Return to 50 Webs.

TaleSpin is property of the Walt Disney Company, 1990-1991.  The characters here are used without permission, but without any financial gain on my part.  Interpret;   I'm just a poor college student, so *please* don't sue me!!

Again, all thanks for this story goes to many individuals who got me back on the path to becoming the obsessed TaleSpin fan that I was always meant to be.  Dan Green, for his encouragement and boosts to my ego, and especially for his amazing stories that inspired me to try my hand at writing.  Gregory Weagle, for his page on the greatest child character in the history of animation, and for his correspondence with *why* Kit is the best, and Disney just doesn't know it yet.  Constance Cochran, who wrote the first TaleSpin fan-fiction I ever read, "Tail Winds", a story I still consider one of the best out there and finally, David Kimble for all of his patience in trying to help me get my stories on here in the first place.  Whew, (not to mention all of the other great TaleSpin fans and writers out there, thanks guys!!)

E-Mail: Alyson Terry


"Mind Over Matter" Chapter Two

 

This story is dedicated to all the wonderful people who brought the characters of TaleSpin to life.  Ed Gilbert, R.J. Williams (and Alan Roberts), Sally Struthers, Jaina Michaels, Micheal Gough, Lorenzo Music, Jack Angel, Pat Fraley, with many others, and of course the incredible, Jim Cummings.  The man's talent  is a marvel.

 

Pt 2- Novelization of "Idol Rich"- all credit is given to any and all individuals who created this episode, it's one of my favorites.  No financial gain was made through this story, (yeah right, like I get paid to have this much fun)  If I need to give any recognition where it is due, please let me know and I will gladly do it.

 

Finally, "Mind Over Matter" is dedicated to all of my TaleSpin friends out there.  Your support has been marvelous and the range of talents that is out there among everyone is astounding.  Keep up the good work everyone and this one's just  for you.


 

  Once again, all credit for Part 2- "Mind Over Matter"- Novelization of "The Idol Rich" is given to the creators of TaleSpin and the coordinators of this episode in particular.  Bruce Talkington, Carter Crocker and Libby Hinson, thank you!  (And thanks, Greg, for that information).  I took some freedoms with several scenes, nothing taken away, just some additions and filling in the blanks, along with trying to get inside the character's heads.

Pt. 2 is dedicated to two individuals in particular.  Dan Green and Staci (Windsurfer) Faulkenberry, the two pioneers with novelizations.  Both have been very supportive, have great talent and my sincerest thanks goes out to both for blazing the trail which I will humbly attempt to follow.  Hope I can do them justice.- Aly

 


February 4, 1937

 

    Baloo slumped down in the easy chair.  He wasn't sure, but he thought that every single bone in his body ached, that every single muscle was sore and if he had to pick up or drop off one more package, sign one more form, or lift one more box, he'd have a physical and mental breakdown.

 

*I _hate_ this* was the ony thought that managed to get through the tired pilot's brain before he checked the clock, 7:48.  It was winter, already dark outside, and the Cape Suzette substitute for snow was lightly falling.

 

Kit, nestled in the crook of the bear's arm, was also wiped out, a testimony to the exhausting day.  The navigator was sound asleep, mouth slightly open, breathing even.  Baloo glanced at the cub and a little of his own fatigue eased as he lightly moved the boy into a more comfortable position, holding Kit's head gently against his chest for a moment.  Kit didn't stir.

 

Baloo looked into the darkened corner and thought back to only two weekends ago, when he'd been foolish enough to allow the boy to accompany him on a dangerous hunt.  The fact that Baloo hadn't known it would be dangerous when it had begun did nothing to ease his heavy responsibility.

 

*What if Kit had been hurt in that cave in.....?*  Baloo pushed the sickening thought out of his tired brain and gently took Kit's cap off, resting his large hand on the boy's small head.  *It sure don't take much* the pilot thought, *just one breath, one second and he'd be gone*  Baloo's previous exhaustion was forgotten as he stared at the small cub who was such a big part of his life.  Was his life....

 

The boy's peaceful expression melted the bear's heart as he thought, also, about how upset Kit had been after getting involved in a fight with a bully from school, hurting someone, even if the other boy had probably deserved it.

 

*Got such a big heart, that kid.  Don't see _how_, but.....he's a wonder, a real wonder*  Baloo felt the word just didn't quite suffice.

 

Another source of insecurity, the gray bear felt unequal to the task of giving advice to the cub.  About school, about the boy's problems, about, well, nearly anything.  How could he possibly be a guiding force in this bright young man's future?

 

Baloo sometimes felt ready to break apart with the pressure of trying to hold Kit up, protect him against the dangers out there, protect him against himself if needs be.

 

The last thing Baloo saw was his navigator's small smile as the pilot hugged him close and closed his eyes for some well-deserved sleep.

 

February 5- 1937

 

    "I...don't.....think.....I.....can....take....this....anymore.....Kit-boy."  Baloo said taking one, slow, drawn-out step after another and finally reaching the door of Higher for Hire, which was where Kit, whose youthful recovery from yesterday's exertions made today that much easier for him, had been dragging the large bear.

 

If possible, Baloo was even more beat than the day before, his exhaustion made worse when he remembered that Rebecca had reminded him before leaving on that day's *20th?.....30th?....more'n that?* run that a package had to be delivered to a prominent client downtown and some forms returned that night.

 

"Come on Papa Bear!"  Kit's sympathy for his partner was real but influenced by his own seemingly bound-less energy.  The boy's eyes twinkled, Baloo smiled.  Baloo _always_ smiled when Kit looked at him like that.

 

"One more, then I guess it's beddy-bye?"

 

Baloo gave a heart-felt groan.  "One!  Who cares if it's a hundred?  I'm still bushed!"

 

Kit pushed open the door, still practically holding the large bear up as both stumbled in.  Rebecca was tearing around the office, finishing up ten things at once while trying to put on her coat, organize her briefcase and hand a wrapped package to Baloo, who looked ready to topple over, taking Kit with him.

 

"Oh good...you boy's are back, thanks a million, gotta run."  Rebecca started out the door, completely flustered as Kit, with only the greatest of coordination, managed to hold Baloo up, hold one coat-sleeve for Ms. Cunningham to slip into and take the package from her.

 

Rebecca stood still for one nanosecond to smile gratefully at him and kissed both Kit and Baloo on the forehead before rushing out the door.  "Address is on the package!"  came her faint voice as she stepped into a cab and was gone.

 

Even Baloo looked slightly alive after that and grinned as Kit blushed deeply and fidgeted.

 

"Umph...thanks kiddo!"  Baloo stood up straight and stretched.  Kit winced as he heard the large pilot's back pop and watched almost impatiently as Baloo sat down and made himself comfortable.

 

"Papa Bear, don't you think we should drop this thing off before taking a nap?"  Kit glanced sharply at the bear who already looked drowsy.

 

"Sure Kit...in one sec..." and Baloo was asleep before knowing what hit him.  Rolling his eyes, Kit walked over to nudge his partner awake.  He stopped when he saw the circles under Baloo's eyes, thought the better of what he was about to do, and scribbled the pilot a note before heading off on his errand, alone.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

*All that and she wasn't even there!*  Kit thought disgustedly as he made his way back home through the darkened streets of Cape Suzette.  He didn't want to act like a baby, but the boy wished suddenly for Baloo's comforting person to be there with him, just so he wouldn't feel so alone.

 

Kit had felt less alone and even less lonely each day he had spent living at Higher for Hire.  Thinking of the pilot, the cub checked his watch.  *9:25, Baloo's gonna be mad*

 

The navigator had known the large bear would worry if he went out late anywhere by himself, but Kit just hadn't had the heart to wake Baloo up.

 

He was reconsidering his choice after he had gotten a little turned around trying to find the address, unusual for him, and had discovered that no one was there to make the exchange.

 

Already about an hour behind the schedule he had set for himself to get back before Baloo set out after him, Kit looked down a few sidestreets, pondered the walk to the docks and started to make his way down one in particular.

 

*Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.*  the boy thought, uneasy about this unfamiliar part of the city and the dimly-lit sidewalk.

 

He unconsciously spoke his thoughts out loud as he continued to walk.  "Next time I decide to take a shortcut, I won't!  Uh, oh!"  Kit was startled when two large individuals stepped in front of him.  The boy backed up and turned to run in the other direction, not liking the expression or appearance of them.

 

He stopped again when he spotted another thug, the largest of the three and obviously the leader, standing with his back against the wall.

 

"Hiya shrimp," the bully said, flipping a coin and catching it with a brisk snap of his wrist.  "Maybe you didn't know it, but there's a toll for passin' through our territory."  He roughly jabbed a finger at the cub's chest.

 

Kit backed away as the larger teenager stepped closer, the navigator of the Sea Duck definitely didn't like where this was going, especially when he found himself surrounded by the other gang members.

 

The leader leaned over the smaller boy with a smirk, "And it's _payday_" he finished.

 

The other cub knew he was quick enough to dodge these punks, but....*_Don't be afraid to defend yerself, Lil' Britches_*  Kit thought he understood what this was, self-defense.  With more courage than he felt the boy said, "Oh yeah?  Well come and get it, big mouth."

 

Outnumbered and out of options, the navigator thought he finally realized, with the first painful blows, the benefits of fighting and the advantages of walking away.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

*I'm gonna _strangle_ that kid!!*  Baloo was pacing, furious, Kit's crumpled note in one hand.

 

The pilot had awakened, disoriented, to find Kit gone and a small note the only clue as to where he'd run off to.  A bad situation anytime, it was that much worse imagining a 12 year old, no matter how resourceful, walking across town alone at night.

 

The hard knot in Baloo's stomach twisted as he thrust his cap on his head and yanked open the door with a great deal of energy, to start after the boy.

 

*No, first I'll ground him, give him a lecture that'll pin his ears back, tie him to a chair if that's what it takes fer him to follow orders, _then_ I'll strangle him.*  The gray bear was saved the trouble.

 

Standing in the doorway, swaying slightly on his feet with bruises, scratches and a beauty of a black eye, was a very sore and very angry looking Kit.

 

Baloo stared open-mouthed for a moment, all of his previous anger/fear changed to concern with a blink of an eye.

 

"Kit!"  Kit glanced at the bear, completely enraged and looking near breaking point with all of his emotions.  He felt slightly better as Baloo quickly scooted him inside and sat him down in the large easy chair.

 

"Kit-boy?!"  Baloo almost looked shocked as he checked to see if the boy had any broken bones or other visible problems.

 

The scowl on Kit's face deepened as he jerked away from the pilot and wrapped his arms around his knees.

 

"Uh...what happened kiddo?"  Baloo placed his hand on Kit's back, trying to figure out just what could have caused all of this.  "Kit!  Talk to me, what happened?!"  the forcefullness of the bear's voice finally provoked Kit to look at him, but still the boy was silent.

 

Baloo tried again, "Lil' Britches, we'll talk about how stupid a stunt going off like that was, later!"  The bear smacked Kit's note against Becky's desk loudly.  "Fer now, I want to know what's goin' on!"

 

Baloo stopped suddenly when he saw the misshapen piece of metal beside the boy.  It _looked_ relatively familiar.  *Kit's airfoil!...Oh no....*

 

Kit glared at Baloo, who looked taken back.  "That's not all they did," the boy said, once again showing his uncanny conncection to the large bear's thoughts, "I just tried to stand up for myself.....and...."

 

Kit's shoulders were hunched up and his anger made him shake.  He finally blurted out what had happened, then he leaned back into the chair, arms folded, bottom lip sticking out.

 

Baloo, looking at the boy, felt a rushing sensation of guilt, a common emotion at times between him and Kit.  *I should'na told him what I did, filled his head with that garbage*  Baloo looked at the navigator's purple and blue eye and turned to rummage through some cupboards, finally finding what he was looking for.

 

He turned to place the ice compress on Kit's head, thoughts racing.  He didn't care about how Kit felt about cowardice or not sticking up for himself.  To the pilot, no force on earth was strong enough to justify Kit getting hurt..

 

Baloo was beginning to get an idea.  If he had to start again, backpedal if you will, then he would.  _This_ time, however, he would try to convince himself as well, for the boy's sake.

 

Kit remained sitting, still furious, arms crossed.  Baloo formed his next words carefully.  "Listen Lil' Britches, what I want to know, is why you decided to take on those street pirates by yerself?  I thought you were smarter than that!"  The bear dropped some ice cubes into the compress and placed it on the Kit's head.

 

If his words had been an attempt to get a response from the navigator, he had succeeded.  "Those nose-wipes _robbed_ me!"  Kit said, brushing one sleeve against his nose for emphasis.

 

"They grabbed my air-foil!  And when they couldn't figure out what it was, they _wrecked_ it!"  Kit handed his sorry excuse for a board over to the sympathetic bear.

 

So that was the heart of it, Baloo had suspected as much.  He gently took the foil and looked it over.  "We-el now, it'll never play the violin again, but I think Wildcat can fix it up for ya."

 

"That's _not_ the point!"  Kit jumped up, enraged again and threw the ice compress on the floor.  "It was mine! And they had no right to take it" With that, the boy jumped to the floor, fists clenched

 

Same problem as before, it seemed to Baloo, but this time trying to fix the injustice had backfired.  The gray bear calmly picked up the compress and started over.

 

"When the bad guys start using their muscle, you've gotta start usin' yer head"  He turned Kit to face him and decided to try an object lesson here.  "Now, pretend I'm six guys."

 

Kit just looked at him.  "Hey kid, nice hat!"  Baloo started in a tough-guy voice, grabbing the mistreated compress once again from off of Kit's head.  "Now, whaddya gonna do about it?"

 

This was perhaps the wrong time to provoke Kit, who, still steaming, immediately began taking some swings at Baloo's soft belly.

 

Baloo lightly held him back, discouraged.  The pilot cluckd his tongue, saying the first word that came to his mind, "Pa-thetic, yer not listenin' son!"  He _had_ to get through to the boy.

 

"When yer out-muscled ya gotta out-think 'em!  Smart, sub-tile and trickier'n a bathtub full of jello, got it?"

 

"Uh...I _think_ so"  Kit's expression said otherwise.

 

"So, you think you can do somethin' about this?" the bear wanted to finish his lesson.  Kit saw his window and decided to play along.

 

"Why no...."  the boy's voice was suddenly timid, "but I'll bet that policeman can!"

 

"Uh...what cop?"  Baloo turned around just as Kit literally pulled the rug out from underneath him.  "Hey-ey!!"  Baloo yelled, flipping head over heels and landing with a painful _umph_ on his back.

 

Kit caught the compress quickly and placed it over Baloo's eyes.  "By George," the pilot said chuckling, "I think he's got it."

 

Kit was finally starting to simmer down.  "Whaddya say me an' you go teach those street goons a lesson?"  The cub helped Baloo to a sitting position then jumped on to the large bear's lap.

 

Baloo, who had wanted to wait to tell Kit his plan, but not anticipating any of this, decided that now was as good a time as any.  "We can't waste time on those nobodys, there are more important things on our agenda!"

 

Kit was confused, then inspiration struck, "Yeah like...."  Baloo clapped a hand over the boy's mouth.  *Treasure hunt* Kit finished in his head.

 

"Shh..."  *Who does he think is going to hear me?*  "Treasure, a lost idol, worth millions!"  the pilot's voice was low and mysterious, but Kit didn't exactly feel awe-struck, having heard all of this before.

 

"Again?!  Rebecca will never go for it Baloo!"   Especially not so soon after their last one.  *He was just lucky getting time off to go before!*

 

"Now you just leave 'ol Becky to me.  I've got the _perfect_ story"  Kit's doubts showed as he looked at the gray bear.  *Same old, same old.*

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

Baloo stood fidgeting in front of Rebecca's desk.  Kit, standing off to the side, arms folded, had a skeptical expression as he watched the gray bear stutter and stumble in an effort to win their boss over.

 

That lady wasn't making it easy for the pilot as obviously Rebecca wasn't in as charitable mood as before.  Kit was getting a strange sense of deja vu as Baloo quickly explained his poor relative's physical condition.  When his boss didn't reply, the bear began to get the faintest sense that maybe she didn't believe him.

 

He started again.  "Uh...so you see, Rebecca, this sick aunt of mine really needs my help and I thought..."

 

"What was this sick aunt's name again, Baloo?"  Rebecca looked up from studying her fingernails, ready to grill the pilot _and_ his story.  *He loses points for lack of creativity*  she thought with an inward smirk.

 

"Uh...um.. Milly!  Yeah, that's it, Aunt Milly!"

 

*Who does he think he's fooling?*  Out loud, Rebecca simply said, "Milly, heh...that makes twenty-three sick aunts in the last six months"

 

*Ms. Cunningham didn't even check her notes* Kit thought, glancing at Baloo who knew he was caught, but continued.

 

"Well, ya see, Pop's side of the family was never very healthy."

 

"It's another treasure hunt, isn't it?"  Rebecca didn't think she could take any more of this.  *One more time, then he's gonna squirm*  "Weeell, you've earned some time off, so, go get it out of your system, " she waved her hand as the pilot and navigator headed out the door.

 

Baloo was surprised at Rebecca's lack of criticism.  His surprise didn't last long.  "But be ready for a great big _I told you so_ when you come back."

 

Her smug tone irritated the large bear who snapped, "The only reason I'll be comin' back is for the Sea Duck's pink slip!"

 

Rebecca wasn't in the mood to let his comments get under her skin.  "Have a nice _treasure_ hunt.  Don't hurt yourself carrying all that loot, he, heh, he"

 

The businesslady's tone was a tad sarcastic as she picked up her paper, mentally celebrating another victory over her wily employee.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

"Alright!  A treasure hunt!!"  Kit's excitement was apparent in his voice.  *This is going to be even better than the last time*

 

"Y'know, people have been looking for this lost idol for years and years!"  the boy glanced at his friend who had a rather determined look on his face.

 

"The only reason that do-hickey is still on the loose, is because 'ol Papa Bear's never tried his luck!"  With great ease, Baloo manuevered the yellow sea-plane over the water to dock in his usual spot at Louie's.

 

"But since the sultan of Kafoolzalem has offered a thirteen million torbit reward, that little baby's not gonna be lonesome much longer!"

 

Kit's eyes were huge.  "Thirteen million torbits!!  Every treasure hunter in the world's gonna be after that"

 

Baloo sometimes found it hard to swallow the fact that Kit had a lot more common sense than he himself possessed.  *Wish he'd just let go of things fer once!*

 

"Come on Kit-boy!  How many treasure hunters of 'ol Baloo's caliber can there be?"   Kit glanced at the small crowd walking just in front of them, then felt his jaw drop when he saw Louie's place nearly transformed and packed with hopefuls, ready to try their luck.

 

Baloo looked distinctly uncomfortable.  "I give up Baloo, how many _can_ there be?"

 

"Hey, little boy Baloo!"  a cheery, familiar voice sang out.  Kit and the large bear looked over.  "Whaddya hear, whaddya say man?"

 

The orangutan waved at the two, who made their way through the crowded room to stand in front of the bar.  "Louie 'ol buddy!  Hey, what are all these yahoos doin' here?"

 

Louie wiped a glass held in one foot and looked at his friend, knowingly.  "Same thing you are, I've made my place, official Idol Hunting Headquarters."

 

Baloo was amused at the ape's eagerness to cash in nearly anywhere he could.  *His ideas are almost as great as some of mine*  "Hey, hey, alright inn-keeper!  You got any fresh info for us _fortune_ hunters?"

 

Baloo glanced at Louie out of the corner of his eye.  The bartender looked thoughtful.  "Well, nothin' that's not as old as the legend.  ~The idol is in the land of 1001 lakes, right under your nose!~"

 

The navigator and pilot looked at each other, mystified.  "Right under your nose, " Kit repeated, "what's that supposed to mean?"

 

Just as Louie was about to answer the cub, the doors slammed open.  In walked two figures wearing the same uniform, well-known amongst everyone in the room.

 

"Thembrians!!"  Kit explained startled.

 

Louie didn't even try to control the condenscending tone of his voice as the trio recognized the shortest warthog of the bunch.  "Oh, wonder what his shortness is doin' here?"

 

Two massive guards marched through the doors behind the Colonel and Sergeant.  Having recieved some _difficult_ instructions from the High Marshall regarding the stability of his glorious homeland, the Colonel had racked his mind, trying to come up with some ideas to save his own skin.

 

Not an easy task, considering how rusty he was with original thinking or anything comparable to it.  Finally, after being handed a subtle, reminder, to complete the task at hand, the Colonel had done some research into the most well-known reward posted.

 

The Idol for the Sultan of Kafoolzalem, located in the backward region of 1001 lakes.  If Spigot could snatch the idol out from under these pitiful mercenaries, Thembria could once again command respect, having one of the most desired artifacts known in it's possession.

 

Following the direction of these thoughts, the small Colonel had ended up at this ramshackle dive the local pilots called Louie's.  If any place was right to pick up a clue or information from anyone who could _possibly_ know more than him, this popular spot was it.

 

*All's fair...*  the Colonel scowled at the crowd and waved his whip at the nearest table.  His guard complied, setting the tiny warthog on the flat surface, much to the dismay of the previous inhabitants.

 

To the great enjoyment of the crowd, however, the guard set the officer down right in someone's drink.  Disgusted, Spigot tried to shake it off in vain.

 

"_I_ am Colonel Thpigot!  Perhapth you've heard of me?"  The silence irritated the warthog.  *Obviously these peasants don't know who they're dealing with.*

 

"I am the stuff of your wortht nightmareth!"  he said, waving his arms threateningly.  The inhabitants of Louie's seemed less than worried, especially when the Colonel seemed unable to shake off his new found footwear.

 

"I am hear to claim that idol for the glory of my mommy-land, Thembria!"  The two guards saluted on cue.  Spigot, seemingly satisfied, continued.

 

"You are all wasting your time, the idol ith mine!  Anyone who cometh between me and what I want, will be crushed mercilessly beneath my..."  Spigot stopped as Baloo, annoyed at the warthog's superior attitude, commented to Kit and Louie under his breath.

 

"The only reason Spigot could find anything, is because he's closer to the ground...ooops!"

 

If looks could kill, the small Colonel would have struck the bear down right there.  He continued scowling as the two huge bodyguards hoisted the pilot upside-down.

 

Kit and Louie looked on in astonishment as Spigot walked over to the bear, for once having the ability to see eye to eye.

 

The Colonel stared at Baloo for a moment, recognition finally coming to the warthog.  "Ah, Baloo.  What are you doing here?  Hunting idolth?!"  Spigot's voice rose in accusation.

 

The large pilot didn't even break a sweat as he replied, "Nah, I ordered a three bean salad an' I only got two! Just hangin' around, waitin' for the other one to show up."

 

The gray bear's non-chalant tone infuriated the Colonel, *Hmm, let's see if we can't make an example of this trouble-maker.*

 

"The only thing you'll have to wait for now ith the _wrath_ of Spigot!  And you won't have to wait long!"  the Colonel chuckled sadistically, but his intended victim, it seemed, had stopped paying attention.

 

Baloo stared at the map behind the tiny warthog, his eyes growing huge as he finally noticed something that no one had bothered to see from his angle.  "Right under your nose!!"  the pilot said, barely audible.

 

The Colonel, catching the strange phrase, glared at the bear suspiciously.  "What did you thay?"

 

"Never mind what he said, short-stop"  Louie cut in, his tone angry, tired of  the disruption caused by these smug Thembrians to his brilliant scheme, not to mention the treatment of his oldest friend.

 

"This is _my_ bar, an' it's what I say that counts, now drop that bear!!"  the ape finished, his voice up to a shout.

 

The two guards holding the pilot quickly dropped him, possibly influenced by Louie's two new bouncers, necessary with the steady stream of pirates, brawls and neer-do-wells.

 

"Thanks Louie,"  Baloo said weakly, holding his sore head, "I think"

 

Kit helped the large bear to his feet, concerned, but the pilot was too galvanized from his new found knowledge to think of his misused head.  He patted the boy, winked at him and motioned to the doors.

 

Kit, still not quite sure what had happened, smiled back at his friend and both began walking out.  Despite his good mood or maybe because of it, Baloo couldn't help firing a few more remarks in the tiny officer's direction.

 

"I'll stop by for a _short_ visit, Spiggy, if I'm ever _down_ your way!"

 

Dunder and the Colonel watched the two bear's make their way to the plane, the large pilot's previous remark remaining in Spigot's head, unforgotten.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

The large, drab, government-owned plane slowly made it's way away from the tropical island, the Colonel inside, staring at the map of the known region of 1001 lakes.

 

*What did that infernal bear mean?  Right under your nose, _what's_ right...*

 

"Dunder!"  Spigot yelled into his microphone.  "Do you have that yellow plane thpotted?"

 

"Yes, sir,"  Dunder's timid voice came back.  "Um...sir, how do you know they're gonna find the idol?"

 

"Call it a thuthpicioun,"  the Colonel's face darkened, "and who are you to quethtion anything?"

 

"Sorry," came the repentant reply.

 

"Jutht keep following them, that'th an order!"  *He knows, he _has_ to know*

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

Baloo manuevered the Sea Duck into a beautiful double roll, lightly skimming the top of the waves before straightening the plane out and following Kit's directions to the forested, harzadous area of 1001 lakes.

 

"Yahooey!"  the pilot yelled, ecstatic.  Kit hung on and looked at the large bear with happiness and admiration in his eyes.

 

"What's gotten into you Papa Bear?"  the boy said, a bit of laughter in his voice.

 

"I _know_ what's under my nose!"

 

Kit looked at the bear in disbelief.  "You know where the idol is?"

 

"Hope to kiss a rhino I do!"  Baloo automatically turned the sea-plane upside-down.  Kit, strapped in, map opened to the desired area, looked at the pilot again.

 

"Now, look at the map, look at Moose Lake."  Kit complied, studying it.

 

Baloo realized his mistake.  "No!  Hold the map right side up."

 

Flipping the map, the navigator's sharp eyes picked out what Baloo had seen earlier.

 

"Hey, I see it!  Those aren't antlers, it's a moustache!!"  Obviously Baloo's excitement was contagious.  "By George, I think he's got it"  Kit said as Baloo grinned at him, both unaware of the eyes that had never left the yellow plane, and unaware of the problems that were already under way.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 In no time at all, the Sea Duck quickly began to pass over the many lakes where the search for the idol would begin.

 

Kit began stating names of every body of water the duo flew over, until...  "Arthur Lake, Veronica Lake.....there it is, Moose Lake!"

 

Baloo's confidence showed as he said, "All we have to do is land and get _our_ idol"  Kit smiled at the _our_ but couldn't quite believe that this would be a touch and go operation.  Things were rarely that easy where treasure hunts were concerned.

 

The cub's doubts were confirmed as he stared at the surface of Moose Lake.  *Sure doesn't look natural*  "The water looks funny"  Kit glanced at Baloo who, looking for a place to land the Duck, shrugged off his navigator's warning.

 

"Aw, water's water.  We'll land _east_ of the nostril."  The bear began bringing the plane down, expecting a smooth landing.

 

It was smooth all right, as the sea-plane immediately began sliding out of control on the lake's surface.  "It's like trying to land on a banana peel!"  Baloo yelled, struggling with the Sea Duck, attempting to keep her straight.

 

"Land ho!!"  Kit yelled, pointing out the window.  The plane rushed up to the island with terrifying speed.  The pilot and navigator simply hung on as the Duck finally made contact with solid earth and began flipping over and over, until, thankfully, miraculously, slamming into the water again.

 

The sea-plane pulled forward like a slingshot, before being yanked back into place.  Kit and Baloo both slumped in their seats, exhausted and hoarse from screaming through the whole ordeal.

 

After checking to see if the boy was alright, Baloo let out a breath and said sheepishly, "Like I said, we'll land _west_ of the nostril."

 

The look Kit gave him could've melted ice in zero-degree weather.  Baloo rubbed his head wearily.  "The gear?"  the large bear said simply.

 

Kit was already in the cargo hold, struggling with the raft and his thoughts.  *How do I let myself be talked into these things?*

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

Kit's former doubts seemed microscopic in comparison to the agitation he was experiencing now as the navigator struggled to paddle through the filthy body of water.

 

"No wonder it was slippery!" the boy gasped, arms already tired from the losing struggle with the lake, "this lagoon's mostly oily-sludge!"

 

"Just keep paddlin' Kit,"  Baloo panted encouragingly, "once we hit that island, we'll be on _easy_ street."

 

The island was indeed beautiful, exotic, with bird-calls sounding from every corner, but in any profile used, _easy_ would not have been the best word.

 

*He gets the ideas, _we_ do the work*  Kit was glad to be a part of this partnership, always in his heart, but sometimes he would've liked to look at a job description.

 

"Easy street, huh?  I'd settle for a nice _path_"

 

Baloo was, amazingly, still optimistic.  "When we get that idol, you can buy yourself a highway to play with."  No sooner had the large bear spoken when the path, difficult to follow in the first place, dropped completely out of sight.

 

The two treasure-seekers happened to drop with it, both yelling in surprise until finally coming to a painful meeting with the ground.

 

Taking a quick look around them, Baloo, out of breath, said in relief, "We made it, we should be right under the nose."

 

Kit, staring at the dismal place, took in it's features, a very peculiar-looking waterfall, dead, dying or scraggly trees and no vegetation.

 

What struck the boy the most was the pool of bubbling liquid.  He watched curiously as one bubble began to slowly grow.  He walked over to it.

 

Baloo, who'd been watching the same object in suspicion, quickly became alarmed when he saw Kit reach out to touch it.

 

"I wonder what happens when....oops!"  With incredible speed the pilot pulled the young cub back just in time, as the bubble burst and flames erupted.

 

Kit, startled, looked gratefully at the large bear, who still appeared tensed up at the close call.  "Thanks Baloo"

 

"No trouble, Lil' Britches,"  Baloo said warmly, looking at the boy, "just, never trust a bubble you don't blow yerself."

 

*More advice* Kit thought.  *Have to remember that one*

 

"Now,"  the bear put an arm around the navigator's shoulders, "let's find that overgrown paperweight and get outta here!"

 

The two looked anxiously at each other when both had examined the sinister-looking box, nearby.  "Do you think it's....booby-trapped?"  Kit asked, knowing full-well the answer.

 

Baloo calmly picked up a stick and chuckled, "Does a bear sleep in the woods?  But _this_ booby's too smart for it."

 

With a quick push the lid slid into the hazardous pool, another spurt of flames rising up when it hit.  Kit and Baloo shielded their faces against the eruption and both looked at the hideous carving that was now theirs.

 

"What'd I tell ya?"  the gray bear said smugly.  If Baloo had been planning ahead with his actions before, it didn't show now when he grabbed the idol suddenly, only noticing the attached rope after it was too late.

 

"Oops"  Both watched the trap set into motion for one second before rushing away from the box, Baloo detaching the idol, easily.

 

A small hatch opened in the trunk of the closest tree and a cannon ball came tumbling out, prompting another hatch to open in the soft ground.  A crossbow appeared, shooting an arrow and hitting the planned target, a rope placed against the trunk of _another_ nearby tree,  with amazing accuracy.

 

The other ropes that were still moving the trap along it's course dropped a second,  extremely heavy cannonball directly onto the large bear's head.

 

"Oww!"  Baloo yelled out in pain, before remarking unsteadily, "Well, that wasn't so bad."

 

Kit seemed relieved for a moment before realizing the distraction.  "Look out!!" he yelled, grabbing Baloo's hand and yanking the bear out of the path of a falling cage, which crashed noisily, but missed the pilot.

 

Baloo looked gratefully at the boy and held up the idol.  "We got it Lil' Britches!" the bear put an arm around the cub, "and no two people deserve it more."

 

"Yes!"  a third voice called out a short distance away.  The pilot and navigator turned in surprise.  Spigot, Dunder and the two soldiers glared at the pair.

 

"And it's so very thad, you won't be able to keep it!"  the Colonel's domineering tone and the foreboding laughter of the Thembrians did not point towards a successful ending to this hunt.

 

The bear and cub looked at each other.  *I think we're in trouble*

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

Once again, Kit's earlier thought seemed like an understatement.  The cage that had almost come down on Baloo seemed destined to cause the pair grief as the two, huge Thembrian guards began hoisting Kit and Baloo over the treacherous lake.

 

Baloo's fury showed as he snapped, "Now _listen_ Spiggy.  It isn't right you jitter-bugging in here and swiping that thingy!"

 

Spigot was too relieved at holding the answer to his problems to pay the large bear much mind.  He looked up and smirked.  *Time to show these soft-bellied outsiders what Thembrians do to those who step in their paths*

 

"Ah, but it ith right you silly Baloo.  Becauthe might maketh right, and _I_ have the might!"

 

Kit, beyond irritated at the puny officer's superior stance spoke up.  "How did you find us anyway?!"

 

Again, Spigot let out that unpleasant laugh.  "I thimply examined the clueth and my thintulating intellect deciphered where the idol wath hidden."

 

Sergeant Dunder, always in the mood to be helpful, spoke up himself.  "Yeah, an' then we followed ya!"

 

The Colonel's expression darkened.  *Moron!* he thought, taking off his hat and swiping at the other officer.  "Who asked you?!"  Dunder realized his mistake, "Sorry, Colonel!"

 

One guard, keeping a close eye on the pool, noticed another potentially dangerous bubble beginning to form under the two bears.  He quickly tapped the Colonel on the shoulder, who snapped, "What _is_ it?"

 

One motion to the pool and the tiny warthog smiled sadistically.  "Ah, yes.  It's time we departed, and on the way home we'll stop and flaunt my triumph...at Louie's."

 

The infuriated Baloo shook his fist at the Colonel and growled, "Just wait 'till I get my hands on you!!"  An idle threat, and the pilot knew it.

 

Spigot merely sneered at the pair, "I would love to continue this delightful converthation, but I hate the thmell of scorched fur, farewell."  Again, the group laughed ruthlessly and the Thembrians turned to re-blaze the way back to their aircraft.

 

*Two examples, then these weaklings will know who really has the power*  The Colonel's eyes glinted maliciously.

 

Dunder, thankfully a pretty sorry excuse for a Thembrian officer, turned to stare at the two uneasily.  Something deep within him, long since buried for the sake of self-preservation gave him a twinge and he sighed sadly.  Not now, but maybe someday, he'd be able to stand up to the Colonel, ..but, of course, only when he pulled stunts like this.

 

*Maybe never* the timid Sergeant left his opportunity back with the pilot and navigator of the Sea Duck.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

Meanwhile, the boy and the large bear were staring worriedly at the growing bubble, both knowing that they had precious little time before meeting with a rather uncomfortable fate.

 

"I don't suppose you have a knife?"  Kit looked at Baloo without much hope in his eyes.

 

"Sorry, Kit" the bear sounded downcast and looked even more so, "the closest thing I got is a shoulder blade."

 

Kit quickly measured the narrow openings of the cage and began to work his way determinedly through it.  The already unstable contraption began to move.  Baloo glanced at the boy in surprise.

 

"Whoa! Hey, you're rocking the boat!"  the pilot started uncomfortably, seeing the cub that close to taking a swim in the death-trap below them.

 

"I...._think_ I can! Uh....!" with a final push, Kit was on the outside.

 

Baloo watched proudly, "Atta boy!"

 

Without hesitating, the navigator began to swing the cage to the best of his abilities.  Pain-stakingly slow, the cage's momentum began to bring the pair out of the path of the bubble, but it wasn't enough to keep them there.

 

Frustrated, Kit continued to try for a branch that seemed so close, but was still too far to help them.  "Come on! Come on!"  Still no success, the boy grasped once again, missed once again.

 

"Oh...I can't reach!"  Baloo was struck with an idea.  He reached through the bars, grabbing Kit's waist and hoisted the cub out.

 

"You can't, but _we_ can!!"  Kit grinned at the pilot, "Yeah"

 

The partner's effort paid off as the boy grabbed onto the branch with both hands and held on.  "I got it!"

 

Baloo looked nervously at the huge bubble. *One more second*

 

Kit's fingers were beginning to slip.  "Hang on buddy!" the large bear said to his navigator.  "I can't hold on much longer!!" Kit's hands couldn't take much more of this punishment.

 

*Oh man, this is it!*  Baloo yelled pleadingly at the boy, "Don't let...go!"  On cue the bubble broke, releasing a pent-up burst of flames which made contact with the rope holding the pilot's prison.

 

With a snap, the burned line gave way and the cage collapsed on the ground, Baloo with it.

 

"Baloo!" Kit said, frightened when he saw his friend slumped on the ground.  He swung down to help the bear.

 

"Baloo, are you alright?"  The pilot looked at the expression of fear on the boy's face and felt a rush of pride and gratitude.

 

"Whew!  That's what I call usin' yer head.  Now, if we could just get you to use _my_ head a little more gently."  The gray bear's arm was around Kit, who knew that Baloo would be okay if he could joke a bit.

 

"Now, let's go get our idol back."  Glaring, Baloo put his cap back on and started making his way back to the Sea Duck, Kit close behind.

 

The boy, although safe beside Baloo in the plane, found himself wondering if it would be that easy.  Nothing in life ever seemed to be.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

 Louie was beginning to get a little annoyed.  Ever since building this ramshackle place he enjoyed calling his own, the ape had been forced to deal with unpleasant customers who sometimes brought even more unpleasant circumstances.

 

But after listening to this puny braggart go on for much too long than was necessary, the bartender was ready to call it quits.  None of this suppressed emotion was apparent on his face, however, as he leaned back against the bar, coolly sipping a homemade favorite.

 

The small warthog didn't seem to notice that he was losing his audience.  "And tho _I_, the irreprethibile Thpigot have once again dithplayed inherent thuperiority and inthurmountable will!"  the Colonel concluded his long-winded tale, standing on a table in the center of the room, holding his, hard-earned, trophy.

 

Louie wasn't buying it.  The orangutan casually placed an elbow on the bar and gazed at the small officer.  "So what's a big-shot like you gonna do with that bodacious reward?"  he asked, his tone not exactly matching his words.

 

"Reward?!"  feigned innocence crept into Spigot's voice, "thith achievement wath for the glory of Thembria!  Where the idol will be dithplayed ath a trophy to _my_ greatness!"

 

"The only place that idol's goin' is back in _my_ hands!"  the room turned in surprise at the intrusion.  Louie looked at the pilot and navigator, who both appeared tired and scuffed up.

 

Fleetingly, the bartender wondered what could have happened to the two, especially Baloo, who had that dangerous glint in his eye that the red ape had long ago learned to recognize.

 

The large bear stormed over to Colonel Spigot, who suddenly looked ill-at-ease but clutched at the idol possessively.  "But I found it!"

 

"You stole it!" the pilot pointed an accusing finger at Spigot.

 

"I _found_ it," the Colonel whined, slapping Baloo's hand away.  "Of courthe you were holding it at the time, but you proved no match for Thpigot!  The might that maketh right"

 

The crowd has ceased to listen after the first phrase and glared at the tiny Thembrian who went on the defensive.  Baloo's temper went over the edge.  *No time for beatin' around the bush* the pilot thought,  only wanting to take this pompous wind-bag down a bit.

 

"The only right you should worry about is mine! And my left, too"  the bear leaned over the smaller officer, coming nose to nose.  "Now, are you gonna give me back that idol, or are we gonna have trouble?!"

 

Spigot looked at Baloo smugly as his two hulking bodyguards wasted no time picking the bear up and heaving him out the door.

 

Kit, already uneasy about this whole confrontation, ducked as Baloo went flying.  All of the pilot's earlier advice concerning brains over brawn could certainly be applied here, so why wasn't Baloo following through?

 

The boy looked back to see if his friend was alright, tired of the large bear giving him the double standard.  It was time to see if Baloo's advice was worth anything because Kit was listening.

 

*Even if Baloo sometimes doesn't return the favor*  "Uh...Baloo," the cub began, only to be interrupted by the infuriated and now embarrased pilot.

 

"Not now Kit," he said firmly, "I got munchins to munch."  The navigator's eyes widened before he covered them, not wanting to watch as the gray bear was once again thrown through the door by the larger Thembrians.

 

Also watching as Baloo got the tar beat out of him, Louie became concerned.  *Can't beat him for not givin' up, though* the orangutan eyed the two huge warthogs nervously.  *Well, then again, maybe you can*

 

Kit was still standing in the doorway, wincing as Baloo painfully got to his feet again.  *Enough was enough!*

 

"Baloo, they're too big!!" the boy stepped in front of the large bear, trying to prevent him from hurting himself.  "Don't worry about me, Kit." the pilot's voice was a little less than steady as he gently pushed the cub to the side and straightened his cap, "the bigger they are, the harder they punch"

 

Louie's bouncers were, by now, standing behind the ape.  "Hey Baloo, 'ol balooka, ya want any backup?"  *Sure know that he needs it!*

 

"Thanks Louie, but this is between me and them!"  It wasn't a pretty scene watching Baloo lose once again in another slug-fest, Louie covered his mouth, the gorillas following suit as they covered their ears and eyes.  It almost seemed familiar, somehow.

 

The same thought was on everybody's mind.  *Who does he think he's kidding?*  "What Baloo means between him and them, is about three inches of concrete" the ape remarked, unconsciously frustrated at the pilot's unreasonable pride.

 

"Gentlemen," the Colonel remarked, "there's a fly-boy in my soup."

 

Kit knew what was coming and was getting angrier and more frustrated with each minute passing.  Fed up with the pilot's obstinance, he sadly turned and walked out the door, hoping to miss another painful scene.

 

He didn't miss much as Baloo came through the woven grass mat that acted as a wall, right beside him.  Kit ran over to the bear, who was holding his head and trying to get back on his feet.  Baloo let the boy pull him up as he continued scanning the outside of the club for an alternative solution.

 

*Okay, direct approach ain't workin', time to crash their little party some other way*  He barely saw Kit standing there, glaring at him.

 

"Stay put, kiddo, this ain't gonna take long"  The navigator threw his hands up as Baloo began awkwardly climbing his way to the skylight.

 

*Oh, great, _now_ what does he think he's doing?*  "Baloo, you remember when..."  the cub stopped his well-meant speech when he saw that the large bear was already out of ear shot.

 

He gritted his teeth and began climbing up after his friend.  Baloo looked almost feverish as he opened up the window.  "They'll never expect an air-raid."  Kit did a mental countdown, then jumped back, covering his head as once again the pilot came crashing back through.

 

As he made his way down, the boy looked around.  *Now where'd he go?*  Not seeing him, Kit tapped his foot on the pier in anger *That is _it_!  If he's not gonna listen to me, then let him get himself into trouble.  It's not even about that stupid idol anymore!*

 

Kit stomped into the Sea Duck, grabbed one of Baloo's old fishing poles and stomped back to the end of Louie's pier, hearing Baloo swing the building's doors open again.  A shout reached him, "Alright, no more Mister Nice Guy"

 

The navigator couldn't quite prevent himself from looking around anxiously, though, as he heard another, now familiar, yell of pain from the gray bear.

 

Kit wasn't too shocked when Baloo hit the water close to him.  *He's going to get himself killed!  But if he won't listen....*  The cub watched Baloo make his way out of the water and begin walking, perhaps stumbling would have been the better word, back to Louie's.

 

A determined scowl passed over Kit's face as he warred with his emotions for one moment, then decided.  *He'd do the same for me.  I don't care if _I_ have to knock him out, no way are those creeps getting away with this!*

 

Kit stood in front of the large bear and attempted to stop him by putting his hands on Baloo's wide belly.  "Baloo, wait!" Kit pleaded, as the pilot continued walking, pushing the cub as he went.

 

"Just give me a minute, Kit, I'll get it this time fer sure!"  the bear was furious, dripping water as he moved.

 

"Papa Bear, you're outnumbered, and you're outmuscled.  Isn't it about time you started using your head?"  The words echoed around them as Baloo finally stopped to listen to his navigator.

 

Kit knew the words must have sounded strange to the bear, especially if they seemed out of place to his own ears.  But, if anything, the advice sounded better the second time in this oddly-reversed situation.

 

Baloo gazed at the boy with a confused expression on his face.  "Now where you'd get a silly idea like that?"

 

Kit almost slapped his forehead.  *This may take some time*  "You taught me." he said staring straightforwardly at the bear.  *Any moment now*

 

"Huh?"  Obviously Baloo's mind was still a bit fogged from his previous encounters.  "You know" the cub's tone began to break through the pilot's confusion.

 

"Smart...uh....sub-tile....uh..." Kit began throwing punches playfully as Baloo backed up.  Finally the light came on.  "Yeah, I remember!"

 

Baloo gently placed a huge hand on Kit's head to contain the over-zealous boy.  "So why am I driving myself crazy?"  Kit just looked at the bear, relieved and excited as an idea reached the pilot.

 

"When we can have a lot more fun driving Spiggy crazy!"  Baloo glanced at the cub.  Kit grinned and slugged the bear in the stomach with more force than was intended as Baloo grimaced.

 

"By George, I think Spiggy's gonna _get_ it." the boy winked at his friend.  *Let's get planning*

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 Louie, Baloo and Kit sat around a small table in the upper lever of the ape's mutli-story building.  A single candle sat in the middle of the table and all three faces seemed aged and serious in the dim light.

 

Baloo had a towel packed with ice placed against his forehead and an arm around his young navigator who looked sleepy, but interested in the on-going conversation.

 

Louie reached over and patted the cub on the shoulder, "Everythin' clear shortstop?"

 

Baloo, still in pain, also looked at the boy, but with difficulty.  Kit yawned enourmously and blinked at the bartender.  "Yeah, I guess.  Sure wish you were coming too, Louie."

 

Baloo and Louie exchanged a small smile.  "Naw kiddo, time to let you flyboys have the real fun.  Give Spiggy one for me."

 

"Will do pal"  Baloo lightly slapped the orangutan on the back.  "Hey, thanks for lettin' us crash here."

 

"No troubles my main man.  You and the kid be careful tomorrow.  Those blue meanies ain't likely to cut you any slack."

 

"Glad they finally decided to camp out in that tin can they call a plane."

 

"Yeah, cuz, ol' Spiggy's ego finally gave it a rest."  The two friends grinned at each other.

 

"Whaddya think, Kit-boy?  Geared for the morning?"  Baloo glanced at the boy.  The only response was a small snore from the cub.

 

Louie laughed, "Guess the kid's wiped out, Fuzzy,"  Baloo said nothing, but smiled and pushed the boy's hair back.

 

Louie sensed a change in the atmosphere but, not quite understanding it, decided that it was the right moment for him to leave.  "Um..yeah, night....Big Daddy."

 

Baloo looked up at the name.  The ape had never called him that before.  Louie just winked and headed down the stairs, leaving Baloo with his sleeping navigator and his thoughts for company.

 

The pilot carefully picked the boy up and headed into the nearest spare bedroom.  He softly placed Kit down and tucked a blanket around him.

 

Then, the large bear sat down on the other bed, lost in thought as he remembered back to the hours before.  He winced and gently fingered the sore bump on his head before gazing intently at Kit's inert form.  Two words, the last thing that came to mind before sleep took over.  "Thanks, kiddo."

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

The Colonel was rather dissappointed.  He had wanted to engage in another round of bragging to these low-life pilots before returning to the High Marshall in glory, but the crowd had dispersed and the large, scruffy pilot whom he'd bested the night before was nowhere to be seen.  *Baloo, what a coward.  Guess he finally learned to mind his own business*

 

It added a twinge of bitterness to the small warthog's mind.  *It's about time to leave this uh...strange, place*  To someone as well-adjusted to Thembrian civilties as Spigot was, the lifestyles of the inhabitants of Cape Suzette or anywhere else in Usland was distinctly unsettling.

 

"Dunder!"  the Sergeant scrambled to stand in front of Spigot, saluting with vigor.  The Colonel rolled his eyes, "Jutht get the flag.  Thith weather ith torture, it'th high time we returned."

 

"Yes, sir!" the over-eager Sergeant unfurled a flag which equalled the nation it represented n color and uniqueness, and held it out.

 

"Jutht a minute," the tiny Colonel grinned.  "Let'th thow  these pathetic foreignerth jutht who's in charge.  Thingle file march!"

 

Twisting his usually pleasant expression into a harsh scowl, Dunder led the small group as they boarded the official government-model aircraft.  Spigot shot one more remark at the few individuals who showed little or no interest in the parade in front of them.

 

"Eat your hearth out, you thultry peasanth ."

 

As the Colonel prepared to board, he heard a high-pitched scream that seemed vaguely familiar coming from a near-by figure, standing next to his plane.

 

Staring intently, Spigot saw a large, gray bear wearing patched robes and a turban rush over. The strange person began speaking in an unrecognizable accent.

 

"It's you, it's you!!"  the odd individual fell to his knees, bowing.  "Oh you horrible shrunken piece of supernatural nastiness!"

 

The two officers looked confused.  Dunder felt the need to clarify.  "Are you speaking to Colonel Spigot?!"  the Sergeant asked sternly.

 

"Oh no round one," the humble bear raised his head, "I am speaking to the _other_ horrible shrunken piece of supernatural nastiness."

 

"Oh, well that's alright then."  Dunder felt a sharp pain in his leg as the Colonel smacked him forcefully.  "Ow! Sorry" the officer muttered, once again realizing his mistake.

 

"What'th the meaning of thith?"  Spigot said suspiciously, flipping his whip under the stranger's chin.

 

"Oh mighty small one, the idol!  It is cur-sed, cur-sed!!" the bear cowered in terror.

 

"Cur-sed?!" Spigot repeated, his voice rising just a tad.  "Don't be ridiculouth, here, hold thith"   the Colonel quickly handed the subject of discussion over to Sergeant Dunder.

 

"It is true!" the tattered stranger insisted, "Unless you keep your eye on it every moment, it will drive you mad, _mad_!"

 

The Sergeant was looking extremely uncomfortable at this point as his eyes fell on the evil-looking statue.

 

"Get rid of it, before it is too late!"  the bear warned, before screaming in terror and running off.

 

"Fool!"  Spigot spat in contempt.  "Give me that" he snatched his prize away from the Sergeant.  "I'm watching you" the Colonel murmured to the idol.

 

The fact that he was doing too good of a job became apparent as he tripped over the docking ramp and fell face-first, only raising his head to glare maliciously at the idol.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

If there were any fears felt by the tiny officer as his loyal group began the journey back home, they weren't obvious when Colonel Spigot assessed the situation to his underling.

 

"Everything ith under my complete control!  The idol will stay in that cathe," the Colonel tapped the glass contraption, "until I perthonally instunt it in the National Mutheum of Thembria!"

 

"Now go up," Spigot ordered the Sergeant, "and thee that thith is a smooth flight home.  I don't with to be dithturbed"

 

Sergeant Dunder saluted and made the soon to be familiar trip back to the cockpit.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

The vivid coloring of a yellow sea-plane made an interesting contrast to the dull gray of the Thembrian aircraft as the Sea Duck moved it's flight pattern behind the other plane.

 

Baloo, rather pleased with his performance in front of Spigot and his goons, watched as his navigator grabbed the rope and goggles necessary for the next part of their plan.

 

"Kit," the pilot said suddenly, gently grabbing the boy's shoulder as he turned to head outside.  "Be careful, kiddo.  Remember, no silly idol's worth somethin' happening."

 

Kit smiled and nodded his head, thinking back to Quian and the fun little encounter they'd had there.  "Sure Papa Bear"  Gingerly, the cub made his way outside, tying the rope securely around the nose.

 

Baloo yelled out the window once again for good measure.  "Okay, Lil' Britches, time to make our curse come true!"

 

Kit, already wearing his goggles, gave the bear a thumbs-up signal before tensing his legs, judging the leap and jumping form the Sea Duck to land, without any problems, on the Thembrian craft.

 

Baloo's stomach tightened somewhat when he saw Kit vanish from the nose, then, peering carefully to make sure his navigator was still in one piece, he began climbing out himself, setting the Duck on autopilot.

 

Kit had already tied the other end of the rope to the Thembrian plane and after waving to the large pilot, watched carefully as Baloo eased one foot onto the rope.

 

The boy gasped as Baloo's bulk brought the rope down and the attached Sea Duck crashing into the other aircraft with an ear-deafening crash.

 

Luckily, the large bear didn't lose his balance and was instead catapulted far beyond where the navigator was standing.  Baloo slammed into the hard metal surface and groaned inwardly.  *One more bruise to add to my collection.*

 

Disgustedly, he said, "_Man_, I have to lay off on Louie's banana burritos."

 

Kit, out of breath, helped the pilot to his feet. "You alright, Papa Bear?"

 

"Sure thing, Kit-boy"  Baloo patted the boy's head, "Let's get this show on the road."

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

"You're sure you don't thee anything?"  Spigot's harsh voice crackled over the microphone.

 

"N-No sir, we really don't know what that was."

 

"Tell thothe idioth to watch their flying!"  the Colonel's yelling made the speaker squeal in protest.

 

"Absolutely sir"  Dunder nervously put the microphone down, oblivious to the two guards who rolled their eyes skyward, sick to death of taking the tiny warthog's lumps.

 

Colonel Spigot eased himself into his chair.  *Strange noises, hmph!  What next?*  Spigot felt a sudden current of uneasiness pass over  him like something...was watching him.

 

He spun his head around to look out the window, nothing.  Confused, he turned back but the feeling persisted, so he turned again.  Still nothing.

 

Becoming angry and a little jumpy, the warthog tried to slightly turn his head and then quickly looked backward.   Nothing.  *This is _insane_* the Colonel repeatedly tried again and again in succession.  The window remained empty.

 

Jittery, the warthog put a hand on his forehead and involuntarily let his gaze fall on the hideous idol before him.  The skeptical Thembrian pushed his hat foreward and stuck his tongue out at the artifact, a fine example of his stature and respect as an officer.

 

Baloo made his way inside and underneath the main level, trying to use as much caution as he could.  After the previous close call, he didn't want Spiggy seeing him.  Pulling out one of Wildcat's spare wrenches, the large bear tightened the tool on the pole which was merely the support for Spigot's chair above.

 

The pilot could hardly contain himself as he muttered, "Wakey, wakey short-pants" and smacked the wrench as hard as he could.  The Colonel spun around like a loose top on his chair.

 

Dizzily, Spigot stood up and promptly fell to the hard floor.  *What in the world?*  The officer looked at the statue.  "Nyah.."

 

Marching back to unsteady seat, he pushed the button for his microphone.  The Colonel then yelled as loudly as he could, "Dunder!!   Come here at once!" the large Sergeant came scurrying through the doors immediately.

 

"You called Colonel?  Ouch!"  Dunder recieved a harsh slap in the leg for his efforts.

 

"Whatever you were doing! _Don't_ do it anymore"  was the small warthog's off-beat reply.

 

"Yes sir!"  the Sergeant stammered, holding onto his leg, "I'm terribly sorry sir!"

 

"Now, get out!" Spigot flipped his small whip  to point at the other officer, "And I don't want any more disturbanceth"

 

Dunder, still holding his sore leg, answered at the back of the tiny warthog's head.  "Yes, sir...I mean, no sir!"

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

Baloo was once again making his way up to the top hatch of the aircraft where he had entered.  Opening it and popping out his head, he saw his navigator with headphones attached and intercom equipment ready.

 

Kit gave the pilot another thumbs-up signal, Baloo grinned and headed back down.  It wouldn't matter for how long he knew that kid, he would never cease to be amazed at the boy's far-flung range of talents.

 

The large bear began making his way to the lower levels of the craft, hearing _ahem_ Spigot's voice call out sharply once again.

 

"Dunder!! Come here at once"  *Incredible* Baloo shook his head.

 

The unlucky Sergeant, meanwhile, heard his superior officer's command and quickly ran into the main room of the large plane.  Surprisingly, the Colonel was sleeping, but orders were orders.

 

Dunder tapped the other warthog and saluted smartly.  "You called Colonel?" the Sergeant's voice betrayed his uncertainty.

 

Fuming, Spigot simply motioned with one finger and the other officer stepped closer.  The small whip, always on hand, flipped out, narrowly missing Dunder who fell over trying to avoid it.

 

"NO, I did not _call Colonel_!!"

 

"Well, someone did!" Dunder said fearfully.  The Colonel glanced at the hideous idol, grinning with the same toothy smile that had been placed on it since it's creation.

 

Dunder quickly guessed the other warthog's thoughts.  "That nasty idol's not botherin' ya, is it Colonel?"

 

Infuriated at having some small bit of his fear show, Spigot yelled forcefully, "No, no, NO!  That idol'th not bothering me.  Only thmall mind'th yield to thuperstition.  Now leave me alone!"

 

The door slammed and a mournful, "Sorry" was the only word that penetrated through.

 

"You don't frighten me" Spigot glared at the tormenting object.  "I will not thuccumb to your wily, wooden wayth.  You thee how unconcerned I am, thee, thee!"

 

The Colonel's act wasn't working, especially on himself as he attempted to relax.  *Let's see how he likes taking some lumps*  With another swing, Baloo set the chair spinning, Spigot again caught completely off-guard.

 

The officer stared at the glittering idol, frightened.  *How could it be....?*  "Dunder!!"  the Colonel's high yell sounded through the interior of the plane.

 

The three officers in the cockpit were shocked to see the small warthog rush in and tackle Sergeant Dunder.

 

"Colonel?!"  the Sergeant said in disbelief as Spigot began muttering frantically and shaking the other officer.

 

"The idol!  That nasty wooden thing, it'th trying to get me!!"

 

"The idol _is_ trying to get ya?"  Dunder said in horror.

 

The Colonel, now enraged and embarrassed at being caught in such an undignified position (not an unusual occurence) began backpedaling.  "The idol ith not doing anything, it ith just a piece of wood!"

 

Spigot scowled and adjusted his hat.  "But...you said," poor Dunder was bewildered.

 

"Don't listen to what I _thaid_ , listen to what I'm _thaying_!  I thimply need a little rest, I am thomewhat tapped by my overwhelming triumph."  the Colonel's voice wavered, somehow, the other Thembrians seemed less than convinced.

 

"I will not be dithtur-bed.  Underthand?!"  There was no mistaking the hostility in the tiny warthog's voice as Dunder gulped.

 

"Yes, sir" he said quietly.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

*This confounded thing!  There is absolutely _no_ reason for doing this.*  Spigot had been trying for some time to convince himself to stop looking at the idol and attempt to get some rest.

 

Something about the hideous carving and the unexplained, earlier events kept his eyes glued to it.  He switched arms, blinked, attempted to focus on something, _anything_ else in the drab room before his eyelids began to droop.

 

As the first snores began to fill the room, several screws began to appear from the base of the Colonel's chair.  Baloo and Kit had to fight to keep from laughing, uncontrollably as they slid the chair across the room.

 

*Time for the fun part*  "Got the glue?" the pilot whispered to his navigator.  Kit giggled, "Yes" and held up a large tube.

 

Chuckling, trying to smother the noise of uncontained laughter, Baloo motioned for Kit to keep it down as the two began the complicated stuff.

 

*It's a good thing Spiggy's a sound sleeper* the boy thought as he helped Baloo turn the room upside-down.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

For some strange reason, Spigot was dreaming that he was in a blizzard.  Cold and windy, he tried to pull his collar up to shelter himself.

 

*This dream seems very real*  the warthog's mind was very groggy as he smacked his lips and attempted to get comfortable again.  *Since when is it so noisy in here?*

 

The Colonel had a single second of disorientation before jerking awake with a terrifed yell.  Adrenaline taking over, he made contact with the outside hull, going clean through.

 

*Can't be real, it can't be...* Spigot gasped and choked, trying to regain his composure before being flung into panic again.

 

*The room!!  What happened here?  If I'm on the ceiling...*  In direct violation of the laws of gravity, the warthog began to frantically climb the walls, yelling and panting in fear.

 

He _was_ crazy!!  That idiot bear had been right, he'd been right all along!  The Colonel cowered in fear, unsure of what to do.  He insanely believed he could set things right if only everything appeared right-side up again.  Standing on his hands, Spigot made his way to what had been the hanging light.

 

That did it.  "I believe!!  I believe, I believe, I believe!"  He yelled pleadingly.  Without another thought, Spigot pulled out his key and managed to climb up to the case.

 

"Be gone, you nasty do-dad, you!"  With a great deal of force, the Colonel heaved the statue out the window, where it broke through.

 

The Thembrian's complete relief was tempered by the appearance of a well-known plane.

 

The navigator of the Sea Duck caught the idol with his usual ease.  Baloo, ecstatic, couldn't resist rubbing it in.

 

"Thanks, Colonel!  Nice to see you've changed yer mind!"

 

Fists clenched, the Colonel simply yelled, "Dunder!!" as loudly as he could.  *Someone's head will roll for this and it's not going to be mine*

 

The Sergeant came rushing in.  "When we get home, tell the High Marshall that thith ith all _your_ fault!"

 

"My fault" the Sergeant repeated, taking notes.  "Yes, sir.  Thank you, sir!"

 

"Don't forget it"

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

Kafoolzalem was one crowded place.  Kit stuck to Baloo closely as they were admitted into the palace, a huge gleaming structure of white marble.  Baloo whistled appreciatively.

 

"Boy kiddo, looks like this reward'll just be spare change to this guy."

 

"Yeah, Papa Bear, and he can _take_ this thing."  Kit held out the troublesome idol with a grimace.  *Still gives me the willies*

 

Baloo took the statue from the boy with a grin as the guards showed them into the massive throne room.

 

"Bow to show your respect."  one guard hissed at the pair, who looked at each other and shrugged.  After getting back on his feet, Baloo took his cap off.

 

"Um...your high Sultaness, we're here to claim the reward fer this..uh..._special_ artifact"  the large bear winked at Kit, who fought to keep from giggling.

 

The Sultan arched an eyebrow at the bear and clapped his hands.  One guard snatched the idol from the pilot, who looked irritated, and another pushed in a wheelbarrow full of bags.

 

Baloo thought he could guess what was in them.  *'Ol Baloo's ship's finally come in* his eyes gleamed.  Kit was staring, wide-eyed.

 

"Thanks, agai..."  "That will be all"  the Sultan motioned majestically.

 

*Creep* Baloo thought before walking out, arm around Kit's shoulders, their hard-earned fortune behind them.

 

When the doors had closed, the Sultan motioned in a skinny, nervous rabbit.  "The inflation rate today, if you please?" the ruler spoke up, with his bored tone.

 

"Uh, risen again, through the roof, your Majesty"

 

Sighing wearily, the Sultan felt better only when he realized how he had gotten the better deal with that scruffy bear.  *Let's see how far their greed will take them*

 

The ruler yawned and turned his attentions, elsewhere.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

The Sea Duck made it's way along the well-known route to Louie's, unfamiliar silence in the cockpit due to an exhausted navigator who was in his usual seat and position, asleep.

 

Baloo, tired as well, remained oddly alert.  He loved the normal chatter between him and the cub, but sometimes loved the content feeling of Kit sitting there beside him, resting peacefully, even more.

 

*This is one treasure hunt I don't think I'll be fergettin' anytime soon.*  Baloo smiled, this one had certainly been different, in more ways than one.

 

The fact that he was now rich really didn't do much to change the bear's attitude.  *Things change, I guess*  the pilot glanced at the small cub sleeping soundly.

 

*Already was rich, wealthiest guy there ever was*  The money that was now his sure was something, but what did Baloo need except a warm bed, the sky, the Duck and of course, a very special navigator there with him, all the way.

 

He could now afford to give Kit the best things he'd ever want.  *Can't spoil the kid, though* the large bear told himself sternly, then shook his head, remembering Kit's disposition.  *Like that's gonna be a problem*

 

Something had solidified between these two during this adventure.  New emotions like respect and regard had formed.  Kit had proven to the pilot that his advice mattered.  Baloo had listened to the boy when it had counted.

 

The gray bear hoped that nothing could ever break the ties that now bound them together. But, as long as they had the plane, the sky and each other, it would be enough.  *It's enough...*

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

"That's right Becky, you can save your _I told you so's_ and break out the pink slip on the Sea Duck.  Papa's coming home with his pockets full of torbits!"

 

Baloo was enjoying himself a little too much, gloating to Rebecca over the phone.  The warm sunshine and smell of the sea surrounded Kit, who lazily sat on their pile of money, elbow on knee, listening to Baloo set up a perfect opportunity to put his foot in his mouth.

 

Louie looked at the boy and grinned, guessing his thoughts.  Kit, as always, grinned back at the amiable bartender, who tapped Baloo on the shoulder.

 

"That'll be 8 shaboozies, Baloo" the ape checked his adding machine.

 

Baloo, a little out of sorts with finally getting the best of Rebecca, turned his attention to Louie.  "Hold on Becky"  He covered the mouthpiece with a large hand.

 

"Haven't got any shaboozies right now, what'll it be in torbits?"

 

*Torbits, huh*  Louie pulled out a large, dusty book, convenient for figuring out the hundreds of currencies that came to his place.  "Well, lemme see now, at the current rate of exchange"

 

The orangutan's eyes fell on an unpleasant stat.  *Oh, boy*  Baloo's friend attempted to stop him before he dug himself in any deeper, but was too late as the pilot smirked, "Y'know Rebecca, if you play you're cards right, _I_ might be able to give _you_ a job."

 

Kit, noticing Louie's agitation, felt that something had just gone sadly wrong and studied Baloo's face as the red ape read the verdict.

 

 

"Well, including ice cream, sales tax and tip, it comes to 13 million torbits, right on the mazooma"  Kit smacked his forehead.  *I wonder if Baloo's gonna need some salt to go with his words?*  the navigator thought and exchanged another smile with the bartender.

 

Baloo gulped.  "Uh, Rebecca.  I'll be back to work tomorrow.  Oh, and can I reverse the charges?"


Page One

Return to Kit Cloudkicker Fanfics Page

Return to the Unofficial Kit Cloudkicker Homepage


Special Thanks to 50 Webs for providing space for this webpage. Click here to find out how you can get your free homepage and 60 Megabytes of webspace.