Return to 50 Webs.

The Terror of TerraStone

Chapter Three

Editor's Note: "Home Is Where The Heart Is" was written by Patty and Michael Silversher during the TaleSpin episode "Plunder and Lightning Part II" written by Alan Burnett and edited by Jymn Magon. The song was only played in the original Television movie on September 9th. It was edited out for the syndication version played during the week for November 18th,1990.


Gregory, Ernie and Kit were still walking deeper and deeper into the jungle on the second leg of their journey to the mountain with Kit Cloudkicker leading the way. Masamune seemed distracted again; his hadn't seen his brother since he was rescued after the bomb explosition near the police office jail. He never knew why Murasame wanted him free expect that he knew that he was a fugitive. Even if Gregory could clear himself of the murder charges trumped up againest him; the fact that he escaped justice would be enough to put him away for the rest of his life. And as for Craig; what if he's beyond help? Gregory didn't want to believe that for one second. However; it was getting closer and closer to being a reality it seems. ~How can I go on? This circle-around hasn't solved anything.~ he thought. However; for some reason; he knew that he had to continue on. He was the only one who could talk some sense into his brother and stop this horrible inhuman nightmare.

"Masamune; do you realize that Derek will be calling the SWAT team no matter what happens to us?" Kit asked once again breaking Gregory's thought process. Kit may be able to tell the tale behind the expressions of his captor's face; however, even he knew that he was no mind reader.....

"Yes I do..... But by the time he does make it; I'll be completed my mission." Gregory responded quickly; with a tear coming down his cheek but seemly unemotional.

"Gregory; Derek isn't going to give up until you're caught. Why not just give up now and tell the police that Craig Murasame is the..." Kit stopped seeing Gregory's face looking ready to erupt. Gregory had never been fully prepared for coping with the shock of the events that had happened to him six years ago.

"It's not that simple Mr. Cloudkicker.... The Windia police firmly believe that I did it!! Not to mention that they have made every police officer in Usland believe in them!! Even Derek Thursday now... " Masamune snapped; a second tear falls from his cheeks.

"If you can give them proof that you are innocent of murder charges....." Kit tired to say a complete sentance again.

"Kit; I said 'it's not thst simple.' Even if I prove that I'm innocent on murder; the fact that I did run away from the law and the fact that my brother is still on the loose would be enough to put me in prison for the rest of my life." Masamune said stopping Kit in mid-stream again.

"But Masamune... You cannot go on like this. At first I thought that joining the Air Pirates was the best thing in my life; that was almost 15 months ago." Kit explained.

"What are you trying to prove Mr. Cloudkicker?" Masamune asked teary-eyed. Ernie was even more surprised. ~Kit was an Air Pirate?~ he thought confused. What was even more surprising was that Gregory didn't react to the fact that Kit was an Air Pirate nearly 15 months ago. One would think and be shocked that a young 3' 9" 11 year old bearcub would ever join such an evil organization such as the Air Pirates. Why did this seemly cold yet warm bear not react to something like this? Did all those shocking events that made him stop crying finally start giving Gregory a chance to love again? Did Gregory know something about Kit? All of those questions would be answered.... in due time...

"Please Masamune! Call me Kit." Kit responded getting pretty tired of the formalities that Gregory was saying.

"Okay Kit; what are you trying to prove?" Masamune asked again; but not in the angry tone this time.

" The fact is that 15 months ago I joined the Air Pirates." Kit said again. Ernie just had to open his mouth now.

" Come on Kit! Even you are pulling my leg...... Who would believe that you would join the most evil organzation in its existance?" Ernie exclaimed; not believing a word that Kit said about this. ~Kit's too young for this!~ he thought.

" I believe you Kit." Gregory said not even reacting. Although at times; he was acting like he was freezing cold, but the warm heart of Kit was slowly starting to melt the misguided hunter's heart.

"WHAT?? You?" Kit said surprised. ~ Gregory Masamune, joining the Air Pirates? How can that be? He's too polite to be with a ruthless person like Don Karnage.~

" Yes I believe you. Anyway; what are you trying to prove to me?" Gregory Masamune asked for the third time now acting completely calm.

" When I joined the Pirates;" Kit began looking at Ernie first to make sure that he was listening; then turned his attention to Gregory;" I joined them because I wanted to fly an airplane. It was and still is my dream; it seemed to be the only thing that keeps me going in this world. Then when I saw what the Air Pirates were really all about; I had to leave. It's when I met Baloo and Rebecca Cunningham that I saw who I really was. Before I took off; I felt like I was on top of the world. I felt that I was free. I felt nothing more than a selfish young man who has had no good influences in my own life. I was free. I just didn't deserve it. I felt that the real world was always filled with evil and nothing else. I even thought about killing myself.... but I couldn't. Something in my heart prevented me from doing so. I always wondered why? It was the first night I spent with Miss Cunningham..."

" You are not a big fan of formalities and yet you are formal when it comes to Rebecca." Gregory stopped Kit again. ~Pretty rude for an otherwise good gentleman.~ Kit thought looking a bit annoyed.

" She doesn't like being called Becky. Baloo always seems to get under her skin about that. Although she tries to encourage me to say Becky; I stay away from it because if Baloo hears it he's going to complain.... that I'm getting special treatment because I'm a child." Kit stated his answer.

" I see. Continue on with what you were saying.. I'm sorry for my rudeness." Gregory responded almost sounding like he was reading Kit's mind.

"... well that's when I saw and heard the reasons why I never ended my dream....." Kit continued as Gregory listened on curious of what Kit had said:

 

**** September 10th, 1936

 

It was nightfall at Higher for Hire. Inside the old wooden structure laid a young golden she-bear on the seat of an old puffy sofa chair and seemed very restless; watching a 30-something medium brown she-bear wearing purple bed robes and slippers fixing the hammock that was part of a fun time earlier.

~Mommy? I don't like this place.~ a familiar voice squeaked out. It was Molly Cunningham; in her pink pjs sitting on the old sofa-like chair.

~Why not honey?~ another familiar voice said. That was Rebecca Cunningham who was in her purple robes looking at Molly; concerned that she was having problems adjusting to life outside of the rich and powerful.

~It's not like home.~ Molly squeaked out. But Rebecca had a plan; however, it was not the usual business plan that she was famous for. It was more like a plan of love; the one thing she felt she could live without.

 Rebecca starts to sing:
 
~Home is where the heart is, wherever you may be,
There'll always be a part of you here inside of me.
Home is where the heart is, whatever we may do,
There'll always be a part of me here inside of you.
Four walls may surround you and protect you from the storm,
But my two arms around you will keep you safe and warm.~
 
~But what if I'm not with you? Or - or what if I'm alone?~ squeaked Molly. Molly and Rebecca didn't realize that a 12-year
old bearcub was watching from an old window, seeing Rebecca and Molly hug each other. At first he seemed happy for them; 
but then the moment Molly opened her mouth he experienced a longing in his face. To him; what he heard was earth shattering.
 
~Remember where my heart is, you'll always have a home.
Remember where my heart is, and you'll always have a home.~

 

*** It was the first night that I met Rebecca Cunningham. I could somehow overhear Rebecca singing something; something that almost made me cry. I didn't think that she was singing it to Molly. She was singing it to me. She was trying to convince me that despite the fact that I was a dangerous young man; that she could take it. It was almost like Rebecca knew all along that I was in major trouble since I seemed too nice in her own eyes. Although she didn't mind me being polite per sec; I could feel that she was telling me to stop running away and embrace her because she felt that I could love people; if given the chance to do so. *** Kit voiced over.

 

Something in Masamune's mind finally woke him up. This whole search was not going to change anything or anyone's opinion about him. He had done excatly what Kit had done for the last five years; he had run away from his own problems instead of meeting them head on. He had proof of his innocence a long time ago and had it all along. He obstructed justice and it finally sank in. The excuse that the police brought him to this point was irrevalant now. Even if he finds his brother; he would never be able to gain the one thing he really needs more than ever: peace. He had to forgive the police now and the only way to do that was to turn himself in and give the justice system a chance to prove itself. Even if it may have been corrupt.....

"Look; Ernie and Kit. I don't want to see you get hurt. I'm sorry that I got you into two this mess. I'll tell you what I'll do. Once I have the pearl; I'll turn myself in and let you both go. I no longer blame the police for what happened to me and my brother six years ago. I'm tired of hurting people." Gregory said.

"Why so board? Why not turn yourself in now?" Ernie asked with a sense of ~I don't think we should trust him.~

" Well; I also want to capture the Master and bring him to justice." Gregory said with a giggle. But the giggle was rough; not the evil smirk that was used earlier.

"Why?" both Kit and Ernie asked.

"Because he's the leader who told a police force to shoot down my family's plane; told a police force to cover it up and turned my brother into this monster." Gregory said as his last words; "Look; we're almost there."

He pointed towards the sky. There it was; a huge mountain that was covering the sun which was near its last hour of sunlight. It looked more like a volcano with huge rocks than a mountain. There were no plants present on the mountain's steep slopes. It measured about 600 metres high; 1 km across and 2 km long. Still many questions left answered... including the question of who is this 'Master' Gregory was talking about? Kit and Ernie were soon going to find out who this `Master' and Gregory was going to find out what the 'Master' is really about.... The hard way!

 

Rebecca was still sitting underneath the Higher for Hire sign waiting with tears coming down her eyes. Even though she wasn't the young bearcub's mother; she couldn't help wonder why she was crying so much. Kit was just an employee to her; however, that's what the relationship between Rebecca Cunningham and Kit Cloudkicker was. Ever since that first night together where see saw Kit outside the window looking at her and Molly and to her; that song "Home Is Where The Heart Is" struck a chord with the young bearcub. It was a feeling of shock and was consider a sign that Kit Cloudkicker's life was never complete.....

"Rebecca? What is going on here?" said a voice; an angry voice at that; "If anything has happened to my son.... I'll....."

Five figures appeared on the dock. Two of them looked very familar as Will and S.D. walked towards the dock with three mothers in tow. One of them looked very similar to a certain 30 year old version of Airplane Jane that Baloo met quite a while ago; wearing blue shirt and yellow pants. Scott T. Cat's mother looked around 35 years old wearing green overalls and a purple long sleeved shirt. Lion Hazelnut's mother (as you can tell by her white fur) looked 25 years old and had blue eyes wearing a pink cotton candy like shirt and green pants and hazelnut shoes. They looked completely unstoppable now.

"S.D.? Will?" Rebecca said quietly looking up only to look back in absolute guilt. It was looking ugly now. She could just see it..... Lawsuit after lawsuit...... and there was no one to blame but herself. Not even Kit can be blamed for this.

"I'm sorry Miss Cunningham.... But there is a lot of fear and anger around Cape Suzette now that Gregory Masamune has been spotted." Will said feeling sorry for Rebecca. Will felt that everyone was basically fooled; although Rebecca was very easy to suduce whenever money; expanding the business or just simple romance were involved. S.D. looked at the adults arguing nothing but threats and shouting. ~Why cannot adults stop being so angry and try to resolve their differences differently? They are rubbing my fur the wrong way with this attitude.~ he thought for a moment when all of a sudden the seedy mechanic rushed from his workshop with Rebecca's little daughter Molly riding on the alieron.

"Hey Miss Cunningham.... Someone wants you on the radio." WildCat said as he led Rebecca to his tugboat style repair shop parked along the dock with the parents and kids in tow. The adults predictability angry; while the kids feeling more and more desentized by their anger. It was not a pretty sight and Rebecca was very close to giving up.

"Higher for Hire here....." Rebecca said with a weak tone. She sounded so hopeless.

"Is there a Rebecca here?" said a familiar voice on the radio. It sounded like a certain legendary pilot.

"Yes.... this that you Baloo?" Rebecca said thinking that this was the end of Higher for Hire. The business could never take anymore of this abuse.

"Yes ; and remember this.... I still don't like 'Higher for Hire' for a name. However; I have good news. We found the kids; they're on the island safe and sound. Derek has called for a police seaplane." Baloo spoke over the radio.

"Oh thank goodness!" they all said cheerfully and breathing a huge sigh of relief. S.D. saw how different they reacted to this latest turn of events. ~Typical! One minute they're screaming like someone has increased their taxes and the next minute they're cheering like this was the right idea. What a pile of gas!~ S.D. thought. In the parent's mind; however, the nightmare was over; but the questions remained. Why did Masamune let them go that easily?

"Is Kit alright?" Rebecca asked not convinced that her navigator/friend/surrogate son was safe and sound. To her Kit Cloudkicker seemed to always be a real target for hunters and Air Pirates. In her humble opinion; Kit was a dangerous child. However; that didn't stop her from loving Kit and she would protect him at all costs.

"I don't know Beckers. He and Ernie are not in the area. Masamune must've taken them to the mountain inland." Baloo called back. To Rebecca; this was a very bad sign.

"Oh, no! That means the killer...." Rebecca shrieked.

"Becky..... He's not the killer." Derek responded; stopping Rebecca in mid-stride. He now had the speaker of the two-way radio.

"WHAT??!!" Rebecca yelled out. Almost everyone on the docks at that time sounded surprised.

"Miss Cunningham; we have the wrong person here. Gregory Masamune is not the killer; his twin brother is. Craig Murasame." Derek said calmly. The reaction would be anything but.

"TWIN BROTHER?!! BALOO!! I told you Thursday was a nut-case when it comes to enforcing the law." Rebecca screamed still in shock over the fact that this _killer_ wasn't really a killer at all. It just makes no sense. However; as Spot and Derek discovered, nothing has made sense with this person of malice. It has gotten stranger and stranger. Masamune has predictability tortured Spot and of course most of Kit's friends; however, he has let Spot and most of Kit's friends go without even so much as touching them (expect for slapping Lars of course.). The Masamune Derek thought that he knew didn't let his victim's live period. It was finally starting to make sense.... Masamune was the wrong bear.

"Relax Becky; he might be the only one right now who can stop Masamune and try to convince him that they are here to help him find his twin brother Murasame."

"Murasame?" everyone said a little surprised. ~Right family, wrong person.~ everyone thought with fear. That meant that the real terror is still around to horrify the streets of Cape Suzette and Windia.

"Actually; their last names are Skywinds.... They are the very family that was shot down about six years ago and started this whole mess. It seems that the Air Pirates threatened a few members of the Windia police force to shoot down the Skywinds plane. Nobody knows why... because the only one who can really answer those questions is Gregory Skywinds himself." Derek stated as he continued to fiddle through Gregory's Diary.

"Skywinds?! I know about them. A friend of mine used be a pilot who was trained by the Skywinds a decade ago. So we now know who we are dealing with." Rebecca stated thinking heavily. To her; it was more than _just a friend_.

"Becky; it gets worse. It also seems that Don Karnage is involved..." Baloo said as he now has the radio microphone found on Masamune's plane.

"WHAT?!" everyone screamed out. To them Don Karnage was even worse than all of the Skywinds family put together. And the Skywinds used to be a good family; a legendary family; now their legacy shattered by greed and evil.

"We saw him flying toward TerraStone Island; to the eastern side of the island. Gregory must be meeting with him soon." Derek answered as now he had the radio microphone.

"I knew that Don Karnage was behind this. Only he would want something that is worth a fortune." Rebecca said angerly.

"Miss Cunningham? That pearl is priceless.... It's clear that Don Karnage doesn't want it to gain money. According to Gregory's Diary; Gregory Skywinds knew about TerraStone Island almost 2 years ago. He heard about it from the newspaper clipping stating that a ship was found abandoned on the east side of the island. Nobody was found; but the rescue team did find that the seaplane was missing. Skywinds felt that someone did manage to escape from the terrible tragdey there; but he didn't know who." Derek was almost out of breath at this point.

"That's besides the point. Gregory Masamune must be stopped now before he starts becoming like his twin brother. These events might be the indicator to him becoming like Craig." Lars mother exclaimed feeling scared.

"I know Becky. Ah the seaplane is here and the kids should be back here safe and sound." Baloo now has the microphone. This was becoming too much of a habit right now. However; it seemed to be over now as a loud roar was heard as a medium-sized black-blue seaplane owned by the Cape Suzette Air Police Department landed near the shoreline and the doors opened ready to take passengers. Lars, Scott and Lion all ran towards and entered the seaplane without delay.

"Thank goodness. But I'm worried about Kit." Rebecca said in part relief; part fear.

"We'll try to stop Mr. Skywinds from causing further harm. Derek Thursday over and out." Derek said as he replaced the microphone back into the brown rental plane.

"They must have gone into the forest. Let's go...." Sara said as they went into the forest looking very worried now. ~ Please my lord! Protect my son so that my daughter's life was not in vain.~ she thought a tear fell down her cheeks. Baloo and Derek went forward only to turn around to hear the seaplane begin to roar again.

The seaplane left with the kids and by the time it was all over and done with the sky become pitch-dark with beautiful stars giving just enough light to see. It was 9:00; night time....... for Derek Thursday; many questions were answered despite the fact that it only led to even more questions. Three innocent children were rescued and things were starting to look brighter...... the bottom had indeed been found at last!

But; now the hard part begins......

 

Night time...... 9:15 PM....... The moment of truth has officially begun.

Three CT-37's spiraled down towards the eastern part of the island; where it was only a short walk to the volcano.... Don Karnage was smiling from ear-to-ear. His plan to get the Pearl of Wisdom and plunder the riches of Cape Suzette with it was going along smoothly. He knew more about this pearl then even Masamune did; or at least he thought he knew more than Masamune did. A few months ago; Don Karnage stole an old libary book believed to be accounts of the Pearl of Wisdom's power. While the book contained writings which he didn't understand; he knew that the Pearl of Wisdom contained power beyond his wildest dreams. More valuable then the famed Sub-Electron Power Ampilfiler and more powerful then it. He had to have it; in order to go down in Earthia's long history as the king of terror.

If only his crew was even half as intellegent as he is....... Don decided to stop smiling and give more commands by the radio. Instead of yelling at Mad Dog and Dumptruck which he always seem to like doing [Read: If only to boost his already inflated ego]; it was to his crew waiting further orders from the airship of Terror- The Iron Vulture.

' Now you pirates who won't have the time to give the insect his justy-dessert; can prepare the Iron Vulture; the wonder-terror of nature's great blue skies for the ultimate master invasion of the city that "Never gives me a chance to love them to the last drop of smelly sweat.".' he said delightfully. His acting has at least in his own egoistical mind is what got him this far. What he didn't realize was that Mad Dog and Dumptruck were using the radio to talk to each other on a different tune. Don Karnage forbids that; mainly to keep his crew in-line with him only. But as the story goes; if Mad Dog and Dumptruck were half as intellgent as Don Karnage.....Well you get the picture by now...

'Hey Mad Dog; the Captain's got actor's syndrome again.' Dumptruck stated feeling good about himself. He waited for the moment when Kit would show the signs of compassion; something Kit considered a weakness well before he met Baloo. To him; despite his lack of intellgent humor. Kit's sequence of giving up was a sure sign that Baloo had successfully unlearned Kit's learned behaviour; making Kit a much more tamer target now. Unknown to Dumptruck was that Kit was only doing it to protect his friends from the torment. If Kit alone was tortured for the same reason; he wouldn't have given up. To him love and compassion were not weakness; but his strength. That kept Kit going; not airplane flying like Don Karnage thought it was.

'Ssshhh; the Captain's gonna gives us more bonky-bonky if we talk like that. You know Don does not allow us to talk using the radio.' Mad Dog said with a rush of panic. He knew Don Karnage was a crazy and unstable person and even the slightest imperfection or lack of respect for his authority may force Don into a frenzy in the likes that no one could ever stop. Expect for Don Karnage himself.

'Sorry.' Dumptruck said as he put the microphone back to its holder. Mad Dog did the same.

"Now; it is time to land;" said Don Karnage laughing in his usual laugh;" It is now time to show off the grace and beauty of the perfect landing." I don't have to remind you again......Thank you. Don Karnage and the Air Pirates prepared for landing on the sandy beach. the landing strip was large enough to land all three planes safely. But Mad Dog and Dumptruck weren't quite experts at landing through....

The CT-37's land on the smaller beach. Don Karnage's plane lands perfectly. However; Mad Dog and Dumptruck just overshoot and their planes managed to crash into the trees. Both pirates managed to jump out of their planes safely and unhurt. At least from the planes.... Don Karnage couldn't believe it. His ego was deflated in one fell swoop. Remember about Don Karnage's temper.....

"Look what you bonkheads did?! Now we'll have to find another plane." Don Karange said in a fit of rage. Those planes take up to four months to rebuild from parts. Six months from scratch. He didn't like to be short of CT-37's. Most importantly; he doesn't like it when his men cannot preform what he said perfectly. Its not a pretty sight.

"Maybe you can tie us to your plane and fly us home." Mad Dog said with a dumb tone. Don Karnage was steamed; but saw the humor behind it and decided to let this joke go. ~ Maybe I should......prehaps you'll grow brains by then! Never mind!~ Don thought confused.

"I maybe the master of torment. But there are limits...... Wait a mintuet!" Don Karnage said as he saw that a minor change to the plan to backstab Masamune was in the Don Karnage wood shed now.

"Don't ya mean Wade Da Minnute? Why would we want something from the starting pitcher for the Cape Suzette Sox?" Dumptruck said with a dumb smile. Don Karnage was trying very hard to hold back his emotions. He knew that pushing of personal buttons costed him his former protege Kit Cloudkicker when he tried to extract information from Kit about the whereabouts of the stone.

"You two would make the Laurels and Hardys everywhere proud..... but..... WE...ARE....PIRATES!! NOT COMEDY ACTS!!" Don Karnage screamed. He was about the raise his fist; but he decided that he was better off not doing that. ~I don't want to damage their brains to the point where they become worthless to my pirate cause.~ he thought looking demented; but calm.

"Sorry Captain." both pirates said with remorse. Don Karnage decided to accept them and tell them his new plan.

"It's a okay. You always make mistakes sometimes. Anyway I have slightly changed the master plan. Once we pull the Karnage-shuffle on that cold insect and shuffle out him and Mr. Clownkicker and boy. You two will go the western side of Terrorstone Island. You boys can use Masamune's plane." Don Karnage said seething with joy and glee like nothing else before.

"Goody Captain! But didn't Masamune legally rent out the plane?" Mad Dog asked almost asking for an insult. Don Karnage was miffed once again.

"So what if he rented out the plane? We are pirates! We steal from others Mad Donk! Now come on... we have three young men to shuffle out." Don Karnage said gritting his teeth getting ready to strike. Mad Dog and Dumptruck couldn't find any real use to agrue with their jolly captain [if that's humanly possible] so they tagged behind Don Karnage as Don blazed a path towards the fake volcano using his sharp cutlass. Don Karnage just couldn't wait to finally put his plan into action; not to mention rub it in that Kit actually broke for the first time since he first met him 15 months ago.

But was Masamune ready for him?

 

9:15 PM..... At the volcano; Gregory decided to untie both Kit and Ernie feeling that they would not run away from him now that he has gained their trust. Kit decided to wait until Gregory was ready to flash the question. However; Ernie still felt that Masamune was creepy and decided to make a run for it. Gregory saw Ernie run away and flashed a smile. ~ What a brave kid! Too bad he's about to reap what he sowed from running away from me!~ he thought as he made no attempt to run after him.

"Erine I wouldn't run off if I were you." Gregory said with a wicked smile.

"And why not?" Ernie shouted back stopping to think of why this cold man wasn't chasing him. Maybe he felt Ernie was no longer needed as his insurance policy.

"That path leads to the Tickle Tricksters village. There is no escape there. I suggest you come back here." Gregory stated to Ernie flashing that smile even more proudly than ever. Ernie's face turned him into a cold sweat. The awful memories of being tickled by those Tricksters made Ernie blood run cold and the image of seeing himself in a compromising poisition once again was too hard for him to bear. He had enough laughs for one day.

"What a flake!" Kit said laughing as he sees the so-called 'tough' Ernie Mandate walk back towards Masamune in a pile of cold sweat. He look so defeated.

Ernie just blushed. Gregory had bested him without even lifting a finger. Kit laughed out loud. Gregory Masamune just looked at him smiling but he decided againest laughing. It was time to finally flash the question to his real prize: Kit Cloudkicker.

"So Kit; Can you show me how to enter TerraStone?" Gregory asked serious and ready to give Kit a piece of his mind. However; it had been a long time since Kit was last here. Kit was known for keeping his memories no matter how good or bad they were away from him. He thought for years that he would never need to come back to the places that caused him so much pain. It shows that even when he least expects it; everytime he tries to kick that dark cloud to the back of his life, it always seemed to come back stronger than ever. And sometimes as in this case; there were innocences with him.

"I don't remember. I was here four years ago and things changed from here." Kit said with a gulp almost thinking about what Gregory was about to do next. He just couldn't because it would be too painful to show.

"That's okay. You'll know how." Gregory said flashing another wicked smile. Gregory was a patient man now and he felt that he had all the time in the world. Baloo would still be in the forest and the "Master" would soon be here soon; giving some extra manpower.

"How?" Kit asked. With one motion; Gregory gently banged his fist on of the stone surface. The result was a quiet thumping sound.

"Knock on stone. I'm sure that a different sound will reveal the enterance." Gregory said. Now it was Ernie's turn to laugh.

"Well; Kit. Turnabout is fair play." Ernie laughed out loud. Gregory was simply loving this. He had not been around children in a long time; mainly because he had been on the run for so long. Kit blushed for a quick moment and then proceeded to gently hit the stone faces with his paws. Ernie decided to join in on the action soon. It took about 15 minutes before Kit finally hit a stone that in fact sounded different from the others.

"That stone sounds different. Maybe this one." Kit pointed as Gregory Masamune stepped forward just to make sure that Kit wasn't lying.

"Yeap; this is the one all right!" Gregory said as he gently pounded the same stone Kit just hit moments ago. Finally; the first stage can be completed at last.

"I guess that means me and Ernie have to....." Kit said thinking that Gregory was going to order them to remove the rocks by themselves. But Gregory would have none of that as he shook his head. ~ The rocks are too heavy for Kit and Ernie to move themselves. I have an idea. I hope this works.~ he thought.

"Stand well back you two.....This'll do." Gregory then took out a long, thin and very sharp katana-like sword as Kit and Ernie did as they were told. Once he knew they were safe Gregory carefully raised his sword up into the air and in one firece motion drove the blade of the sword into the hard stone. In a few seconds the rocks basically split into two and were shattered to the side of the opening. His theory was correct..... the final product revealed the door into TerraStone Mountain. Gregory just stood there sweating and breathing very heavy with his sword to the side in front of him. He looked at the handi-work that he just did.

"I may be cruel but I have my limits." Gregory said. Kit and Ernie stepped forward to see the large dark room inside once the dust completely settled. Kit's jaw dropped. How could one thin sword create a 200 square foot opening made out of stone?

"That's a neat sword! How do you do that?" Ernie asked in total amazement. No sword could crush a rock that easily. Where did it come from?

"I don't know. It's the first time I've ever used it. I didn't even know it could crush rocks into sand. But even if I did know; it is my little secret. Got it?" Masamune proclaimed as he put his sharp katana blade away; back into the protective holder near his hip. He knew that any sword was dangerous and didn't like showing off in front of children even though Kit has had that sword near his throat dozens of times before and after meeting Baloo. He didn't like using it at all unless it was to crush rocks; chop food (vegetables, meat, fish, chicken) or defend himself from crazy Air Pirates like Don Karnage. He would rather not tell kids about them.

"Got it!" both kids said in a semi-sweat.

"Well; my weaken ex-pirate; my unimportant cat; and the wonderful cold-bear." said a beckoning voice that was very near.

It sounded so familiar and Kit Cloudkicker blood instantly went cold. To him there was no doubt where that voice came from. It came from the terror of the skies; the man who in an ironic twist took him in not as father/son relationship but as a relationship of convenice and tainting his future. Kit, Ernie and Gregory turned around and saw Don Karnage holding him trusty cutlass with the blade towards the sand. (Safety first you know!) Mad Dog and Dumptruck were right beside him ready to make sure that the child prisoners did not escape. To Kit Cloudkicker; this was the "Master" that Masamune was talking about and it made him shiver despite the fact that Kit wore a sweater and it was warm even at night. Kit has never forgotten the mistake that he made by signing on to the Air Pirates; nor the way Don Karnage treated him when Kit betrayed him. Not because he hated him; but because he felt that what Don Karnage did was wrong. Kit was not ready to forgive him at this time for what he has done to him nor will his friend Baloo ever forgive him for tormenting a 12-year old kid who was completely closed off because of the fear of Kit's trust. Speaking of trust; Kit began to wonder now; was the honeymoon between Gregory and him was over; that was it just another act?

"Master Karnage?" he said to Don Karnage proving Kit's point without question.

"It is I; the wonderfully groomed and amazing pirate...." Don Karnage said giving his beloved and annoying speech to the millions of sand particles; trees and of course three uninterested furries. Gregory Masamune was looking very weird ~ He didn't call me wonderful just because I really am. Something's afoot. ~ he thought.

"Don Sabatoge..." Kit responded angerly in a fit of cold rage. He has had a bitter rival with Don Karnage ever since he decided to break away from the evil that tried to keep him there for so long. Don Karnage was steamed; he doesn't like petty insults about his own name and he certainly doesn't like it when it's a traitor saying that.

"It is Karnage... Don Karnage.... I can't believe no one ever gets it right." Don Karnage yelled out his voice filling the night sky with uncontrollable venom. Gregory knew something was wrong and tried to get a line in.

"Well; Karnage. If you stop saying Clownkicker to Kit; maybe he wouldn't be name-calling you now. Don't you think." Gregory said flashing a smile. Don Karnage was pretty upset at this because he also doesn't like being upstaged by people who he thinks are below him. Again; this is a problem of the massive inflated ego that Don Karnage has and one that will not go away. Kit soon realized it. ~Gregory's an Air Pirate himself.~ he thought ~ How would he know that Don calls me Clownkicker.~

"Read my lips.... I am a pirate... I don't do thinking...." Don Karnage said pointing his cutlass at the chest of the bear hunter. However; Gregory Masamune surprisely stood his ground looking straight at Don Karnage.

"That's funny..... Your the captain of this outfit and yet you don't think. No wonder you cannot get into Cape Suzette..." Gregory Masamune said smiling. Mad Dog and Dumptruck tried to get a few giggles in but Don Karnage spotted that instantly and started to blow steam rapidly. Mad Dog and Dumptruck stopped the moment they saw the steam coming out of Don Karnage's injured ears.

"You're pretty smart for a silly-bear type person....."Don Karnage said with a wicked smile. ~And a bad jokester at that!~ he thought. By this time Don Karnage was able to put his sharp Regal Cutlass blade away.

"But I didn't come here to play 'Pirate Smarts'. Let's get this over with. Come on Kit it's time to find The Pearl of Wisdom ....Ernie you are coming too!" Gregory said as they entered the opening to the inside of the city of TerraStone. Kit and Ernie followed him carefully knowing the dangers that Don Karnage was. Don Karnage, Mad Dog and Dumptruck followed them watching them closely to make sure that none of the captive trys anything funny. Don Karnage also wants to make sure that Masamune doesn't get the drop on him.

Now back to Baloo.....

***

Like some buzzing killer bees trying to sting to death some sadist victim; Baloo, Derek Thursday, and Sara Mandate were quickly running into the thick TerraStone jungle; each one huffing and puffing and somehow managing to keep themselves from tripping over each other. At least Sara and Derek were trying to keep their mind on carefulness. Sadly; Baloo thoughts were only to rescue Kit at all costs weither it was out of shame or out of selfish arogrance. Whatever the case might be; Baloo forgot to watch out for where he was going and accidently tripped onto a large tree root and all four hundred pounds plus of flabby bruin fell down to his mid-section and not to mention flat on his own kisser. Derek and Sara stopped running and return to sees Baloo on his knees cursing under his breath.

"Are you okay Baloo?" Derek asked concerned as Baloo continued to grumble and swear under his breath and sucessfully gets up unharmed.......expect for his ego of course.

"I tripped." Baloo said with a pinch of anger still in the paranoid state of fear. What if the Air Pirates have discovered the troop? The thoughts that Baloo had were bordering on delusional.... Derek didn't like this state as he has seen this kind of psycotic behaviour all too often and the end of a furries' life is often the result. Derek had to be clam and action quickly.

"You got to be more careful...." Derek said trying to calm Baloo down. However; it was to no avial; once Baloo got into a certain type of habit as only a creature like Baloo would obtain; it was nearly diffcult; if not impossible to stop him from the directive path.

"Carefulness is going to kill this child...." Baloo said with a panic. Sara stopped in a somewhat disbelief; to her this was a sign that could not play well in the minds of people attitude when it comes to single parenting.

"Carelessness is going to kill us all let alone Kit...." Derek said annoyed that Baloo would ever resort to playing that type of card; "BE CAREFUL!!"

"How do you know?" Baloo hissed directly at Derek. Luckly; Derek's experience with questioning criminals and witnesses trained and conditioned him to remain calm and collected. Otherwise he would be completely shocked at the notion that this bruin would ask such a question when he knows the answer all too well.

"I _am_ a single father...." Derek said firmly with a moral tone; "....just like you."

"And I'm _a_ single mother....." Sara chimed in angerly.

"And I'm almost gone....." Baloo said wallowing in self-pity realizing that his lack of good parenting skill was once again the cause of his own pain. "if we don't find Masamune!" To Baloo; he knew that if Don Karnage was involved, he will do anything in his power to bring Kit back to the Air Pirates. Or worse yet; Don would even try to finish what he started with Dumptruck throwing off the Iron Vulture just a couple of months ago. As much as Derek's words were noble and the right thing to do under these latest turn of events; being calm was not going to bring Kit out of this alive. Sara had her own reasons the defend Derek. Kit's new friend was also in the same boat and if anything goes wrong; Sara will do everything to bring justice to her son againest all who caused this terror to exist. Baloo's only hope now was to calm down just enough to keep himself from going insane.....Now back to our regular motion to terror.....

***

It was almost over; at least it seemed for Kit. He didn't know what Don Karnage was going to do to him and Ernie after Don finds the Pearl of Wisdom. Even if Gregory keeps his word; Don Karnage wasn't going to let them go after all; he nevers lets anyone go. Kit remembers the time when he was almost forced to kill someone and yet he refused; stating that it was immoral. Could Don Karnage order Gregory to run Kit on his sword or will he refuse? No time for explainations as they entered the volcano like mountain and the first thing that went through Gregory's mind was to turn on that flashlight because it would be pitch black down there; at least for the first part anyway... Ernie and Gregory looked around and found the beginning of a spiral, winding staircase that headed straight down to the bottom of somewhere hopefully a room to the famous Pearl of Wisdom. Masamune's flashlight was not strong enough to see the bottom of the stairs so they continued to walk down.

"Who were they?" Ernie pointed to a number of statues at the near bottom of the stairs. There were at least eighteen of them; all looking like statues made out of pure stone. Seven of them were mice each wearing brown/almond colored shirts and explorer berets; Seven were lions; Three were deers wearing the same outfits and one was a monkey that had a face similar to the monkey waiters at Louie's and was wearing the same outfit expect that he was wearing a straw-colored Outback-type hat. Kit had a huge chill down his spine and then a sudden cry beckoned from the young bearcub's body. He had seen that face before....

"Oh my gosh! NO! I've lost you too Professor!" Kit screamed unware that Gregory was right behind him. ~ That proves it! This is the lost kid all right!~ Gregory thought as he put his glare at Kit and then jumps onto him pushing him back towards the back of the stone wall; causing Kit to whince slightly in pain.

"Wait a minute! Kit; you got some explaining to do." Gregory said firmly and with a rare fit of rage almost ready to give Kit another rough lesson, " about everything from these statues to why you know so much about Terrastone. Admit it! You're that kid that went missing four years ago."

"Now, Now hunter of Shiva."; Don Karnage added showing signs of convient diplomacy. Shiva is considered to be the queen of ice which is in relationship with Gregory's recent cold personality. A powerful stare of coldness and anger showed on Masamune's pale face.

"It's not my fault that Mr. Cloudkicker has excess baggage...." he lets go of Kit as he kneeled down in pain; with Ernie going right beside him to comfort him; "I have enough of that on my own already as it is...." he hissed icy and cold foam. Kit simply had enough; the only way that he would ever see Baloo again at this rate was to open up another moment of his past.

"Okay; Gregory. If it pleases you......" Kit said holding onto his chest with a slight whince in his voice; "It started four years ago when I was on the streets in Qulopolis. I was on the streets in Qulopolis for at least five weeks; I don't quite remember. However; one day, I managed to find a petty job on a 'help wanted' sign in the docks area of the city. While it was a job for peeling potatoes and preparing food; I needed the money desperately, so I decided to apply for the job on Dock#1B. When I arrived; I found out that the voyage was a follow up exploration towards the island of TerraStone. I was surprised to find out that only a few people were joining into the voyage. I'd overheard some conversations that a previous trip had cursed the entire crew and that's the reason why no one wanted to join in the 'fun' as the professor said."

"Who was this professor?" Gregory asked.

"Professor Nickelndime." Kit commented continuing the editorial; "He was a reliatively cheap fellow in the sense of paying his crew for such a dangerous; but he did show a love for exploring islands. When I showed up in his presence; he at first dismissed me outright for being too young; but then he realized that he didn't have a sailor cook on his watch. Since he needed to leave for TerraStone Island the very next day; he changed his mind and let me come aboard. It was very funny this boat; also actually had a Sylphia Alton SA-21 seaplane with Superflight 20's; a standard version of the Superflight 100's Baloo had in the SeaDuck. It was sitting on the front deck of the iron ship."; Don Karnage now knew how Baloo was able to destory his plans time after time; "We set sail from Qulopolis harbor very early in morning and we went almost 215 miles south-southeast of Qulopolis straight towards the island. The trip to the island was uneventful; since I spent most of the time peeling potatoes and preparing food. It was a embrassment to my pchyse; but I needed the money and besides, it was weeks since I was able to stay in one place. Well; on a boat anway. We arrived at TerraStone Island in less than five days; and Nickelndime decided it was time to deploy the seaplane onto the water; apparently to takes photos of the island from the air. The foot trip towards the island was uneventful and took less than three hours. I was allowed to go with the group; but only as an extra scout mainly because we had only eighteen crew members besides me because of the curse. When we got to the fake volcano; we took our lunch break and Nickelndime was trying to find a way to get inside. According to TerraStone legend ; the civilization lived underground to protect itself from the evil from above. I for fun decided to knock on each stone until suddenly on the largest stone made a different sound; hence that was where the door was. Nickelndime was so impressed with my preception that he decided to make me the lead scouter and armed me with a flashlight."

"So how did the professor become a stone statue?" Ernie asked.

"I don't know..."; Kit said shaking his head; "..When we got to this point; it appeared that the last crew's curse was starting to come ture. When I shined my flashlight towards the door; I found that the opening was covered with dozen upon dozens of snakes. A few of the snakes below them didn't move at all and looked stone colored. Professor Nickelndime ordered someone with flying experience to return to the ship; even though he had no one execpt me who was even interested in flying let alonee able to fly. Quickly I ran upstairs as the snakes started to sucessfully push themselves out of the small opening and exited through the door. I ran and ran as fast as my legs could carry me. I'm simply afraid of snakes; I don't know why. At any rate; I ran towards the ship and entered the deployed seaplane and attempted to fly the plane. This was finally a chance to test out my skills as a pilot. But instead of a sucessful takeoff; I wasn't able to get the seaplane off the ground. The seaplane simply skidded on the water for nearly 15 hours before it finally ran out of fuel and landed at the city of Ziona." Kit started to show tears; "That was the first and last time I ever acted like a coward and abandoning someone. I never heard of the prefessor again; until now that is."

"I see...." Gregory said feeling warm hearted and thinking that there will finally be hope for all that walk on this island once again; "This explains plenty. I'm not surprised that you aren't a murderous freak like you proably would have been considering the countless images of real violence and profane talk that you encountered for the last five years.....I envy you in fact...." Kit was very amazed indeed. Gregory Masamune was able to accurately account the degenerate, vulgar behaviour that he suffered. The problem here is that Gregory has been on the run longer than he was and has had time to digest the curel world that he has so far seem. They were one in the same.....and surely Murasame is far worse than even Gregory has mentioned so far; when left unchecked.

"We are here at another door..." Ernie points out as he and the train managed to get to the bottom of the inside of the fake mountain; pointing to a large iron door with a leather pull ring in the middle; which the iron door looked out the ordinary; "This must be it." Mad Dog and Dumptruck both grab onto the leather pull ring and pull the door open. The opening of the doors would reveal a surreal experience and also a somewhat exciting moment. The city of TerraStone was opened for the first time in nearly three years; littered with stone and ground buildings all around sitting on solid rock foundations spread randomly apart. Almost all of the building were one story buildings expect for the exact center of the city which had two stories and was brightly lit from some sort of blue flame on the top of the ceiling of the city. Ernie and Don Karnage along with his two pirate partners stood in absolute awe. It was like discovering the ultimate treasure although Kit had yet to tell Masamune exactly where the Pearl of Wisdom is. Kit Cloudkicker hanged his head in shame however; shameful that he had to let his new friend Ernie see all the terror that has happened. The excess baggage that Kit processed was coming back to bite him and he knew it. ~What else could happen now...?~ he thought in a shameful thought. As for Gregory; well he didn't care as he stares directly at the shameful Sinea-brown bearcub.

"Okay Mr. Cloudkicker...." Gregory tried to ask Kit where the Pearl of Wisdom was but Don Karnage started to grow impatient.

"Yeah; Mr. Clownkicker? Which entrance is the holding for the Pearl of Wisdom?" Don Karnage hissed with a high pitch voice and draws his Regal Cutlass towards Kit's nose; "And no guessing type games!!"

"It's right in there...." Kit points directly to the small yet tall two-story building in the exact center of the city. Gregory and Don Karnage nodded their heads in approval as it made common sense for something valuable to be hidden in the center of all things TerraStone. Feeling gleeful; Don Karnage puts his Regal Cutlass away.

"Thank you Mr. Cloudkicker...." Gregory said firmly and strongly;"Lead us to it..."

"Yes; Mr. Masamune." Kit obeyed without question.

"It'll finally be over....." Masamune said feeling the aura that was pulsing through his veins. He can finally get to play the role of hero and bring the leader of the Air Pirates; the _Prince of Pirates_ to proper justice. Even though he knew that he would also have to face justice for his actions in kidnapping and torment of innocent children; at least his attempts would not go in vain. Hopefully; he can find his brother and reunite with him.... Although he would lose his freedom; he was willing to trade his freedom for his brothers safety and treatment of whatever demons that were invading his body and spirit. Little did he know that the tide was about to turn againest his favor.....

**

The center room inside the ruined city. Inside the room was a mostly-empty space which was about 2700 feet cubed in total volume with the walls made of solid stone (irregular rocks of solid, pure limestone) which the edges are dulled servely to the point where the edges are in fact smoothed out. There wasn't much in the room exepect for a small limestone mount in the center of the room and the odd lamp that was surprisely lit with a equally odd-blue flame. The blue flame allowed for the grace or disgrace of the magical Pearl of Wisdom to shine brightly towards it latest showcasers: Gregory 'Masamune' Skywinds, Don Karnage, Mad Dog, Dumptruck, Kit Cloudkicker and Ernie Mandate. The troop walked in slowly making sure that they could all fit into that room. Don Karnage face lit up... for years he was trying to find something that he could use as a crutch againest the city of Cape Suzette; a goal in which he wanted to plunder for so long. Destorying the city to him was a bad ideal; plunding the city was great to him since if the city was really turely moral; then nobody would care how many belongings they actually had. Their lives were more important.....Gregory on the other hand showed little emotion; for him the trap was set; he grabs the pearl and attacks Don Karnage; injuring him and his crew. Then he would wait for Derek Thursday to come in and arrest him and those Air Pirates. To Masamune; if the captain was arrested then the Sky Pirates would be effectively history. As long as Kit and Ernie aren't involved in this affair; everything would be sweet.....

"There it is.....The Pearl of Wisdom." Gregory proclaimed. Kit decided to look at the dreaded object that got his friends into so much trouble. He hated the object so much now that he wished that he could just take that pearl and just throw it away. To him this was materialism at its worst. However; something in that forbidden pearl started to enter images into Kit's already overwhelmed brain. Something was wrong about this so-called treasure that an unknown hunter with no emotion and a greedy air pirate captain wanting it for some brain-hared schemce. Ernie Mandate; still feeling some distrust over all this started to examine the green object and discovers that the pearl is transparent and not opaque. That led Ernie to think of only two conclusions: ~Either the almighty is more amazing that even I thought....or this is not the Pearl of Wisdom.~

"Kit; I thought pearls were supposed to be opaque." Ernie said remembering that her mother sometimes wears a pearl necklace which has white opaque pearls; "This pearl is transparent." Gregory turns towards Don Karnage seeing him and his two mindless bodyguards standing behind him laughing uncontrollably. He realized it: Pearls are not transparent!

"Wait a minute!" Gregory realizing that he had been duped; "This isn't the Pearl of Wisdom at all."

"That's right you stupid bear! It's the Emerald of Purifaction." Don Karnage proclaimed as he was holding a container that he took out seconds before Gregory turned around.

"YOU TRICKED US!" Ernie hissed directly at Masamune. Gregory couldn't believe it nor could he blame Ernie for feeling that Masamune himself betrayed him and Kit.

"I didn't realize....." Gregory said totally confused as he attempts to unseath his sword and attempt to repel the Captain of the Air Pirates; "How did you know?"

"Only the prince of pirates would ever know what the treasure was....." Don Karnage as he threw the container towards the feet of Masamune; the container breaks causing that same orange sweet smell to flow through;" When I hired you; I knew from the start that the Emerald was on TerraStone Island. Now; my traitorous flea, Did you honestly think in ya wildest dreams that I; the famous Don Karnage did not do my proper research and find out that I couldn't ignore a treasure find like this? I only decided to persue this after Gregory discovered that you were in fact on this island nearly three years ago....Only a great civilization like the Terrastone people would know that they lived and breathed because of this Emerald. You have been very helpful; both of you...."

"So there was no Pearl of Wisdom....You used me only to hurt Kit for your gain......You're dishonorable!" Gregory yelled as he started to close his eyes and drifted himself off to sleep; lying face down with his sword dropping safely beside him. Don Karnage nodded with approval proving that Masamune was right on the money.

"....Karnage......." Ernie could say no more as he closed his eyes and fell on his back asleep.

"....YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS!...." Kit screamed as he fell forward; eyes shut right on top of Gregory.

"Pay is something that you buy my little fleas...." Don Karnage said wildly and laughing at a very high pitch; "...and I Don Karnage do not have anything to buy from a traitorous flea!"

"That was perfect captain...... " Mad Dog responded with a whine and a hint of glee; "The shuffle worked."

"In more ways than one my brain-less second!" Don Karnage said with a giggling laugh as he walked towards Masamune and puts his foot on top of his face, Mad Dog grabs the the Emerald of Purification; "Little do people know that the Emerald's power will be used to cleanse the souls of those silly furry-type person of Cape Suzette. I'll be able to create an army of mindless zombines to do my bit bidding. Today Cape Suzette; tommorrow the world; next week the universe; and by the end of the month the Grand Design!"

Don Karnage has won.... or has he?

 

End of Chapter 3


Chapter Four

Return to TerraStone Summary and Purpose

Return to Kit Cloudkicker Fanfics Page

Return to the Unofficial Kit Cloudkicker Homepage


Special Thanks to 50 Webs for providing space for this webpage. Click here to find out how you can get your free homepage and 60 Megabytes of webspace.