Return to 50 Webs.

Dear Unknown

                      by Nina  Adams

Disclaimer: Baloo, Rebecca Cunningham, Don Karnage, Kit Cloudkicker, Molly Cunningham and WildCat are (c)1990/1991 Walt Disney Company and are being used without premission. The writer has made sure that all material represented here is not used for profit and is used with the upmost respect to Disney and the Tale Spin team. All other characters are the property of the writer.


    

    It  was  suppose  to  be  a  typical  plundering  one  day  for  DonKarnage  and  his  crew.  They  were  plundering  the  mayor  of  Cape Suzette's  plane.  The  mayor  was  on  vacation  in  his  huge  plane which  housed  ten  bedrooms,  a  private  theater,  a  small  pool.  You name  it.  It  was  on  that  plane.  And  Karnage  wanted  every  bit  of it. 

    The  mayor  was  holding  a  bouquet for  all  his  rich  high  society friends  with  a  ballet  recital  going  on  during  the  dinner.  After the  air  pirates  took  over  the  cockpit,  Karnage  disguised  himself as  one  of  those  rich  people  and  his  crew  had  tied  up  the waiters  and  dressed  up  in  their  clothes.  The  air  pirates  spread out  around  the  crowd  of  unknowing  rich  snobs.  Karnage  spotted  the mayor  at  a  table  in  front  of  the  stage.  He  walked  over  to  it and  sat  down  in  the  empty  seat  next  to  him.  The  brown  dog  was slightly  bored  with  the  recital  that  was  going  on  and  turned  to notice  a  person  he  didn't  know  sitting  next  to  him.

    "O,  hello  there"  the  mayor  greeted.  "Do  I  know  you?"

    "No,  you  don't"  Karnage  replied  trying  to  hide  his  accent, but  it  didn't  quit  work.

    "But  you  look  familiar.  Are  you  a  guest  of  one  of  my guest?"  the  intoxicated  mayor  asked  taking  another  sip  of  his drink.

    "Why  yes…yes  I  am  a friend  of  that  man  over  there."  Karnage pointed  to  a  dark  gray  wolf  across  the  room.

    "O,  him.  I  heard  a  lot  of  rumor  about  that  guy."  The  mayor leaned  in  closer.  "He's  a  lawyer  right?"  Karnage  nodded  not really  knowing  what  the  man  did.  "Is  it  true  he  once  came  in court  drunk  as  a  skunk?  Hey,  just  like  me  right  now.  What  a conquencadents."

    The  music  stopped  and  the  dancers  fluttered  off  the  stage. 

    "Could  ya  hold  on  one  sec.  I  gotta  watch  this  next  number" he  said  turning  to  face  the  stage.

    Karnage  just  sat  back  and  relaxed  for  a  minute  getting prepared  to  take  over  the  whole  plane.  The  music  of  "Laura's Theme"  began  and  a  brown  wolf  about  in  her  twenties  gracefully danced  onto  the  stage  wearing  a  long  pale pink  silk  gown  that swirled  in  the  air  as  she  daintily  turned  on  one  toe.  Karnage was  wide  eye  as  he  watched  her.  She  even  noticed  him  when  she glanced  over  at  the  mayor's  table.  His  eyes  caught  hers  and  she smiled. 

    "Who  is  that?"  he  asked  the  mayor  who  was  getting  antsy  in his  seat.

    "That's  my  step-daughter,  Alexandra"  he  replied.

    "Really."  Karnage's  ever  genius  mind  started  sauntering  as  his attention  went  back  to  Alexandra  dancing.  Mad  Dog  come  walking  up to  him  dressed  in  a  waiters  uniform  and  taped  his  captain  on the  shoulder.  Karnage  turned  frustrated  at  being  disturbed  while watching  the  performance.

    "What  do  you  want?"  he  said  trying  to  keep  his  temper  down.

    "When  are  we  going  to  pillage  these  rich  people?  We're  all getting  anxious."

    "In  a  minute,  Mad  Dog.  Don't  you  estupid  idiots  remember  that I'd  give  you  a  signal."

    Mad  Dog  sat  there  for  a  second  thinking.  "Yes."

    "Well  then  go  back  to  your  post."

    Mad  Dog  saluted  and  ran  back   to  his  post  in the  back  of the  large  dinner  theater.  Karnage  turned  back  to  watch  Alexandra, but  she  was  just  finishing  her  dance  with  a  curtsey.  Everyone began  clapping  especially  Karnage  who  received  another  glance  from the  girl.  The  mayor  stood  up  clapping  hysterically  and  whistling being  rowdier  then  everyone  else  in  the  place.  Alexandra  fluttered off  the  stage  and  Karnage  stood  up  without  the  mayor  even observing  he  was  leaving  the  table.  He  gestured  to  Mad  Dog  then walked  toward  the  stage.  Dumptruck  flicked  the  lights  on  and  the crowd  gasped  as  being  surprised  by seeing  Karnage  standing  on  the stage.

    "Hollo  rich  people  from  Cape  Suzette.  It  is  I  the  great, powerful,  and  feared  pirate,  Don  Karnage.  You  may  know  why  I  am here.  But  if  you  don't,  I  am  here  to  steal  all  your  pretty very  fancy  jewels  and  all  your  riches  and  so  on  and  so  forth. So,  if  you  may  very  generously  hand  over  your  riches  to  my crew,  no  one  will  be  hurt.  It's  been  a  pleasure  robbing  you."

    While  his  crew  was  collecting  their  bounty,  Karnage  went  back stage  to  look  for  the  girl  that  caught  his  eye.  He  come  upon  a dressing  room  a  few  feet  away  from  the  closing  curtains.  He peeked  in  to  see  a  girl  facing  a  mirror  changing  into  a  pink tank  top  with  a  matching  floral  skirt.  She  pulled  out  the  hair clip  which  was  holding  her  hair  in  a  bun.  Her  long  golden  brown locks  flowed  down  and  hit  her  back  with  a  swish.  Then  she wrapped  a  pink  sash  around  her  head  like  a  pirate  would.  She felt  a  presence  behind  her,  but  when  she  turned,  no  one  was there. 

    Karnage  headed  to  the  back  to  the  stage  observing  his  crew gather  every  single  thing  that  was  worth  anything.  After  they finished,  Karnage  ordered  them  back  onto  the  Iron  Vulture  leaving the  shaken  up  victims  to  sulk  in  there  not  so  much  lose. 

    Karnage  stood  looking  around  at  the  loot  he  had  gained  and was  proud  of  it.  It  was  a  little  while  after  when  he  went  to relax  in  his  quarters.  He  sat  in  his  armchair  when  he  heard paper  crumple  under  him.  He  lifted  off  his  chair  to  see  what  he was  sitting  on,  but  there  was  nothing  there.  He  sat  back  down. The  sound  of  paper  crumpling  was  still  there.  Finally,  he  reached in  his  pocket  to  find  a  piece  of  stationary.  He  unfolded  it  to see  gold  vine  trim  embroidered  on  the  edges.  The  words  were written  in  gold  ink.  Karnage  began  to  read the  mysterious  letter.

 

Dear  Unknown,

 

    I  wish  I  could  be  with  you  my  dear  known.  I  know  you  want to  be  with  me.  We  have  been  away  from  each  other  so  long.  But I  haven't  forgotten  your  touch.  Your  beautiful  face.  I  need  to be  with.  Please,  come  for  me  soon.  Even  if  it  takes  forever, I'll  wait  for  you.  I'll  meet  you  in  my  dream.   Between  now  and then  till  we  meet  again,  I'll  be  loving  you.

                                                                          

                                                       Love  Me

 

    "Where  did  this  come  from?"  Karnage  asked  out  loud  to himself.  He  sat  there  staring  at  the  letter  again.

 

    That  night,  Karnage's  mind  was  a  tug-a-war  of  dreams.  His dreams  were  filled  with  the  image  of  the  Alexandra  dancing  just for  him. But  then  the  words  from  the  letter  were  being  read  in the  background  of  his  mind.  Who  was  this  person  who  wanted  to be  with  him  so  bad.  He  didn't  know  of  anyone.  He  had  never  had an  encounter  with  a  true  love  before.  Come  for  me  soon.  How could  he  come  for  this  person  if  he  didn't  know  who  it  was. They  didn't  leave  a  name. 

    Alexandra  stopped  dancing  and  stared  at  him  with  pleading eyes.  She  began  to  fade  away.  The  words  come  for  me  were echoing  as  she  disappeared.  Karnage,  all  the  sudden,  woke  in  a cold  sweat.  He  sat  up  in  his  bed  breathing   rapidly. 

    *What  does  that  girl  have  to  do  with  that  letter?*  he thought  *I  do  not  know  her.  I  never  met  her  in  my  life.*

    He  stood  up  walking  over  to  the  table  he  set  the  letter  on. It  was  still  lying  there  as  elegant  as  when  he  first  opened it. 

    *Was  Alexandra  the  one  who  wrote  this?  She  couldn't  have*

    He  went  back  to  bed  thinking  about  her.  She  dominated  his dreams  the  whole  night.  Karnage  woke  in  the  morning  with  the thought  of   the  beautiful  ballerina  in  his  head  still.  He  went breakfast  trouble  about  the  letter.  His  mind  was  going  nuts  by lunch.  He  had  to  do  something.  He  had  to  go  see  Alexandra somehow. 

    Karnage  left  in  his  CT-37  to  Cape  Suzette  where  the  mayor's plane  had  returned  to  after  him  and  his  crew  left.  He  flew  to the  far  side  of  Cape  Suzette  where  the  mayor's  mansion  was.  He looked  down  to  see  people  scrambling  around  the  dozens  of  acres. By  the  carriage  house, he  saw  her.  Alexandra  was  standing  behind the  building  alone.  He  knew  he  couldn't  land  anywhere  near  the estate.  He'd  be  caught.

    Karnage  found  a  small  space  in  one  of  the  harbors  around Cape Suzette.  He  traveled  to  the  entrance  gate  of  the  mayor's mansion  in  another  one  of  his  many  disguises  and  hide  out  in the  bushes  across the  street  hoping  that  Alexandra  would  come  out. After  waiting  a  hour  or  so,  she  appeared  at  the  gate.  A  guard stopped  her  from  walking  out.

    "Sorry  Miss  Alexandra,  I  can't  let  you  out  on  your  father's orders.  That  Don  Karnage  could  be  anywhere"  the  guard  told  her.

    She  frowned  and  put  her  hands  on  her  hips  in frustration. 

    "Well,  forget  my  father's  orders.  I  think  if  this  Karnage character  was  going  to  kidnap  me,  I  think  he  would  of  done  it last  night.  So,  please  Jimmy,  I  can  take  care  of  myself."

    "I'll  have  to  inform  your…" 

    He  reached  for  the  telephone  in  his  guard  shake,  but Alexandra  stopped  him.

    "I  don't  think  that'll  be  nesseccary.  I'll  be  back  in  a little  while.  Don't  fret.  No  one  knows  who  I  am.  Remember?" 

    Alexandra  walked  out  the  gate.  Her  frustration  began  to  ease. It  wasn't  just  the  encounter  with  the  guard  that  had  ticked  her off,  and  the  robbery  the  night  before.  She  was  actually  happy all  the  rich  snobs  of  Cape  Suzette  were  robbed.  It  was  her parents  that  made  her  cringe  for  the  moment. Then  there  was  the thought  of  _him_. She  walked  out  to  the  street  where  she  heard  a loud  rustle  in  the  bushes.  Alexandra's  curiosity  took  over  and she  glared  into  the  bushes  to  see  a  figure  kneeling  there.  She looked  back  to  the  gate  to  see  Jimmy  talking  to  someone  coming out  the  gate.

    "Hello.  Is  someone  in  here?"  she  asked  pulling  a  branch  out.

 

    The  figure  disappeared  right  in  front  of  her.  She  took another  step  into  the  bushes  when  she  felt  a  hand  on  her shoulder.  She  jumped  and  turned  startled.  There  stood  in  front  of her  was  Karnage.  Her  frowned  swiftly  became  a  smile. 

    "You're  here"  she  said  wrapping  her  arms  around  him.  "You come  back  for  me.  I  know  you  would,  Xavier."

    Karnage  pulled  her  back  when  he  heard  the  name  she  had addressed  him  by. 

    "What?  What's  wrong?"

    "I  am  terribly  sorry,  madame.  I  am  not  this  Xavier  you  call me  by."

    The  girl's  smiled  turned  back  into  a  frown. 

    "You're  not  him.  I…I  thought  you  were.  I'm  sorry.  It's  just you  look  so  much  like  him.  And  the  way  our  eyes  met  last night.  I…I  knew  it  was  you.  I  was  wrong.  I  shouldn't  of  reacted so  dramatic."

    Alexandra  took  a  deep  breathe,  and  began  to  walk  away  down the  street.      

    "Wait."  He  stopped  her.  "Who  is  this  Xavier  you  mistooken  me for?"

    "O,  he  was  my  one  and  only  true  love  that  was  kidnapped  by pirates."

    "How  long  ago?"

    "Eighteen  years  ago.  It's  been  so  long."

    She  started  walking  down  the  street  again  with  Karnage  next to  her.

    "You  do  not  look  any  older  than  twenty.  How  could  you  have a  relationship  eighteen  years  ago?"

    "Well,  I  my  look  young,  but  I'm  thirty-two,  and  my  parents still  try  to  control  my  life.  Me  and  Xavier  loved  each  other from  the  time  we  were  born  to  the  time  he  was  ripped  away  from me.  But  why  do  you  care?  You  don't  even  know  me."

    "I  have  to  say  you  were  in  my  dreams  last  night  and  the letter  you  wrote  effected  my  dreams  even  more.  You  danced  so beautifully  last  night."

    "Thank  you.  Ballet  is  the  only  thing  that  I  love  to  do  that my  parents  pushed  onto  me."

    "How  was  this  Xavier  kidnapped  by  pirates?"

    "One  day  a  band  of  pirates  attacked  us  on  a  beach  in Forsinthya.  That's  where  my  grandparents  live.  Anyway,  they  took us  on  their  ship  and  made  us  stay  in  their  hostage  cel  for hours.  At  around  midnight,  they  came  and  took  me  away.  Xavier was  pleading  for  them  to  spare  me.  He  assumed  they   were  going to  hurt  me  or  something.   Instead,  they  tied  me  to  a  tree  and left  me  on  the  beach.  The  next  morning, I  was  found.  But  Xavier wasn't.  I  didn't  get  what  they  wanted  with  him.  He  wasn't  rich and  he  was  just  a  teenage  boy.  What  could  they  have  done  with him?  I  felt  so  sorry  for  his  mother.  Ya  see,  I  loved  him  so much,  I've  never  had  a  relationship  with  anyone  else.  I  pledged myself  to  him  saying  he  would  always  be  my  only  love  and   I meant  it.  You  want  to  know  something  strange  I  just  realized. Xavier  had  the  same  exact  accent  you  do.  That  is  so  weird."

    Karnage  was  stunned  at  the  girl's  words.  He'd  never  heard  of such  a  strong  devotion  before.  But  what  shocked  him  more  was  the strange  distinction   between  him  and  Xavier.  He  was  around  the age  of  thirty-two  and  his  memories  of  become  a  pirate  didn't start  until  he  was  fourteen.  Before  then,  he  couldn't  remember much  of  his  childhood.  His  began  to  drift  on  to  the  subject  of his  memory. 

    "Are  you  okay?"  Alexandra  said  noticing  he  was  in  deep thought.

    "Yes.  Yes.  I  was  thinking  of  something.  Now,  you  have  waited for  this  boy  for  eighteen  years?"

    "Yes.  Shocking  isn't  it?  People  say  I'm  crazy  and  that  Xavier is  died.  I  don't  believe  them.  I  can  still  feel  him  alive.  I wouldn't  of  searched  for  him  all  these  years  if  I  didn't."

    "You  searched  for  him?"

    "Yes,  I  did.  When  I  finished  college,  I  traveled  all  over the  world  for  him.  I  had  no  such  luck  in  finding  him.  Enough about  me  and  my  problems,  what  do  you  do?  Or  should  I  ask first,  what's  your  name?"

    "I  do  not  think  you  want  to  know  who  I  am."

    "Nonsense.  It's  not  like  your  a  pirate  or  anything."

    Karnage  halted  in  mid-step.  Alexandra  stopped  and  looked  at him.

    "How  would  you  react  if  I  said  I  was?"

    It  didn't  take  long  for  her  to  realize  what  he  meant.

    "You're  a  pirate?"

    "Yes.  Actually  I  am  the  famous  pirate  captain,  Don  Karnage."

    "So,  _you_  were  the  one  who  robbed  my  dad's  plane."

    "Yes,   that  was  me."

    "Please,  can  you  take  me  with  you  back  to  your  ship  or whatever  that  thing  was  you  and  your  crew  came  in?"

    "That  thing  was  my  air  ship,  the  Iron  Vulture  and  I  don't think  you  should  come  with  me."

    "Why  not?  You  could  be  my  answer  to  finding  Xavier.  Please" she  begged  putting  her  hands  on  his  shoulders.  "I  can  take  care of  myself.  I  have  had  to  go  through  every  kind  of  dangerous situation  there  is.  Trust  me,  I  can  take  care  of  myself."

    Karnage  thought  for  a  moment.  He  didn't  want  to  pass  the chance  of  having  her  around.  What  would  his  crew  think  if  he brought  a  woman  on  board?  He  was  the  captain.  He  had  made  up his  mind.

    "You  can  come,  but  you  will  have  swear  under  oath  never  to reveal  our  where abouts  or  face  being  killed."

    "I  definitely  can  do  that."

        

    Alexandra,  without  telling  anyone, left  with  Karnage.  He  flow them  to  pirate  island  where  the  greeting  back  wasn't  very  cordial with  some  of  his  crew  protesting  and  others  eyeing  her  in  her knee-high  skirt  and  tank  top.  But  she  knew  if  one  would  attack her  for  any  reason,  she'd  be  prepared  with  the  defense  skills she  learned  in  Baji  years  ago  when  she  was  traveling  around  the world  alone.   Karnage  escorted  her  to  his  private  quarters.  It was  a  very  large  room  with  the  usual  things  like  a  bed  and nightstand  that's  in  any  kind  of  bedroom  and  Alexandra  wondered why  such  a  colorful  character  like  Karnage  had  such  a  bland private  quarters. 

    "I  would  think  that  of  all  the  little  hearsay  I've  heard  of you,  you'd  have  a  more  decorative  bedroom  than  this.  I  mean  I can  see  your  interesting  persona  in  your  clothes.  And  by  the  way you  think" Alexandra  said  walking  in  behind  him.

    "This  room  is  not  for  looking,  but  for  sleeping.  I'll  show you  where  I  go  to  be  alone."

    Karnage  walked  over  to  the  nightstand  and  moved  it  to  the side  to  reveal  a  secret  door.  He  pulled  it  open  by  the  handle. Alexandra  looked  down  to  see  stairs.

    "Come  with  me." 

    He  started  down  the  narrow  stairway  with  a  torch  in  hand. Alexandra  traveled  behind  him  down  the  stairs. She  saw  a  stream of  light  at  the  end  of  the  stairs.  Karnage  stopped  and  placed the  torch  in  a  holder  on  the  wall.  He  stepped  into  the  dark chamber  and  opened  a  curtain.  The  light  flowed  into  the  chamber to  unveil  a  medley  of    foreign  decor  and  antiques.  A  smile flashed  over  Alexandra's  face  as  she  peered  around  the  room. 

    "Let  me  guess.  You  stole  all  this  really  fancy  stuff."

    "You  are  correct,  my  dear.  I've  collected  all  these  items over  the  years  that  I  have  been  the  most  admired  pirate  captain. You  like  my  unusual  collection?"  he  asked  sitting  in  a  Victorian style  armchair.  Alexandra  looked at  the  elegant  tapestries  hanging on the  wall.  One  from  the  ancient  country  of  Egypt.  The  next  one from  her  Grandparent's  house.

    "Say,  where  did  you  get  this?"

    "That  one  was  given  to  me  by  my  teacher  along  time  ago. Why?"

    "This  is  strange.  This  tapestry  use  to  belong  to  my Grandparents."

    "Well,  your  Grandparents  have  good  taste"  he  said  walking  up next  to  her.   

    "Yeah."  She  advanced  to  the  bay  window  that  took  up  the entire  wall.  "Great  view.  So,  what  other  treasures  do  you  have hidden  away  in  your  little  nest  egg  here."

    Karnage  looked  at  her  confused.  "Nest  egg?"

    She  glanced  back  at  him. "Yeah,  this  stuff  you  have  in  here is  worth  more  than  you  could  even  imagine."

    "O,  no.  I  can  imagine  very  cleary  of  this  stuffs  worth."

    "Okay,  but  what  is  your  most  prized  possession  in  here.  Your personal  prized  possession."

    Karnage  didn't  have  to  think  of  one.  He  headed  over  to  a safe  in  the  corner,  opened  it  after  putting  in  the  combination, and  pulled  out  a  beautifully  crafted  violin. 

    "That's  a  beautiful  violin.  Do  you  play?"

    "Silly  you,  of  course,  I  do.  You  think  I  have  this  for show.  It  would  not  be  in  the  safe  if  I  did  not."    

    "Can  you  play  this?"  Alexandra  asked  taking  out  a  piece  of folded  up  sheet  music  that  was  all  brownish-yellow  from  her bosom.  Karnage  grabbed  it.  He  stared  at  the  sheet  music  examining it.  It  was  entitled  "Dear  Unknown". 

    "This  title  is  the  same  as  in  your  letter.  Should  I  ask why?"

    "That's  what  I  use  to  call  Xavier.  Ya  see,  his  dad  left  him a  violin  with  only  one  piece  of  sheet  music.  This  was  the  only song  he  could  play  for  along  time.  It  became  our  song  and  I gave  him  the  nickname  My  Dear  Unknown."

    "What  was  his  nicknack  for  you?"

    "Nickname.  And  this  may  sound  weird,  but  he  use  to  call  me The  Enchanting  One.  Don't  ask  me  why,  but  I  think  he  use  to think  that  I was  enchanting."

    "For  you,  I  will  play  this  piece."

    He  placed  the  music  on  his  music  stand,  raised  his  violin and  began  to  play.  The  notes  bounced  off  of  Alexandra's  heart  as she  remembered  Xavier  playing  it  for  her  all  the  time.  She  had the  urge  to  dance.  She  couldn't  hold  it  back  and  started  to gracefully  stand  on  her  toes.  It  was  kinda  hard  without  her ballet  shoes,  but  she  had  lots  of  practice  without  them.  Karnage took  his  eyes  off  the  music  for  a  moment  to  glance  at  her, but,  to  his  surprise,  realized  he  was  playing  without  the  music. It  was  like  he  had  been  playing  it  forever.  As  he  finished  the last  note,  Alexandra  set  her  foot  behind  her  to  bow  like  she did for  every  dance  and  lowered  her  head.  Karnage  gently  laid  his violin  on  a  nearby  table.  He  went  up  to  Alexandra  who  was still  bowed  and  placed  his  hand  under  her  chin.  He  raised  her head  up  to  face  him  than  touched  his  lips  to  hers.  She didn't back  away  as  he  anticipated  her  to  do.  Alexandra  stayed  there until  he  backed  away  shocked  that  she  didn't  back  away  first. There  was  something  familiar  about  him.  He  reminded  her  so  much of  Xavier  in  a  way,  but  different  at  the  same  time.  She  met his  eyes.  There  was  something  there  and  she  liked  it.  But  her devotion  to  Xavier  ran  through  her  mind.  For  the  first  time ever,  she  had  doubts.  Was  she  breaking  her  devotion  to  him?  She thought.  But,  for  some  reason,  it  didn't  feel  like  it.  Other  men had  kissed  her  before  without  her  consent  and  she  felt  nothing. With  Karnage,  she  felt  something.

    "I  am  sorry"  Karnage  said  after  several  moments  of  silence. 

    "It's  okay.  Isn't  the  first  time  a  man  has  slipped  in  for  a harmless  kiss.  I  expect  that  a  lot  especially  after  the  man played  the  most beautiful  sheet  music  I  ever  heard."

    "Yes,  here  is  your  music."

    He  handed  the  music  back  to  her  then  put  his  violin  back  in the  safe. 

    "So,  if  you  have  not  been  with  any  other  man,  you  are  a…"

    "Virgin"  she  cut  him  off  abruptly.  "Yes,  I  am.  I  maybe  pure, but  I'm  not  innocent.  If  you're  thinking  that."

    "I  just  cannot  see  such  a  delicate  flower  like  you  hurting anyone."

    He  turned  his  back  for  one  second.  That's  when  he  felt  grab him.  Next  thing  Karnage  realized  was  that  he  was  on  the  floor with  Alexandra on  top  of  him  pinning  him  down. 

    "Do  I  prove  my  point  now?"

    "Yes.  I  can  see  you  are  capable  of  bringing  a  person  down. But can  you  keep  him  down?" he  asked   suddenly  flipping  her  over  to  the  floor  with  him  being on  top  of  her. 

    "Very  sneaky"  Alexandra  grinned.

    "Thank  you."

    "But  anything  you  can  do…"  She  positioned  her  foot  on  his stomach  and  kicked  him  off.  He  hit  the  wall  not  hard  just  a tiny  impact.  Alexandra  jumped  to  her  feet  and  stepped  in  his face.  "I  can  do  better"  she  said  finishing  her  sentence. 

    By  now,  Karnage  would  have  been  angry  as  heck,  but  this girl,  or  woman,  he  had  just  met  made  him  feel  curious  about  the opposite  sex.  Only  before,  girls  were  just  people  who  were  put on  this  earth  to  worship  him.  But  Alexandra  was  very  intriguing. He  watched  at  her  as  she  went  back  to  the  window  to  watch  the sun  start  to  set.   

 

    Back  in  Cape  Suzette,  the  mayor  had  sent  out  every  policeman in  the  city  to  search  for  his  step-daughter  the  trouble-maker. Hardly  anyone  knew  Alexandra.  Only  the  kids,  who  were  adults  now, who  went  to  school  with   her  knew  her,  but  hadn't  seen  her  for years.  Her  search  for  Xavier  had  ended  just  a  month  ago  and she  had  tried  to  keep  a  low  profile.

    The  mayor  was  going  nuts  by  the  end  of  the  day.  Two scenarios  went  through  his  mind.  Either  Alexandra  had  been abducted  or  her  irresponsibility  had  taken  over  and  she  left again. He  paced  back  and  forth  wondering.  A  knock  at  the  door startled  the  old  dog.

    "Come  in"  he  yelled.

    Jimmy, the  front  gate  guard,  walked  in  hesitantly. 

    "Sir,  there  still  hasn't  been  any  sign  of  Alexandra."

    "I  figured  that.  Jimmy,  are  you  sure  you  didn't  see  her  walk out  the  front  gate?"

    "No,  sir,  I  didn't"  the  short  cougar  lied.

    "Very  well,  you  are  dismissed."

    "I'll  keep  an  eye  out  for  her  sir."

    The  mayor  didn't  replied  to  Jimmy's  comment.  He  just  sat  at his  desk  frustrated.

    "Where  are  you  Alex?"  he  said  to  out  loud.

 

It  had  been  over  a  week  since  Alexandra  had  arrived  at  Pirate Island.  She  did  all  she  could  to  try  and  get  any  little  shred of  information  out  of  the  dozens  of  pirates.  Not  to  her surprise,  she  didn't  find  anyone  who  knew  anything  of  her  long lost  love. 

    She  walked  down  to  Karnage's  secret  room  which  she  only  had access  too.  She  saw  Karnage  leisurely  looking  out  his  bay  window slipping  on  some  kind  of  drink.  Alexandra  frustrated  flopped herself  in  his  Victorian  armchair. 

    "I  warned  you  none  of  my  crew  knows  of  this  Xavier"  he  said ironically  glancing  back  at  her.  She  folded  her  arms  at  the comment.

    "I  know  you  did.  I  just  didn't  believe  you."

    "You  should  believe  me.  But  you  are  entitled  to  think  on your  own.  I  cannot  change  that."

    "Yeah,  yeah,  yeah.  I  know  what  your  getting  up  too.  Your right.  I'm  wrong."

    Alexandra  stood  up  and  walked  up  to  him  taking  his  drink from  him  without  asking  and  took  a  sip.  Even  though  she  had only  been  there  a  week,  she  felt  so  comfortable  around  Karnage for  some  reason.  She  didn't  know  why.  She  just  felt  that  she could  be  herself  around  him  and  Karnage  was  loving  every  minute of  it.    

    "What  is  this?"  she  asked  in  disgust  handing  it  back  to  him.

    "It  is  my  own  creation."

    "I  bet  it  is.  What's  in  it?"

    "Pineapple,  banana,  kiwi,  a  little alcohol,  oysters…"

    "Oysters!  Why  the  heck  oysters?"

    "I  just  like  oysters.  Is  something  wrong  with  that?"

    "No"  she  said  taking  the  glass  and  drinking  another  sip.  Then handed  it  back  to  him  and  sat  back  down  in  the  armchair. 

    "I  thought  you  didn't  like  my  drink."

    "It  taste  like  garbage,  but  I  don't  care.  I've  drank  worst."

    Karnage  pulled  a  chair  from  the  table  and  set  it  down  in front  of  Alexandra  sitting  in  it. 

    "You  still  going  to  continue  your  search  around  here?"

    "Of  course,  I  am.  There's  one  thing  I'm  not  and  that's  a quitter."

    "Good,  because  I  have  invited  my  former  captain  here.  He  may know  the  whereabouts  of  this  Xavier."

    "Thank  you  for  doing  that."

    "Don't  be.  Usually  I  wouldn't  care  about  an  unsuccessful search  for  a  man  a  woman  wants,  but,  you  Alexandra,  I  rank  you up  top  with  me.  You  are  beautiful.  I  am  beautiful.  You  are intelligent.  I am  intelligent."

    "Thanks,  I  guess"  Alexandra  sat  for  a  moment  thinking. "So, you  said  you  don't  remember  anything  from  your  past."

    "I  cannot  remember  much.  I  can  recall  my  mother  though."

    "What was  she  like?"

    "She  was  tall  with  dark  red  hair.  She  was  polite.  That  is all  I  can  recall  of  her."

    "What  about  your  dad?"

    "There  is  no  father  in  my  memory."

    "Where  did  you  learn  how  to  play  the  violin?"

    "Full  of  questions  today,  aren't  you?"  he  asked  waving  finger at  her.

    "I'm  just  curious.  Is  that  all  right?"

    "It  is  all  right.  I  will  answer  your  question."

    "Good"  Alexandra  said  sitting  back  in  the  armchair.        

    "When  I  was  a  very  young  pirate,  I  was  with  my  former  crew plundering  a  mansion.  I  found  my  violin  there.  I  stole  it  and found  out  I  could  play.  I  didn't  know  how  to  play  before  then. I  just  know  how."

    "So,  you  just  picked  it  up  and  started  playing  it?"

    "Yes."

    "Huh!  That's  strange."

    "Basically,  my  past  is  darkness."

    Silence  fell  over  the  room  as  a  weird  tension  was  bounced between  the  pirate  captain  and  beautiful  ballerina.  Alexandra turned  away  to  stare  out  the  bay  window  so  she  could  avoid  the watchful  eye  of  Pirate  Captain  Don  Karnage.  He  stared  at  her  as much  as  he  could.  When  she  wasn't  looking,  he'd  take  in  a long glance every  time.  Alexandra  knew  he  was  looking  at  her.  She didn't  care  though.  She  actually  enjoyed  it.

    "May  I  ask  you  a  little  question?"  Karnage  finally  said.

    "Of  course,  you  can"  Alexandra  replied  returning  her  eyes  back to  his  face.

    "What  if  you  find  this  Xavier  and  he  does  not  want  you anymore,  or  if  you  never  find  him,  what  will  you  do?"

    "If  I  do  find  him  and  he  doesn't  want  me  anymore,  then  I would  of  wasted  half  my  life  finding  him  for  no  reason.  I'd surely  be  angry.  I'm  not  positive  of  what  I'd  do.  I  don't  like to  think  about  it."

    "If  you  did  find  him,  and  he  hurt  you  like  that,  I  will  be their  to  hurt."

    Alexandra  rested  her  hand  on  his.

    "Thank you."

    All  of  the  sudden,  they  heard  footsteps  and  shouting  up  in Karnage's  quarters. 

    "Capt'n!  Capt'n"  Mad  Dog  shouting  searching  for  Karnage. 

    "What  does  that  idiot  want?"

    "Maybe  your  guest  arrived."

    "That's  right. I  forgot  about  that  for  a  moment.  Well,"  he said  standing,  "let  us  see  what  he  wants."

    They  waited  till  they  heard  Mad  Dog  leave  the  upstairs  room. Karnage  didn't  want  any  of  his  crew  to  know  about  his  sanctuary. They  climbed  to  the  surface,  and  found  Mad  Dog  running  down  the way  to  find  his  captain. 

    "Capt'n!" 

    "Over  here,  you  bumbling  idiot!"

    "Capt'n,  I  finally  found  you.  Capt'n  Cutler  has  arrived."

    "Good.  Come.  We  go  greet  him  now."

    They  trekked  over  to  the  hangar  where  Captain  Cutler  had landed  his  plane.  The  older  cougar  was  just  climbing  out  of  his plane  when  Karnage  and  Alexandra  walked  in. 

    "Captain  Cutler,  its  good  to  see  an  intelligent  face  around her"  Karnage  said.

    "It  is  good  to  see  you  have  become  the  pirate  captain  I anticipated  you  to be"  he  said  shaking  his  ex-pupil's  hand. Alexandra  had  straggled  behind.  She  walked  up  behind  them  not seeing  Captain  Cutler's  face.  Finally  he  turned  to  her.   The  face she  saw  turn  to  her,  she'd  never  forget.  It  was  the  same  face that  kidnapped  her  and  Xavier  so  many  years  ago.  She  could  feel the  rage  boil  up  in  her  as  she  stared  at  that  face. 

    "You!"  Alexandra  yelled  jumping  at  his  neck.  Karnage  quickly wrapped  his  arms  around  her  waist  holding  her  back.   She struggled  to  get  loose.

    "Alex,  what  are  you  doing?"

    "It's  him!  You're  the  one  who  ruined  my  life!  Where  is  he?!" Alexandra  cried  while  being  dragged  off  by  Karnage.  Captain Cutler  watched  in  confusion  and  amusement  at  the  sight  of  the woman  lunging  at  him.  Karnage  hauled  her  to  a  near-by  empty  room and  closed  the  door.  Alexandra  run  to  the  door,  but  Karnage stopped  her.

    "It's  him!"  she  yelled  again.

    "What  are  you  talking  about?"

    "That's  the  pirate  who  kidnapped  me  and  Xavier.  I'll  never forget  his  face.  He  was  so  devious  looking."

    "I  can't  say  that  I  believe  you  at  this  moment,  but  I  go ask   Captain  Cutler."

    "I  knew  for  certain  that  that  is  him."

    "I  told  you  we  will get  this  story  accurate."

    Alexandra  placed  her  hand on  his  chest  and  looked  straight into  his  eyes  and  said,  "It's  him."    

 

    Karnage  left  Alexandra  to  herself,  and  went  to  talk  with Captain  Cutler  who  was  standing  around  asking  question  to  the crew.  Karnage  walked  up  to  him  hand  on  his  sword.  It  was  a habit  for  him. 

    "Cutler."        

    "Karnage,  what  in  heaven  was  that  female's  problem?  I  haven't gotten  a  reaction  from  one  of  those  like  that  since  I  scored that  wench  last  year.  She  said  I  was  using  her.  Well,  of course,  I  was  using  her.  What  else  do  you  do  with  women?"

    Karnage  looked  at  his  old  captain  in  disgust.  He  didn't  even have  that  perspective  of  treating  a  woman  like  that.  Cutler  had taught  him  everything  he  knew,  but , for  some  reason,  he  didn't pick  up  on  that.

    "Alexandra  is  a  little  upset  right  now.  May  we  go  someplace else  to  talk?"

    "Okay.  Lead  on.  I  haven't  seen  this  place  in  years."

    They  begun  to  walk  down  the  passageway  to  Karnage's  private quarters.        

    "So,  where'd  you  find  her?  That  woman  would  be  too  feisty for  me."

    "I  didn't  nessarally  find  her.  Me  and  her,  we  are  not anything  as  you  may  think.  I  am  just  helping  Alexandra  in  a search  to  find  a  missing  person."

    "You  help  a  female.  I  thought  I  taught  you  better  then that?"

    "Sorry  to  say,  Cutler,  but  I  have  a  little  shred  of  respect for  women."

    "I  don't  ever  remember  you  saying  that  before."

    "I  don't  remember  you  having  so  much  disrespect  for  women."

    Cutler's  eyed  his  ex-pupil  with  disbelief. 

    "So,  what  was  that  all  about  with  that  women  anyway?"

    "Alex  thought  she  recognized  you  from  a  long  time  ago.  She thinks  you  are  the  pirate  who  kidnapped  her  and  her  _friend_ when  they  were  children."

    "O,  really.  Well,  there's  no  doubt,  I  did.  But  she's mistaking  me  for  someone  else.  I  don't  ever  remember  kidnapping some  kids.  What  would  I  do  with  them?"

    "She  thinks  you  did something  to  her  friend. She's  been searching  for  him  for  a  very  long  time."

    "That  woman  is  mistaken.  I  tell  ya.  Who  do  you  believe?  Me, the  captain  who  made  you  what  you  are  today,  or  a  woman?"

    He  said  it  so  curt  that  Karnage  was  getting  suspicious. 

    "I  believe  you"  he  said  half  lying.  Right  now  wasn't  the time  to  take  sides.  Not  yet. 

 

    Karnage  left  Captain  Cutler  to  explore  on  his  own  while  he went  to  talk  to  Alexandra.  She  was  waiting  for  him  in  his secret  room  staring  out  the  bay  window  with  a  blank  expression on  her  face.  She  didn't  even  look  at  him  when  he  came  in. Karnage  brought  a  chair  up  to  her's  and  sat  down.

    "I  talked  to  him."

    "I  know  what  he  said.  He  said  he  never  saw  me  in  his entire  life."

    "Almost.  He  said  he  does  not  remember  kidnapping  any children."

    Alexandra  finally  looked  at  him.

    "Of  course,  he  doesn't.  He's  not  going  to  admit  it  especially to  you."

    "I'm  sorry,  Alex."

    "Don't  be.  It's  your  fault  that  your  old  captain  is  such a…well,  you  know  the  word."

    Alexandra  sighed  frustrated. 

    "I  feel  like  I'm  losing  faith  in  finding  him.  I  don't  know what  to  do  with  my  life.  Should  I  quit  searching  for  Xavier  or keep  my  endless  and  pointless  search  for  him."

    "Alex,  don't  talk  like  that.  You  said  you  were  not  a quitter."

    "Well,  maybe  I  should  become  one."

    "No,  you  shouldn't."

    "Why  shouldn't  I?  Right  now,  in  my  life  I'm  stuck  between  a rock  and  a  hard  place.  The  rock  meaning  my  devotion  to  Xavier, and  for  the  first  time  in  my  ten  years  of  searching,  I  have  a lead,  but  he  doesn't  want  to  admit  what  he did.  The  hard  place is  _you_.  For  once  in  the  almost  two  decades,  I  have  affection for  another."

    "Who?"

    "You!  Who  else?  I  don't know  what  it  is.  I  feel  so comfortable  around  you,  and  I  love  being  with  you.  You  remind  me of  Xavier  so  much  with  your  playing  the  violin  and  just everything."

    "Alexandra,  I  am  honored  to  be  the  one  you  have  affection for."

    "And  you  would  be.  I  gotta  go"  she  said  standing  up.

    "Where  are  you  going?"

    "To  my  room.  I  need  to  think  alone  for  a  while."

    "You  want  me  to  walk  you  to  your  room?"  Karnage  asked standing  up  as  well.

    "No,  I  can  get  there  by  myself,  but  thanks  anyway."  She leaned  over  and  kissed  him  on  the  cheek.  "For  everything."

 

    Alexandra  walked  out  of  Karnage's  room  fiddling  with  her  hair. Her  room  was only  a  short  distance  from  his.  She  was  there  in only  a  minute.  She  walked  in  her  room,  lighting  a  candle,  and closing  the  door. 

    "Hello  Miss  Bancroft"  she  heard  a  voice  from  behind  her.

    Alexandra  turned  to  see  a  figure  coming  out  of the darkness. It  was  Captain  Cutler  behind  her.

    "You!"  she  yelled  swinging  her  hand  toward  him,  but  he  caught it  before  it  could  hit  him,  and  violently  yanked  her  to  him. "I  thought  you  didn't  remember  me?"

    "O,  I  remember  you.  You  little  brat!  You  bite  me  right  here" he  said  pointing  to  his  right  arm. 

    "I  wanted  to  leave  a  lasting  reminder  of  what  you  did  to me.  What  I  want  to  know  is  what  you  did  to  Xavier?"

    "Ah,  yes.  Karnage  told  me  of  your  quest  to  find  that  boy.  I was  laughing  so  hard  inside.  That's  another  thing  women  are  good for.  A  good  laugh."

    "You  make  me  sick.  I  want  to  know  what  you  did  with  Xavier. Is  he  still  alive?"

    "He's  very  much  alive.  But  he's  not  Xavier  anymore.  Ya  see, his  past  is  darkness  to  him."  Darkness.  The  word  rang  a  bell  in Alexandra's  head.  It  was  the  same  word  Karnage  used  to  describe his  past.  "If  you  would  find  him,  he  wouldn't  know  who  you were.  He  can't  remember  you.  But  you'll  never  find  him.  I suggest  you  stop  your  quest  for  finding  him  now  before  I  stop it  for  you.  Go  back  under  the  rock  where  you  came  from."

    Cutler  pushed  her  aside  and  walked  out  proud  of  himself. Alexandra  started  to  put  the  pieces  together.  Darkness  was  used to  describe  the  past.  Karnage  plays the  violin.  Xavier  played  the violin.  Karnage  is  around  the  same  age  as  Xavier  would  be. Karnage  can't  remember  almost  anything  about  his  past  before  he became  a  pirate.  When  Alexandra  first  saw  him,  she  thought  he was  Xavier,  and  Xavier  had  the  same  accent  Karnage  does.  Only  it wasn't  as  strong. 

    *It  can't  be*  she  thought.  "No  wonder  why  I  felt  so comfortable  around  him.  And  I  felt  attraction  to  him  when  he kissed  me.  That's  never  happened  before.  Only  with  Xavier.  But what  if  he  is  Xavier.*

    Alexandra  bolted  out  her  room,  and  ran  to  Karnage's.  She hammered  on  his  door  with  her  fist  until  he  opened  it.

    "Alex,  what  do  you  need?"

    She  stepped  in  the  room  and  closed  the  door.

    "I  have  to  tell  you  something"  she  said  excited.  "I  can't believe  what  I  just  figured  out.  How  could  I  of  not  seen  it.  I was  so  stupid…"

    Karnage  grabbed  her  shoulders  and  stopped  her.

    "Alex,  what  is  it?"

    She  stared  into  his  eyes.

    "Your…"

    "Miss  Bancroft,  I  told  you  to  stop  your  search  and  go  back to  where  you  came  from"  Cutler  said  from  behind  them.  He  was pointing  a  revolver  at  Alexandra.  That's  when  she  knew  it  was true.  Cutler  had  keep  Xavier  for  his  own  use,  brainwashing  him. Making  him  forget  everything  he  knew.  She  knew  Karnage  had  to  be Xavier. 

    "What  is  going  on  here?"

    "Should  I  tell  him  or  do  you  want  to?"

    "Tell  me  what?"

    "I  can't  believe  you.  You wench!  I  thought  you  were  stupider then  you  look,  but  I  had you  all  wrong."

    "Looks  can  be  deceiving."

    Cutler  was  getting  angrier.  Alexandra  could  see  it  in  his face,  but  she  wasn't  scared.  All  she  knew  was  that  she  had found  her  lost  love. 

    "Would  one  of  you  tell  me  what  is  going  on  here!"

    She  turned  to  Karnage  forgetting  Cutler  had  a  revolver  aimed at  her.

    "You  know  how  much  I  say  you  remind  me  of  Xavier.  The  way you  look  like  him,  sound  like  him,  play  the  violin  like  him, kiss  like  him.  Well,  I  know  now  you  are  him."

    Karnage's  expression  became  even  more  confused  as  he  looked  to his  ex-captain  for  a  straight  answer.

    "Is  true  Cutler?  I  am  this  boy  who  Alex  says  I  am?"

    Cutler  knew  he  had  lost  the  fight  and  gave in  which  he  never did.  He  lowered  the  revolver.

    "Yes,  you  are.  I  kidnapped  you  and  this  wench  when  you  were children.  I  did  it  so  I  could train  a  young  influential  boy  who wouldn't  know  any  better.  And,  you,  were  perfect.  I  knew  I  could turn  you  into  someone  like  me."

    The  truth  finally  came  out  of  the  horse's  month.

    "I  want  you   to  leave  right  at  this  moment  captain"  Karnage ordered.  The  old  cougar  turned  gazing  hard at  Alexandra  clinching the  revolver  in  his  fist.  They  both  knew  that  she  had  won  the battle,  but  the  war  was  still  to  come.  Cutler  was  positive  he was  going  to  get his  revenge as  he  left  in  his  plane.    

    Alexandra  grabbed  Karnage's  hand,  and  embraced him  tightly.

    "I  knew  there  was  something  so  familiar  about  you.  I  didn't know  what  it was,  but  now  I  can  finally  stop."

    "Alex,  I  don't  know  what  to  say."

    "Don't  say  anything."

    With  that,  she  kissed  him  passionately.  It  took  a  few  moments for  them  to  retain  the  information  they  now  knew.  One  question popped  into  Karnage's  head.

    "What  are  you  going  to  do  now?"

    Alexandra  thought  for  a  second.

    "I  can't  say.  For  ten  years  I've  been traveling  around  the world  looking  for  you.  I  don't  want  to  go  back  to  Cape  Suzette. I  want  to  stay  with  you."

    "I  want  you  to  stay  with  me  too."

    "But,  can  I  stay?  I'm  not  a  pirate  or  a  thief.  And,  I don't  want  to  be  any  of  those  things."

    "You  don't  have  to  be.  I  am  the  captain  of  this  ship. Whatever  I  say  goes."

    "Good,  but  I  have  an  ultimatum  for  you.  I  love  the  fact that  your  taking  from  rich  snobs.  Because  I  do  not  like  those people.  But,  I  don't  like  the  fact  that  you  steal  from not-so-well-off  cargo  pilots  and  stuff.  I  give  money  to  those people  who  need  it.  I  don't  want  to  see  you  take  it  away  from them."

    It  was  a  big  sacrifice  for  Karnage  to  think  about. 

    "Can  I  think  on  that  thought?"

    "Go  right  ahead.  I  have  to  warn  you  now  that  I  have principles  and  I  can  be  just  as  stubborn  as  you are  about things."

    "Please,  stay  with  me  for  now."

    "For  now."

 

Back  in  Cape  Suzette,  Alexandra's  mom  and  step-father  waited patiently  for  her  return.  At least  when  she  went  in  search  for Xavier,  she  left  a  note.  This  time  she  didn't.  Finally,  almost two  weeks  of  her  coming  up  missing,  a  letter  was  found  in  their mailbox.  It  read:

 

Dear  Mom  and  Dad,

 

    Please,  don't  worry  about  me.  I  have  finally  found  my  one true  love,  Xavier.  I  know  you  two  never  really  liked  me  being with  him,  and  you  thought  I  was  insane to  go  looking  for  him. But,  I  found  him,  and  I'll  be  staying  with  him  for  a  while. I'll  keep in  touch,  and  see you  again  soon.  I  promise  I  won't  be gone  for  another  ten  years.

                                                                          

                                       Your  loving  daughter,

Alex


Return to Kit Cloudkicker Fanfics Page

Return to the Unofficial Kit Cloudkicker Homepage


Special Thanks to 50 Webs for providing space for this webpage. Click here to find out how you can get your free homepage and 60 Megabytes of webspace.