Return to 50 Webs.

To Capture Your Love

                by Nina  Adams

Disclaimer: Baloo, Rebecca Cunningham, Don Karnage, Kit Cloudkicker, Molly Cunningham and WildCat are (c)1990/1991 Walt Disney Company and are being used without premission. The writer has made sure that all material represented here is not used for profit and is used with the upmost respect to Disney and the Tale Spin team. All other characters are the property of the writer.

Disclaimer#2: The  characters  of  Scatcat  and  Thomas  O'Mally  are creations  of  the  very  talented  Larry  Clemmons,  Vance  Gerry,  Frank Thomas,  Julias  Svendsen,  Ken  Anderson,  Eric  Cleworth,  Ralph  Wright and  author  of the  book  "Albert  and  Victoria",  David  Duff.  Don't Worry! I  did  not  make  any  money  from  the  use  of  these characters.


To  Capture  Your  Love

     "Come  on,  GG.  It  wouldn't  hurt  to  try  out  for  the  play" Kit  Cloudkicker  said  dragging  his  girlfriend,  Guinna  Kurasawa,  into the  auditorium  of  their  high  school.

     "Kit,  I  don't  know.  I  never  acted  before"  Guinna  said  trying to  get  away.

     Kit  was  so  excited  about  the  play  that  the  drama  teacher was  putting  on.  The  play  was  Romeo  and  Juliet  and  Kit  wanted him  and  Guinna  to  get  the  lead  roles.  He  finally  got  Guinna  in the  building.  She  didn't  feel  the  same  about  the  play  as  Kit did.

     "Kit,  I  never  read  Shakespeare  before."

     "Well,  I  never  did   either,  but  I'm  not  going  to  try  out because  I  never  read  some  dead  guys  work."

     He  walked  up  to  the  stage  where  all  the  other  high  school students  were  practicing.  Guinna  far  behind  him  with  her  arms folded.  Dante  Jones  noticed  her  dangling  around  the  edge  of  the crowd.  He  slipped  away  from  his  group  and  went  up  to  her.

     "So,  Guinna  girl,  what  part  are  you  here  to  try  out  for?" he  asked.

     "I'm  not  here  to  try  out.  But  Kit  wants  to  try  out  for Romeo."

     "You're  scrawny  boyfriend  wants  to  be  the  daring  Romeo.  He'll crash  and  burn."

     "No  he  won't"  Guinna  said  defensively.

     "Hey,  Dante!  Stop  harassing  my  girlfriend!"  Kit  yelled  pushing Dante's  shoulder.

     "Kit,  don't  pick  a  fight.  He  wasn't  saying  anything  bad about  me."

     "Just  stay  away  from  her,  Dante"  Kit  said  walking  off  with Guinna.

     "Like  I'll  listen  to  you"  Dante  murmured  piering  at  his  arch rival.

     Kit  and  Dante  had  hated  each  other  since  Kit  started  going to  the  school.  The  fox  was  a  year  older  than  Kit  and  was jealous  that  Kit  had  Guinna.  Guinna  hated  being  fought  over.  She didn't  understand  why  Dante  liked  her  or  did  he  like  her?  She wondered  sometimes  if  Dante  only  wanted  her,  because  she  was Kit's.  He  wanted  everything  Kit  had  eventhough  Kit  had  very little  material  wise,  but  love  wise,  he  had  everything.           

                                                                          

                                            

     The  drama  teacher,  Mrs.  Bancroft,  stood  up  on  the  stage  in front  of  the  students.  "Students!  Quiet,  please.  Let's  start  the auditions.  The  first  reading  I  would  for  the  part  of  Romeo.  Who would  like  to  begin?"

     "Me,  Mrs.  Bancroft"  Dante  spoke  out  jumping  on  stage.

     "Okay,  Mr.  Jones.  Go  ahead"  she  said  stepping  off.

     Dante  read  the  part  he  picked  out.  He  was  flamboyant  as  he read  the  scene  with  Kit  looking  at  his  girlfriend  instead  of giving  that  jerk  attention.  The  teacher  called  on  the  next  boy to  try  out.  Kit  ran  up  there.  He  held  his  head  high  as  he performed  his  scene.

"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief"

     He  carried  out  with  eyes  shifting  toward  Guinna  and  a  big grin.

     "Thank  you,  Mr.  Cloudkicker  and  Mr.  Jones.  Now,  we'll  move on  to  the  part  of  Juliet."

     The  first  girl  got  up  on  stage  than  the  second  and  third until  it  was  Guinna's  turn.

     "Anyone  else  want  to  try  out  for  this  part?"

     Kit  nudged  Guinna.  She  shock  her  head  no,  but  Kit  wouldn't allow  that.

     "Mrs.  Bancroft,  Guinna  wants  to  take  a  shot  at  the  part."

     "Kit,  no."

     "Come  on  Guinna.  Pleasssssssse"  Kit  pleaded  looking  into  the girl's  eyes.

     She  couldn't  turn  down  that  look.

     "All right,  but  I'm  doing  this  just  for  you."

     Guinna  stepped  up  on  stage.  She  glanced  at  the  script  in her  paw.  Than  she  looked  into  the audience.  All  those  faces  staring  at  her.  Her  stomach  twisted  in knots.  But  her  eye  caught  the  eye  of  a  certain  bearcub  sitting to  the  right  of  her.  To  see  Kit's  face  gave  her  confidence  and she  started.

     "O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"

 

      The  students  sat  back  in  amazement  as  the  shy  girl performed  for  them.  Kit  was  in  awe  the  whole  time  thinking  to himself  ~I  know  she  could  do  it ~.  Guinna  stopped  and  hopped  off the  stage.

     "Thanks  Ms.  Kurasawa.  I  didn't  realize  you  were  so  good  at acting"  Mrs.  Bancroft  implied.

     "I  didn't  know  I  could  act  either."

     "You  were  great,  GG.  I  knew  you  had  it  in  you."

     "Thanks  Kit.  I'm  glad  one  of  us  did."

 

      Kit  and  Guinna  run  to  the  auditorium  after  school.  Mrs. Bancroft  said  she  would  post  the  results  of  the  audition  on  the bulletin  board.  Some  students  were  around  it  when  they  got  there. Kit  pushed  his  way  through  the  small  crowd.  He  found  Guinna's name.

     "Guinna"  he  said  in  excitement,  "You  got  the  part  of Juliet!"

     "I  did.  That  must  be  a  mistake.  Let  me  see."

     She  made  her  way  to  the  board.

     "I  am  playing  Juliet.  What  part  are  you  playing,  Kit?"

     "I  didn't  check."

     They  read  rest  of  the  results.  Kit's  eyes  grow  big  when  he saw  who  was  playing  Romeo.

     "What!  Dante  Jones!  Now  that  has  to  be  mistake"  Kit protested.

     "No,  Kit.  Dante  showed  a  more  spirited  Romeo.  I'm  sorry  but I  gave  you  the  part  of  Benvolio"  Mrs.  Bancroft  corrected.

     "What!  I  get  to  play  his  cousin.  That's  a  real  honor"  Kit said  sarcasticly  making  his  way  out  the  crowd  and  outside  the build.  Guinna  followed  him  closely  with  a  slit  frown  on  her face.

     "It's  all  right,  Kit.  There  will  be  other  plays  that  you'll get  the  lead  part  in"  the  girl  said  putting  her  around  the  boy.

 

     "I  know,  GG,  but  this  play  is  special"  he  said  putting  his arm  around  her  hipe  and  laying  his  head  on  her  shoulder.

     "Why  is  it  so  special?"

     " 'Cause  my  mom  did  this  play  when  she  was  in  high  school. An  old  program  was  stuck  in  her  diary.  That's  how  I  know."  They strolled  down  the  sidewalk  toward  the  main  building.  "And  I wanted  us  to  do  it  together.  Since  we  love  each  other  so  much, we  wouldn't  really  have  to  act."

     "We  would  have  to  kiss  in  front  of  a  huge  audience."

     "So  what.  When  I  kiss  you,  it  feels  like  no  ones  there anyway."

     "But  now  I  have  to  kiss  Dante."

     Kit  cringed  at  the  thought  of  Dante,  his  mortal  enemy  in his  words,  kissing  his  girl.  He  wasn't  gonna  stop  Guinna  from starring  in  the  play.  But  why  did  Dante  have  to  get  the  part?

     "I  do  not  like  those  words."

     "I  know,  but  it's  only  a  few  times."

     Kit  cringed  a  little  more.  "Yeah,  each  time  you  do  the play.  You  gotta  practice  it  an  stuff."

     "Yeah.  Yeah.  Yeah.  I  know.  Just  don't  think  about  it.  I won't  enjoy  it.  I  can't  stand  Dante  either,  but  don't  be  so critical.  The  play  will  be  over  in  a  month.  Can  you  handle that,  Mr.  Cloudkicker?"

     "Yes,  ma'am."

     "That's  my  Kit-boy"  Guinna  said  giving  him  a  quick  smack  on the  lips.  They  were  in  their  own  little  world  for  a  moment until  a  big  disturbance  came  along.

     "Hey,  Guinna  girl.  What's  you  and  loser  doing?  O,  your  not allowed  to  make  out  on  campus.  Except  me  and  Guinna  get  to  make out  legally"  Dante  interrupted  slapping  Kit  on  the  back.

     "Dante,  go  away.  Me  and  Guinna  are  going  home.  Maybe,  you should  do  the  same"  Kit  squeezed  out  trying  to  be  polite  for Guinna's  sac.

     "Me  and  Guinna  have  to  be  together  a lot.  We  have  a  lot  of practicing  to  do."

     "We're  only  going  to  practice  with  each  other  at  school, Dante.  Kit  will  practice  with  me  any  other  time"  the  girl  said trying  not  to  make  eye  contact  with  him.

     "You  should  only  practice  with  me.  That's  what  Mrs.  Bancroft said."

     "O,  really"  Kit  jeered  rolling  his  eyes.  He  released  his grip  of  Guinna  and  stopped.  "Well,  she  doesn't  want  to  practice with  you."

     "Kit,  be  nice."

     "Guinna,  how  can  you  be  nice  to  that  jerk?"

     "Looks  like  your  girlfriends  turnin'  on  ya."

     "You  be  nice  too,  Dante.  Now,  if  ya'll  two  boys  don't  mind, I  would  like  to  get  home  now."

     Guinna  sassed  right  through  the  two  boys  and  walked  off.

     "Hey,  GG,  wait  for  me!"  Kit  shouted  running  after  her.

 

     Kit  sat  up  in  his  room  reading  his  mother's  newly  published poetry  book. 

 

     As  I  lye  here  outside
     Staring  at  the  sky
     I'm  reminded  of  what  I  feel  for  you
     Will  always  remain  strong  and  true
     With  no  doubt  in  my  mind

 

     He  smiled  at  the  poem.  It  reminded  him  of  his  love  for Guinna.  ~ My  mom  sure  knew  how  to  capture  an  emotion.  Maybe  I should  perform  this  poem  for. ~

     "Kit!  We're  leaving!  Bye!  Guinna  called  from  downstairs.

     Kit  jumped  up  as  fast  as  he  could  and  dashed  down  the stairs  to  say  bye.  He  ran  up  to  Guinna  by  the  door.

     "Babe,  you  were  gonna  leave  without  a  good-bye  kiss"  Kit uttered  grabbing  the  girl's  paw.

     "Yes,  as  a  matter  of  fact  I  was."  She  turned  around.  "Your not  getting  one  until  you  stop  being  like  Dante."

     "Me!  Like  Dante!  That's  impossible."

     They  heard  a  horn  outside. 

     "Come  on,  Guinna.  Our  rides  here"  Rebecca  said  patting  the girl's  back.

     "Okay,  Rebecca."

     "Bye,  Kit"  Rebecca  said  walking  out  the  door.  "Bye,  Baloo!"

     Baloo  came  out  the  kitchen  with  food  in  his  mouth.  "Bly Blecky."

     "Bye,  Miz  Cunningham."

     "See  you  tomorrow,  Kicker."

     "Bye,  girlie."

     "Bye,  Baloo."

     She  stepped  out  the  door  and  turned  around  to  a  capsized Kit  staring  back  at  her.

     "Don't  look  so  sad.  Tomorrow  is  another  day"  she  whispered to  him.  "I  love  you."

     "Love  ya  too,  babe."

     He  watched  her  drive  off  in  the  cab  with  Miz  Cunningham  and felt  a  bit  better.  Guinna  didn't  seem  as  mad  at  him.  That  made him  feel  better.  Like  she  said  tomorrow  is  another  day. Kit  closed  the  door  and  went  back  upstairs.  Baloo  was  sitting  at the  end  of  his  bed  with  a  can  of  peanuts  in  hand  chopping  em' down  like  they  were  going  outta  style.

     "Hey,  Lil'  Britches,  whassa  matter?"  the  big  bear  asked setting  the  can  down  on  the  night  stand.

     "Guinna's  a  little  mad  at  me  right  now"  Kit  said  flopping on  his  bed.

     "What'd  ya  do?"

     "I  was  just  tellin'  that  jerk,  Dante  Jones,  to  stay  away from  us.  Guinna  got  mad  and  said  be  nice,  don't  cause  a  fight."

     "Ya  got  in  a  fight  with  that  guy?"

     "No,  but  we  almost  yesterday  when  we  were  tryin'  out  for the  play."

     "Sore  'bout  losin'  the  part  ta  him  can  do  that  to  ya."

     Yeah.  I  was  so  sure  I  was  gonna  get  that  part  too."

     "I  still  don't  understand  why  I'm  upset  that  Guinna's  mad  at me.  I  mean  she's  not  gonna  be  mad  at  me  ferever.  It's  strange that  I  love  you  and  Guinna  so  much  that  I  would  died  for ya'll.  But  the  love  for  you  and  her  is  different.  I'm  so confused."

     "I  know  why  your  feelin'  so  confused,  Lil'  Britches."

     "Why?"

     "It's  'cause  ya  horrormones."

     "You  mean  hormones,  Baloo."

     "No  I  don't.  Horrormones  kick  in  at  around  your  age.  And they  make  your  life  horrible  for  your  teenage  years.  When  your horrormones  kick  in  you  don't  know  whether  ya  comin'  or  gonin'. Don't  know  what  to  do  'bout  stuff  ya  don't  understand  yet.  Trust me,  I've  had  those  problems  with  girls  before."

     "You  did?  You  had  a  girlfriend  before?"

     "May  sound  strange,  but  ya  o'Papa  Bear  was  in  love  with  the most  beautiful  girl  you  could  lay  ya  peepers  on."

     "Wow,  could  you  tell  me  'bout  her?  Where'd  ya'll  meet?"

     "Well,  we  met  when  I   was  servin'  as  a  bomber  pilot  in  the great  war.  I  was  only  sixteen.  I  had  lied  'bout  my  age  so  I could  fight.  I  got  sent  to  Bago-Shiloh. 

     Kit  went  over  to  Baloo's  bed  and  cuddled  up  next  to  the pilot.

     "Anyways,  I  was  sittin'  in  a  bar  with  my  buddies.  Just drinkin'  a  cold  cola  when  the  door  opened  and  she  walked  in. She  was  the  most  stunnin'  cat.  With  legs  up  to  her  neck.  Pure white  fur.  A  face  with  perfectly  puffed  cheeks.  Wearin'  a  tight blue  dress  and  a  silver ankle  bracelet.    Ya  just  couldn't resisted.    We  couldn't  take  our  eyes  off  that  girl.  She  walked by  us  and  gave  a  fate  smile  my  way  and  then  sat  down  at  the end  of  the  bar.  My  buddies  keep  pushin'  me  to  talk  to  her. Well,  I  finally  gave  up  and  sat  next  to  her.

     'Whatcha  drinkin'?'

     'A  martini  on  rocks.  Why?'

     'I  would  kinda  like  ta…ah  buy  you  one.  If  ya  don't  mind.'

     'Thank  you.'

     We  sat  there  fer  a  moment  not  sayin'  anything.  She  had  the normal  Bago  accent. (like  French)  I  finally  spoke  up  after  a while.

     'Ya  come  here  often?'

     'No,  this  is  my  first  time  in  here.'

     'Mine  to.'

     'Hey,  Baloo!  When  are  ya  gonna  get  to  the  good  stuff.'

     One  of  my  buddies  yelled  from  across  the  bar. 

     'Is  this  some  kind  of  game  you  and  your  friends  like  to play?'

     'No,  ya  miss  understood  em'.'

     Before  I  could  say  anything  else  she  had  grabbed  her  coat and  left.  I  ran  after  her  and  caught  up  with  her  on  a  street corner.

     'Wait,  lady.'

     I  grabbed  her  arm  to  stop  her.

     'Go  back  to  your  band  of  idiots  boy.  I  should  of  known your  group  was  trouble.'

     'Listen.  I'm  sorry  if  they  offended  you,  but  I'm  not  like them.'

     'Then,  why  do  you  stay  around  them?'

     ' 'Cause  they're  my  only  friends.'

     'Well,  you  should  get  better  friends.'

     I  was  about  all  bummed  out  by  then.  I  kinda  hung  my  head in  shame.

     'Look.  I'm  sorry  to  criticize  you.'  She  told  me  brushin'  my cheek.  'I  am  Arianna  Tybalt.  What  are  you  called?'

     'I'm  just  plan  o'Baloo.'

     'Well,  Baloo,  do  you  like  to  dance?'

     'Do  I!  I  love  gettin'  down  on  the  dance  floor.'

     'Good.  I  know  a  place  a  few  blokes  from  here  that  has  a swing  beat.'

     'Now  ya  talkin'  my  stuff,  Arianna.'

     'Come.  We  shall  go  then.'

     I  eased  around  her.  We  went  dancin'  and  sat  on  the  harbor where  the  shrimp  boats  were  comin'  in  fer  the  day.

     'Baloo,  how  old  are  you?'

     'Sixteen.  How  old  are  you?'

     'I  am  the  old  age  of  eighteen.'

     'Old  age.  Ha!  You  don't  look  a  day  over  fifteen.'

     She  laughed  at  that.  I  never  knew  if  she  took  that  remark as  good  or  bad.  

     'It  is  bad  for  me  now.  I  am  eighteen.  That  means  I  could be  as  you  say  hitched  soon.'

     'Ya  gotta  boyfriend?'

     'No.  But  any  man  can  come  along  and  marry  me.'

     'You  don't  have  a  say  in  it?'

     'No,  I  do  not.  I  am  afraid  of  a  son  of  my  father's friend.  He  is  coming  back  from  boarding  school  soon.'

     'Who  is  he?'

    'Berg  Plano.  He  is  a  true  creep.  I  never  did  like  him  as  a child.  He  always  pull  my  hair  and  was  mean.'

     'Sounds  like  _A_  number  one  creepola  to  me  too.'

     'Yes.  It  is  very  sad  situation  for  me.'

     'That  is  sad.  Hey,  I  gotta  crazy  idea.  How's  'bout  gettin' hitched  to  me  before  this  guy  comes  back.'

     She  brushed  my  cheek  again  with  sorrow  in  her  eyes.

     'You  are  very  darling  to  me.  I  am  sorry,  but  I  can  not marry  you.  Our  laws  in  Bago-Shiloh  are  different  from  your  home which  is…'

     'Cape  Suzette.'

     'Yes,  Cape  Suzette.  Yes,  laws  very  different.  You  have  to  be eighteen  to  marry  here.'

     'The  government  of  Usland  thinks  I'm  eighteen.  So  why  won't the  government  of  Bago  not  think  so  either.'

     'Good  point.  I  suppose.  But  I  don't  want  to  put  you  in  any kind  of  situation  you  can't  get  out  of.  You  do  not  love  me.'

     'What's  not  to  love  about  you,  Arianna.  You're  beautiful, intelligent,  and  a  great  dancer.'

     'You  are  too,  Baloo.  Not  just  good  dancer,  but  good  person. Thank  you  for  being  so  kind.'

     She  leaned  over  to  me  and  gave  me  the  biggest  smack  on  thelips.  My  stomach  was  in  knots  when  she  stopped.  I  was  in  total shock.

     'I  shall  sleep  on  your  offer,  Baloo.'

     She  started  walking  away.

     'Wait,  Arianna.  How  will  I  know  how  to  contact  you?'

     'Don't  worry!  I  will  contact  you.'

     And  with  that,  she  disappeared  into  the  night.  I  didn't think  I  was  gonna  see  the  girl  again.  But  the  next  day  when  I was  fuelin'  my  bomber,  somethin'  came  up  from  behind  me  and touched  me  on  my  shoulder  and  scared  me  half  ta  death.  When  I turned  around,  there  she  was  in  all  her  radiant  beauty.

     'Arianna,  whatcha  doin'  here?  How'd  ya  get  on  the  base?'

     'I  have  my  ways,  Baloo.  I've  thought  of  your  offer  and  I've decided  I  cannot  except.  You  are  too  good  for  me.'

     'Too  good!  Baby,  you  don't  know  the  half  of  it.  I'm  not  no one  like  that.  I've  done  bad  before.  A  lotta  bad.'

     'You  cannot  be  bad  if  you  offer  a  marriage  to  me.'

     'Hey,  I  got  it.  How's  'bout  I  fly  us  to  the  closest  island from  here  that's  in  Usland  which  would  be  Est  Salvora.  We  can go  today.'

     'No,  I  told  you  I  cannot  not.  I'm  sorry.'

     'Okay.  I  was  only  tryin'  ta  help.  Ya  see,  I  never  met  a gal  like  you.  I've  always  been  kinda  afraid  ta  talk  to  girls and  such.  But  you.  Your  so  easy  to  be  around.  I  don't  feel uncomfortable.'

     'I'm  glad  you  can  feel  that  why  around  me.  You  are  so  easy to  be  around  too.  But  I  cannot  put  you  into  my  troubles.'

     'What  trouble,  Arianna?'

     'Please  call  me  Anya.'

     'Okay,  Anya.  I  don't  have  much  gonin'  fer  me.  I  don't  know what  I'm  gonna  do  when  I  get  back  to  my  home  Cape  Suzette.  I mean  there's  only  one  thing  I  really  wanna  do.  And  that's  ta fly.'

     'You  have  to  think  about  what  will  happen  if  we  do  get married.  Do  we  stay  in  Bago-Shiloh  or  go  back  to  your  Cape Suzette?  Where  will  we  live?  Your  only  sixteen.'

     'I  know,  Anya,  but  we'll  make  it.  Maybe  start  a  cargo business.  What  do  ya  say?'

     'No,  me  and  you  just  met,  why  do  you  care  so  much  about me?'

     'I  already  told  ya  the  answer  ta  that.'

     'I  have  to  leave  for  now.  I  have  a  job  to  get  to.'

     'What  do  you  do?'

     'I  am  phone  operator.  I  connect  one  person  with  another.  It is  not  very  good  pay,  but  there  is  no  other  job  in  Bago-Shiloh. I'm  afraid  the  war  will  take  that  job  away  too.  I'm  afraid  I might  get  stuck  in  the  middle  and  can't  get  out.'

     'Don't  worry  your  pretty  little  head  baby.  That's  what  I'm here  fer.  They  sent  me  and  other  guys  to  protect  the  innocent citizens  of  Bago.'

     'And  I  know  you  will  do  good  job  too.  I  have  to  go  or  I will  be  late.  Meet  me  tonight  at  the  Fozzios,  okay.'

     'Okay,  Anya,  bye.'

     'Good-bye  my  brave  soldier.'

     She  gave  me  one  of  her  quick  smacks  on  the  lips  and  left again.  My  heart-strings  were  just  agoing  by  now.  That  girl  had gotten  me  into  a  twister  and  I  loved  it.  She  was  no  most amazin'  thing  I'd  ever  met.  But  she  never  excepted  my  help."

     "What  happen  to  Anya,  Baloo?  Do  something  bad  happen  to  her 'cause  if  it  did,  ya  don't  have  ta  tell  me."

     "It's  all  right,  kiddo.  I  need  to  get  it  out.  But  ya something  bad  did  happen  to  her.  For  five  months  after  we  met, we  would  go  out  on  dates  and  have  a  great  time.  I  would  call her  when  she  was  at  work  and  she  would  stop  by  the  base  every mornin'  and  bring  me  breakfast.  She  was  an  ace  when  it  came  to cookin'. 

     "But  on  our  happiest  peek,  she  was  ripped  from  my  arms.  One day  she  called  me  up  cryin'  and  sayin'…

     'He's  here  for  me!  He's  taking  me  away  forever!'

     'Wait!  Slow  down,  Anya!'

     'Please,  Baloo,  help  me.  He's  taking  me  to  the  train station…'

     That's  when  the  phone  went  blank.  I  ran  as  fast  as  I  could to  the  train  station…"

     Tears  began  to  well  out  of  the  big  bears  eyes.

     "… but  it  was  too  late.  The  train  was  leavin'  and  I couldn't  stop  it.  I  could  hear  her  cry's  and  saw  her  at  the back  window  mouthing-  you  were  right.  I  never  saw  her  again.  I searched  for  her,  but  there  was  no  sign  of  her  anywhere  in Bago-Shiloh.  I  couldn't  find  er'."

     "That  so  sad,  Papa  Bear.  I  never  knew…I'm  sorry."

     "It  was  a  really  long  time  ago.  She  left  me  a  momento  at my  bunker.  It  was  her  silver  ankle  bracelet."

     "Do  you  still  have  it?"

     "No.  It  was  stolen.  I  never  found  it  again.  Just  like  her. But  maybe  it  was  for  the  best."

     "Did  you  ever  meet  anyone  else?"

     "Naw,  I  couldn't  be  with  anyone  besides  her.  She  was  a  very special  girl.  I  wonder  if  we  were  together  now,  me  and  you probably  wouldn't  of  met.  That  brakes  my  heart  to  think  that.  I can't  imagine  life  without  ya,  kid."

     "I  can't  imagine  life  without  you  too,  Papa  Bear."

      

The  bright  sun  shone  down  on  the  water  as  Rebecca  and Guinna  walked  into  Higher  for  Hire.  As  usual,  the  bear  and  cub were  at  the  table  eating  breakfast.  Guinna  stayed  in  the  office till  Kit  finished.  She  was  still  a  little  angry  at  him  for being  a  ,  but  she  couldn't  stay  mad  at  him  forever. 

     "Baloo,  I'm  going  to  give  you  a  shocker,  but  there  are  no deliveries  today"  Rebecca  said  sitting  down  next  to  him.

     "Are  ya  tellin'  me  the  truth?"

     "Yes,  so,  you  can  do  what  ever  you  want  today."

     "You're  not  gonna  take  the  day  off?"

     "I  still  have  to  work.  So  I  want  you  to  go  to  Louie's  or someplace  today,  okay.  Go  have  fun  and  don't  come  back  for  a while."

     "If  you  say  so,  Boss-lady."

     Kit  put  his  plate  in the  sink  and  grabbed  his  back  pack.

     "Have  fun,  Baloo.  Bye  Miz  Cunningham."

     "Bye  Kit."

     "Yeah,  see  ya later."

     He  walked  into  the  office  where  Guinna  was  playing  with  his compass.  She  looked  up  embarrassed. 

     "O,  here's  your  compass.  You  musta  set  it  down  on  the  desk" she  said  handing  it  to  him.

     He  took  it and  stuck  it  under  his  sweater.  "Thanks,  babe."

     They  walked  out  the  building  in  silence  for  a  few  minutes.

     "Ya  know,  it  must  be  really  cool  to  have  such  good navigational  skills.  I  mean  you  always  know  where  you  are."

     "I  don't  know  where  I'm  at  all  the  time.  No  ones  that good."

     "Still,  you  can  figure  out  where  you  are  really  fast.  I wish  I  had  those  skills."

     "You  can.  I'll  teach  you."

     "You  just  can't  teach  a  person  everything  about  navigating. You  were  born  with  the  ability."

     "No,  I  wasn't.  Stop  trying  to  make  me look  like  the  greatest navigator  on  earth."

     "I'm  not.  I'm  just  saying  you're  really  good  at  it."

     "Well,  you're  really  good  at  flying.   I  wish  I  could  fly like  you.  You're  one  of  the  best."

     "No  I'm  not.  You're  just  saying  that."

     "Yeah,  right.  I'm  telling  the  truth  and  nothing  but  the truth."

     A  slit  grin  grazed  their  faces.  They  both  knew  they  wouldn't win  so  Kit  changed  the  subject. 

     "Ya  still  mad  at  me?"

     Guinna  stopped  and  folded  her  arms.  They  were  almost  to school  just  a  few  more  feet  and  they'd  be  on  campus.  Kit stopped  a  little  ways  ahead  of  her  and  turned  around.

     "What  do  you  think?"

     "I  don't  know  'cause  I'm  not  in  your  head.  But  judging  by the  smirk  you  have  on  your  face,  I'm  guessing  you  have  a  little playful  instead  of  angry."

     "Close,  but  no  cigar.  And  I  thought  you  knew  me  better  than that,  Kit  Cloudkicker."

     "I  knew  it.  You're  a  playing  a  game  with  me."

     "Now,  your  talking"  she  said  walking  past  him.  He  rolled  his eyes  and  ran  to  catch  up  with  her.

    

     Rebecca  sat  at  her  desk  staring  down  at  her  work.  Baloo headed  over  to  Louie's  about  an  hour  ago.  She  was  getting  caught up  with  her  work  when  a  knock  at  the  door  startled  her.  She raised  her  head  to  see  Thomas  O'Mally  opening  the  door.

     "Hey,  Rebecca."

     "Thomas,  come  in.  What  brings  you  over  here?"  she  said standing  up.

     "I  came  to  see  you.  I  ran  into  Baloo  at  Louie's  and  he told  me  you  were  alone.  I  wanted  to  see  ya."

     "Thomas,  sit  down"  Rebecca  gestured  him  in  the  office  and sit  in  the  chair  by  the  desk.  "I  know  you  really  like  being with  me.  And  I  like  being  with  you  too.  But  I  don't  think  we could  ever  be  more  then  just  friends."

     "Becky."  He  called  her  Becky.  That  was  a  first.  "I  want  to see  you  more  then  just  friends.  I  care  for  you.  But  I understand  if  you  don't  want  a  relationship.  I  never  met  such  a classy  and  sassy  lady  like  you.  I'll  wait  as  long  as  it  takes till  you  want  a  relationship."

     "You'll  wait  for  me?"

     "Of  course,  I  would."

     "What  about  my  daughters?"

     "You  have  some  bonzer  daughters.  Heck,  Molly  reminds  me  of my…"  He  had  let  it  slip.

     "Molly  reminds  you  of  who?"

     "Uh,  no  one."

     "Who,  Thomas  O'Mally?"  Rebecca  demanded  pocking  him  in  the chest.

     "O,  well.  I  guess  I  should  tell  ya.  It  was  bound  to  come out,  anyway.  I  have  kids  myself."

     "How  many?"

     "Three."  He  pulled  out  a  picture  of  three  kittens  from  his wallet.  "That's  my  daughter,  Marie , and  my  two  sons,  Toulouse  and Berlioz."

     "They're  adorable.  Why  aren't  they  with  you  now?"

     "Well,  the  when  I  started  touring  with  Scatcat,  I  had  them and  their  mother  tag  along,  but  she  said  I  was  an  unfit  father after  a  couple  months  on  the  road.  She  left  me  and  disappeared with  my  kids.  I  haven't  seen  them  since."

     "How  long  has  it  been?"

     "Six  years."

     "I'm  sorry,  Thomas.  I  didn't  mean  to  fuss  at  you  like that."

     "It's  okay,  Reebecca."

     "Ya  wanna  have  lunch?"

     "That'll  be  good,  Becky.  I'd  like  that."

 

     The  month  was  going  quick.  It  was  a  week  before  the  play took  the  stage.  Guinna  was  practicing  like  crazy.  Day  and  night she  and  Kit  practiced  together.  Even  quoting  Shakespeare  in  their sleep.  Kit  had  learned  Dante's  lines  pretty  good.  He  was  still sore  from  Dante  beating  him  out,  but  he  tolerated  it  for  Guinna.

 

     Kit  was  on  a  delivery  with  Baloo.  Guinna  wanted  to  get  in some  practicing  in  with  Dante.  Her  stomach  would  twist  when  she thought  of  the  play.  ~ Only  a  week  away.  Man,  I  hope  I  don't screw  it  up ~  she  thought  while  walking  to  Dante's  house.  He lived  on  the not  so  good  part  of  town.  He  lived  in  a  crumbling house  with  his  parents.  She  knocked  on  the  broken  door  that  had a  looked  like  it  had  been  kicked  real  hard  once.  Dante  opened it  and  a  conniving  smile  flashed  over  his  face.

     "So,  Kit  just  wasn't  cutting  it  for  ya,  huh?"  he  said.

     "Dante,  I'm  here  to  practice  with  you  because  Kit  is  on  a delivery.  Can  I  please  come  in  so  we  can  practice?"

     "Sure.  Make  yourself  at  home."

     She  stepped  into  the  small  house.  The  floor  was  covered  in dirt  and  the  furniture  had  been  slashed  a  few  times. Dante grabbed  his  script  off  the  roach  infested  counter  and  sat  on  the couch.

     "Guinna,  sit."

     She  nervously  sat  down  across  the  couch  from  Dante.  She didn't  feel  very  comfortable  being  there.

     "Where  do  you  want  to  start?"  she  asked.

     "How  'bout  right  here.  Scene 

     He  dove  in  close  and  kissed  her  suddenly.  Guinna  pushed  him away  in  shock.

     "Dante!  Get  away  from  me!"  she  screamed  jumping  to  her  feet.

     "O,  come  on,  Guinna.  Kit  will  never  know."

     She  looked  at  him  with  disbelief  wiping  her  mouth.

     "Kit  told  me  you  were  trouble.  But  I  didn't  listen.  How stupid  am  I!"

     "Guinna,  you  know  you'd  rather  me  instead  of  that  weakling" he  said  advancing  toward  her.

     "I  said  get  away!"

     She  ran  out  the  run  down  house  as  fast  as  she  could.

 

     Kit  had  just  gotten  back  from  the  delivery  when  Guinna  ran up.  A  tear  in  her  eye  and  clamping  the  script. 

     "Hey,  babe.  What's…what's  wrong?"  he  asked  seeing  her disstrut.

     She  fell  into  his  arms  still  crying.  "Kit,  I  was  so  scared. He  made  a  pass  at  me  and  said  you'd  never  know.  I  was  scared he  would  do  something  worst."

     "Wait,  Guinna,  who?"

     With  a  sob,  she  said  "Dante."

     "What  did  he  do  to  you?  Did  he  hurt  you?  I'm  going  to kill  him!"

     He  ran  off  towards  Dante's  house.

     "Kit!  Don't  go  over  there.  Kit!"

     He  ignored  Guinna's  cries.  All  he  had  on  his  mind  was vengines.  The  male  protector  hormone  had  kicked  in.  He  ran  up  to Dante's  door  and  knocked  on  it  violently.  He  was  huffing  and puffing  from  the  run  over  there.  The  door  opened  and  a  average type  fox  came  to  the  door.  Kit's  eyes  became  big.  He  knew  that fox.

     "Yeah!  What  do  you…Cloudkicker.  Is  that  you?"  the  fox proclaimed  setting  his  paw  on  Kit's  shoulder.

     Kit  stood  there  shocked  as  ever.  He  wanted  to  run  but  his legs  just  wouldn't  work.

     "Harvey"  he  finally  got  out.

 

CAPRI  ISLE  FOUR  YEARS  AGO

 

     Kit  had  been  a  the  street  for  six  weeks.  He  was  hungry  and tired  and  wanted  a  bed  not  just  garbage  to  sleep  on.  He wondered  the  streets  of  Capri  Isle  asking  people  for  food.  Some would  give  him  some.  Some  wouldn't.  He  got  desperate  one  day.

     He  went  to  the  outdoor  marketplace  one  day.  The  fruit stand owner  was  busy  with  a  customer,  so,  he  made  his  move  and  stole an  apple.  No  one  didn't  even  see  him  steal  it.  He  felt  bad, but  was  too  hungry  to  think  about  guilt  right  now. Kit  ran  to the  closest  ally  way  and  sat  on  the  ground  leaning  against  the brick  wall.  But  there  was  someone  that  saw  him. 

     A  brownish-yellow  lion  walked  up  to  him.

     "Hey,  Kit.  Good  steal.  How  long  have  you've  been  in  the game?"  the  lion  asked.  He  looked  about  sixteen  and  towered  over Kit  like  a  building.

     "Huh?"  Kit  replied  chomping  down  the  apple.

     "How  long  have  we've  been  stealing?"

     "That  was  my  first  time."

     "Ha!  You  coulda  fooled  me.  You  stole  that  apple  so  good,  I assumed  you've  been  stealing  since  you  were  a  kindygardner.  Wow! You  are  good."

     "I  didn't  like  stealing  it.  But  I'm  starving  and  if  I didn't  get  anything  in  my  stomach  it  would  of  turned  against  me. It  was  already  protesting  day  and  night."

     "I  know  how  that  feels.  Yep!  I  know.  There  is  a  way  you can  get  as  much  food  as  ya  want  and  not  feel  guilt."

     "Where's  that?!"

     "Follow  me,  kid.  O,  by  the  way,  whatcha  name?"  he  asked wrapping  his  arm  around  Kit's  shoulder  and  coatsing  him  down  the ally.

     "Kit  Cloudkicker."

     "Cloudkicker,  huh.  Well,  my  name's  Nathaniel.  But  everybody calls  me  Nate.  I  tell  ya  Kit  you're  gonna  love  this  place."

     Nate  and  Kit  went  back  out  to  the  marketplace  where  he  had stolen  the  apple  a  few  minutes  ago. 

     "Why  are  we  back  here?"  Kit  asked.

     "I  want  you  to  meet  the  gang.  Hey,  Charlie!"  Nate  shouted at  an  average  looking  panda  about  twelve  that  was  leaning  against the  mail  box.  He  walked  over  to  the  two.  "Charlie  this  is  Kit. Kit  this  is  Charlie."  The  panda  nodded  at  Kit.  "Kit  wants  to join  the  gang."

     "That's  good.  You'll  like  kid."

     "What  kind  of  gang  is  this?"

     "Just  ya  regular  gang.  We  look  after  each  other  and  stuff. O,  no.  Go  get  him,  Charlie.  He's  lost  again."

     Nate  was  referring  to  a  small  raccoon  in  the  crowd.  He  only looked  about  five.  He  was  wining  and  wondering  around.  Charlie walked  up  to  him  and  picked  the  little  raccoon  up.  He  brought him  back  over  to  Kit  and  Nate  and  set  him  down.

     "Kit,  this  is  Squeaker.  He  join  the  gang  a  few  months  ago. He  doesn't  speak  much  Usland.  I  found  him  crying  in  a  corner one  day.  I  said  I  couldn't  leave  him."

     "Why  is  he  called  Squeaker?"

     "When  he  sleeps,  he  makes  squeaking  noises.  His  real  name  is Maurice."

     "Hi,  Squeaker.  I'm  Kit."

     "Bonus  dies,  ego  Maurice.  Vos?"

     "What  did  he  say?"

     "He  said  hi.  I'm  Maurice.  Say,  Mei  Kit."

     "Mei  Kit."

     "Dies  Kit.  Coniungo?"

     "Squeaker,  Kit  is  a  part  of  the  gang  now."

     "Coniungo?"

     "Yes,  Squeak.  He's  joining  the  gang."

     "O…K"  Squeaker  said  giving  a  thumbs  up.

     "Now,  Kit.  Ya  see  that  girl  over  there."

     "Where?"

     "Right  there"  Nate  said  pointing  to  a  gray  girl  fox  wearing a fading  red  dress  with  a  patch  on  it.  She  looked  about  Nate's age.  She  was  talking  with  a  well  dressed  hippo  lady.  "Ya  see her.  That's  Annemarie…"  He  let  her  name  roll  off  his  tongue  and put  his  arm  back  around.  "She  is  the  best  in  her  field  of work.  She  is  gooood.  She's  the  reason  why  they  say  foxes  are  so clever."

     "What's  her  job?"

     "She  enchants  people.  Just  watch  her.  You'll  see."

     "Yes,  ma'am.  I'm  very  worried  about  the  eagles  on  the island.  I  say  they  need  a  home"  the  girl  spouted  out  to  the clueless  hippo. 

     "You  are  such  a  dear  young  lady.  Here is  ten  dollars  for your  fondation."  The  unknowing  hippo  gave  Annemarie  the  money .

     "Thank  you  so  much  ma'am.  The  eagles  will  really  apreciate it."

     "Your  welcome.  I  do  what  I  can."

     "Yeah.  Right.  Okay.  Well,  bye  ma'am."

     "Bye."

     Annemarie  skipped  off  acting  so  cute  and  innocent  with  a goofy  grin  on  her  face  After  the  hippo  was  out  of  sight,  she stopped,  wiped  the  stupid  grin  off  her  face,  and  slumped  over  to the  group.

     "I  can't  believe  how  stupid  some  people  can  be!  Man,  I  had her  wrapped  around  my  thumb."  She  looked  at  Kit.  "Who's  the kid?"

     "Annemarie,  this  is  Kit.  He  wants  to  join  our  gang."

     "O,  really.  He  better  not  be  another  Squeaker.  Always  crying and  can't  speak  a  dang  sentence  of  Usland."

     "No,  Annie.  He  is  a  slick  one."

     The  girl  grabbed  the  lion's  jaw  and  squeezed  it.  "I  told you  never  to  call  me  that!  Do  I  make  myself  clear?"

     "Crystal."

     She  let  go  of  his  jaw.  "Good.  Now,  how  good  are  ya  kid?"

     "Good  at  what?"

     "Stealing!  Cheating!  Getting  away  with  anything  illegal!"

     "Stealing!"  Kit  proclaimed  turning  to  Nate.  "I  told  you…"

     Nate  put  his  big  paw  over  Kit's  mouth.

     "Kit,  forget  about  it"  he  whispered.  "Yeah,  Annemarie.  He  is good."

     "Bring  him  back  with  us.  Let  Harvey  check  him  out.  He  might not  like  him."

     "O,  he'll  like  him.  Come  on  guys.  Lets  get  home  before  the police  show  up."

     Kit's  mind  was  racing.  He  had  made  a  big  mistake  of trusting  this  guy.  Now  he  was  stuck.  He  wouldn't  let  Kit  go. Nate  held  on  to  Kit's  shoulder  tight  as  they  walked  to  the harbor.  Nate  lead  Kit  to  a  whole  in  the  ground (literally)  by the  harbor.  The  stairs  were  broken  and  hard  to  walk  down.  It was  dark  in  the  room  that  the  stairs  led  to.  A  single  light lite  the  room  that  had  a  torn  couch  against  the  way  and  a radio  on  a  table.  There  were  three  other  rooms  separete  from  the main  one.  Charlie  and  Squeaker  sat  down  on  the  couch.  In  the middle  of  the  room  was  a  brown  recliner.  A  adult  fox  was sleeping  in  it.  Annemarie  walked  over  to  him  and  shook  him  arm.

     "Hey,  Dad.  Wake  up.  We  got  company."

     "Who?  What?  Cops?"  the  fox  asked  standing  up  fast.

     "No,  we  found  a  recrute  on  the  street  today.  Nate  says  he's good.  Check  em'  out  if  ya  want."

     Harvey  went  over  to  Kit  who  was  standing  infront  of  Nate. Kit  shivered  a  little  from  the  fox's  evil  grin.  He  pulled  Kit out  to  the  middle  of  the  room  staring  him  up  and  down.  Harvey turned   around  and  poked  at  Kit's  stomach. 

     "He's  a  little  skiny.  Ya  say  he's  good?"

     "Yeah,  Harvey.  I  saw  him  steal  an  apple  from  Lester's  stand down  at  the  marketplace."

     "Lester  is  a  idiot.  He  wouldn't  see  a  elephant  steal anything.  What  this  kid  has  is  looks.  If  he  can  con  someone into  a  scheme  like  Annemarie  does,  he  can  live."

     ~ Live! ~  Kit  thought  getting  scared  again.  He  turned  to  Nate with  tears  almost  running  down  his  face.  "What  does  he  mean  by that?"

     "If  you  can  con  someone  into  giving  you  money,  you  can live.  It's  okay.  You'll  do  fine."

     "Yeah,  kid.  Once  you  come  in  here,  you  crossed  the  line. You  can't  go  back.  You  can't  leave  'cause  if  you  do,  you  could tell  someone  where  our  hideout  is.  And  we  don't  want  that.  Ya see,  I  run  the  most  successful  thief  business  in  Capri  Isle.  And I  don't  want  that  messed  up.  Got  me?"

     "Uh-huh."  Kit  said  nodding.

     "Ha,  ha,  then.  We  go  out  in  the  morning  for  your  test  run. You  can  sleep  with  Squeaker  tonight.  Now , what  did  ya  bring  me today?"  he  said  sitting  back  in  his  armchair.

     Aneemarie  handed  him  the  ten  dollars  she  conned  out  of  the hippo  today.

     "Very  good,  Annemarie.  Here  ya  go."  He  handed  her  a  small bag.  She  took  it  quickly  and  opened  it.  She  pulled  out  a  piping hot  hamburger.  The  others  gazed  at  it  with  months  watering. 

     "Nate,  what'd  you  bring  me?"

     "Here  ya  go,  Harvey"  Nate  said  handing  him  a  sack  that clanked.  Harvey  looked  in  it.

     "A  radio.  Very,  very  good,  Nate.  Here  ya  are."

     He  gave  Nate  the  next  bag.  Nate  tore  it  open  to  reviel  two slices  of  pizza.  Charlie  started  to  sweat  bullets  when  Harvey turned  to  him.

     "Charlie,  my  boy,  what  do  you  have  for  me?

     "I  found  these.  Its  a  spare  parts  that  I  can  make  into something  really  valueable."

     Harvey  gazed  at  the  spare  parts  for  a  second  then  throw  em' on  the  floor.  All  the  kids  flinched.

     "Charlie,  you  say  you  can  make  something  valueable  out  of this  junk?"

     "Yes…sir…I  can"  Charlie  said  shakeing.

     "You  better  by  tomorrow  night  or  you're  gonna  receive  a beaten  more  painful  then  last  time."

     "But  my  wounds  haven't  even  healed  yet."

     "That's  even  better."

     Charlie  ran  into  one  of  the  other  rooms  crying  and  slammed the  door.

     "That  boy's  gonna  get  it  now!"

     "Harvey.  Lay  off  of  em'  tonight.  Today  was  a  slow  day.  The kid  isn't  very  good  at  the  stealin'  part  sometimes."

     "He  better  get  better  or  else  I'll  have  to  do  something about  it"  Harvey  said  hitting  his  palm  with  his  fist.  He  circled back  to  Kit.  "Here  you  can  have  Charlie's  food.  That  wimp  has to  be  taught  a  lesson.  Now,  Squeaker,  what'd  you  bring  me?"

     Squeaker  looked  at  him  puzzled.  "Quid?"

     "Squeaks,  open…uh…aperio  pocket"  Nate  said  pointing  to Squeaker's  pocket.

     "O,  deceo  bonus."  Squeaker  pulled  out  a  dollar  and  some change  and  gave  it  to  Harvey.

     "This  is  it.  I  thought  you  were  teaching  him  how  to  steal?"

     "I  am.  He's  having  a  hard  time.  He's  only  five  and  can't speak  any  Usland."

     "He's  been  in  this  country  for  months  now.  He  should  know it."

     "Apparently  not."

     "Work  harder  with  him  or  you'll  get  it  to,  Nathaniel."

     The  fox  sauntered  into  his  room   and  shut  the  door. 

     In  all  the  cammotion,  Kit  had  noticed  Annemarie  give  Squeaker a  part  of  her  hamburger.  His  eyes  gleamed  when  she  handed  it to  him  and  he  ate  all  in  a  matter  of  seconds.  The  child  was too  skinny   as  it  is.  Kit  felt  sorry  for  him  the  most.  He  just hoped  someone  would  feel  sorry  for  him  tomorrow.

     All  the  kids  were  in  bed  now.  Annemarie  had  her  own  room and  the  four  boys  shared  the  last  room.  Kit  and  Squeaker  were on  the  bottom  bunk,  Nate  was  on  top,  and  Charlie  slept  in  a separte  bed  across  from  them.  He  was  already  a  sleep  so  they tried  to  be  quiet  while  getting  ready  for  bed.  Kit  was  fixing the  cover  on  his  bed  when  Nate  started  climbing  onto  his.

     "Y'know,  Nate,  you  didn't  have  to  drag  me  into  this  mess.  I trusted  you."

     "That's  you're  first  lesson  for  living  on  the  streets,  Kit. Never  trust anyone."

     "Now,  you  tell  me."

 

     Kit  was  awoken  by  someone  shaking  him.  He  opened  his  eyes slitly  to  see  Annemarie.

     "Get  up.  Harvey's  gonna  be  up  in  a  few  minutes  and  he doesn't  like  stragglers."

     Kit  sat  up.  Squeaker  was  still  sound  a  sleep  beside  him. 

     "Nate,  get  up!"

     "I'm  up.  Stop  hitting  me."

     "Kit,  ya  ready  for  you're  big  day."

     "I'm  afaid  I  won't  get  anything."

     "Don't  worry,  kid"  Nate  said  jumping  off  the  top  bunk. "You'll  do  fine.  Just  take  tips  from  Annemarie  and  you  can  fool anyone."

 

     Harvey  had  his  both  paws  on  Kit's  shoulders.  They  stood  in the  shadows  of   ally  way  by  a  little  café.  People  were  busy eating  breakfast  and  rushing  to  work.  Annemarie  leaned  over  to Kit.

     "See  those  two  ladies  over  there?"  Kit  nodded.  "Good.  You  go over  there  and  talk  to  them  real  calm.  Act  has  cute  as  you can.  And  try  and  con  them  into  giving  you  lots  of  dough."

     "Okay."

    "Are  ya  ready?"

    "Yeah."

    "Go  get  em'  Kit.  You  can  do  it."

    Kit  shollowed  and  went  over  to  the  two  cheetahs  sitting outside  on  the  terrace.  He  walked  up  to  them  real  shy  and looked  down  at  the  ground.

    "Excuse  me  ma'ams.  I'm  with  the  society  to  feed  the  babies in  the  oranphage.  I  work  with  my  mom  to  help  feed  the  poor babies  that  have  lost  their  parents.  We're  running  out  of  money to  buy  milk  and  stuff  and  the  badies  will  starve  if  we  don't get  money  to  buy  milk. So,  could  you  please  spare  some  change  or something."

     "Of  course,  we  will,  son.  Here  is  five  dollars"  one  of  the cheetahs  said.

     "Here's  ten"  the  other  one  said  almost  crying.

     "Thank  you,  ma'ams.  The  babies  will  apreciate  this." ~ I apreciate  it. ~

    He  walked  back  to  Harvey  and  Annemarie  in  the  ally  way.

    "They  gave  me  fifteen  dollars"  he  said  giving  it  to  Harvey.

    "Very  clever,  boy.  You  could  be  as  good  as  Annemarie.  Come on,  kids,  lets  go  steal  breakfast."

 

    The seven  months  past.  Kit  enjoyed  the  company  of  his  new friends  eventhough  they  did  cheat  and  stole  from  people.  Harvey could  be  an  okay  person  when  you  made  him  happy,  but  don't  make him  mad.  Kit  had  to  take  a  couple  beatings  from  not  making  his days  share.  Nate  would  take  Squeaker's  beatings.  He  cared  for the  child  and  didn't  like  to  see  him  hurt.  All  of  them  did. Annemarie  would  try  and  stop  her  father  from  hurting  any  of  the others.  She  had  a  tight  grip  on  him  and  she  could  stop  him from  doing  _almost_  anything.

    Kit  had  had  a  slow  day.  He  was  in  charge  of  Squeaker  so  he couldn't  get  much  done  with  the  little  kid  getting  lost  or crying.  No  one  else  was  home  yet.  Kit  and  Squeaker  walked  in sheepishly.  Harvey  was  sitting  in  his  armchair  listening  to  the radio  Nate  stole  for  him  months  ago.  They  tried  to  sneak  past him.

    "Boy,  did  you  get  me  something?"  Harvey  asked  grabbing  Kit's arm  as  he  pasted.

    "Here"  Kit  said  panicky.  Harvey  grabbed  the  wallet  in  Kit's paw.  He  examined  it  then  throw  it  down  in  a  fit  of  rage.

    "You  call  this  a  day's  work!  What  did  you  think  I  could  do with  stredded  leather!  Huh,  boy?!"  Harvey  yelled  jumping  to  his feet.

    "I  couldn't  find  anything.  I'm  sorry!"  Kit  said  coving  his face.

    "I'll  give  you  something  to  be  sorry  about!" 

    Harvey  slapped  Kit  across  the  face  making  his  nose  bleed  and kicked  him  to  the  floor.

    "Desisto!  Desisto!"  Squeaker  cried  tugging  on  Harvey's  shirt crying.

    "And  you.  You  little  brat  that  can't  speak  a  dang  word!"

    "Desisto!"

    "Shut  up!"  he  shouted  pushing  Squeaker  to  the  floor.  He started  crying  more.  Kit  ran  over  to  him  and  picked  him  up.

    "Don't  hurt  him.  He  doesn't  understand!"

    "He'll  understand  this!"

    Harvey  picked  Kit  up  by  the  collar  and  throw  him  and Squeaker  into  the  closet  and  locked  the  door.  The  closet  was pitch  black.  Kit  skooted  to  the  corner  where  some  clothes  made  a comforting  bed.  Squeaker  cuddled  up  next  to  him  and  Kit  put  his arm  around  him. 

    "Hic  non  desisto."

    "I  know,  Squeaks.  He  wasn't  gonna  stop  either."

 

    Annemarie  walked  in  at  midnight.  Harvey  had  left  to  go  to the  bar  down  the  road.  She  hung  up  her  coat  and  turned  on  the light.  Blood  was  on  the  floor.  Her  heart  sunk  into  her  stomah and  she  became  frantic.  She  ran  in  and  out  of  the  small  rooms calling  out  her  friends'  names.  She  finally  heard  a  sound  come from  the  closet.  Annemarie  opened  it  to  see  Kit  awake  with  blood all  over  his  face  and  Squeaker  a  sleep  beside  him.

    "Omygod!  Kit.  Are  you  okay?"  she  cryed  running  to  him. 

    "I'm  all  right,  Annemarie.  Just  a  bloody  nose  and  my  back  is sore  as  heck."

    "How  long  have  ya'll  been  in  here?"  she  said  picking  Squeaker up.

    "Since  8:00."

    "I'm  so  sorry  I  wasn't  here."

    "That's  okay.  As  long  as  Squeaker  didn't  get  hurt."

    Squeaker  stirred  and  lifted  his  head.  "Ann-ree."

    "Yes,  it's  me,  Squeaks.  Go  back  to  sleep."

    She  smiled  and  brought  him  into  her  room  and  set  him  on  her bed.  He  fell  back  a  sleep  right  away.  She  walked  back  into  the main  room  where  Kit  was.

    "Climb  up  here."

    Kit  climbed  up  on  the  table  while  Annemarie  wet  a  washcloth. She  started  wiping  the  dry  blood  off  his  face. 

    "Ouch"  Kit  exclaimed.

    "Sorry,  Kit.  I'll  be  gentler."

    Kit  looked  at  her  perplexed.  "I  never  saw  this  side  of  you before."

    "What  side?"

    "You're  gentle  side.  You're  always  tough  and  never  actually show  expression.  You  act  like  a  mother  to  Squeaker.  You  must love  him  a  lot."

    "I  do."

    "The  first  night  I  was  here,  I  saw  you  give  him  half  of your  hamburger."

    "You  saw  that"  Annemarie  said  smiling  up  at  him.  She  went over  to  the  sink  and  washed  the  blood  off  the  washcloth.  "I couldn't  let  him  starve.  The  kid  reminds  me  of  my  little brother."

    "You  have  a  brother.  Where  is  he?"

    "My  mom  took  him  and  runaway  when  he  was  a  toddler."

    "Why  didn't  your  mom  take  you  too?"

    "I  guess  she  didn't  like  me.  He  would  be  your  age  right now."

    "Wow.  I'm  sorry."

    "Don't  be.  It's  not  your  fault  none  of  this  happened. Besides,  I  should  be  apologizing  to  you.  I  got  ya  into  this mess.  And  Charlie  and  Squeaks  and  Nate.  I  got  everyone  into this.  I  should  of  said  no  when  Nate  tried  to  recrute  you.  Now none  of  us  can  leave."      

    "Annemarie,  stop  being  so  hard  on  yourself.  You  couldn't  stop anything  your  dad  does."

    "Ya  wanna  know  the  funny  part  about  this  mess.  I  started  in the  con  business  when  I  was  born.  I'm  born  and  breed  a  thief. I  use  to  not  understand  why  I  did  the  cute  act  thing,  but  now I do.  I'm  getting  too  old  to  skip  around  like  an  idoit  and  have a  simple-minded  smile.  I  have  to  confess  I'm  getting  tired  of it.  And  I  want  to  stop,  but  Harvey  won't  let  me."

    "Why  can't  we  escape?  He's  not  here  right  now.  Let's  get  out of  here."

    "He  has  spies  on  our  tail  24  hours  a  day."

    "Really?"

    "Yes,  I'm  not  joking."

    "Dang."

    "Where  does  your  back  hurt?"

    "Right  here"  Kit  said  pointing  to  his  right  side.  Annemarie climbed  on  the  table  and  began  massaging  his  back.

    "Does  that  feel  better?"

    "Yes,  it  does.  Thank  you."

    She  continued  to  massage  as  Kit  sat  talking.

    "So,  have  you  noticed?"

    "Noticed  what?"

    "That  Nate  likes  you."

    "O,  yeah.  I  noticed.  He  can  keep  on  liking  me  from  a  far. Because  I  have  no  interest  in  him  right  now."

    "Why  not?"

    "The  way  our  situation  is.  I've  known  him  for  seven  years. We're  just  friends.  I'm  acutally  the  only  girl  he  knows."

    "Me  too.  There  were  a  few  girls  in  the  oranpgage,  but  not any  my  age.  You're  the  first  girl  I  ever  had  as  a  friend."

    "I'm  honored  to  be  your  first  friend  as  a  girl."

    Nate  and  Charlie  made  it  in  a  little  while  after  Annemarie. They  were  bushed  and  wanted  to  go  to  sleep.  But  Harvey  had  come home  a  few  hours  later  mad  as  heck  for  no  reason. 

    "Get  up.  You  miserable  bums.  I  want  you  to  work  harder  then you  ever  today"  he  shouted  fieriusly  rolling  Nate  out  of  his bed.  He  hit  the  floor  with  a  thump.  He  kicked  Kit  and  Squeaker. They  woke  up  and  pushed  back  to  the  wall.  Harvey  went  over  to Charlie  and  hit  his  back  with  a  leather  shrape. 

    "Ouch!"  Charlie  cried  out  looking  up.

    "All  of  ya  up!"

    Annemarie  ran  in  there  with  fiery.

    "Dad,  what  are  you  doing  to  these  poor  children?"

    "I'm  gettin'  em'  up  so  they  can  make  me  money."

    "Dad,  this  has  to  stop  now.  We  don't  want  to  steal  anymore. We  want  to  live  our  lives  as  kids  not  criminals."

    "You'll  do  what  I  say  Annemarie.  I'm  your  father."

    "Not  anymore."

    Harvey's  face  turned  to  rage.

    "You  dare  hurt  me"  Annemarie  said.

    "Think  again"  Harvey  said  putting  his  big  paws  around  her neck  and  started  choking  her.  Nate  jumped  to  his  feet  and  tried to  get  Harvey  off  of  her.  He  let  her  go  and  slapped  Nate. Squeaker  ran  to  Annemarie  who  was  lying  on the  floor  gasping  for air.

    "Ann-ree!  Ann-ree!"  he  cried. 

    Charlie  ran  to  help  Nate  up, but  Harvey  kicked  them  down again  and  kicked  them  both  in  the  stomch  a  couple  of  times.  Kit watched  in  horror  waiting  for  his  turn.

    "Kit"  Annemarie  said  raising  herself  on  the  bed.  "Take  Squeaks and  get  out  of  here.  Get  help."

    Kit  grabbed  the  child  and  ran  out  the  door  of  the  room  and out  of  the  hole. 

    "What  the…"  Harvey  yelled.  He  kicked  Nate  away  from  the  door and  locked  in  from  the  outside.  He  started  after  Kit  and Squeaker.

    Kit  ran  to  the  busy  streets  of  Capri  Isle.  Kit's  thoughts were  distraut  as  he  gazed  around  for  a  police  officer.  He  put down  Squeaker.

    "Squeaks,  I  want…you…to…go…get…iuvo.  You  get  iuvo."

    "O…k.  Kit."

    The  child  ran  off  into  the  crowd.  Kit  ran  down  the  street  a little  more  before  he  spotted  Harvey.

    "Help!  That  man  is  trying  to  kill  me  and  my  friends!  Help!" Kit  shouted.

    Harvey  came  up  behind  Kit  and  put  his  paw  over  his  mouth.

    "Nothing  to  see  here  folks.  My  kids  just  playing  another  one of  his  pranks."                

    Kit  squirmed,  but  couldn't  get  away  from  Harvey.  He  dragged Kit  to  the  ally  way  and  leaned  down  to  him.

    "If  you  try  to  get  away  again,  I'll  brake  your  neck  right here.  Now  lets  get  back  to  the  hole  so  I  can  go  find  that rambling  idiot.  He's  bound  to  be  crying  in  a  corner  somewhere."

    Harvey  lugged  Kit  into  the  hole.  The  others  were  mending  to their  wounds.  He  opened  the  door  and  tossed  Kit  in  with  them then  locked  the  door  again.

    "Kit,  what  happen?"  Annemarie  said  helping  him  up.

    "He  caught  me  in  the  street.  Squeaks  got  away  though."

    "That's  gonna  be  good.  Squeaks  probably  won't  be  any  help" Nate  said.

    "Acually  when  I  told  him  to  go  get  help.  He  understood  me."

    "He  understood?"

    "Yeah.  Isn't  iuvo  help?"

    "Yeah."

    "Good.  I  said  the  right  thing  then."

 

    Squeaker  did  understand  Kit  and  went  for  help  at  the  police station.

    "Iuvo!  Iuvo!  Iuvo  Ann-ree,  Nate,  Charie,  and  Kit.  Iuvo  now!"

    "What  is  this  kid  saying?"  one  officer  said.

    "He's  saying  help  who  ever  those  people  he's  talking  about" another  said.

    "Where  are  your  friends  kiddo?"

    "Venio."

    "Follow  him."

    Squeaker  pulled  the  officer  along.  Two  others  followed.

 

    Harvey  had  discided  to  get  rid  of  his  crew  of  bandits.  They were  turning  against  him  and  he  couldn't  have  the  kids  turning him  into  the  police.  He  opened  the  door  to  see  all  the  kids huddled  together.  He  was  holding  a  knife.  The  kids  knew  what that  meant.  Just  as  soon  as  Harvey  was  gonna  strike,  the  door was  kicked  in.

    "Police,  drop  the  weapon"  the  first  cop  said  with  Squeaker behind  him.

    Harvey  stood  there , still.  The  other  cop  came  up  behind  him and  grabbed  him  by  the  shoulders.  They  stroggled,  but  the  officer got  the  knife  out  of  Harvey's  control.  They  slapped  the handcuffs  on  him.

    "Are  you  okay  kids?"

    "Yeah,  thanks  to  Squeaker"  Kit  said.

 

    The  police  sent  the  kids  to  the  local  orphange.  The  same  one Kit  escaped  from.  Not  caring  about  the  kids  feelings,  they  split them  up.  Kit  couldn't  take  the  orphange  again,  so  he  left  and went  to  the  airfield  where  he  caught  a  ride  with  a  freelancer to  Winger  City.

End  of  part  1


Return to Kit Cloudkicker Fanfics Page

Return to the Unofficial Kit Cloudkicker Homepage


Special Thanks to 50 Webs for providing space for this webpage. Click here to find out how you can get your free homepage and 60 Megabytes of webspace.