  said  in  unison  shutting  the  door.

     Rebecca  turned  to  Baloo  who  was  sipping  his  coffee  and reading  the  comics.

     "Baloo,  it's  your  lucky  day.  You  only  have  one  shipment  to New  Fedora  today."

     "That's  great,  Boss-lady.  I  can  get  home  before  Kit  gets back  from  school.  I  sure  hope  he  feels  better."

     "I  hope  so  too.  But  I  was  wondering   if  you  would  go  out with  me  tonight.  You  know,  to  have  some  fun."

     "Go  out.  Like  where?"

     "To  this  new  club  I  heard  so  much  about.  I  think  the  name is  The  Swingin'  Mambo  or  something."

     "Mango.  The  Swingin' Mango.  Why  do  ya  wanna  go  there,  Becky?"

     "I  feel  like  a  want  to  go  have  a  good  time.  I  haven't been  to  anyplace  like  that  since  me  and  my  husband  were  newly weds.  I  guess  I  just  got  an  itch  to  party  or  whatever."

     Baloo  gave  out  a  loud  laugh.  "Party!  You!  Mrs.  Highly Respected  Business  Woman  can  party!"

     "Laugh  all  you  want,  Baloo.  But  I  use  to  party  a  whole lot.  And  I'll  prove  it  to  you  tonight.  Come  by  my  apartment  at seven.  Bring  Kit  so  he  can  stay  and  play  games  or  talk  with Guinna  and  Molly."

     "That's  one  of  my  issues,  Becky.  Is  Kit  gonna  be  all  right? I  have  to  know  before  I  go  anywheres  tonight."

     "Only  if  Kit  is  okay  tonight,  then  we'll  go."

     "You  sound  like  a  totally  different  person  from  yesterday, Beck.  Could  this  sudden  want  to  party  have  anything  to  do  with that   letter  you  got  from  your  husband  yesterday?"

     "No.  Well,  a  little.  That  letter  brought  back  memories  of when  Lucas  was  alive.  I  remembered  I  use  to  have  so  much  fun with  him.  I  know  your  not  even  close  to  being  Lucas,  but  you are  the  only  male  figure  in  my  life  and  your  my  friend.  I  was thinking  maybe  you'd  be  fun  to  be  around,  you  know,  away  from the  work  place."

     "My  answer  is  ya  I'll  go  with  ya  to  the  Swingin'  Mango, but  only  if  Kits  all  right."

     "Thank  you,  Baloo.  Trust  me,  you'll  have  so  much  fun  with me,  you  won't  even  recognize  Rebecca  Cunningham."

 

 

     Kit  was  feeling  better.  He  calm  down  from  his  sorrowful histeria.  He  grabbed  his  new  issue  of  "Fly  Guys"  and  his  mom's book  of  etiology  and  headed  over  to  Rebecca's  place  with  Baloo. They  stepped  in  the  elevator.  Kit  was  wondering  what  was  actually going  on.  Baloo  said  it  was  just  a  meeting  with  a  client,  but Baloo  looked  nervous  to  him.  Twisting  his  pilot  cap  in  his  paws, Baloo  knocked  on  the  door.  Molly  answered  it.

     "Hi  Baloo!  Hi  Kit!  Me  and  Guinna  were  playing  dodge  the bullet.  Come  on  Kit  your  next  to  be  the  target"  Molly  said dragging  Kit  inside.  Guinna  was  caught  sweeping  up  dirt  on  the floor  from  a  plant  that  fell  from  Molly  accidentally  hitting  it.

     "Ah,  Molly,  maybe  we  should  rest  for  a  few  minutes"  Guinna said  desperately  catching  Kit's  eye  pleading  for  him  to  help.

     "Yeah,  short  stuff,  why  don't  me  and  you  play  tail  gunner for  a  while  and  let  Guinna  rest.  Looks  like  you  made  her awfully  tired."

     "Yah"  the  little  bear  shouted  jumping  on  Kit's  back.

     Baloo  walked  over  to  Guinna  who  had  calasped  on  the  sofa.

     "Hey,  girlie,  is  Becky  ready  yet?"

     "I  hope  she  is  now.  When  Molly  knocked  over  that  plant,  I thought  we  were  never  coming  out  of  our  rooms,  but  it's  like Rebecca  didn't  even  hear  it  fall."

     Just  then,  Rebecca  walked  in  wearing  a  short  blue  courteous dress  with  spaghetti  straps.  Her  hair  was  pulled  up  into  a  tight braid.  She  said  they  wouldn't  recognize  her  and  she  was  right. All  the  bears  eyes  grow  big  when  she  pranced  in  purse  in  hand.

     "Wow,  Miz  Cunningham,  you  look  great!"

     "Why  thank  you  Kit.  Now  Guinna,  your  in  charge  of  the  place tonight.  Make  sure  Molly  is…"

     "In  bed  by  eight  and  that  we  do  not  do  anything  foolish like  open  the  door  for  strangers.  Yes,  Rebecca,  I  know.  I've lived  here  for  a  month  ya  know."

     "Good  girl.  And  here's  some  money  for  you  kids  to  go  get an  ice  cream  or  something"  Rebecca  said  pulling  out  five  dollars from  her  purse.

     "That's  okay,  Miz  Cunningham,  I'll  pay  for  the  ice  cream. Besides  tonight  is  kinda  a  half  date  for  me  and  GG."

     "If  you  say  so  Kit,  but  here's  the  money  just  incase."  She set  the  money  on  the  table  by  the  door.  "Well,  Baloo,  lets  get going,  before  it  gets  too  late."

     "Okay,  Becky."

     "You  kids  be  good."

     "Bye  Miz  Cunningham.  Bye  Baloo."

     "Have  a  good  time!"

     The  two  cubs  closed  the  door  than  let  out  a  big  yes!  But that  was  spoiled  by  the  remembrance  of  Molly  behind  them . 

     "What  are  you  guys  yesing  about?"  the  little  girl  asked cocking  her  head.

     "Nothing,  short  stuff,  we're  just  happy  that  we  get  to  spend the  time  together."

     "Naw-uh . You  two  don't  want  to  be  around  me."

     "What  do  you  mean,  Molly?"

     "You  can't  wait  till  I  have  to  go  to  bed  so  ya'll  can make  out."

     "Well,  button-nose,  your  half  right.  Has  much  as  me  and  GG want  to  make  out,  we'd  rather  spend  time  with  you."

     "Ya,  Molly.  Your  more  important  then  what  we  want  to  do."

     The  cubs  loved  their  little  "sister",  but  she  was  a  handful and  you  could  get  tired  quickly  being  with  her.  It  was  true  the cubs  wanted  some  alone  time.  Eversince  whole  ordeal  with  the blueprints  and  all,  they  hadn't  had  much  time  to  hang  around each  other.  Guinna  grabbed  the  keys  to  the  apartment  and  they headed  out  to  the  ice  cream  shop  down  the  street.

 

     Baloo  and  Rebecca  stepped  out  of  the  yellow  cab  to  a  sea of  flashing  red  and  orange  lights.  Loud  big  band  music  could  be heard  all  the  way  down  the  street.  Dozens  of  people  of  all shapes  and  sizes  were  crowding  into  the  Swingin'  Mango. 

     "Wow!  This  place  is  really  swingin'."  Baloo  exclaimed wide-eyed.

     "Yeah,  this  place  is  busy"  Rebecca  uttered  paying  the  cab driver.

     "Ya  know,  if  ya  don't  want  ta  go  through  with  this  we  can go  home."

     "Nonsense!  I  want  to  do  this"  she  said  pulling  Baloo  along.

     They  joined  in the  crowd  of  people  walking  into  the  place. The  crowd  was  even  bigger  inside.  A  big  band  was  playing  swing music  in  the  corner  and  couples  were  fast  dancing  on  the  dance floor.  Bright  lights  shined  on  the  walls  and  waiters  were hustling  around  carrying  drinks  and  delicious  looking  food  to tables.

     "Lets  grab  a  table"  Baloo  said  ushering  Rebecca  up  a  very short  flight  of  stairs  that  looked  over  the  dance  floor.  They sat  at  the  first  table  at  the  top  of  the  stairs.  Baloo  trying to  be  polite  pulled  out  Rebecca's  chair  and  pushed  her  to  the table.

     "Thank  you,  Baloo."

     "Welcome,  Becky."  Baloo  sat  down  across  from  her.  "So, whatcha  gonna  order?"

     Rebecca  opened  the  menu.

     "The  chicken  fettacheni  sounds  good.  What  do  you  want?"

     "That  cheeseburger  looks  good"  Baloo  replied  watching  a  waiter pass  with  a  cheeseburger  on  his  tray.

     "Well,  then  order  that.  Everything's  on  me."

     "You  don't  have  ta  do  that  Becky."

     "I  invited  you  out  tonight.  And  besides  I  want  to  pay."

     "Your  the  boss,  Boss-lady."

     A  tall  skinny  stork  with  black  pants  and  a  white  tuxedo shirt  stepped  up  to  the  table.

     "Hello,  folks,  my  names  Buster.  What  can  I  serve  to  get  you tonight?"

     "I  want  the  biggest  cheeseburger  you  got  with  fries  and  a large  soda"  Baloo  spoke  up.

     "Okay.  And  how  'bout  you  pretty  lady?"

     "O,  well,  I  want  the  chicken  fettacheni  and  a  cup  of coffee."

     "All  righty  than.  You  kids  feel  free  to  take  a  swing  on the  dance  floor  while  your  waitin'  for  the  grub."

     "Thank  you."

     "Okay,  all  you  crazy  cats  out  there.  That  little  jam  was called  "Hoppin'  Till  the  Sun  Came  Up"."  A  black  cat  with  a white  belly  said  and  a  red  bowtie  and  black  top  hat  on .  "Now, I  would  like  ta  take  this  time  to  introduce  myself.  I  am Scatcat  Crothers."

     "Scatcat!"  Baloo  shouted  turning  his  attention  to  the  dance floor.

     "And  this  is  my  band  The  Crazy  Spinners.  I  am  the  leader of  this  here  band.  I  play  lead  trumpet.  This  here  is  Sully Tarabone  on  the  saxs.  That  there  is  Humphrey  Fitzsgerald  on  the trombone.  Right  there  playin'  the  string  bass  Thomas  O'Mally  And that  back  there  is  Bobby  Bratt  on  the  drums.  I  know  whatcha thinkin.  Ya  probably  sayin'  shut  up  Scatcat  and  play  some  of that  fine  music.  Well,  I  agree  witcha  too.  I'd  rather  hear  my trumpet  than  hear  myself  talk.  So,  this  next  diddly  is  called "Rock-Along-Little-Chick".  Here  it  is.  A  one,  two,  one  two,  three, four."

     The  band  started  playing  their  next  song. 

     "Hey,  Becky.  I  know  those  guys. We  were  old  high  school buddies.  Man,  I  remember  Scatcat  always  wanted  ta  have  his  own band."

     Scatcat  hit  a  high  note  with  his  trumpet.

     "Man,  he  sure  can  play."

     "Why  don't  you  go  say  hi  when  he  finishes  playing."

     "I  got  a  better  idea.  Come  on"  he  said  grabbing  Rebecca's hand.  They  ran  out  to  the  dance  floor  and  Baloo  started  to  jig. Rebecca  joined  in  with  a  slit  smile  on  her  face.  The  music stopped.

     "All  right!  Fine  dancin'  all  you  swingin'  cats  on  the  floor" Scatcat  said  catching  Baloo's  eye.  "Okay  this  next  ones  called "The  Beat" ."He  turned  to  his  trombone  player.  "Hey  Thomas.  Look  over  there isn't  that  o'Baloo  from  school?"

     "Yeah.  Scatcat.  That's  him.  Let  go  give  him  a  yell"  the orange  cat  said.

     "Hey,  Sully.  Play  a  solo,  K."

     "Okay,  Scatcat"  the  green  frog  replied.

     "Change  of  plans  people.  My  talented  sax  players  gonna  play his  own  little  diddly.  Enjoy."

     Scatcat  and  Thomas  O'Mally  jumped  off  the  stage  and  headed over  to  Baloo  and  Rebecca  standing  by  the  wall.

     "Hey,  hey  Baloo  I  thought  that  was  you"  Scatcat  said  putting up  his  paws  for  a  hug.

     "Hey,  Scatcat.  How's  it  been  man?"

     "Great,  Baloo,  just  happenin'.  Do  you  remember  Thomas O'Mally?"

     "Course  I  do.  Hey  Tom"  Baloo  greeted  hugging  him.

     "Hey,  Baloo.  What's  swingin'  in  your  neck  of  the  woods lately?"

     "Well,  in  the  past  year  a  whole  lot.  Guys,  almost  forgot, This  is  my  boss  Reebecca  Cunningham."

     "Hello,  little  lady"  Scatcat  said  kissing  Rebecca's  hand.

     "Pleasure  to  met  your  aquantaince"  Thomas    said  doing  the same  thing.

     "Thank  you  it's  a  pleasure  to  meet  you  too"  she  said blushing.

     "Me,  Thomas,  and  Scatcat  was  the  first  in  our  school  ta make  a  swing  beat."

     "Yeah,  me  and  Thomas  would  play  our  tunes  and  Baloo  would rate  it  by  how  much  he  jigged."

     "If  he  didn't  stop  jiggin',  that  meant  the  tune  was  bonzer."

     Rebecca  laughed.  "The  big  galoot  still  jigs  no  matter  if  the music  is  on  or  not."

     "Hey!  I'm  right  here  guys.  You  know  I  can  hear  ya'll."

     "O,  Baloo.  We're  just  tellin'  ya  boss what  her…  what  do  ya do?"

     "I'm  a  pilot.  I  ship  cargo  all  over  the  world."

     "Yeah  don't  say.  You  always  wanted  ta  fly.  I  remember  you always  talking  'bout  getting  your  own  plane.  Did  that  happen?" Thomas  asked.

     "Yeah,  it  did,  but  I  lost  it.  Now  it  belongs  to  o'Becky here."

     "Is  the  cargo  business  good  money?"

     "Sometimes.  Sometimes  not.  Especially  when  Becky  gets  one  of her  hair-brained  make  money  quick  schemes."

     "Baloo!"

     "Face  the  hard  facts.  It's  true  Becky."

     "Miz  Cunningham,  would  you  like  ta  dance  and  let  these  two o'bags  reminisce?"

     "Sure,  Mr.  O'Mally.  I'd  love  to."

     Rebecca  took  his  paw  and  they  went  out  on  the  dance  floor.

    

 

     Meanwhile  at  Rebecca's  apartment,  Kit and  Guinna  were  having the  most  torture  of  their  lives.  Molly  had  caused  a  riot  at  the ice  cream  shop,  she  refused  to  take  a  bath,  and  now  she  didn't want  to  go  to  bed.

     "Molly,  please.  What  will  make  you  go  to  bed?  I'll  do anything"  Guinna  pleaded.

     "The  only  thing  that  will  get  me  in  bed  is  if  Kit  reads me  "Grace  and  the  Gorilla".

     "All  right.  Kit!"

     "Yes,  babe"  Kit  said  running  in  the  room.

     "Read  her  this"  Guinna  said  tossing  him  the  book.

     "Don't  worry,  Molly  is  as  good  as  asleep.  Then  we  can  have time  to  relax  and  listen  to  some  of  Miz  Cunningham's  records."

     "We'll  see  if  that  really  happens."

     Kit  sat  next  to  Molly  in  her  bed.  "Okay,  kiddo,  I  hope this  puts  you  ta  sleep."

     "Just  read  the  story  and  we'll  see  what  happens."

    

     "…And  Grace  and  the  gorilla  lived  happily  ever  after"  Kit finished  looking  down  at  Molly  sound  a  sleep. ~ Good.  She's finally  asleep~. Kit  pulled  the  covers  over  Molly  and  tip-toed  out  the  room.  He closed  the  door  and  went  into  the  livingroom. 

     "I  finally  got  Mol…"  Kit  stopped.  Guinna  was  asleep  on  the couch. Kit  smiled ~ Awe.  I  guess  Molly  tired  her  out  too  much ~ He sat  on  the  couch  next  to  her  and  propped  her  head  on  his lap.

     "Kit"  Guinna  murmured  still  asleep.

     "It's  okay,  babe.  Go  back  to  sleep."

     By  then,  she  was  already  fast  asleep.

 

     Baloo  and  Rebecca  walked  along  the  street  toward  her apartment. 

     "So,  you  had  a  good  time?"  Baloo  asked.

     "Yeah.  I  had  a  great  time."

     "You  and  O'Mally  got  along  great.  You  two  was  tearing  the dance  floor  up."

     "He  was  a  really  fun  guy.  He  reminded  me  kinda  of  you.  You two  kind  of  have  the  same  voice.  But  he  was  more  of  a gentleman."

     "Gentleman!  Ha!  O'Mally  was  no  where  close  ta  that  in school."

     "People  can  change  after  many  years,  Baloo.  Maybe  Thomas found  a  better  attitude."

     "In  school,  he  use  ta  be  a  big  talker,  but  he  never  did try  and  do  what  he  was  talkin'  'bout.  I  think  he  was  kinda chicken.  But  what  is  it  with  you  sayin'  people  change  over  the years.  Have  ya  even  noticed  that  you've  changed  Reebecca?"

     "I  have!  I  must  not  have  noticed  it."

     "I  never  seen  you  have  so  much  fun  in  the  two  years  we've known  each  other.  Was  this  night  all  'bout  that  letter  ya  got from  your  husband?"

     "No.  Well,  kinda.  O,  I  don't  know.  The  letter  brought  back so  many  memories  of  when  me  and  Lucas  going  out.  I  guess  I  did kinda  have  a  problem  thinking  that  I  had  a  commitment  to  Lucas forever.  I  will  always  love  him,  but  I  didn't  want  to  end  up  a lonely  old  woman."

     "O,  Becky.  Your  never  gonna  be  alone  not  with  all  your friends  here  for  ya."

     "Thanks,  Baloo."

     "So,  what  did  your  husband  do  that  would  put  his  life  in danger?"

     "Lucas  was  a  photographer.  He  would  go  to  danger  zones  where fighting  was  and  take  pictures  of  what  went  on.  He  didn't  have to  go  very  offend,  but  when  he  did,  I  would  pray  that  nothing happen  to  him.  I  guess,  I  didn't  pray  hard  enough .  But  I didn't  blame  anyone  for  his  death.  He  loved  his  job.  I  couldn't stop  him  from  doing  it.  He  was  home  most  of  the  time  taking family  pictures  and  stuff."

     "He  musta  been  a  brave  guy."

     "He  was  very  brave  and  couragest  and  he  loved  an  adventure."

     "Sounds  like  my  kinda  guy."

     "He  probably  would  of  liked  you  too."

     "So,  how's  you  and  Guinna  been  gettin'  along?"

     "Great.  She  is  such  a  good  girl.  Her  and  Kit  are  perfect for  each  other.  Me  and  her  have  been  talking  about  me  adopting her."

     "Really!  Wow.  She  deserves  it.  Kit  and  me  have  never  really talked  ya  know  about  adoption."

     "Maybe  he's  kinda  afraid  to  ask."

     "I  don't  know.  Maybe  he  is,  but  he  shouldn't  be."

     "Baloo,  he's  only  a  child.  He  won't  just  ask  you  to  adopt him.  You  should  ask  him."

     "Maybe  I  should." 

 

     Kit  stepped  down  the  stairs  slowly  still  tired  from Molly-sitting  last  night.  He  treaded  into  the  kitchen  to  see Baloo  wide  wake  flipping  flapjacks. 

     "Mornin'  Lil'  Britches"  he  greeted  flipping  a  flapjack  onto  a plate.

     "Hi  Baloo"  Kit  said  sluggishly  plopping  down  on  a  chair.

     "Molly  made  ya  tired,  huh?"

     "Yeah.  Me  and  Guinna  are  the  match  for  her.  She  protested at  the  ice  cream  shop  that  they  didn't  have  her  favorite  Moecah double  fudge.  When  we  got  back,  she  didn't  want  to  go  to  sleep. So,  I  had  to  read  her  a  story.  She  finally  fell  asleep,  but so  did  Guinna  on  the  couch.  We  didn't  get  to  spend  any  us  time together."

     "O,  don't  worry,  kiddo.  You'll  have  plenty  of  time  ta  spend with  Guinna.  You  knew  what    you  were  gettin'  into  when  ya'll baby-sit  Molly."

     "Yeah.  I  shouldn't  of  been  so  naïve.  Baloo,  last  night,  you and  Miz  Cunningham  weren't  really  going  to  meet  a  client  were ya'll?"

     "No,  Kit,  we  weren't.  Becky  got  a  letter  from  her  late husband  and  it  mustof  upset  her  pretty  bad,  but  then  she  comes around  and  asked  me  to  escort  her  to  that  new  club  The  Swingin'Mango."

     "Was  it  a…a"  Kit  paused.  "A  date."  Kit  swallowed  hard.

     "O,  no,  no,  no.  Wasn't  even  close  ta  one.  But  while  we were  there,  we  ran  into  two  of  my  old  high  school  buddies. Becky  kinda  warmed  up  ta  one  of  em'."

     They  heard  the  door  open  and  Baloo  stopped  talking.

     "Hello  everyone"  Rebecca  said  flamboyantly.

     "Mornin'  Becky.  Hey  girlie."

     "Hi  Miz  Cunningham.  Hi  babe."

     "Kit,  come  here"  Guinna  said  gesturing  to  Kit.

     He  followed  her  into  the  office.  She  grasped  his  paws lovingly.

     "I'm  sorry  I  fell  asleep  last  night.  I  know  you  were looking  forward  to  cuddling  on  the  couch  while  listening  to romantic  music."

     "GG,  I  understand  you  were  tired.  I  was  tired  too. We'll  do that  soon."

     "What  are  you  so  happy  'bout?"  Baloo  asked.

     "I  had  a  great  time  last  night."

     "Dancin'  with  O'Mally  has  gotten  you  all  starry-eyes  and stuff,  huh?"

     "No,  it  hasn't.  I  admit  that  I  like  him,  but  not  that much."

     "Tell  me  another,  Becky"  Baloo  said  folding  his  arms.

     Just  then,  the  phone  rang.

     "Higher  for  Hire,  how  my  we  help  you?"  Guinna  answered.

     "Yeah,  is  Rebecca  there?"

     "Yes,  she  is.  Rebecca  phone  for  you."

     "Thank  you,  Guinna"  Rebecca  said  taking  the  phone.  "Hello."

     "Hey,  Rebecca.  It's  O'Mally."

     "Hi  Thomas." 

     Baloo  jumped  up  and  walked  into  the  office. 

     "What  can  I  do  for  you?"

     "I  was  wondering  if  you  would  like  to  go  out  tonight."

     "I  would  love  to  go  out  with  you."

     "All  right.  I'll  pick  you  up  at  seven."

     "Okay.  See  you  then.  Bye."

     She  hung  up  the  phone  with  a  small  grin  on  her  face.

     "I  know  it!"  Baloo  yelled.

     "Who's  Thomas?"  Guinna  asked.

     "Baloo.  Were  just  going  as  friends.  Nothing  more."

     "Who's  Thomas?"  Guinna  asked  again  getting  ignored  the  first time.

     "It's  one  of  Baloo's  old  high  school  friends"  Kit  answered her.

     "O!"

     "No,  your  not,  Becky."

     "Yes  we  are.  Now  drop  the  subject.  You  have  a  delivery  in San  Flamingo.  It  has  to  be  there  by  afternoon.  So,  you  better get  going,  Baloo.  And  kids,  you  better  get  going  to  school."

     "I  still  have  to  get  dressed  and  eat  breakfast."

     "Well,  I'd  suggest  you  hurry  than  Kit."

     "Go  ahead,  Kit.  I'll  wait  for  you  outside."

     Kit  ran  upstairs  to  get  dressed  and  Guinna  walked  outside leaving  Rebecca  and  Baloo  alone.

     "So,  Becky,  you  can  tell  me  now."

     Rebecca  glared  up  from  the  paper  work  she  was  going  over.

     "There's  nothing  to  tell  you,  Baloo."

     "Ya  know  what  O'Mally's  nickname  was  in  school."

     "What?"

     "Thomas  O'Mally  the  ally  cat."

     "Why  was  he  called  that?"

     " 'Cause  he  was  from  the  ally.  He  was  really  poor.  Never had  much  money  ta  buy  food  so  he  use  ta  eat  out  of  the garbage.  I  remember  at  school  he  use  ta  go  back  fer  seconds  and try  ta  get  us  ta  give  him  our  food.  I  use  ta  feel  sorry  for em'. I  guess  now  he's  doing  good  with  the  success  of  the  band and  all."

     "That's  so  sad."

     "Ya  it  was.  But  don't  tell  him  I  told  you  that."

 

     Kit  ran  back  down  the  stairs,  into  the  kitchen  grabbing  his flapjacks,  and  out  the  door.

     "Bye,  Miz  Cunningham!"

     "Bye  Kit."

     "Ya  ready?"  Guinna  asked  standing  up  on  the  dock.

     "Yeah.  I  just  gotta  ask  Baloo  somethin'."

     Baloo  was  loading  the  cargo  onto  the  sea  plane.

     "Hey,  Baloo."

     "Yeah,  Lil'  Britches"  he  grunted  setting  down  a  crate.

     "I  found  an  address  book  in  my  parents  trunk  and  I  was wondering  if  we  could  go  to  those  placing.  I  would  like  ta  try and  get  more  information  about  my  parents."

     "Where  were  they  stationed  at?"

     "In  Tropicana ."

     "That's  only  four  hours  from  here.  I  guess  if  the  weekends open  we  could  go."

     "All  right!  Thanks  Baloo.  Bye."

     "Bye  Baloo."

     "See  ya  later  kids."

     The  two  cubs  walked  off  hand  in  hand  down  the  street  to school.

     "Ya  know  what?"

     "What?"

     "Rebecca  has  offered  to  adopted  me."

     "That's  great,  GG.  You  deserve  it"  Kit  said  with  a  faint smile.

     She  glanced  over  at  Kit  with  pity  hearing  the  sadness  in his  voice.

     "You  deserve  to  be  adopted  as  much  as  I  do.  Has  Baloo  ever asked?"

     "No.  I  don't  know  if  wants  too  anyway."

     "He  loves  you  more  than  anything,  Kit.  He's  probably  just scared  to  asked  because  he  thinks  you  might  say  no  and  he doesn't  want  to  be  rejected."

     "Well,  I  wouldn't  say  no.  I  would  love  it  if  Baloo  was  my father."

      

    

     O'Mally  knocked  on  Rebecca's  door  holding  a  bouquet  of flowers.  Rebecca  answered  the  door  with  a  red  one  stripe  flowing dress  on  that  stop  alittle  pasted  the  knee.

     "Hi,  Thomas."

     "Evening  Rebecca.  Theses  are  for  you." 

     "Thank  you."

     "You  look  beautiful."

     "Come  in.  I  want  you  to  my  daughters."

     O'Mally  walked  in  Rebecca  closing  the  door  behind  him.  Molly and  Guinna  were  playing  cards  on  the  floor.

     "This  is  my  daughter,  Molly."

     "Hi  Molly."

     "Hi"  Molly  greeted  going  back  to  playing  cards.

     "And  this  is  my  soon  to  be  daughter,  Guinna."

     "Soon  to  be?"

     "Yeah,  Rebecca  is  gonna  adopted  me."

     "Well,  that's  just  good  for  ya.  Rebecca  must  be  a  really kind."

     "Yeah,  she  is."

     "You  ready  to  go,  Thomas?"

     "Ready  as  ever."

     "So,  boss-lady.  How  was  your  date  with  O'Mally  the  ally cat?"

     "It  was  good,  but  it  wasn't  a  date.  Remember  just  two friends  going  out  to  have  fun .  It's  just  like  you  and  me  going out."

     "I  still  don't  believe  you."

     "Do  you  like  your  job?"

     "Of  course  I  do."

     "Either  believe  me  or  go  look  for  another  job."

     "Okay.  Ya  spoke  ya  point."

     "Did  you  come  in  here  to  bug  me  or  what?"

      "I  have  a  question.  Ya  see  Kit  found  an  address  book  in his  parents  trunk  and  wanted  to  go  to  some  of  those  addresses to  maybe  get  more  information  about  them ."

     "Where  are  these  addressed  located?"

     "On  a  little  island  four  hours  from  here  called  Tropicana. I've  been  there  before  and  it's  a  beautiful  place,  but  very small."

     "You  can  go.  Make  a  weekend  of  it.  You  and  Kit  could  bond more.  You  could  ask  him  about  the  adoption."

     "I  don't  think  I  should  ask  him  on  a  trip  going  to  his parents  old  stomping  ground."

     "Atleast  try."

     "Okay.  I  might."

  

     "Ready  to  go,  Papa  Bear"  Kit  shouted  buckling  into  the  seat.

     "Comin'  Lil'  Britches"  Baloo  said  walking  into  the  cockpit  of the  plane.

     Baloo  smoothly  glided  the  plane.  They  were  half  way  to Tropicana  by  now  and  the  question  of  adoption  lingered  in  Baloo's mind.  He  tried  asking  it  several  times,  but  switched  to  another subject.  Finally  he  got  up  the  courage.  Kit  was  glaring  out  the window  at  the  water  with  the  map  still  in  his  lap.

     "Hey,  Lil'  Britches,  you  excited  about  going  to  your  parents old  home  town?"

     "Yeah,  Baloo.  But  I'm  a  little  nervous.  What  if  anyone  in this  address  book  isn't  there  anymore?"

     "They  will  be.  Don't  worry."  Baloo  paused  for  a  second. "Say,  Kit,  did  your  girl  tell  ya  o'Becky  was  adoption'  her?"

     "Yeah,  Guinna  told  me  on  Friday.  I'm  happy  for"  Kit  said with  a  feeble  smile.

     "Do  ya  ever  want  to  be  adopted  yourself?  Ya  know,  by  me  or whatever."

     "You  would  adopt  me?"

     "Of  course,  I  would.  I  love  ya,  kiddo.  You're  my  best buddy.  Ya  know  that."

     "Well,  can  I  think  about  it?"

     "Take  as  much  time  as  you  need."

     Kit  was  totally  shocked  that  Baloo  asked.  On  the  outside,  he was  staring  out  the  window  again  with  a  bigger  smile,  but  on the  inside,  he  wanted  to  jump  for  joy.  I  had  to  wait  he thought.  Gotta  see  what  I  find  first. 

 

     The  two  bears  landed  the  Sea  Duck  and  walked  around  the airfield.  Not very  many  people  were  around.  Just  a  few  people walking  on  the  airfield  area.  The  grass  was  grown  up  around  old planes  that  sat  near  the  edge  of  the  field.

     "Man,  this  place  has  changed  since  I've  been  here.  I  use  ta do  business  here  years  ago.  I  guess  they  let  this  place  go" Baloo  said.

     "This  was  the  airfield  my  parents  would  use.  Guinna's  mom probably  use  to  keep  her  plane  her.  I  wonder  why  we  never  have delivered  cargo  here?"

     "Take  a  look  around,  kid.  This  place  is  a  dump."

     "Yeah.  I  guess  you're  right."

     "Now,  where  is  the  first  place  you  want  to  try?"

     "This  sounds  good.  Hattie's  Flower  Shop.  64  red  grave  St."

     "Lets  grab  a  cab  and  go."

     The  yellow  cab  stopped  in  front  of  a  small  flower  shop  on a  street  corner.  Baloo  and  Kit  got  out  and  walked  up  to  the door.  Kit  pushed  it  and  the  door  hit  a  bell.  A  short  old  skunk with  glasses  came  out  the  back.

     "Hello  folks.  How  may  I  suit  your  flower  needs?"

     "Ah,  we're  not  here  for  flowers,  ma'am .  I  wanted  to  know if  you  ever  knew  these  two  people?"  Kit  said  pulling  out  picture that  had  slipped  out  his  mother's  diary.

     The  skunk  took  a  gander  at  the  picture  than  laughed.

     "O,  my  goodness.  That  is  Vincent.  I  taught  him  in  1st grade.  Before  I  opened  this  flower  shop.  Everyday  he  would  come in  and  buy  a  single  pink  rose  for  his  wife.  What  was  her  name? O,  yes,  he  use  to  call  her  Goldie.  He  would  come  in  and  say 'Goldie  needs  her  inspiration  again'.  I  don't  think  she  did.  He was  just  being  a  loving  husband.  O,  dear,  I'm  rattling  on.  Sorry 'bout  that.  Not  very  many  people  come  in  anymore.  How  do  you know  Vincent?"

     "He  was  my  father."

     "O,  my  goodness!  Your  the  baby.  He  use  to  bring  you  in here.  I  remember  when  Goldie  had  you.  He  bought  her  two  dozen pink  roses.  That  boosted  my  pay  real  high  that  week.  But  I remember  when  they  died.  I  wondered  what  had  happen  to  you.  So, how's  your  life  been?"

     Kit  was  flabbergasted  at  all  the  info  the  little  old  lady had  given  him  in  only  two  minutes.  He  didn't  know  where  to start.

     "Who  is  this  big  guy?"

     "This  is  my  friend  Baloo.  He  took  me  in  after  three  years on  the  street."

     "Good  heavens.  You  were  a  hobo.  My  word.  I  feel  for  you child.  How  did  you  find  this  place  then?"

     "I  was  given  my  parents  trunk  full  of  their  most  prized possessions  and  I  found  an  address  book  in  it."

     "And  you  wanted  to  find  more  information  on  your  parents.  O, dear,  I  know  where  you  should  go  then."

     "Where?"

     "The  police  station.  Your  mother  would  always  be  in  there."

     "Okay,  well,  thank  you  ma'am ."

     "Your  welcome,  young  man.  Come  back  and  buy  a  flower."

     The  two  bears  trekked  over  to  the  police  station  across  the street.  The  street  was  empty.  It  was  almost a  ghost  town.  They walked  in  to  see  an  aged  black  dog  with  long  whiskers  sleeping in  a  chair  snoring. 

     "Excuse  me.  Excuse  me  sir"  Baloo  said  trying  to  get  the  dog to  wake  up.  "Sir,  could  ya  wake  up,  please."

     "What!  What!  Who's  braking  into  the  bank?"  the  old  dog shouted  standing  up  suddenly.

     "Ah,  no  one  is  sir."

     "Than  why  are  ya  here?  Can't  ya  see  I  have  work  to…O,  who am  I  kidding.  Whatcha  need  son?"

     "Sir,  were  you  the  police  chief  here  over  twelve  years  ago?"

     "Yes,  I  was.  I've  been  the  police  chief  here  for  over twenty-five  years.  What  can  I  do  fer  ya?"

     "Did  you  know  these  people?"

     Kit  handed  him  the  picture.

     "Sabrina  Golden  Cloudkicker.  That  girl  was  a  regular  in  here from  when  she  was  seventeen  up  to  the  time  she  disappeared.  I would  book  her  for  disturbing  the  silence  and  stuff  like  that. Why?  Did  you  know  here?"

     "No,  Not  really.  She  was  my  mother."

     "Kit!  Little  Kit.  Is  that  you?  Why  when  your  mom  would  be locked  in  here,  she'd  show  off  dozens  of  pictures  of  you  to  me. She  was  so  proud  of  you."

     "I  heard  my  mom  was  an  activice.  And  that  she  would  dig  up government  conspiracies  Is  that  way  she  was  arrested  a lot?"

     "No,  she  would  protest  the  way  the  poor  people  and  new races  would  get  treated.  Seems  she  was  out  to  try  and  change the  world.  She  once  said  that  she  wanted  this  world  to  be  a better  place  for  you  to  live.  Every  action  she  did  was  for  you, Kit"

     "What  about   my  father.  Did  he  every  get  arrested?"

     "No,  no,  no.  He  was  too  shy  to  do  anything  rash.  She  would call  him  up  and  he  would  come  down  here   and  get  her  out  of jail.  He  brung  you  a  few  times.  You  were  the  center  of attention  when  every  he'd  bring  you.  Those  two  kids  were  so proud  of  you  and  they  loved  you  so  much."

     "Yeah.  I'm  glad  I  know  more  about  them.  Why  did  they  have to  die?  Did  you  know  anything  about  that?"

     "Yeah,  I  do,  son .  Since  your  mom  was  uncovering  one conspiracy  after  another  and  more  and  more  people  were  reliving that  the  government  was  cheating  them.  They  need  to  get  rid  of the  problem  and  your  mom  was  the  problem.  She  start  the  whole mess.  I  couldn't  believe  when  I  found  out  they  were  died.  It said  they  were  killed  in  a  freak  accident,  but  I  didn't  believe that  lie."

     "They  were  killed  by  the  government.  After  they  caught  them, they  jailed  them  than  killed  them."

     "I'm  sorry,  son .  I  hope  your  life  turned  out  good."

     "For  the  first  ten  years,  my  life  was  a  living  hell.  But  a year  ago,  I  met  Baloo"  Kit  said  turning  to  the  gray  bear.  "And he  took  me   in  and  gave  me  a  great  home."

     "That's  good,  son .  So,  what  brings  you  back  to  Tropicana?"

     "I  wanted  to  find  out  more  about  my  parents."

     "Well,  if  you  want  the  personal  stuff  about  them  go  to  439 Iris  Ct.  it's  only  two  blokes  from  here.  The  Sandersons  live there.  They  went  to  school  with  your  parents."

     "Thank  you,  sir."

     "Yeah,  thanks  chief."

     "Your  welcome."

     The  bears  were  on  the  move  again.  They  walked  the  two blokes  and  went  up  to  a  big  white  house  with  a  picket  fence and  broken  shutters.  They  walked  up  to  the  door  and  Kit nervously  rang  the  door  bell.  A  few  seconds  later,  a  round  panda bear  came  to   the  door.

     "Yes,  how  my  I  help  you?"  the  lady  said  politely.

     "Yes,  ma'am.  Are  you  Mrs.  Sanderson?"

     "Yes,  I  am."

     "Did  you  know  a  Vincent  and  Sabrina  Cloudkicker?"

     The  panda  gasped.  "You're  Kit?"

     "Yes,  I  am.  How'd  you  know  that?"

     "I  can  see  them.  I  can't  believe  it's  you.   O,  please,  come in."

     Kit  and  Baloo  walked  in  the house.  The  decor  was  mainly blue.  Blue  walls,  carpet.  She  led  them  to  the  living  room .

     "Please,  sit.  I'll  go  get  Fred."

     The  panda  ran  to  the  back  door.  "Fred,  we  have  company!"

     "I'm  coming,  Lainey."  A  middle  aged  koala  stepped  in  the room  as  his  wife  went  to  the  kitchen.

     "Hello,  my  names  Fred  Sanderson"  the  koala  said  extending  his paw.

     "I'm  Baloo"  Baloo  shock  his  paw.

     "Who  are  you,  kid?"

     "I'm  Kit…  Kit  Cloudkicker."

     "Cloudkicker!  Lainey!"

     The  panda  came  back  in  the  room  with  brownies.

     "Dear,  it's  Vincent  and  Sabrina's   little  boy."

     "It  can't  be."

     "Well,  I  am."

     "Don't  ya  see  it,  Fred. Vincent's  color.  Sabrina's  profile."

     "Prove  it."

     "Here."  Kit  handed  them   the  picture.

     The  couple  stared  at it  with  widened  eyes.  They  were  in shock.

     "It's  you"  Fred  said  embracing  Kit.  "The  little  baby  I  use ta  change  diapers  on."

     Kit  blushed.  "You  did?  So,  how  well  did  ya'll  know  my parents?"

     "Seventeen  years  worth  of  knowing  em'.  We  stood  in  their wedding."

     "Really!  When  did  they  get  married?"

     "In  1918.  We  have  pictures."

     "Can  I  see  them?"

     "Of  course,  you  can"  Mrs.  Sanderson  said.  "I'll  go  get them."

     "Could  you  tell  me  more  about  them?  What  did  they  do  for fun?  What  were  they  like  in  school?"

     "It's  hard  to  start,  Kit."

     "Here  they  are."  Lainey  handed  Kit  the  photo  album.  He  began flipping  through  it  immediately. 

     "That's  them  saying  their  vouls  and  that's  them  cutting  the cake"  Lainey  said  " and  that's  them  having  a  food  fight."

     "A  food  fight?"

     "Sabrina  started  it  when  she  smirred  cake  all  over  Vincent's face.  We  all  had  such  a  great  time.  The  only  bad  thing  was  we had  to  pick  food  off  of  us  the  rest  of  the  time.  And  our  good clothes  were  filthy.  But  it  was  worth  it  especially  if  it  was for  them."

     "Wow"  Kit  gasped  finishing  the  album.  "They  must  of  been  a wild  bunch."

     "It  was  Sabrina  who  was  real  out  going.  Vincent  was  like her  shadow.  She'd  begin  thing.  He  would  finish  them.  They  worked as  a  team.  Like  soul  mates,  I  suppose."

     "They  never  left  each  others  side,  I  can  tell  ya  that.  No matter  where  it  was,  they  were  together.  When  Sabrina  would  do her  speaking  out  in  public,  Vincent  would  be  there.  But  in  the shadows.  Just  in  case  someone  tried  to  hurt  her,  he  would  be  in position.  Or  if  the  cops  would  arrest  her,  he  would  be  waiting at  the  police  station  to  bail  her  out.  It  was  the  same  way  in school.  She  would  do  something  wrong  and  he  would  take  her punishment.  I  never  did  get  that,  but  I  guess  he  really  loved her."

     "Every  Friday,  all  of  us  would  get  together  and  play  poker or  go  to  the  beach  when  this  place  was  beautiful."

     "Yeah!  Now  it's  an  old  run  down  town.  They  say  when  the government  had  the  ordeal  with  them  and  they  disappeared  then later  they  were  found.  That's  when  the  town  capasped."

     "What  do  you  mean  by  found?"

     "They  were  both  found  died  on  the  beach.  All  of  us  chipped in  to  give  them  a  proper  burial."

     "We  wondered  and  worried  for  years  about  you,  Kit.  And  now you're  here.  You're  alive  and  hopefully  you  have  a  good  home."

     "I  do  ma'am.  I've  been  living   with  Baloo  here  for  over  a year,  I  have  a  good  job,  a  surigant  family,  and  a  girlfriend."

     "A  job  and  a  girlfriend.  Aren't  you  too  young  to  have  those things?"

     "I'm  thirteen.  I  hope  not."

     "What  do  you  do,  kid?"

     "I'm  Baloo's  navigator."

     "And  a  fine  good  one  too."

     "And  when  I  grow  up,  I  want  to  be  a  pilot."

     "Wow,  you  got  into  aviation.  Vincent  loved  designing  planes. He  never  went  anywhere  without  an  empty  blueprint  and  pencil."

     "Tell  us  about  this  girlfriend  of  yours."

     "Well,  you  may  know  her.  Her  name's  Guinna  Kurasawa."

     Both  their  eyes  widen.

     "Jillian's  little  girl!  But  how'd  you  meet  her?  Last  time  I heard  of  them  was  when  they  escaped  from  the  compound."

     "The  compound?" 

     "Yes,  they  were  locked  in  the  EAS  compound  for  months.  It was  on  the  news  that  they  had  escaped."

     "Guinna  never  told  me  about  that,  but  there's  a lot  of  stuff I  never  told  her  either."

     "You  two  use  to  play  all  the  time.  You  two  were  so adorable."  

     "Mr.  Sanderson,  you  said  ya'll  paid  for  my  parents  burial. Where  are  they  buried?"

     "They're  buried  in  the  town  cemetery."

     "Where's  it  at?"

     "On  the  hill  by  the  ocean.  Only  a  mile  from  here."

     "Baloo,  we  have  to  go.  Right  now."

     "Okay,  Lil'  Britches.  We  can  go,  but  what  'bout  gettin'  more info  on  your  folks?"

     "You  can  come  back  and  have  dinner  with  us.  And  we  can tell  you  about  the  time  your  dad  jumped  started  the  teacher's car."

     "That  sounds  great."

     "Come  on  Baloo."

     Kit  pulled  the  big  bear  along.  They  stopped  at  Hattie's  to buy  two  pink  roses.  They  walked  down  the  long  road  that  led  to the  ocean.  The  beach  had  eroded  away  and  only  rocks  stood  there. The  weeds  had  over  grown  the  gates  of  the  cemetery.  Kit  went on  ahead  to  look  for  their  graves.

     "Over  here  Kit!  I  found  them"  Baloo  shouted  standing  over two  small  head  stones.

     Kit  ran  up  to  them  with  the  two  pink  roses  in  his  paw.  He stopped. 

    

"Vincent  Thomas  Cloudkicker
   October  1,  1899-July  1,  1927
    A  loving  husband  and  father  and  a  genius  inventor

 

Sabrina  Golden  Cloudkicker
  May  29, 1900-July  10,  1927
  A  wonderful  mother  and  wife  and  great  person"

 

Kit  read.  In  the  middle  of   the  stone  was  a  poem.

 

"Two  souls
 Lost  in  each  other
  Will  fall  one  day
  But  be  reborn  
  in  a  ravishing  mix
  of  glory
  And  will  be  unison
  eternally."

 

     Kit  laid  the  two  roses  down  on  the  stones  with  only  two tears  rolling  down  his  cheek.  Baloo  bent  down  and  put  his  arm around  him.

     "You  okay?"

     "Yeah.  In  my  mom's  words,  I  can  only  shed  two  tears  for them"  Kit  said  turning  to  Baloo  and  embracing  him.  "I  love  you, Papa  Bear.  I  want  you  to  be  my  father."

 

     Rebecca  sat  at  her  desk  sorting  through  papers  when  the  Sea Duck  landed.  Baloo  and  Kit  walked  in.

     "Welcome  back .  How  was  your  weekend?"  Rebecca  asked  taking off  her  glasses.

     "It  was  a  great  weekend.  Baloo  is  gonna  be  my  father."

     "You  finally  asked  him.  That's  wonderful."

     "It  is  Becky."

     "Where's  Guinna  and  Molly?  I  want  to  tell  them."

     "There  with  Wildcat  at  the  park."

     "Can  I  go,  Papa  Bear?"

     "Of  course,  you  can."

     "All  right!"  Kit  said  running  out  the  door.

     Baloo  waited  for  a  moment  then  turned  to  Rebecca.

     "So,  how  was  your  are  you  and  O'Mally  doin'?  Did  you  two go  out  again?"

     "Yes,  but  were  still  just  friends.  He  came  over  my  house and  we  all  went  to  see  a  movie.  That's  all."

     "Well,  that's  good.  He's  a  good  guy. But  if  your  not interested,  I'll  let  it  go."

     "Thank  you,  Baloo.  That's  real  adult  of  you.  But  I'll  tell you  the  truth .  Maybe  one  day,  I'll  want  a  relationship,  but  not at  this  moment."

     "I  just  want  you  ta  be  happy."

     "I  am  happy.  I'm  very  happy  with  friends  like  you."          


Return to Kit Cloudkicker Fanfics Page

Return to the Unofficial Kit Cloudkicker Homepage


Special Thanks to 50 Webs for providing space for this webpage. Click here to find out how you can get your free homepage and 60 Megabytes of webspace.